Watching the Carousel Develop

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Watching the Carousel Develop

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 1,114 total)
  • Author
    packalum44
    Participant

Darkhorse: Vinny Del Negro. What is this guy up to besides making a few television appearances? He’s shot his wad as an NBA head coach. What else could he do to make 2-3 million a year?

And if anyone compares him to Sidney Lowe…hah.

He has front office experience (recruiting and identifying talent) and head coaching experience. His NBA contacts would make him valuable to talented recruits. I would certainly diligence this guy as a backup.

JeremyH
    Participant

I won’t compare him to Lowe except that he is a pro that doesn’t have college coaching experience, and that we’ve been down that route before. Rather, I think Del Negro to be brought more closely into the program, to help recruit (kind of like MJ does for the light blue team), give motivational chats, and generally be an advisor similar to what Magic is doing recently for the Lakers. Is there a future position for him like that?

tvp1
    Participant

The online “chatter” about Miller is uniformly negative. It really sounds like he has no serious interest in the job, for whatever reason.

I’m becoming more and more convinced that Yow should focus on Marshall. Make him a Godfather offer and make it known he is our #1 guy.

ryebread
    Participant

tvp1: Miller is either the world’s best smokescreen and we’ll be shocked on the day it is announced, or it is that he’s just not coming (for whatever reason). While I’d love for it to be the former, Occam’s Razor suggests it is the latter.

We the general public will know in a month. Hopefully Yow already knows definitively.

OutWestWolf
    Participant

^ need to know just a bit more specifics on what/where this “online chatter” comes from. Is it the general negativity coming from the sports writers who fling crap no matter what? Or online chatter of a different sort? don’t need gory details just need to know if it is something different from the negativity of the paid trolls masquerading as writers/commentators.

sincerely curious

StateRed44
    Participant

I find it hard to believe he’s not interested considering we know both he and Sean were interested at one time. Oh well, all we can do is ask. I’m still confident we’ll get one of “A” or “B” guys and frankly that will be better than we’ve had in a long time. Please no retreads.

Pack1997
    Participant

My biggest concern at this point is the timing. All our candidates are going to the tourney. If our top choice goes deep unfortunately there may not be many good fall backs if number one falls through by the time we get there. If Marshall and Miller say no or show anything but positive interest, I don’t think we should try to sell them on it. We move on to the other candidates so we don’t miss out on any of them.

Holtman would be my top pick after Miller and Marshall.

tvp1
    Participant

^ need to know just a bit more specifics on what/where this “online chatter” comes from. Is it the general negativity coming from the sports writers who fling crap no matter what? Or online chatter of a different sort? don’t need gory details just need to know if it is something different from the negativity of the paid trolls masquerading as writers/commentators.

sincerely curious

Without going into details, some of it is from the premium sites, who in the past typically have had good track records.

And while I detest Jeff Goodman, he does know people – the Millers specifically – and while he likes to troll, he can’t afford to get egg on his face either. So when he says flat out that Archie isn’t happening, and that’s consistent with what various other folks who have good sources usually are saying….

Conversely, I’ve yet to see anyone “in the know” suggest that Archie is a great possibility.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Holtman would be my top pick after Miller and Marshall.

That’s exactly my list. And it is Holtmann.

MrPlywood
    Participant

The online “chatter” about Miller is uniformly negative. It really sounds like he has no serious interest in the job, for whatever reason.

If that’s the case then I hope Arch has made his intentions abundantly clear. Onward. No ragrets.

Q: to the Illuminati – I’m assuming that coaching searches are two way streets, and that interested coaches (hopefully there are a few interested in the State job) would contact potential employers “through channels”. Correct?

Adventuroo
    Participant

I’m also of the “where is all the verified” chatter coming from, except the talking heads that probably a smidge more than we do. I am NOT a ARCHIE or BUST person….but that does NOT mean I am against him and I would, I think, be very happy if he was offered and accepted. Unless his wife or dad starts to make some “casual” remarks or tweets, then all the speculation is just the fact that the sports writers and bloggers and such have to have something to write about. Since there are only (memory) TWO confirmed “going in a different direction”, then the coaching caravan discussions are really hypothetical….and about as reliable as the polls were on November 7, 2016.

We DID get some insight from Jon Miller the LAST time. We had some insight as to WHOM was in contention….but only AFTER we had announced our new coach. THEN we speculated about who and why and what happened….ad neauasm. I also believe that Debbie will plug the leaks like Nixon’s Plumbers….as she has already been burned by Mark Armstrong and she is obviously NOT a happy camper. IF we get premature leaks, I think they will be “Planned” so that there is not the “HOWL” that there was the last time.

Right, Wrong or indifferent (as to the quality of the choice), she handled the TOB replacement totally different from Lowe’s replacement. NOW…if someone has some insight into the folks on the selection committee and whose plane(s) we will be using….then I could hang a little credibility on that.

