Watching the Carousel Develop

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Watching the Carousel Develop

Viewing 25 posts - 576 through 600 (of 1,114 total)
  • Author
    Texpack
    Participant

Go Texas southern

How ironic that a team that didn’t have to win its conference tournament final because their opponent had a low APR is playing the CHeats. Michael Strahan is a TSU alum.

tvp1
    Participant

It will be Keatts.

Yow’s top priority will be avoiding another drawn-out disaster like 2011 and 2006. So she will press the easy button. Keatts wants the job and will campaign hard for it, sounds like he is already. He’ll have reasonable salary demands. Local and national media will praise the hire (said praise coming with an implicit or explicit “they finally figured out their place” message). It won’t be hard to sell most fans – coming off a huge year, turned around UNCW quickly, Pitino lineage, great recruiting ties. He will kill it in the first press conference.

If and when it doesn’t work out, Yow will be retired. She’ll have gone out on a high note and avoided controversy and embarrassment. Her successor will be left dealing with the fallout.

Just prepare yourselves. This is what will happen. Hell, maybe it even works out…though I doubt it will.

BJD95
    Keymaster

^ She will get absolutely roasted on these pages by me if she pulls that shit. No matter how smoothly he tries to sell his snake oil. I ain’t buyin’.

I don’t like cheering for Wahoowa, but to be safe, we need Tony’s boys to past the Sea birds.

Methinks our ACTUAL next coach has a very tough 2nd round matchup ahead of him, we can AND WILL cheer for him to win, and he will likely fight his ass off and come up just short, then we can hire him and there will be much rejoicing.

Tough row to hoe for Will Wade (2B) to make the Sweet Sixteen as well, though 2A (Holtmann) has a very realistic path.

tvp1
    Participant

^I do hope you are right.

And a tiny part of my holds out some hope for Marshall. Win 30 games and get “rewarded” with a 10 seed? C’mon, Gregg. It’s time to leave the minor leagues.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Not just winning 30, but ranked all year.

The Wolfpackers I roll with absolutely would not take too kindly to a Keatts hire IF he was the target. If we reached out to the more qualified guys mentioned ad nauseum and they all declined, then that is a different story.

JeremyH
    Participant

Keatts too much resembles Gott: reliance on grad transfers, good recruiter, bad defensive numbers. No thanks, no way, keep that to yourself. I’d rather have Lutz. The fanbase is starving for legit coaching talent, X-and-Os, defensive grit, the whole tub of shmear. That type of coaching recruits for itself. Marshall, Miller, Wade.

MrPlywood
    Participant

I agree that if Marshall and Arch weren’t sold before, they might be rethinking their situation now. Marshall especially. Come to the ACC Gregg and you’ll have built in schedule strength and have the perfect opportunity to prove yourself against the best of the best.

redwolf87
    Participant

I would love nothing more than to be wrong about Keatts, but I’ve actually seen them play start to finish a half dozen times this year, and they overpower people with talent that should be at a higher level. Half court defense is non-existent. I like the guy personally but there is nothing I’ve seen in UNCW’s style that translates into success for us.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Guys, you can’t lose with a Pitino protege, just look at Billy Donovan.

McCallum
    Participant

Or Ked Nesbreh

Expect something cheap and easy. A little pc possibly but never, ever underestimate the inability of the leviathan in Raleigh.

McCallum

rthomas44
    Participant

HWSNBN was a Pitino protege.

BassPacker
    Participant

Been hearing same as pvt said, Keatts is her target. Its a PC hire both with media and admin. The media will praise Yow with the hire, the Administration will praise Yow for the contract $$. And part of the fanbase will see Keatts numbers on paper and be happy. If it works, all is well. If not, as said, Yow will be sitting on a beach sipping a tropical drink.

