Watching the Carousel Develop

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Watching the Carousel Develop

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 1,114 total)
  • Author
    BJD95
    Keymaster

Hey man, I said that 20% was “at best” 😀

In my quickie math, I think you have to think Marshall is about 3.5 times more likely to succeed here to go after him than Arch.

But yes, you do preliminary work with the consulting firm to put bones on those ballpark percentages before you pick your dance partner.

The grey area is how much butt sniffing you can do before you have to shit or get off the pot. I think it’s well before the interview phase, but yeah – don’t have to decide immediately without due diligence of any kind, either.

Without having the benefit of State’s diligence, I would presume we go after Arch. I can’t even really fathom a 3rd “A List” name, at this point.

If Crean gets fired, he would be my Plan B – again, subject to due diligence.

MrPlywood
    Participant

If we don’t get [Arch], Duke or UNC might get him in next few years, and I sure don’t want to play AGAINST him!

Many acknowledge that no Dookie or unx alum would coach at State, nor would State fans want them. Would the same go for Arch with Dook or unx? I don’t know. If he won’t coach at either place, or they don’t want him, then coaching at State would be his only shot at getting a Tobacco Road ACC gig.

Wufpacker
    Participant

quickie math

According to “quickie math” I got laid twice last night.

wolfmanmat
    Participant

No way is Arch getting the Duke or UNC job ever. Duke and UNC have way to much ego to ever ever hire an NC State alum. Duke has a laundry list of K disciples and they will hire one of those. UNC may not hire one of there own but they wouldn’t ever hire Archie. They have way too much ego for that and I’d guess Roy would want one of his own in there like K will. Maybe 20 years down the road Archie gets a call from unc or duke but it won’t happen while K and Roy are alive.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Every Duke grad I know thinks it will be Brad Stevens next. Otherwise, it will be who K designates.

The Holes have no clear successor but as one of the Top 3 jobs, they will get whoever they want (as long as they don’t repeat the foolish “family” notion).

Phil Ford would have given his left nut for our job, but…Phil Ford.

wolfmanmat
    Participant

I’ve heard Brad Stevens to Duke but I don’t know if that happens or not. Boston Celtics is a pretty high profile job and coach K wants to leave his legacy there. That’s Collins or some other Duke player. Unc won’t hire a coach without big 5 success unless they hire their own. I could see Arch coaching Indiana but unc and Duke aren’t coming calling Archie at this point. He goes to Indiana and has huge success then maybe, but he doesn’t satisfy either program’s fan base or AD at this point or in the near future.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

He was talking about Marshall ending up at UNC or Duke, not Arch. At least that’s the way I read it.

If Marshall doesn’t want to come here then he can kiss my narrow white honky ass.

Texpack
    Participant

No way is Arch getting the Duke or UNC job ever. Duke and UNC have way to much ego to ever ever hire an NC State alum. Duke has a laundry list of K disciples and they will hire one of those. UNC may not hire one of there own but they wouldn’t ever hire Archie. They have way too much ego for that and I’d guess Roy would want one of his own in there like K will. Maybe 20 years down the road Archie gets a call from unc or duke but it won’t happen while K and Roy are alive.

The second and third best coaches in Duke history were State grads.

74wolf
    Participant

Troll is correct. I was referring to the possibility that Gregg Marshall could end up at Duke or UNC in a couple of years.
    We need to go after him now. Just my opinion….

StateRed44
    Participant

This is my feeling. In other words if he wants to coach on tobacco road, it’s here and now or nowhere.

Gowolves
    Participant

I’ve heard Brad Stevens to Duke but I don’t know if that happens or not. Boston Celtics is a pretty high profile job and coach K wants to leave his legacy there. That’s Collins or some other Duke player. Unc won’t hire a coach without big 5 success unless they hire their own. I could see Arch coaching Indiana but unc and Duke aren’t coming calling Archie at this point. He goes to Indiana and has huge success then maybe, but he doesn’t satisfy either program’s fan base or AD at this point or in the near future.

