Watching the Carousel Develop

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Watching the Carousel Develop

Viewing 25 posts - 501 through 525 (of 1,114 total)
  • Author
    pakfanistan
    Participant

Archie to Indiana
    Wade to Clemson
    Keatts to Georgetown or L’ville
    Collins to Duke in a couple of years when K retires
    Marshall to UNC when Williams retires, because they’ll pony up the cash for quality

National bloggers and sports writers to their keyboards to say, “I told you so”

Wolfpack fans to the pub to find peace in two ounce increments.

MrPlywood
    Participant

^ What’s the big deal? It was Holtmann alllll along.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I’d be thrilled with Holtmann. Over the moon with Archie or Marshall. Can we really not get one of these guys? We shall see…

ryebread
    Participant

Archie to Indiana
    Wade to Clemson
    Keatts to Georgetown or L’ville
    Collins to Duke in a couple of years when K retires
    Marshall to UNC when Williams retires, because they’ll pony up the cash for quality

I know you were saying this in jest, but that turn of events will not happen. UNC will never hire Marshall but will stay in the family. 😉

wolfmanmat
    Participant

I think he is right. UNC hires Kendall Marshall. We get Greg. Stay positive!

marinewolf
    Participant

Hiring the right guy-Wade or Holtman may leave for greener pastures if it opens, I think Marshall is a loyal guy to a point and money can be a factor, I think he could be here for a long time, he is not afraid of the neighborhood, he could be that guy that is wanted and needed (if you could get him for 4.5/5.0 ) so be it go get em. If not make Archie a priority, I think once we get him here, he won’t leave unless he loses our trust. Keatts would be a good hire 2.5 and if he is successful, give him a bump –
    1-Marshall (bite the bullet, just do it)
    2-Archie (bring him home and make him comfortable)
    3-Keatts (a project but is young and not afraid of the neighborhood)
    4-Wade or Holtman -a successful hire but lock em up
    6 could be a long shot or I didn’t see that coming or jeez I never thought about him!
    whoever it is will tell us more how the insiders view NC State, either swim, sink or just keep afloat, buzz at the tournament is Big bucks say Marshall, avg fan Archie, hearing Holtman and Wade mentioned frequently-maybe I will have to tune in David Glenn to find out the real truth-Ha Ha

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Just pay Marshall and be done with it. I dont understand why this is a hard concept. If he is going to piss off the media, the ACC and the blues then thats just an extra bonus. For the love of God just hire the man

Adventuroo
    Participant

Just curious….??

What if the MAN don’t wanna be hired? Coaches, like high class hookers, have their standards. Chew on that one for awhile.

Yow, I assume (believe), is assembling a list of candidates that SAY (via their agents as they are STILL coaching) would be amenable to have preliminary conversations with AD Yow. Those “behind closed doors” conversations are supposed to be TWO WAY.

State “Third Party Consultant”….we want you….

Agent….what are you willing to pay (Guaranteed and Supplemental…Incentives….length of contract).

State “TPC”….give us a range or some rough idea of what it might take for us to have some serious conversations after the season.

Agent….Upon further review….we ain’t interested…..OR OK…this is preliminary, but lets keep the dialog open and we can definitely start to judge BOTH of our interests AFTER the season is over…..OR (Fill In Blank).

That’s my take on it. Unless some of the high class agents gets snookered and blabs to a tell all journalist….we will (SHOULD) NOT know until after the second week of the NCAAT….UNLESS some high ranking Coach gets BOUNCED for a BOTCHED record (seemingly like we BOUNCED Coach G) and AD Yow thinks it would be a GREAT FIT….

BUT, like an early evening in the Saturday Night bar….you survey the territory. Assess the targets (How much and what services)….have a few drinks and start making your moves….with being rejected a few times as the norm.

Think Lt Pete Mitchell (Maverick whom our OWN Maverick WAS named after) in the opening Night Club Scene where he and Goose are making bets on his sexual satisfaction and the “methods” for that evening. Remember, Maverick “made it” with Charlie (Kelly McGinnis)….come to find out, Kelly later on switched sides and is happy with her “partner”. YOU NEVER KNOW….

Fastback68
    Participant

I imagine it’s almost a guarantee I get to spend the next 10-20 years reading about how State missed on the next greatest bb coach. There are approximately 8 different options the search committee could pursue. Some of these coaches aren’t coming no matter how much money you throw at them. But we will get bombarded about how so in so was right there for the taking. You can only pick one just like a wife. Unless you are Mormon. Maybe that’s what killed Paxton.

marinewolf
    Participant

agree with WP92–just freaking do it-if he is interested make him an offer he can’t refuse-K’s falling apart his body can’t take the strain to much longer and Roy is only 3 steps away from an insane asylum -do it now

Texpack
    Participant

This hire is the window of opportunity hire. Duke hasn’t hired a decent MBB coach in almost 40 years so there’s no reason to believe they will get K’s replacement right. The coaches at Syracuse, Louisville, and at UNC-CHeat are about to ride into the sunset as well. Now is the time to get ahead of all of that turmoil and get in on the ground floor. Any candidate that isn’t approaching the job that way can stay where they are. The absolute silence out any rumored target for the job says that the search has at least started out better than the last two did. It also says that somebody we like a lot is probably interested.

