Watching the Carousel Develop

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Watching the Carousel Develop

Viewing 25 posts - 376 through 400 (of 1,114 total)
  • Author
    StateRed44
    Participant

I’m glad you guys are staying positive. Good to see. I’ll pull back from the ledge a bit and hone my mantras fervently for the best possible outcome. 🙂

ryebread
    Participant

StateRed: I’m not saying it’s Arch. I’m just saying I see enough positive vibes to think we’re not ending up with a Line 4 candidate.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I’m hedging my bets on oblivion.

Adventuroo
    Participant

I think the glass is half full….and I wish it were Crown Black….and I would totally REFILL it as it may be needed….many times over before we hear..

“We are pleased to announce that (FIB) is our NEW MBB Coach….and let me make one thing clear….he (but your never know) was always our first choice and we are pleased that he understands our great institution, our legendary heritage and past and knows that our fans and the administration fully support him as he restores the once great basketball dynasty at (Podunk U or NCSU or whatever)…..” Did I miss any key points here?

OK…behind the scenes….What OTHER options or paths are there. Debbie Yow is no dummy. Has she been perfect and always made the best decisions and never made a mistake? Of course not. BUT, given a LEVEL playing field this time, I am more than confident that she will make the right moves. She SHOULD have the support of the Chancellor and the BOT….now she needs the support of the fans or US….the WPN. You have to discount or set aside the issues of Gottfried’s hiring. Obviously, the way that she “chimed in” during the presser when GW was brought up….that was indeed a sensitive subject and, I think, a VERY negative influence.

If you looked at the Doeren search, that really went pretty good. NOW, we can debate the results but if you looked (at least to me) at Doeren’s resume….it was pretty impressive. Sidney Lowe had a pretty good resume….but when you have NO talent in the cupboard and then you throw in a serious personal outside influence….he got off to a bad start.

SO, if she handles this search with the same savvy and expertise that she did with Doeren, we should be OK.

Also, we need to understand that WE, nor her, can sell something that a coach, for whatever reason, has absolutely NO interest in. Whether Archie Miller is the absolute BEST candidate….I don’t know. He should be in the top 5 and is the sentimental favorite. BUT, if he is NOT interested, then raising the ante to $7 Million, might not even be enough. If the pay parameters are where we HOPE they are, then we are competitive. In addition, AD Yow has written the contracts where WINNING (as well as in the classroom) is VERY FINANCIALLY rewarding. Start out with a GOOD base (Supplemental plus Guaranteed) and then a good incentive (40% or so) package….and BINGO, any coach that had a “Competitive” spirit should see the earnings potential. I’ll bet you that Jimmy V would have jumped on Gott’s contract in the proverbial heartbeat.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Yep. With Arch, it will be exactly about “want to.” If that’s there, then everything else will absolutely fall into place unless we royally screw up.

And I do believe he’s first whatever we may say later.

choppack1
    Participant

Yo Roo – did you say Sidney Lowe had a good resume???

His resume was bad. No college experience, no college degree…. I believe he either has the worst or one of the 5 worst NBA HC records in NBA history. Granted, he was coaching bad franchisees, but there was no evidence he could make chicken salad from the excrements of the pollo.

The DD search was a smooth one and he was a “hot commodity” – but a football coach like him is much different than a basketball coach like Archie.

However, it must t noted that we got a head start on that gig as well. Isn’t funny that there was no gnashing of teeth and wailing when TOB was shown the door with 3 consecutive non-losing Conference stints (a rare feet with different QBs @ NC state) but yet after 2 muy malo seasons, the ESPN talent sheds tears for the gott boy.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

The one thing that worries once we make it past Miller and Marshall (good Lord forbid) is the cryptic report from Goodman with the old nonsourced quote from a “midmajor” of “I wouldn’t touch that job”. It’s most likely real but is it one of the guys we’d be targeting for the 2nd line? I pray not, because if we get played by a guy with those or similar sentiments it could begin to really stink. Also could it really be indicative of how this place is perceived across the board? Mind numbing and potentially lethal.

I think the job would become a lot more touchable to that midmajor coach if his salary had the chance to double or triple.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Chop,

We will probably need to agree to disagree. I think that Lowe had a pretty good history. He was, if I remember correctly, one of the youngest HC’s in NBA history. Now, maybe it was too many battlefield promotions. As to his degree, I have heard a LOT of multi-degreed coaches (and sportscasters) express themselves like kids from the “Hood”. Sidney was eloquent and pretty straight forward. If we ding him for lack of a degree, then I guess that we really need to lay that dishonor on Jimmy V. Despite what was said and done, V’s players did have some issues in graduating. I attended almost every one of his Crabtree Mall radio shows and talked to him several times. He was NOT a dummy…only a very intelligent person that did not have a degree.

As to his BB Prowess, I will let V’s comments about his knowledge of the game and how he actually ran things and came up with plays and defenses that they were ad libbing. This comes from his teammates as well. Don’t know WHY he did not pay his NC Taxes….but we have officials and leaders that also do not keep up with payments to the IRS and such and have served hard time.

