Watching the Carousel Develop

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Watching the Carousel Develop

Viewing 25 posts - 726 through 750 (of 1,114 total)
  • Author
    freshmanin83
    Participant

It is a destination if you want to uphold the winning tradition. It is a stepping stone out of town if you do not.

Adventuroo
    Participant

I SINCERELY am pulling for Gottfried to go SOMEWHERE….at at least 3/4 Million and stay there for at least three years. I hope he wins on the court and continues to “win” off the court.

NOW, for the INFO of the DAY….and DON’T take that too seriously. Email version of THE WOLFPACKER (dot Com or maybe BOMB) came today. THEIR take on the Coaching Search…

Games to Watch…

UNC-W Keats got the ONLY Picture in the Article….looked for the Murphy Photo Credit, but did not find it.
    VCU
    Winthrop
    Dayton Vs. Cornfield State from Wherever….(Wichita State). Arch got top billing but “Remember that Wonderful Year…2010” when the LEO guy was in the mix….

Did not mention the game I’m watching now…NCCU.

McCallum
    Participant

If “win” off the court = score I think Lover Boy “wins” often.

He couldn’t coach the 85 Bears how to play defense.

McCallum

BJD95
    Keymaster

Everyone will listen if UCLA, Kentucky, or U*NC calls. Maybe Indiana or Kansas, too.

Those are the 5 that can say “absolute destination.”

It’s shades of grey for everyone else.

Could be that Tier 2 is eroding because of how confident we are in Tier 1, but Good Lord above this makes me antsy.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Roo – I absolutely love the Central coach’s sportscoat and tie. I have no doubt he’s a dude and we’d like him, it’s just such an IMMENSE step up in competition.

Like him better than Keatts, though.

McCallum – I’m sure MG would enjoy working his charms across the Bay area, but he might find his aggressive nature doesn’t exactly…fit the culture??

I chuckled at the thought, though.

duckfatrules
    Participant

Everyone will listen if UCLA, Kentucky, or U*NC calls. Maybe Indiana or Kansas, too.

Those are the 5 that can say “absolute destination.”

Would Duke Michigan and maybe Texas be in that top tier?

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… confirming the Bay Area is out of Gott’s other league…
    better for him to stay somewhere in the South — from Richmond to Gainesville,Fl to El Paso to St. Louis….

Hey… GOTT your face slapped lately or worse ???

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    BJD95
    Keymaster

MI and TX – nope. Those are football schools.

I like how even Central’s last 3 guys on the bench are white. Probably there on minority scholarships (seriously – at least those were available when I was in HS).

redwolf87
    Participant

Would Duke Michigan and maybe Texas be in that top tier?

I’d say Duke probably (based on last 30 years). Michigan and Texas, not so much. Always second fiddle to football no matter how much money they can throw at you.

As trite as it sounds, money ain’t everything.

redwolf87
    Participant

I’m in for Moten over Keatts.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

I wasn’t referring to sports or schools… just cultures…

I guess that does mean that Gott could “successfully” replace Patino or Calipari at DaVille or UK….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Adventuroo
    Participant

I was thinking the SAME thing about Mouton’s coat, but left it out. Brevity, DonChaNow…

Was thinking that if you had a Hounds Tooth RED (Flaming as in what folks often do here) and WHITE. That would be in Lowe’s League. Sure beats the Light Blue haze floating around our bench for 5 years.

Pity they lost…Announcers did PLUG Mouton for the NCSU job. Don’t know if they used “Dream”? And if so, was it IN your Dreams or Dream job of the P5.

Right now…NCAAT 2 – NC Teams ZILCH…

I’m halfway expecting the OcalaCobra to open up an account and chime in here….he (she?) has a Twitter Account. Wonder what OC’s prediction is? Based on the size and skin of that puppy, it might take a Supreme Court Judge (20 Gage) to end the trail of terror.

Time for a drink…

FergusWolf
    Participant

Well, since Moton is out, I expect we will make our announcement tomorrow. That’s what the announcers were saying, anyway.

MrPlywood
    Participant

I was thinking along those lines. But the subset of coaches who would be considered for those jobs is pretty small. I’m thinking about this primarily in regard to Arch and Marshall, who might well be want bigger jobs than State, now or in the future.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Arch is a smart guy, who understands timing and leverage. He’s at his best “shop window” value right now.

