Watching the Carousel Develop

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Watching the Carousel Develop

Viewing 25 posts - 851 through 875 (of 1,114 total)
  • Author
    jay95
    Participant

Of course as soon as I write that they make a couple of bone headed fouls and he definitely looks like HWSNBN, maybe that alone should rule him out.

Class of 95

Wulfpack
    Participant

I don’t think Bennett is ever leaving St. Mary’s. He’s flirted with many Pac 12 jobs, but has always decided to stay. He’s a Gael lifer, so it seems. And he sure isn’t coming East.

Adventuroo
    Participant

NCSU “Top Tier” Potential Coaching Candidates….OR as we are KNOWN….KISS OF DEATH. Three of them (Four if you added Mouton) APPEAR to be out in the FIRST Round (Game).

If I was Archie, I would be seeking out a Witch Doctor or some other person (preferably from New Orleans) and having them “cleanse” myself and my team and the venue. Wonder HOW MANY of the “Candidates” will be chit chatting with Ms. Debbie tomorrow?

Bennett does look like a clone of Herbie who was often seen at Goodberry’s and Krispy Kreme with B J Anya and Charles Barkely…

WWW is officially “can be talked to….”.

jay95
    Participant

Well, let’s hope DY is not jumping at the chance to hire Wade or Keats now that they are done. I hope she aims higher, does everything possible to get Marshall out of the wheat fields.

Class of 95

StateRed44
    Participant

Steve Alford just said he is not focused on the Indiana opening.

bet he ends up there

Fastback68
    Participant

St. Patrick’s Day miracle

WTNY
    Participant

’04: Given wade’s inexperience his not having played compounds the problem.

Were he a more successful, seasoned coach it wouldn’t matter.

ryebread
    Participant

I watched both Keatts and Wade’s teams again today. I’d see a half dozen games out of each team this year and UNCW again impressed me more. I prefer their style and there was a far bigger discrepancy in talent between UNCW and UVA than between VCU and St. Mary’s. Yes the last possession of UNCW was ugly, but much of the game for VCU was ugly.

That’s actually been consistent of the games I’ve seen out of VCU this year. Maybe it is just me, but they just never look that good. They play hard but they foul a lot, the offense is ugly and they have no shooters. I also thought Wunderkid again got outcoaches tonight, admittedly by a guy I’ve been a big fan of for a long time. It’s too bad Bennett is staying at St. Mary’s.

Wade and Keatts are both huge gambles at about the same level in my mind. One has a better platform currently to work from and inherited more. Neither have really shown the ability to punch up. I’m not sure why anyone would want one candidate and be diametrically opposed to the other.

robpack93
    Participant

’04: Given wade’s inexperience his not having played compounds the problem.

Were he a more successful, seasoned coach it wouldn’t matter.

He played church league

Wulfpack
    Participant

I thought both VCU and UNCW were very disorganized. They play hard – but that should be a given. UNCW could have won that game but they kept chucking awful threes, and their defense is horrendous, as it has been all year. I honestly don’t see what anyone sees in Keatts. There have been a million of these guys.

OutWestWolf
    Participant

^
    yep – he should be last option – likely Moton should be higher on the list

wolfpackdawg
    Participant
    JeremyH
    Participant

Think about this for a moment..

If Cuttino Mobley ever got together with Richard Pitino, the wedding invite would read:

Dick and Cuttino Pitino…

…whereas “Pitino Cuttino” would also serve as an expression used by Middle Tennessee’s coach to demphasize the opposing coach’s lineage..

choppack1
    Participant

Haven’t seen unfair play but boy was vcu ugly.

That a disgusting display. They do play hard but they don’t play smart and their offense is pedestrian. Truthfully, I was more impressed with nccu.

ryebread
    Participant

Chop: That’s the way they’ve looked every time I’ve seen them play this year. They win on effort, the fact that the refs won’t call every foul, and by having more athletic players. To me they look like the team that rolls the balls out that BJD talks about.

I think it is also why Wade is 3-13 agains the Power 5 + Big East. That style of play can beat up on teams with lesser talent (and VCU has about the second most I’ve seen in the A10 behind Rhode Island this season), but it doesn’t really work against teams with more skilled players.

Contrast that with Archie who is 23-13 against the P5+Big East (and actually has done better against those opponents than Marshall or Holtmann). Miller’s team is smaller and looks much more like a mid-major, but they’re better basketball players who move the ball with the pass, move without the ball and play smothering half court defense. Give me that any day.