With TOB, it should also be noted that we surely DID have some talent….and one of his “First priorities” was development of a LINE….like he did at BC. How’d that turn out. SO, we gave him 3 years….and learned from that and “nipped it in the bud”.

As stated before, if you finish 6 (as predicted by that wealth of intelligence….the press) and there are 7 ACC teams in the top 25….then we would not have this forum. We didn’t. The ESPN folks protect themselves and will probably welcome him back…Could be wrong….but Dino and Seth have NOT made the trip back. Dino, supposedly had “off court issues” that forced his “resignation”.

I feel pretty good about how it is going….and the constant sniping by an opinionated media is nothing by noise….which we could do without….and which, I hope, the REAL folks on DY’s A list will have enough sense to also tune out. They need to be focused on their teams….but when the final buzzer sounds, they, THEN, gotta think about their careers and future…

NCSU is NOT a bad gig….I guess it is just US, the (FIB) IST’s….that soil the university….

ryebread
    Participant

Sid wasn’t a good hire and that nothing to do with whether or not he had an undergraduate degree. He had zero college coaching experience, no college recruiting experience and a spotty NBA track record as a head man. He jumped at the chance at a big time head coaching gig and I don’t blame him. It was a chance to resurrect his career and to get paid handsomely to do it. I’d have done the same. If there’s blame there it is for Fowler in hiring him.

DD was a solid hire, particularly given our spot in the pecking order. We were going to roll the dice with that one and took a chance with an up and comer. Heck, we did better than LSU did IMHO. Not all hires that look good on paper end up turning out that way. Shrugs.

The process for the DD hire was a good one. It was far better than the processes that brought us our previous two basketball coaches. This search is looking more like the one that brought us DD than the one that brought us Gott, and it is clear that Yow learned something out of the last go around (e.g. quote about not waiting until the Final Four this time). I have confidence that we’ll land what at least on paper will look like a better hire than Sid or Gott.

BJD is right though. I think Arch has to be the #1 candidate, but regardless of who we trot out, that “will have been a guy we’ve zeroed in on for a while.” That statement can be made with some semblance of truth given how far out ahead we are and how early we are vetting candidates.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Lowe was a putrid hire. There was nothing on his resume that screamed he could do it. And guess what – he didn’t. Chop is correct – at 79-228 (.257), Lowe is won of the worst NBA coaches of all time.

McCallum
    Participant

Chop,

We will probably need to agree to disagree. I think that Lowe had a pretty good history. He was, if I remember correctly, one of the youngest HC’s in NBA history. Now, maybe it was too many battlefield promotions. As to his degree, I have heard a LOT of multi-degreed coaches (and sportscasters) express themselves like kids from the “Hood”. Sidney was eloquent and pretty straight forward. If we ding him for lack of a degree, then I guess that we really need to lay that dishonor on Jimmy V.

No, hell no.

There can be a beauty to flowing prose that enhances detail and grasps spirit but you ain’t got it.

The hire was made by an incompetent individual who flubbed the search. The passive aggressive non sense of “lay that dishonor on Jimmy V” is pure rubbish. The rest of your missive is a screed of excuses and blaming when Sidney should not have been considered for the job. Only a bunch of fools like NC STATE would hire a coach with NO COLLEGE DEGREE. The damn 1st grade PE teacher at Seagrove elementary is REQUIRED to have a college degree YET State will walk right out and seek an individual with less prerequisite qualifications than Seagrove elementary. The hire, made as a last second save face move, tarnished Sidney and the university. You don’t realize when you’ve been insulted.

Always cheap and stupid, State missed an opportunity to nail Greg Marshall.

No excuses, you can either get it done and you know what you are doing or you can’t and you don’t.

McCallum

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Not all hires that look good on paper end up turning out that way. Shrugs.

Exactly. Obviously I want a winning coach to come out of our current search. But first, I want a coach that looks good on paper. Then I want him to win. Though it’s important to acknowledge that we won’t know if we got a Bennett or a Gillen for some time after the press conference.

But when you start out with one that doesn’t even look good on paper, then the odds of a miraculous outcome are mighty slim.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Glad you switched to Extra Strength Triple Caffeinated this morning, Mr. McCallum. I did NOT say that Lee did a great job. I said that, all in all, we COULD have done a lot worse with Sidney….give the circumstances. Whether he has a degree or not….whether the elementary teacher has a degree does NOT predict success. I could point to various institutions that churn out RN’s and Teachers and their educational prowess has been called into question by the regulatory boards. Having a Degree only got me my first job….it did little after that.

I can also tell you that many years ago, you did NOT have to have a degree to teach. My wife’s late Grandmother would take a few courses each year as NC started to tighten up. She probably ended up with the equivalent of a 2 Yr. Jr College Degree. But as an elementary teacher, she was honored many times by former students who excelled in their professions and was considered to be one of the best in each county where she taught. She actually had 4 or 5 “Retirement” certificates as she would continue to teach in a neighboring county…as the retirement age varied by local system.