It will be at least a MONTH before any REAL action takes place….I WOULD hope that our candidates are sweet 16 bound….so as ORW once quipped….”I don’t give a $h_t about Carolina right now….”. THAT is what they SHOULD be doing. IF any of them are of a mind to “consider” a change, then their agents will be talking and all of that, assumingly, will be done with the strictest of confidence.

I’m really more interested in the UVA game tomorrow and how BJ is treated. He is much too much of a gentlemen to smash his jersey frame over someone’s head as a protest….but it will be fascinating to see the expressions. I HOPE that we have a good crowd tomorrow for BJ. UVA will be tough as Bennett has had a long break and he is NOT going to let his recent losses last. We will need our A game (and we have yet to play it this year) to beat them. IT CAN BE DONE….if they can’t hit diddle and we are “ON”. As Wes Moore said last night….when you take shots and they go in, that covers up a whole lot of sins for the rest of your game. Our ladies were really sharp last night. What a pleasure to watch. They have a LOT less talent, comparatively, than the Men do and they are poised for a double BYE…

OutWestWolf
    Participant

Without going into details, some of it is from the premium sites, who in the past typically have had good track records.

And while I detest Jeff Goodman, he does know people – the Millers specifically – and while he likes to troll, he can’t afford to get egg on his face either. So when he says flat out that Archie isn’t happening, and that’s consistent with what various other folks who have good sources usually are saying….

Fair enough. But for sure modern day reporters including the sports variety let egg roll off there face like the nose, cheeks, forehead and chin are greased teflon. They live by say/write it in the moment forget about it later, there’ll be something else to say in that moment.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Remember that at least one of the “premium” sites is a mouthpiece for the administration. And the administration specifically deflected media attention away from Dave Doeren before we hired him.

Until I get updated and negative word from my guy who has at least some sourcing close to Team Miller, I am going to remain cautiously optimistic here.

Rick
    Keymaster

BJ is the only player Gott has had stay for his entire tenure. He should get some love if for nothing else putting up with the mess Gott has made.

StateRed44
    Participant

well, its about time our program caught a fuggin break if for nothing else than luck of the draw. I’m optimistic we get a good coach, be it whoever….

If it aint Arch, I’m hoping he doesn’t feign interest to pump up his value, surely he’d give us the gentleman’s good luck wishes

ryebread
    Participant

There’s one poster who seemingly isn’t close to the AD’s office, who I trust, and who seems to be close to Arch or his family. He had a lot of personal information and insight into the Millers’ family life. This poster said it wasn’t happening and laid out pretty decent logic (that honestly wasn’t negative in any way towards NC State). I hope he’s wrong, but the sun will rise the next day if someone else is hired.

I just hope that Yow knows the truth regarding the top candidates on her list. Given we’ve hired from “tier 4” the last two times, no name would really surprise me. I just want to see us run a professional search, not the circuses from the last two times. If that means we as fans get nothing, and just banter names back and forth with one another for the next month, that’s frankly perfect.

This will be a long month. I think most people will settle down and it will be fairly quiet until the tournament starts. Then it will be a weekend by weekend watch once candidates’ teams are eliminated (much like what happened when we hired Amato).

Wulfpack
    Participant

Here’s an interesting relatively recent Indy Star article on Holtmann’s possible interest in NC State:

Holtmann, 45, has a stance of not commenting about job speculation. In May, he was awarded a contract extension through the 2021-22 season, and his annual salary is believed to exceed $1 million. (As a private university, Butler does not have to release such figures immediately, although those eventually are made public on tax returns.) Gottfried’s salary is $2.5 million.
    That Holtmann’s name would come up is nothing new. He was mentioned in 2015 in connection with the job at Tennessee, which hired Rick Barnes, and was pursued in 2016 by Georgia Tech, which hired Josh Pastner.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/butler/2017/02/15/let-chris-holtmann-speculation-begin-he-candidate-nc-state/97937750/

Rick
    Keymaster

well, its about time our program caught a fuggin break if for nothing else than luck of the draw. I’m optimistic we get a good coach, be it whoever….

You would think the blind squirrel theory would at least have an impact. How many coaching searches can we screw up?

Wulfpack
    Participant

And here’s a Windton-Salem Journal piece on Wade:

Wade’s long-term future does require some reading of the tea leaves. The N.C. State job is already open, and others from the SEC (Missouri, LSU) and Big Ten (Indiana, Illinois) are likely to follow. Like Shaka Smart, Anthony Grant and Jeff Capel before him at VCU, Wade is ticketed for a bigger job at a Power Five conference school.

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/colleges/basketball/vcu-s-wade-could-find-a-nice-fit-at-n/article_a22082eb-81da-5753-ae7f-9007f8aa4bce.html

Hrryhood
    Participant

UVA will be tough as Bennett has had a long break and he is NOT going to let his recent losses last. We will need our A game (and we have yet to play it this year) to beat them. IT CAN BE DONE….if they can’t hit diddle and we are “ON”.

We haven’t played our A game? Where, at home? Oh that’s right, VT game. Where, away? Oh that’s right, Duke game.

Our team does NOT play together worth a damn, but at least give them credit for the TWO games where they decided to show us what they COULD do.