Now, if he had some reason to believe a “Top 5” job like Indiana was coming open next season and he’d be a lock for it…sure he could wait. But just to be one of many candidates? Coming off a likely re-building year??

Similarly, take a parallel job in our tier. He might pick, say, tOSU if it came open this off-season. But it didn’t. Again, timing is everything. Which is why so many in wolven circles were so worried State wouldn’t make a move this season, and we would miss the boat on Arch. Just because he likes our job (and may like tOSU) doesn’t mean he’s gonna wait forever and squander his leverage.

StateRed44
    Participant

I’m in for Moten over Keatts.

Not me.

saigonwolf
    Participant

For those of you liking Moton, and other coaches at small schools who are doing a great job, I’ve got a little reminder for you – Back in the 80s, there was a coach at a little school called East Tennessee State University. Y’all have heard of them – they’re playing UF in the Dance tonight, and they have a good basketball tradition. They did in the 80s too – even beat our beloved Jimmy V’s Wolfpack one season. The coach of that team? A guy named Les Robinson. I think y’all have heard of him too. We were so impressed with Les, who was also a Wolfpack alumnus, we hired him. Successful at a smaller school, Pack alum… perfect. What could go wrong?

My point here is this – while I agree with everyone we need an up-and-comer and not a P5 retread, we need to be wary of assuming that just because these guys at these small schools are tearing it up, it doesn’t guarantee success at the P5 level. The wiser choice, IMO, is to go after an up-and-comer who has been tested a little more (a slightly bigger school in a more competitive conference that has played more P5 schools on a regular basis). Show him a blank check, tell him to fill in his price, and GET HIM.

tractor57
    Participant

Les was fighting with his hands tied as a coach. As an AD his was a hot mess. I don’t think using him as an example for today is valid.

McCallum
    Participant

Nobody would hire Lover Boy.

His body of work is defined.

Shine bright, fade fast and in probably more ways than one.

McCallum

*gotta love Todd Turner, I hear the a$$ lives in West End.

Rick
    Keymaster

Nobody would hire Lover Boy.

His body of work is defined.

As is the “body” he likes to work.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I am just crapping on Keatts more than anything. Trust me.

Focus all of your mental and spiritual energy on Arch.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

we need to be wary of assuming that just because these guys at these small schools are tearing it up, it doesn’t guarantee success at the P5 level. The wiser choice, IMO, is to go after an up-and-comer who has been tested a little more (a slightly bigger school in a more competitive conference that has played more P5 schools on a regular basis). Show him a blank check, tell him to fill in his price, and GET HIM.

Even this approach isn’t guaranteed. Look at all of the successful coaches that got their big start at Xavier. Pete Gillen won more games there than anyone else…and he didn’t work out so good at UVA. State most likely isn’t looking at coaches that are proven in a P-5 conference, so there will always be some risk.

However, we (fans or AD) shouldn’t be looking for guarantees. We should be looking for chances for success. The last two hires came with really, really long odds at success. So I agree with your approach and hope that is what DY is doing. My fear is that she is going to reach down too far for someone who wouldn’t ever say no.

tractor57
    Participant

Just check the history of basketball hires for the Pack. Back in the day a HS school coach who was a home run hitter. Next an assistant hired from Clemson who took the task and did ok for a year then left. An alum that ended up winning a natty before he was run off. A up and comer who became the darling of the world and also won a natty. An alum who had teams that were always full of effort if not the skill needed. A mid major coach how became so reviled his name is no longer mentioned. Another alum who although all in could not coach his way out of a wet paper bag. A retread from a major school who apparently could not get beyond his past. So you make a choice and see where it leads. If you look at other schools in the conference you can see the same pattern. Obviously not easy to pick a star.

Mike
    Participant

Regarding Moton, I dont think he will be the guy, but anyone who knows him knows he would be a home run.

He can flat out coach, teach, X’s and O’s, whatever you want to call it. Just as important, his players would run through walls for him. Look at what went wrong over the last few years. As much as we needed X & O’s, player mutiny was just as much if not a bigger issue. Recruiting would not be an issue either at D-1, especially State. He is connected to AAU circuits and mommas want their boys playing for a man of his character.

Someone will hire Moton soon and make him a rich man, and will be rewarded for their “risk”. Guy can flat out coach.

tractor57
    Participant

I don’t know Moton will be a homerun. What I see I like and maybe so but as history shows hindsight is much more accurate than foresight.

Viewing 25 posts - 726 through 750 (of 1,114 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.