She also begat THREE more generations of teachers…and I will stack up my daughter’s ability with any of her peers. SHE and my late MIL had a “knack” for explaining and working with students. My daughter “taught” swim lessons at age 11. If you actually talk to REAL educators, they look for someone that can relate to and have an innate ability to TEACH. That is something that can be learned….but you are miles ahead if you have that particular trait or skillset.

My wife’s GM helped students LEARN and that is something that our present educational community (probably for reasons that will trigger some folks) are failing mightily at today.

Her students learned history as it happened. They learned functional math skills. They learned to read without 10 different computer programs. They learned how to express themselves and actually write sentences…..and TALK IN SENTENCES.

Please do NOT be a Degree Snob….it lessens one’s opinion of you.

Lowe’s “Degree” or BB IQ was well known to the college and the professional BB Community. Sidney made do with what Herbie left him and I watched him “COACH” that first year and saw him, in Tampa, come within a half game of winning the ACC Tournament. There were a LOT of former WP greats there and I was fortunate enough to have passes to the VIP area and heard a lot of comments during the 2007 ACC Tourney run. ALL were positive.

So, I’ll remember (and opine) based on facts and the opinions of others that have a higher BB IQ than the combined total of our little blog.

Paper Degrees…..like Paper Resumes can be padded or down right lies…..as in some of the AFAM degrees from our sister university. BUT, if you looked at the BB IQ of some of them and you were hiring them as a coach or an assistant coach, you probably would look more at their ON COURT ability and their careers….rather than their UNC Degree.

Time for decaf….

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Glad you switched to Extra Strength Triple Caffeinated this morning, Mr. McCallum. I did NOT say that Lee did a great job. I said that, all in all, we COULD have done a lot worse with Sidney….give the circumstances.

Just curious but how could it have been worse than Sid?

BJD95
    Keymaster

We could have literally hired Bob Wade instead of just figuratively. That would have been worse.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Just curious but how could it have been worse than Sid?

BJD nailed this one. At least Sidney could recruit.

ryebread
    Participant

I wasn’t excited about the Lowe hire but hoped that maybe his NBA connections would help him recruit. He could legitimately go into a kid’s home and say “I’ve spent the last 15 years coaching in the NBA and know how it works.” That’s a powerful message. The red flags were his actual coaching resume, the quick turnaround that Hubie Brown did at Memphis with Sid’s last team, his lack of college experience and the need to get up to speed with things like compliance, etc.. Assistants were going to be important, and while we put a bunch of guys that cared about NC State on the bench, they were all associated with losing programs. It was a high risk approach, and one to me that looked like Fowler trying to buy some time to get out of town ahead of the lynch mob.

I too was excited during that first ACC Tournament run under Sid. I thought that maybe we had something there and that the regular season was just the players and Lowe learning how to mesh. I remember the game against Rider in the NIT at Reynolds was as loud as games of old.

Unfortunately, it was clear by the beat downs in year 2 that we did not. When Michigan State absolutely crushed us in the ACC/BIG10 game, I knew something was terribly wrong. When we turned around and lost to ECU, it was clear that the ACC Tournament run was the anomaly, not the bad losses.

By the end of year 3, that experiment should have been over. We gave Sid 2 more years, despite a mountain of evidence to the contrary and there were some that wanted to give him a 6th season. He’s exhibit A of why NC State is incredibly patient with coaches.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Hey ya bunch of snowflakes, VCU is playing Dayton tonight. Hopefully our next coaches is on one of those sidelines.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

If you looked at the Doeren search, that really went pretty good. NOW, we can debate the results but if you looked (at least to me) at Doeren’s resume….it was pretty impressive.

Not to side track the thread, but to be clear Doeren had only 2 years of head coaching experience at an already built MAC program that came with a superb QB.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Watching my cabbages and onions grow is more interesting than this carousel….

Ya’ll play nice….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Adventuroo
    Participant

Good observation.

Guess we GOTT too many Debbie Downer’s…..And it will be 3 weeks before the..” pleased to announce…” presser.

I have been admiring the green courtesy of Mr. Stock Market today interspersed with the Lady ACCT games.

Which will have more WP viewers tonight…NCSU or Dayton v VCU?

MrPlywood
    Participant

Only 3 weeks? That’s nothing compared to the unprecedented run the new coach will take State on for the next 10 years, leading Wolfpack bball back to national prominence and glory. Huzzah!

rthomas44
    Participant

Neither, I’ll be looking at my portfolio and mutual fund totals. I have got to retire for real.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I shall flip, but mostly watch State. DVR the Arch V. Wade coach-off.

For the record, Arch is my runaway #1 (because I don’t think Marshall would say yes, and might say no in a damaging way) and I am fine with either Holtmann or Wade as a #2.

Get below that, and I’m highly annoyed.

McCallum
    Participant

Coffee is always the same.

Excuses are like rectums.

Peace out

McCallum

Viewing 25 posts - 376 through 400 (of 1,114 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.