Lastly, I’d like predictions as to whether or not we will crash the SFN server when the new coach is announced. I say nyet!

Wulfpack
    Participant

I would venture to say that UVa, Va Tech and Wake are well positioned for the shift in power that we will see soon. I know jury is still out on Manning, but he appears to be getting his footing in Winston. Cavs and Hokies made stellar hires. And don’t forget Larranaga will be done soon at Miami. It will indeed be interesting to see what Lville, Cuse and the blues do with their hires. Bottom line is we MUST finally get this one right.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Well, Arch is available. EDIT: Oops, I guess they still have the NCAA to play. Maybe he’s distracted? Hmmm…

tractor57
    Participant

I’ll say one pro Manning thing – he can coach big men. I have watched the development – little things like proper footwork. I think Wake made a good choice. Hopefully now our turn to do the same.

BJD95
    Keymaster

We will immediately (well, within 3 years) shoot ahead of the likes of Wake and VPI with Arch. Not worried in the slightest. Will be in the running for Top 4 positioning, year in and year out. People will fear coming to Raleigh once again.

marinewolf
    Participant

Are Tom Coughlin, Jim Boeheim and Jim Larranaga triples-damn I get them confused,

tractor57
    Participant

BJD that is my wish. Manning has done quite a bit for Wake, hopefully we finally get our man to do the same.

Nuke
    Participant

I have a thought on Arch (and Sean). While I’m sure NC State is special to him, I would also think that he has some loyalty to Sendek and perhaps he and his brother didn’t like how Herb was treated. Thus while he may be an NC State fan, he may not want to coach here.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Interesting thoughts there, Nuke. Hmm… Nuke rhymes with puke. Okay, have a good one.

BKwolf
    Participant

Longtime lurker here, but figured I’d add my experience from this week to the mix for whatever it is worth. I live in Brooklyn and on Tuesday had a photoshoot cancel (yea i know, was a civil engineer for 10 years but I take pics now for a living) so I looked into tickets on stubhub and they were only $6 (plus a $7 fee) so decided to go to the game last minute. Took an uber pool to the game and on the way we pulled up to a hotel a couple blocks from my apartment where two older gentlemen wearing State gear joined me in the car. I started making small talk about how disappointing the season was and they were in agreement. So then I asked them who they thought we would hire to replace Gott. Guy sitting next to me says, “that guy down in Wilmington is pretty good.” I asked about Marshall to which he said, “he sure gets paid a lot where he is.” And then I mentioned that Ohio State had just said they were keeping Matta and how that might help with Archie, to which the guy seemed indifferent.

At this point I asked what they did for a living and when he said he was a retired hog farmer I had a hunch that his name might be on my diploma and it turns out my hunch was correct.

BassPacker
    Participant

Had interesting conversation over supper tonight with some in the know peeps. Word is that Keatts is our primary target and almost a done deal. Just a matter of doing the paperwork.

choppack1
    Participant

Hmmm – mysterious disappearance from college coaching for several years, around for an embarrassing recruiting scandal, and defense that rivals Gott’s?

Makes sense. Of all of the candidates this is the highest risk but ole Deb loves that swagger (almost as much as Gott.)

Don’t get me wrong- there’s a lot that’s right about Keatts…but there’s a lot that is wrong about him and if we are in this position in 5 years, well, to me that’s the expected result given the raging red flags I just threw out.

wolfpackdawg
    Participant

If the best we can do is Keatts then Jay Bilas was right.

Adventuroo
    Participant

BKWolf,

Thanks for the post. You probably know that others reported that Mr. “Retired” Hog Farmer from Warsaw was seen hosting Mr. Keatts in Wilmington recently.

To confirm your suspicions…..is THIS the distinguished looking gentleman that you had the pleasure of Ubering with?

https://www.google.com/search?q=wendell+murphy+image&rlz=1C1CHVN_enUS547US590&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiP5MDJwc3SAhWM7yYKHSKEAJ0Q_AUIBygC&biw=1777&bih=801#q=wendell+murphy+image&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:CZCpYe40CPmRIjj2LnXO-kRYAFPN4WoD4ekRlHlt3AgWe8EqYkjC-Kear6iWvBjzs5z7mDgaL9QKSp-0aG2tJYwi9SoSCfYudc76RFgAEa19P8RjGcPSKhIJU83hagPh6RER7KVbnJwRWhkqEgmUeW3cCBZ7wRFNGjOGejiO4CoSCSpiSML4p5qvEddpwfyEtws0KhIJqJa8GPOznPsR12nB_1IS3CzQqEgmYOBov1ApKnxGtfT_1EYxnD0ioSCbRoba0ljCL1ESSlAS0X3UOo&*

If that GOD AWFUL link breaks….then Google Wendell Murphy and click on Images….

He is a very personable individual….One of my ex Division Presidents switched from Automotive to “Pork” and was the president of his company….prior to the Smithfield purchase and figured he would get a golden parachute (which he hardly needed), but they kept him and promoted him and he got an even bigger RETIREMENT Bonus. Mr. M is no dummy….need more of them to support us….

Again, THANKS….

BKwolf
    Participant

Adventuroo,

Yes, quite the personable fellow. Although I did feel a little silly candidly discussing the coaching search once I realized who he was.

Viewing 25 posts - 501 through 525 (of 1,114 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.