I just don’t understand the crush some have in Wade. He’s going to have to win his next 20 in a row against the P5+Big East to match Archie. He is the scariest coach in the search to me because he reminds me of a cross of DD and Sendek. Shudders…

If we’re rolling the dice at that level, give me Keatts. He’ll boom or bust much quicker, and I personally think he’s done more with less than Wade. And yeah, he’s not really punched up well either as yesterday pushed him to 0-5 against the P5+Big East.

I don’t think Marshall is in play, and there are rumors that Holtmann is already out. Regardless, those two and Archie look significantly better than Wade and Keatts to me.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Oh, I’d take Arch all day and then some. We should have alumni selling kidneys for his salary fund, if need be.

The A-10 is at least a real league, is what Wade has going for him. He’s won a level above Chattanooga. And at multiple locations.

Wade and Keatts aren’t the only backup coaches in the world. Presumably, we paid this firm $90K so as not to be limited to coaches our donor base has seen and/or eaten hush puppies with.

JeremyH
    Participant

in other words the dank reality is anything beyond 1st tier is rolling dice… I guess we knew that.

Rick
    Keymaster

I am officially worried about how the coaching search turns out. I already had concerns with Yow running it but if those two are really that high on the list and we whiff on Arch then we are in big trouble. This is the most important hire in decades and I fear we are screwed.

Adventuroo
    Participant

BDJ95,

You need to contact AD Yow with your fundraising ideas. VCU never got that drastic…they only farmed out their wives and daughters….did that for 3 of the 4 years that Shaka was in “Play” starting in 2011. Maybe it was in 15 that they were faced with the “cut me open and take what you want…” syndrome and that is why he went to UT. Oil was around $64 then….so they were still OK with their “Conventional” funding of a coach.

I totally agree with you…we should keep reaching for the stars, but be prepared to get knee knocked by a old man, in UNC garb, driving his tuned up “scooter” with fresh AGM batteries (if you have ever visited some Senior Citizen facilities, these puppies run SILENT (like a Sub) and will sneak up on your and THEN blow their horns).

Archie or whomever of equal credentials SHOULD be our target. I would also hope that the $90K list has names that we would recognize but never thought would be in play. If my layman’s take is correct on how these guys work, they ought to be training our CIA Ops… Reminds me of the old joke….find a good cabbie in Vegas and ask HIM where the best girls work and hang out and tip him well….in terms of the money, the $90K is equivalent to that compared to what the Lady and her “Agent” will want.

Today will also start to sort out the field. I was not really that impressed with any of the folks that “Now Available”. The Indiana gig MAY work (here I sound like an expert) in our favor is some of our “LISTEES” are hankering for would consider THAT gig. SO, we can wait and maybe get sloppy seconds….you never know…

tvp1
    Participant

The rumor/theory making the rounds online is that Keatts is a “soft verbal.” Basically, we are going to take a run at Archie and he understands that. If it falls through, there’s an understanding in place with him.

BJD – I’m not sure there is anyone else besides Wade/Keatts at the Archie backup, particularly if Holtmann is out. I like Richard Pitino: same age as Wade but with years of experience in the P5 already, won this year at one of the worst P5 jobs, obviously not afraid of a challenge, great lineage/pedigree. And he’d surely leave Minnesota in a heartbeat, as long as he wouldn’t mind facing Pops 1-2x a year. But I haven’t seen that he’s a candidate.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

in other words the dank reality is anything beyond 1st tier is rolling dice… I guess we knew that.

We’ve seen that up-close and personal.

Pack1997
    Participant

I would prefer Chris Collins instead of Wade and Keatts. I know the Duke connections but he is a smart bball player, eats breathes and sleeps basketball, comes from a basketball family. If we are going to roll the dice roll it on him.

Wulfpack
    Participant

If we get rejected enough times and have to hire Keatts then you guys won’t see me around here any longer. Of course, many of you would be perfectly happy with that. I do NOT see him working out by any measure.

StateRed44
    Participant

I doubt Collins would come here, but who knows. I would rather have him than anybody except the M&M boys. I would certainly ask Collins. If they don’t even ask that is piss poor. Throw Pitino in as the other guy I’d ask. If all 4 say no I guess its Keats.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I do NOT see him working out by any measure.

If that was the criteria for leaving, I would have left a decade ago. Stay….Hope for the best….watch it all crash and burn. That pretty much sums up the last decade of Wolpfack basketball.

Viewing 25 posts - 851 through 875 (of 1,114 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.