Watching the Carousel Develop

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Watching the Carousel Develop

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 1,114 total)
  • Author
    MrPlywood
    Participant

Scouring the interweb, I found this list of hopefuls on a Mizzou site. No Arch so I’m assuming they know he’s ours 🙂

Without knowing how much we will pay, there is no way to know where we will land on this list, but these are all varying degrees of realistic.

$3.5mm+
    Gregg Marshall
    Fred Hoiberg

$3mm
    Cuonzo
    Chris Holtmann
    Tom Crean

$2mm
    Ben Jacobson (this year aside, I still like him as a coach.)
    Will Wade
    Kevin Keatts

<$2mm
    Kermit Davis, Jr.
    King Rice (iffy)

tvp1
    Participant

I shall flip, but mostly watch State. DVR the Arch V. Wade coach-off.

For the record, Arch is my runaway #1 (because I don’t think Marshall would say yes, and might say no in a damaging way) and I am fine with either Holtmann or Wade as a #2.

Get below that, and I’m highly annoyed.

Agree, although I’m a bit higher on Holtmann/Wade than that – I would be very pleased with either.

Beyond that group of three, though, we are staring into the abyss unless there’s a great out-of-left-field candidate. The Keatts/Moton/Kelsey tier are lottery tickets.

duckfatrules
    Participant

the daily dirt website is saying that Archie is out.
    from multiple sources, that the guy believed to be the front runner, Dayton’s Archie Miller, may in fact already be out of the running (his choice).
    1. does anyone believe this has an ounce of fact associated with it? and is the media pilling on us?
    2. does anyone believe that a posse could fly to Dayton and change his mind, did Roy not turn UNC down a couple of times, and I heard that Sean turned AZ down a few times.

who would be on the posse? Julius Hodge, Tommy Burleson, Derrick whitenburg,, chris corchiani, eddie bidenbach?

Adventuroo
    Participant

Duck,

Don’t know….maybe that would work. BUT, if you follow the ORW courtship. Coach Williams had a rough life before UNC. His father was an abusive drinker and I THINK that he actually got into a physical scene with him. Roy was devoted to his mom and she was his rock and provider. When he went to work for DES, Dean actually got him extra income for “bicycling” tapes to the Asheville TV Station. This was the DES Show….long before you had “line feeds”. There were NETWORK feeds coming into a station from the main (East and West) home offices. BUT, there were NO interconnect lines. SO, you had to bicycle the tapes. Roy got paid for driving and also a mileage allowance and got to visit him mom. DES became a father figure to Roy. If you look at that, then it is easy to see why when the family farm is about to be reposessed by the Evil Scrooge McDuck, now the ONLY MALE heir knew he had to come home and save the family business.

As to Archie….my take is that we are merely being “mind fornicated” by trolls and other “verified sources”. Remember the Sean noise so long ago. When Sean’s dad came out with a comment, then you KNEW that the jig was up and time to move on.

SO, unless Sean or Jon come out with a little quip or a statement that “Archie was more than flattered…..but was not….”, then I will consider him IN the search. It also matters LITTLE what we read or can google here.

Yow has already set the wheels in motion. IF Archie is interested, then he has already instructed his agent to “COOL IT. Keep my name in the POT….but under NO CIRCUMSTANCES….talk to me about it until my Dayton Season is over.” That is what Doeren did and it makes sense to me.

IF Archie is NOT interested, then it IS his agent’s responsibility to REMOVE him from the hunt….as it would be very unprofessional for his name to be seriously bandied about and considered….IF he had no intentions of coming.

If anyone can tell me WHEN Archie’s season ends….then add 48 hours and if he is getting comments and leaks, he stands a GOOD chance of showing up in Raleigh. BUT, we MIGHT get a “reliable Source” comment that totally eliminates him first. Failing to have a “Miller” (other than Archie) comment…I assume he is in the hunt…

My logic….others might differ.

JeremyH
    Participant

Just send Engin Atsur and Justin Gainey, and maybe Tony Bethel if he’s around.

marinewolf
    Participant

Each situation is difficult. every circumstance has a different outcome-hopefully for the Pack all comes out positive and we can start to move forward with the coach we need and also the coach that we want-Go Pack–always did see Roy as a Mama’s boy with anger issues!!!!!!

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Wow, almost 24 hours with no post. All quiet on the Western Front is a good thing I suppose.

MrPlywood
    Participant

An exclusive look inside Wolfpack search HQ…

McCallum
    Participant

Where is the arrow pointing to———> act cheap, do something stupid

McCallum

Adventuroo
    Participant

MarineWolf,

It really is amazing what I’m going to say. If you read some of the books on the ACC Coaches as well as the various articles, over time, you get a pretty good picture of them.

