Watching the Carousel Develop

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Watching the Carousel Develop

Viewing 25 posts - 651 through 675 (of 1,114 total)
  • Author
    duckfatrules
    Participant

if we hire one of the coaches Miller, Keatts or Wade, what is normal?
    do coaches usually bring their whole staff with them or do they hire new assistants?
    seems that they would have a totally different level of budget and could select better assistants
    I would love to see bobby Lutz back on the bench as a statician and to see him hire a known recruiter

Adventuroo
    Participant

Yes, No, Maybe.

Some coaches will clean house and take their entire staff with them….and that is not only the coaches…but the support squad. ORW brought in, I THINK, most of his staff…but made sure that he brought Wayne Walden, his chief “Keep ’em ELIGIBLE” advisor, whom he said was MORE important that his Assistants….and this is in his BOOK. You have to dig in the bio’s and look at the staff when the coaches left and then the next year. Bill Self came in behind William from the outside, so there was not a “we don’t need to look elsewhere” situation.

However, if they have a top notch assistant that might be ready to move up. If the top assistant moves up, then there is more pressure on the other assistants as to who (assuming they are asked) they will sign up for.

Gottfried brought in coaches he had had before or worked with. Interesting….they recommended Bobby Lutz and Lutz was hired as the “Top” assistant. Lutz wants a HC job. Doubt he would come back…but never say never. Have NO idea what he is making now versus what we were paying him.

SO, there is not one “cookie cutter” answer. Folks that can trace the DNA of a coach can provide more insight.

Don’t forget, SOMETIMES an Assistant will NOT work out in the new organization. Then loyalty versus Coach’s Job Security is tested….and Coach’s Job usually overrules….that is why Gottfried played a very dangerous game, in that he did not recognize how much the team admired Lutz as well as Lutz’s contributions. When he failed to produce a winning record and our defense….as pitiful as it was….got WORSE….he had used his last trump card and the game was over.

nav
    Participant

So the big knock on State is that the fans are crazy and expect too much. For god’s sake we actually want to feel like our team is properly coached in both offense AND defense. But, I don’t get how the IU job could be considered a job with a more realistic and easier to please fanbase and thus a more desirable job. It does have that mythical history kinda like ND football.

Barring any uber tanking Lowe style, a coach is going to get 6 years here. Does any person realistically think that a coach at IU that keeps losing is going to have an easier time with their fanbase and last much longer? They’re just as stuck in the past as we are.

BKwolf
    Participant

NAV,

Not to mention that Indiana has won their conference 2 out of the last 5 years and they still might fire their coach.

BassPacker
    Participant

Don’t get the tag NC State is a hard job or sell to any coach, specially Archie Miller or even Greg Marshall. There has not been anything to raise the bar in NC State basketball since 1984. Zero Championships…Best we’ve seen is a few sweet 16, one Elite 8 and years of bubble bursting. If a prospective coach can’t handle the pressure to “measure” up to those accomplishments, then he needs to coach in the MEAC. If I was a coach, say like Miller or Marshall, would jump at NC State. Great fanbase, great (be it long ago) basketball tradition, great facilities, and a great conference. Which would come with a guaranteed multi-million dollar salary and incentives for atleast 6 yrs. If don’t work out, 6 years of 4 or more million a year makes for a great retirement portfolio. I see more shame in fearing the opportunity than taking the opportunity and perhaps failing.

Sure the neighborhood is tough, but as a coach, isn’t that what you want? Like a lot have said, come to NC State and succeed, heck least improve, and you will become royality. Beat the blues consistently and perhaps become a legend. Maybe that is the perception that NC State is a tough job, that we the fanbase expect to beat the Blues. At this point, would love to least see a team be competitive with the blues.

nav
    Participant

Shhhh BK. don’t tell anyone.

Someone might find out there is a media standard/code of conduct for us and one for everyone else undoubtedly.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I would expect one of Arch’s assistants to be promoted to the head job. He’s been there awhile, and been very successful, so I think they’d choose continuity.

Don’t know/care about the others right now. Laser-focused.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Sure the neighborhood is tough, but as a coach, isn’t that what you want?

And we’ve had no shortage of great players despite our struggles. You can absolutely recruit here.

duckfatrules
    Participant

hell we have run out of things to discuss, maybe we should compare assistant coaches with the top contenders

Wulfpack
    Participant

South Florida hired Brian Gregory. After being fired from GT, Gregory spent this season as a consultant for Tom Izzo.