I do have some hope now that Marshall will consider the job more after the NCAA snubbed him with the 10 seed. That may prove to him that he needs to move to a conference like ACC to get respect for his body of work. Anyone like me think that the NC State wannabe coaching match up game Dayton/W State will play out some with the media? Bet the media puts a negative spin on NC State with it.

Rick
    Keymaster

HWSNBN was a Pitino protege.

Paki can correct me if I am wrong but I think that was the joke.

StateRed44
    Participant

Everybody knows Archie has been reached. Impossible not to. If it’s Keats there is no doubt in my mind Archie said no. Not so sure about Marshall, but don’t care as much about him and his $5 xxlarge. So…at the end of the day, it is what it is 🙂

Wulfpack
    Participant

If Keatts is truly the best we can do, then let’s just fold up shop and join the SoCon. Va Tech hired Buzz Williams – yep. The jaugernaut that is Va Tech. If we can’t expect to have as good or better of a
    Coach than Va Tech, then count me out.

StateRed44
    Participant

I tend to agree. Va Tech doesn’t get bad mouthed at every step either.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Really, is hiring Keatts still considered PC? I thought PC had evolved into hiring “undocumented” people, or someone with an LBGQABCDEFG persuasion.

I’m not buying that he’s our target. Why even hire a search firm? I can tell you with fair amount of confidence though, if he is THE TARGET he is NOT the answer. As has already been pointed out by some here shared their eye test, Kenpom can confirm. He’s a carbon copy of Gott.

MISTA WOLF
    Participant

I don’t think Archie has the kahunas to come to State. I don’t care for Wade all that much because he inherited a good program that was built by Capel/Grant/Smart and sustained it. Maybe we get surprised? I’d throw dollars at Marshall, Drew or Underwood but I don’t know the financial side of what we can afford or offer.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/six-seeds-the-ncaa-tournament-committee-got-wrong-wichita-state-got-jobbed/

Good read about Wichita St. getting hosed. If GM’s drive is to be the best and ensure the least resistant path to obtaining some trophy hardware, then it’s obvious that it’s not ideal to be coaching in the wheat fields. He may just be looking to jump. It still going to take some coin for anyone to get him, but I think he gives us a look, and maybe Illinois.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I don’t care for Wade all that much because he inherited a good program that was built by Capel/Grant/Smart and sustained it.

Great point about VCU. I tend to think Wade is a good young coach that will buck the trend, but no question if you can’t win at VCU, you stink. I’d be ok if Wade is our fall guy, not Keatts. That is if Archie, Marshall and Holtmann said No.

UVa vs UNCW and Wichita/Dayton are now must see tv.

duckfatrules
    Participant

does anyone think Scott Drew is in the picture
    we all know who the candidates are, we all know who everyone’s favorites are and how they rank

what are the betting odds that who is hired

1) Wichita State – Gregg Marshall 00%
    2) Baylor – Scott Drew 5%
    3) Dayton – Archie Miller 20%
    4) Chris Holtmann – Butler 5%
    5) VCU Rams – Will Wade 30%
    6) SMU – Tim Jankovich <1%
    7) UNC-Wilmington – Kevin Keatts 35%
    8) somebody nobody has heard of and we have to Google their name 5%

StateRed44
    Participant

that’s spot on for %’s although I’d switch Marshall to Holtman and Holt to Jankovich

BassPacker
    Participant

I’d say all this jabbing toward Marshall, conference and the NCAA seeding gives us atleast a percentage point.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Problem with Marshall is that he may not be available for quite some time.

They’ll beat Dayton, and Kenpom shows Kentucky as a 1 point favorite on a neutral court against the Shockers. So basically a coin flip. If it lands heads and they get past Kentucky they’ll be playing for at least another week against beatable competition.

StateRed44
    Participant

Doubt he beats Kentucky. If he did, that would be the end of our shot I’d think anyway. If the beats Kentucky and UNC to go to a final four, give him the damn $5 million, hell give him $6

Viewing 25 posts - 576 through 600 (of 1,114 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.