Coach Williams is as goofy as they come. No doubt about that. Even the UNC crowd agree. However, if you read about his background, he could be an American Hero. His mom worked worked very hard and had, memory, several jobs to support his family when he was in Jr and Sr High. I googled this to refresh my recollection of the Coke Tale.

http://www.si.com/vault/1997/03/10/223656/home-at-last-after-a-childhood-in-which-warm-family-scenes-were-all-too-rare-roy-williams-has-found-its-a-wonderful-life-coaching-top-ranked-kansas

Rather than try to condense it….maybe you ought to read it. The background is in the first few paragraphs. When Roy was an assistant at UNC, the NCAA actually (Generality…not specifics) controlled the Assistant Coaches salaries. When Mikey went down with is first back issues, he put Pete Gaudet in charge. Gaudet is probably MORE remembered for “Taking the LOSSES” rather than what he did off court.

http://www.heraldnews.com/x1931050888/WHATEVER-HAPPENED-TO-Pete-Gaudet

So, Roy Williams was not paid very well when he was an assistant at UNC. The Assistants also got “Perks” from some donors to help keep them. Roy’s was pay to visit his mom. In the sense that he was devoted to his Mom for the sacrifices that she made to get him an education….was he a Mama’s boy or a devoted son? I hope you realize the differences.

You MIGHT also want to read up on how Jimmy V struggled as an assistant and even a small head coach. He would work the summer BB camps that the big league coaches ran. The drill was you got to mingle with the coaches and the up and coming assistants….which would pay off over time. The camp agenda was pretty cut and dried. On Friday or maybe Thursday, there was a “famous” motivational speaker that came in to “Talk” to the campers and inspire them. The speaker failed to show or had car trouble. Jimmy V, the “Let me have the Mic…” guy took over. He gave a speech about becoming a “Rat”. He went on and on and the kids loved him. THEN, he started doing that instead of just….”Working”. He was paid more per week for a single speech than he would have been for a week’s work at that camp. BEFORE salaries got out of control, the Assistants were a pretty underpaid bunch….

NOW, in conclusion, those of us that came from similar backgrounds as Roy… where our parents worked multiple jobs so that we could get an education probably relate to Roy. I do, in this situation. I hope you have a better understanding of him. He is a complex guy….sometimes short on common sense. BUT, he can coach BB.

nav
    Participant

Yup, quietest State coaching search I ever seen. Hope it stays that way until the end.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Tonite’s Carousel Menu:

Country style Pork Ribs — slow cooked 4hrs in a molasses based sauce…
    Fresh Cole Slaw with mayo and a dash of mustard…
    All American — Red, White & Blue — New Taters boiled in butter…
    Baked Puerto Rican Red Sweet Taters…
    Garlic Bread…

POP!!!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    marinewolf
    Participant

The Bell tower will explode before we hire King Rice, Debbie have to resign immediately and the new AD would have to fire him and rehire Gott.

marinewolf
    Participant

Roy Williams has made several sarcastic remarks about NC State over the years, as a person who lies to protect his basketball team from truthful events that took place partly under his watch, have little respect for the man.
    Not interested in participating in a love fest for old Roy, but will constantly monitor this forum to read and learn what other Pack fans thoughts are about the upcoming search-knowing some people that are big contributors, that have friends in the know at State, they say this going to be a very quiet in house search only a select few will know. So don’t fall for David (I am a attorney, I own a very successful business, married to a supermodel) Superficial Glenn when he says, this guy or that guy isn’t coming.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Roy has been very clear what he thinks of this rivalry. His record against us backs that up.

duckfatrules
    Participant

Roy Williams has made several sarcastic remarks about NC State over the years, as a person who lies to protect his basketball team from truthful events that took place partly under his watch, have little respect for the man.
    Not interested in participating in a love fest for old Roy, but will constantly monitor this forum to read and learn what other Pack fans thoughts are about the upcoming search-knowing some people that are big contributors, that have friends in the know at State, they say this going to be a very quiet in house search only a select few will know. So don’t fall for David (I am a attorney, I own a very successful business, married to a supermodel) Superficial Glenn when he says, this guy or that guy isn’t coming.

what has Roy said negative about NC State University?
    I am not saying that he hasn’t said anything negative, I am only asking you to tell the rest of us what he has said.
    I know he loves UNC, but …

BJD95
    Keymaster

After his first loss against us, he took away their training table the next gameday. Said “I’d rather not eat than lose to State.”

marinewolf
    Participant

If a state coach took away the training table there would be an investigation by BOG, and the N.C. congress, Jeff Goodman and Bilas would be calling for the death penalty.

marinewolf
    Participant

A few trolls want to champion ole Roy, he is a dag gum good bb coach, goodness end there!

BJD95
    Keymaster

Ol’ Roy hates State, which makes me reluctantly respect him, which makes me REALLY HATE HIM even more.

McCallum
    Participant

It is not a rivalry if one teams loses most of the time.

McCallum

Wulfpack
    Participant

It is not a rivalry if one teams loses most of the time.

Roy knows the history. Which is why he hardly ever lets his boys have any notions of a letdown against us.

GoldenChain
    Participant

Tonite’s Carousel Menu:

Country style Pork Ribs — slow cooked 4hrs in a molasses based sauce…
    Fresh Cole Slaw with mayo and a dash of mustard…
    All American — Red, White & Blue — New Taters boiled in butter…
    Baked Puerto Rican Red Sweet Taters…
    Garlic Bread…

POP!!!

Bill try a dash of fresh horseradish in that slaw.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Northwestern and Purdue about to tip off, for any of those salivating for Collins.

Mizzou’s job is officially open (no surprise there).

section2chuck
    Participant

Collins would be a good one, but he’s waiting for Duke job to open up one day….

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 1,114 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.