Maurice Joseph was promoted to head coach at George Washington.

albunde55
    Participant

Don’t get the tag NC State is a hard job or sell to any coach, specially Archie Miller or even Greg Marshall. There has not been anything to raise the bar in NC State basketball since 1984. Zero Championships…Best we’ve seen is a few sweet 16, one Elite 8 and years of bubble bursting. If a prospective coach can’t handle the pressure to “measure” up to those accomplishments, then he needs to coach in the MEAC. If I was a coach, say like Miller or Marshall, would jump at NC State. Great fanbase, great (be it long ago) basketball tradition, great facilities, and a great conference. Which would come with a guaranteed multi-million dollar salary and incentives for atleast 6 yrs. If don’t work out, 6 years of 4 or more million a year makes for a great retirement portfolio. I see more shame in fearing the opportunity than taking the opportunity and perhaps failing.

Sure the neighborhood is tough, but as a coach, isn’t that what you want? Like a lot have said, come to NC State and succeed, heck least improve, and you will become royality. Beat the blues consistently and perhaps become a legend. Maybe that is the perception that NC State is a tough job, that we the fanbase expect to beat the Blues. At this point, would love to least see a team be competitive with the blues.

That was my point last night! No job in ACC is without expectations!

duckfatrules
    Participant

According to Scout.com, NCSU rookie Omer Yurtseven will test the NBA waters. Per the report, the 7-foot center will not hire an agent.

BKwolf
    Participant

http://www.dailycal.org/2017/03/13/cal-basketball-head-coach-cuonzo-martin-rumored-leave-illinois-head-coach-position/

Cal could be open soon. Would be a nice low pressure job for Archie to join his brother in the punishing Pac-12.

ryebread
    Participant

BK: Arch and his brother do not want to compete. They’ve said that in interviews, which is why they’ve not scheduled one another. I can’t see Arch taking Cal, and if Arch were at State, I can’t see Sean taking UNC or Duke (not that he’d likely be in play for those).

I think it’s Archie or Wade with Keatts as the floor. With each passing day, I personally feel better about Archie. Like BJD, that’s who I want and have wanted for several years.

I think our search will be will likely be done and announced by the end of next week…..

BKwolf
    Participant

The rumors of big brother advising against taking the job are hopefully just a ploy to get a bigger offer from State.

rthomas44
    Participant

I’m not as sure that the search will be over as soon as next week. I don’t see coaches climbing over each other to be chosen.

Radman
    Participant

I’m not as sure that the search will be over as soon as next week. I don’t see coaches climbing over each other to be chosen.

Not seeing coaches do anything is a good sign. Means the search is being undertaken more professionally than last time.

MrPlywood
    Participant

For god’s sake we actually want to feel like our team is properly coached in both offense AND defense.

^The definition of a delusional fan. 😉

TheCOWDOG

…Coaches are currently climbing over each other for a win in Tourney Time. If somebody has their head anywhere in the vacinity of Raleigh at this juncture, you don’t want’em.

Adventuroo
    Participant

GT fans should be rallying tonight. The WRECKS are now “out of past coaching SNAFU” payouts. This year was Gene Hewitt’s LAST year. Can’t remember if Gregory had one more or two more years. BUT, if he is “Coaching”, then GT is off the hook. Wording in the contract would have determined if he could pull a “Butcher” and got paid this year.

Beat GOES ON….Need to collect some data on the posts per day and then calculate the acceleration (estimated) as we close into the first round. Early losses for our “supposed” front runners will be to OUR advantage.

One of the issues last time was they all kept winning….so the “available ladies at the bar” was dwindling….and Shaka was the last train out of town….Bet AD Yow asks…”Is your wife pregnant” as one of the first questions. She will NOT be blindsided again.

MISTA WOLF
    Participant

Who y’all got tonight? Pulling for Wake?

Adventuroo
    Participant

Go DEAC’s. Manning has done a lot of “interviews” which WRAL has run. He sounds very intelligent and despite his size, his head seems to be screwed on and aligned correctly….and his manner of speech and handling of the interviews and questions impressed me. He may be a real @$$Hole elsewhere, but so far, I think that Wake made a good choice.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Eh, I like K State too. Happy for whoever wins.

I think we will be extremely happy or extremely pissed off this time next week.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Interesting….to me….perhaps others….article. A lot of insight….maybe? Last night I stayed up a little after midnight and was channel surfing for a “Put me to SLEEP Ballgame”. Unfortunately, ESPN was running Whitt’s “Survive and advance”. Could NOT resist it….may fade tonight during the WFU game.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/article138401363.html

tvp1
    Participant

I will say, the more I read about Keatts the better I feel about him. There’s a long post someone did on the Pack Pride premium boards analyzing his defense and making the case that he does have a sound scheme, it’s just hamstrung somewhat by having a 6-7 “big” as his “rim protector.”

I see his reasonable optimistic outcome as “Gott-like, but with players actually playing hard consistently and without so much on- and off-court drama.” Which would be better than anyone we’ve had post-V.

Viewing 25 posts - 651 through 675 (of 1,114 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.