Watching the Carousel Develop

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Watching the Carousel Develop

Viewing 25 posts - 1,051 through 1,075 (of 1,114 total)
  • Author
    albunde55
    Participant

Keatts $300,000 to 2.2 million! Don’t know why Keatts would jump at job. Gott 2.5 million per year. One thing you can say for sure, is we can find a bargain! Everyone of us needs to wear out Yow’s phone!

OutWestWolf
    Participant

^ Wow, you weren’t kidding Yow gave him a 6 year, 2.2 million annually deal. He went from 600K to 2.2 million.

albunde55
    Participant

^ Wow, you weren’t kidding Yow gave him a 6 year, 2.2 million annually deal. He went from 600K to 2.2 million.

Yes she did, I emailed her that I was available for any open positions in her office or with Wolfpack Club!
    Now you know now Maryland went broke!

Adventuroo
    Participant

You boys (not very PC of me) are hyperventilating….

OK…First UP.

Please post your LIST that the Consultant gave us….so we can drool over the top 15 that AD Yow decided NOT to pursue.

FACTIOD…get REAL. The NCAA has all sorts of “rules”….like you can cater a $500 per person bash for a player or recruit at YOUR house, but you can’t provide transportation and you can’t buy him a big Mac, even if he meets you at the Mall.

OK…so much for the logic of the NCAA rules….and, if you are having difficulty without MORE caffeine following this….read ON.

The “Consultant” is what levels the Playing Field when it comes to seeking out coaches. The Consultants are an “Arms Length” transaction NOT in violation of the NCAA rules about AD’s contacting Coaches without FIRST notifying the Coach’s school that they MIGHT be interested in hiring said big time coach away.

The Consultant works in the murky world of the agents. The agents (like lawyers…client privilege) can chit chat with their clients and their clients can tell them about schools that MIGHT or ARE interested in them. The Client can tell the Agent WHICH schools (if he wants to be on the block) that he would consider….

The Consultant is FREE (no NCAA violation) to talk to the Agent(s) and then put together a LIST of potential Clients. GOT THAT? I can provide a flow chart if needed…

NOW…. If that does NOT answer the original question, let me try it again. If Archie and Marshall (or OTHERS) told their Agents NO….not even MAYBE, then THEIR names would NOT be on the LIST. Next up. The Consultant can then, if we persist, go back to the Agent…and can make ANOTHER pitch….

Yow knew that things were going SOUTH mid season. She had a LIST of her own with Rankings. Since you guys KNOW that Archie was “just waiting and salivating and bidding his time at Dayton for us to call”….then SHE obviously got the word.

BUT, if Arch’s Agent said NO or if John said NO or is Sean said NO or the family dog said NO due to HB2, then that KILLED that.

NO, I can NOT tell you WHO (if any) of the P5 Big Time Coaches or the NEXT Tier or the Next lower Tier was on the list.

All I can tell you with certainty is that IF there were ANY P5 coaches (or others) that WERE interested in coming to NCSU, that this is the ONLY (Ethical…is a stretch…but “Accepted and PROVEN method) of judging their interest.

As to the MONEY. Yow DID MESS UP. She THOUGHT….based on 4 years of NCAA appearances that GOTT had turned the corner and that he WOULD be lured away (he can EASILY BE LURED….!!). So, she bumped him…

NOW…before you get your red NCUS shorts (or G Strings) in a wad…she only UPPED his Guaranteed (Buy Out) by $10 K…but she DID add TWO years. Ever buy a “Sure Thing” stock that all the analysts were touting and have it GO SOUTH…I have…don’t do it as often now…but it happens.

The $2.2 is a little of a surprise….but until I see the FULL details (the Guaranteed vs the Supplemental and the Incentives) and THEN compare that to Gottfried’s contract….it is a bit premature to comment.

EOR…

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Ima gonna change course and declare this the greatest hire that’s ever been made. I didn’t know this about Keatts. But he has roots at Ferrum College. That little school nestled in the Blue Ridge produces winning coaches. I kid you not. Something about it. It’s a tiny juggernaut that’s produced many diamonds in the rough.

Welcome Mr. Keatts.

heavy
    Participant

Sorry, there seems to be something very wrong with the culture at State. Whether it is Yow, proximity to the blues, apathy, too much big $ looking to take care of their friends etc but the basketball search results have been underwhelming. Gott and now Keats? I think Randy and Debbie (or their replacements) need to figure out why State cannot attract the top candidates.

Texpack
    Participant

Wait and see. That’s my plan. Go Pack!

GoldenChain
    Participant

I agree with BoB. I also agree with what I’ve posted several time (and was deleted the last time) that the reality is the program just doesn’t have the money or the brand to attract the top tier candidates. End of story.

Hey we did well with a high school coach and then one out of Iona so no reason that this one can’t be just as good.
    He has a clean reputation with no baggage (i.e. like Gott had from ‘bama), he has college level success (unlike Sid), and he knows the regional high school landscape (unlike any of the recent coaches).
    We tried going for the glitzy one and dones and had some success but now its time to go back to fundamentals and build a program around solid players that stay 3 or 4 years and develop.
    Plus he’s a young up ‘n comer and with the blues aging out he may build something good and solid.