Did I use CAPS correctly? Go back to yelling at your clouds.
    Edit: Not sure why it’s quoted OWW. This is directed at Roo.

Adventuroo
    Participant

My POINT is that we have not really put together an A game. Case in Point. DUKE. We allowed something like 20 (+/-) uncontested shots. Duke was NOT hitting. If they had been, then the results would have been different. The above info and supporting comments were made by the sports writers after the game. MAYBE they were cowtowing to Mikey in that Capel was not up to the task. Bottom LINE….we were lucky to beat Duke and it was more that Duke allowed themselves to be beat.

Second POINT….the OMG, we got a WIN game. We were up something like 13 points with less than 4 or so minutes to go. We allowed that lead to totally slip away. We were lucky that the Vandy Play did not sink us.

I have NOT issues with the team. We have a major amount of talent (look at the poop sheets on our four senior ladies versus our starting 5). These kids are playing like a street league. There is no consistency in our offense and where is (Bobby Lutz took it) our defense.

They HAVE shown us what they could do….maybe once or twice for a fleeting moment in several games. BUT, that was almost like the powerball drawing numbers. We just randomly did things and looked great.

In all fairness, we have had some pretty good games against mediocre teams….but we were NOT well coached (or maybe the kids are really bad athletes and overrated). I put that totally on the coaching staff. MOST of the time, we are hustling….we DID give totally up against UNC and WFU.

There have been several sort of “off the cuff” remarks by coaches about the great talent we have. Do you think that the WFU guy who boasted…”They will fold if we go after them….” got that thought by his lonesome. That came directly from DM or perhaps one of his assistants who was in charge of defense.

WHO is supposed to be in charge of Defense? Lutz had that title. Coach G was allowed a mulligan and fired Lutz…after they broke out into a shouting match a few times in practice. THEN, he hired mostly great recruiters….and THAT is why DY pulled the pin on him.

I will still be there tomorrow, assuming that I have recovered from a medical procedure earlier in the week and cheer them on. I was still yelling for them at every game. When we got down 30 or 40, I probably, like a LOT of fans, started to be realistic in my critique.

If the team has NO chemistry….If the team has NO respect for the HC…..If the team is NOT disciplined…..if the team is NOT properly prepared or coached on defense….If the Scout Squad is not properly coached on the other team’s offense…..a LOT of IF’s there….and a lot of NOT’s.

I am not yelling at the clouds….are you still reaching for the clouds and keeping your feet on the ground.

We need a coaching change. We also need a “team” philosophy change. Dennis Smith has been fun to watch…but he seems to be “winging it”. He wants to distribute….but when no one is hitting or no one is playing D, then he tends to be a little selfish.

He could have been a real star this year with the talent that we have had he been properly coached. I feel sorry for him that our coaches deprived him of a better year….and I want him to show what he has in the pros…

SHEESH…..time for another pain pill..

MISTA WOLF
    Participant

I would like to see us reach out to Scott Drew. Call me crazy but I don’t see him wanting to stay at Baylor due to all the allegations going on in Waco. He’s been to several elite 8’s and recruits kids from all over the country. I want Archie but I’m not sure he is coming home. I think Marshall is to egotistical to come and likes being the man where the sport he coaches is top dog (It use to be baseball at Wichita State.) If Boeheim hangs it up I could see him going to Syracuse. I think if we called Marshall a p*ssy if he didn’t accept the job offer here that he might end up taking it.

marinewolf
    Participant

Everyone needs to come off the ledge-the program is in better shape than when Herb left, it is in better shape than when Sidney left-it is not where it needs to be- but the right person can achieve it, Gott hit his ceiling now its time to move up and get the right coach whether it is Archie,Marshall,Wade or any of the ones on the imaginary list that is bantered about-Positive attributes -great facilities, great school, you compete in the best league in basketball one of very few schools that have multiple NCAA titles-All I ask is that it is done silently, when Fowler was doing a search it was blasted all over the TV,Radio,sports pages, he let a two bit con-man take him to the cleaners-Debbie did a little better but not much -like Fowler she settled but did get a better coach-personally I wish Debbie would step aside and let others in athletic dept and R.Woodson make this call-but have a check that is blank and be ready to fill in the blanks or settle for the blue light special-behind the curtains I would find out if Marshall is available if not proceed on without an offer-Make Archie and Wade my primary -do it all like blacks ops-

JeremyH
    Participant
    marinewolf
    Participant

This search must be done in secret-find out are you interested or not and move on to the next guy-Marshall knows now if he is interested or not, Archie is different but have him let us know if he would consider and so down the line, the ones that say yes, when their season is completed make a under the table offer and then their counter offer and down the list, their is probably 5-6 good choices-what really concerns me is should Debbie make this call, maybe finish out her career as an adviser and bring in the new guy early-there are some smart people in athletic dept let Woodson and them make this call-I remember back when sidney was hired, sports people at the airport, Billy Donovan is looking at houses in the area please not that again

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 1,114 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.