If Arch had huge success at Indiana (NC or two, that’s how I define huge success) he won’t leave for any job.

Greywolf
    Participant

According to “quickie math” I got laid twice last night.

According to “quickie math” I get get laid almost every day. Almost on Monday, almost on Tuesday, almost every day…

BJD95
    Keymaster

The maths also works for me, as long as the square root of negative 1 is involved! :p

tractor57
    Participant

something about the angle of the dangle …

WTNY
    Participant

IMO, Archie isn’t coming because Papa Miller will tell him not to, just like he told Sean vis-a-vis Pitt:

http://triblive.com/sports/college/pitt/10189728-74/miller-guy-coach

John Miller expressed concerns about unrealistic expectations at Pitt.

“I just think it’s a very, very difficult job,” he said, specifically alluding to the ACC competition Pitt faces annually. “Coach K (Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski). (North Carolina coach) Roy (Williams). (Syracuse coach Jim) Boeheim. (Louisville coach) Rick Pitino. Start adding them all up. It’s brutal.”

tvp1
    Participant

IMO, Archie isn’t coming because Papa Miller will tell him not to, just like he told Sean vis-a-vis Pitt:

“I just think it’s a very, very difficult job,” he said, specifically alluding to the ACC competition Pitt faces annually. “Coach K (Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski). (North Carolina coach) Roy (Williams). (Syracuse coach Jim) Boeheim. (Louisville coach) Rick Pitino. Start adding them all up. It’s brutal.”

Those four coaches will all be retired w/in 5 years, most likely. But yes, this seems to be the way the Millers view the world. I haven’t seen a single “insider” type express confidence that Archie will come back here. I almost think we have a better shot at Marshall, who has made plenty of $ and may be getting bored in Kansas, looking for his one shot to take on the big boys.

JeremyH
    Participant

Archie's got a tough decision

Archie’s got a tough decision..

Tau837
    Participant

Pretty disappointing take from Arch’s father. If Arch agrees with him, then better for us to hire someone else. If he doesn’t, then he’s our guy.

wolfmanmat
    Participant

Arch wins a title at a power 5 and he’s probably staying there. Point is UNC isn’t hiring the Dayton coach unless it was a UNC guy. I do agree that they would look at Marshall ahead of Arch.

packbackr04
    Participant

Morgan Miller tweet
    Arch’s wife isnt helping our collective heartburn over the situation. I expect a well measured and coherent response to her post from Wolfpack nation.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BballWife4Life/status/833508256874065920/photo/1

WTNY
    Participant

tvp1 — I agree. The new coach has a chance to get established and then take advantage when one (or more!) of those teams falter when replacing their coach.

If Archie isn’t up to the challenge, let’s move on.

WTNY
    Participant

Here’s a nice article:
    DBR: Featherston: Why Does The Media Hate NC State?

Can State be great again? Of course it can.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Morgan Miller tweet
    Arch’s wife isnt helping our collective heartburn over the situation. I expect a well measured and coherent response to her post from Wolfpack nation.

I know these two things are not connected but I spoke with a guy that works in the WPC this weekend and he said the general tone about Miller coming was positive, much more so than the national pundits.

I think if the stars align and a couple things break our way we can hire him if we wanted with what we may potentially be offering.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Morgan Miller tweet

I don’t speak Twitter, but I got a semi from that. Been saying from Jump Street that Mrs. Arch will surely be the deciding factor. NC State is a very good job. Ohio State is a very good job. What makes Mrs. Arch the happiest?? I think Arch himself (based on the profile of his makeup and his ego) would lean wolven anyway. So even if Papa Miller loves tOSU, I think Mrs. Arch is the “3rd vote” so to speak.

Pack1997
    Participant

To me it is simple, after our due diligence is done.

1) First shot at Miller or Marshall but only one.

2) If that fails, Maybe a Holtzman or Creen, depending on our due diligence.

3) Keats – Last resort which I still view as an upgrade.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 1,114 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.