We were never going to get a plug-n-play tier 1 coach, let’s face it.

I’m satisfied Debbie did the best she could do given her resources and the situation.

ancsu87
    Participant

This sucks.
    Yow screwed up again.
    Another coach with no defense or morals.

Please let us all know what you have learned about Mr. Keatts morals.

+1

heavy
    Participant

So if this was the best hire we could do with our resources (interpreted as $$$), we really hosed up by not joining the SEC when we had opportunity.

TheCOWDOG

“Morals”?
    Call me naive, but years spent coaching at a military prep might provide some insight as to “morals”.

No evidence or scuttlebutt that he was part of hookergate. In fact, he left because a D1 school thought him worthy enough to hire.

I would have a tendency to question the morality of people quick to character judgement without having knowledge of a damn thing.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Somebody earlier asked what Gott is up to. He’s currently a guest with the Pistons as Stan Van Gundy invited him to hang around.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.al.com/v1/articles/20330450/mark_gottfried_chimes_in_on_un.amp

MP
    Participant

He has a clean reputation with no baggage

I’m confused… Rick said he’s immoral. WHICH IS IT???

Tau837
    Participant

I assume Yow investigated Archie’s interest and found that he wasn’t ready to accept the job. With that assumption, I like this hire for all the reasons others like chop and rye have posted.

Some of the reaction in this forum is ridiculous. Not much different than “the monkey board.”

Rick
    Keymaster

Six years 2.2 mil per. Wow

2.2 per year? For 6 years? No way she is that stupid!

She is. Her idiocy knows no bounds.

Rick
    Keymaster

He has a clean reputation with no baggage

I’m confused… Rick said he’s immoral. WHICH IS IT???

He was there. So you all seem to think the head recruiter knew nothing about hookers being hired for the very players he was recruiting.
    How naive.

StateRed44
    Participant

Excited by this hire. He’s a winner. Hope we press lots and create havoc. Will be fun to watch. You guys can stay sour, best of luck with that.

Adventuroo
    Participant

See the Archie Ain’t Coming (turned us FLAT @$$ DOWN) thread. Sign up for the Snowflake Counseling…..spaces are limited…

There will be a decided lack of Monday productivity for “some” as they still be hostile and need EAC (Employee Assistance Counseling) or whatever it is called.

Hope they did not get too wet in the rain….when they were on the edge…

Sure wish I knew HOW to embed this so that it popped up and played. I think that the character is a composite of a LOT of folks here…..

ATT Mailman Internet Commercial Shower Scene….

MP
    Participant

He was there. So you all seem to think the head recruiter knew nothing about hookers being hired for the very players he was recruiting.
    How naive.

Interesting… I wonder why the powers that be who preferred him did not focus on this. Particularly if they are as risk-averse as being portrayed.

Texpack
    Participant

How naive.

Interesting… I wonder why the powers that be who preferred him did not focus on this. Particularly if they are as risk-averse as being portrayed.

I’d be curious why he wasn’t even interviewed by the NCAA about it. Was there ever a definitive reason given that he wasn’t interviewed?

ryebread
    Participant

College basketball and football are a very dirty business. I’m of the opinion that most don’t want to
    how the sausage is made. They’d instead like to believe that “their team” is clean and everyone else is
    cheating. Just doesn’t work that way unless you have a massively good institutional level cover up (UNC) or actually are fairly clean and lose a lot (State).

I’d bet the search firm checked in on this. That is part of what they are paid to do.

BKwolf
    Participant

Goodman reporting that Wade is a frontrunner for LSU job.

pakfanistan
    Participant

And Boeheim heir Mike Hopkins to Washington.

pappy
    Participant

Guys, I’m a huge Gregg Marshall fan. Please read the USA Today article below.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/mvc/2014/02/04/college-basketbal-wichita-state-coach-gregg-marshall/5202599/

He would be a great fit at State and has that ‘edge’ needed to be successful in the ACC. A proven winner.

Marshall is paid 3 mil/yr. Gott is paid 2 mil.
    Here are salaries of some other top coaches for perspective:

K 7.3M
    Calipari 6.6M
    Pitino 6M
    Self 4.8M
    S Miller 4.5M
    Izzo 3.5M
    Matta 3.4M
    Huggins 3.3M
    Dixon 3.2M
    Cream 3.2M
    Smart 2.8M
    Wright 2.5M

We have to decide if we are serious about getting back to elite status. If we are, then we need to go after Gregg Marshall and pay well (4M?).

If we’re only lukewarm serious, then we go after others.
    I know a lot of people like Archie, and we could probably get him. At this point, however, we can’t afford to take chances. The wrong guy and we’re cooked!

you forgot Cuonzo Martin just got a contract at freakin’ Mizzou for $3 mil per year for 7 years…State can’t do better than that? I thought State was a BBall school

Pappy Q

JeremyH
    Participant

It’s too late Pappy, we went cheap, not serious about sports.

Viewing 25 posts - 1,051 through 1,075 (of 1,114 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.