Watching the Carousel Develop

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Watching the Carousel Develop

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 1,114 total)
  • Author
    Gowolves
    Participant

I like Keatts a lot. I hope we give him serious thought if things don’t go as planned, or if they do and we have him as the first choice. I think he is going to be a heck of a coach wherever he goes.

TheCOWDOG

Ya know?

There really isn’t much of a coaching carousel going on this year, in the first place.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Ya know?

There really isn’t much of a coaching carousel going on this year, in the first place.

Well, it is only late February. The carousel will be spinning soon enough.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Okay, how about this.. we go ahead and hire Tom Moore of Quinnipiac and pay him literally minimum wage over 3 or 4 years. Bank the savings and then go out and and lease the best money can buy for the new decade for 2-3 years.

Just thinking outside the box. Folks would be madder than hell, but I think it could have potential.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Ya know?

tOSU and Indiana would cause lots of other dominoes to fall, I’d expect. But I don’t get a great read on either situation, since I find the B1G so generally unwatchable.

That yahoo article seemed to indicate they both could get another year unless they parachuted to their own version of Arizona State.

Pack78
    Participant

How about Wes Moore? The Lady Pack just blasted the Cheats 80-60…

Texpack
    Participant

Archie
    Crean
    The Dude from Creighton

Cronin and Marshall both have hemorrhoids bad. The local media would twist them into knots.

Wulfpack
    Participant

The Dude from Creighton

Why?

Horrid record at Iowa State. Missed the NCAA’s the past two years.

JeremyH
    Participant

How about Gene Keady? (while we’re on Kea* coaches). I know he’s 80, but as recent as two years ago he was an assistant for St. John’s. He’s been to two Elite Eights, and better yet, an epic combover that costs him $300 per visit to the salon. That’s dedication.

rthomas44
    Participant

Sometimes keeping it in the family is not the way to go. I don’t think that Arch is coming home.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I keep seeing the comments regarding Keatts. And you know what? He’s done a fine job at UNCW.

But…

He’s only in his third year as a head coach. He has one appearance in the NCAA Tournament, and was ousted in the first round. Are we really ready to throw the keys to the castle at someone with that little experience?

If you want to be objective, Miller’s and Marshall’s resumes are FAR superior. Far superior. If we can’t get either one of those guys, then maybe we do go with a guy like Keatts. But the CAA aint the ACC. It’s a one bid league. And three years head coaching experience makea for a lot of learning on the job.

Honestly not trying to knock the guy. He’s done a fine job. But there is a flip side that must be taken into account.

McCallum
    Participant

If State hires Archie will there be extra cash to pay for the phone books he’ll need to put in his chair to see over the desk?

McCallum

PackerInRussia
    Participant

Ya know?

Right now it’s just one kid on a merry-go-round going round and round that everyone’s standing around watching and waiting to get off.

JeremyH
    Participant

yea i’m gettin’ dizzy. anyway, here’s another article:
    http://www.nsjonline.com/article/2017/02/breaking-down-the-top-candidates-in-nc-states-basketball-coaching-search
    covers Arch, Wade, Mouton, Marshall, Keatts.

MrPlywood
    Participant

^ They’ve been reading this site.

Wulfpack
    Participant

That’s a great find, JeremyH. And fantastic run down of these guys. Two quotes stand out:

When Sidney Lowe was fired, Archie was an assistant coach not getting any looks with P5 schools. Fast forward to six years later, he’s now a hot commodity having actually made it further than Gottfried and every other NC State coach over the past three decades … with Dayton.

How depressing is that?

Should NC State manage to land Marshall, his suffocating defense, ability to find diamonds in the rough on the recruiting trail and willingness to stand his ground in any battle, regardless of the odds, will make him a legend in Raleigh, practically from Day One. They may not ever admit it, but this is the candidate that the Ks, Roys, Pitinos and Boeheims least want to see in red.

I completely agree.

kwfpack
    Participant

Pay Marshall 5 mill for 7 years and be a winner again!

BJD95
    Keymaster

Nice win for tOSU last night. Maybe that keeps the carousel lighter!!

Adventuroo
    Participant

This whole “affair” reminds me of the storyline from “The Indecent Proposal – Part Deux”. AD Yow played the Redford character, Gaga, and Shaka Smart was Demi Moore’s Diana Murphy (ironic). Mrs. Smart & VCU had a combined role of David Murphy (Woodie Harrelson – Double Ironic). As Shaka was packing his bags to move in with Yow, he looked in the mirror and the mirror said back….”you can go lie down with that hussy in Raleigh, but don’t you ever come back…”

Mouton was supposed to be a “radical” and TOS was flaming him for his tweets. Finally read a few of them….he will be “cut off” on ESPN as he out Dabo’s Dabo and uses that 3 letter word WAY too much.

The plot thickens….

Tremendous shout out to Wes and the team and our 4 Seniors last night. We had Sylvia talking to the ghost of DES as the Lady Rams were down over 30 at one point. Our Bench had more red on than is in my closet….. including a “Red Blazer”.

Did NOT see AD Yow seated next to Mike Lipitz…..maybe I missed her. Had to give up my tickets as I was not able to attend due to recovery from being “chipped” by my Cardio Doc. Really hated to miss game. Gave my tickets to an NCSU bug Doctor who went to ABQ in 1983.

Go PACK!

Gowolves
    Participant

I keep seeing the comments regarding Keatts. And you know what? He’s done a fine job at UNCW.

But…

He’s only in his third year as a head coach. He has one appearance in the NCAA Tournament, and was ousted in the first round. Are we really ready to throw the keys to the castle at someone with that little experience?

If you want to be objective, Miller’s and Marshall’s resumes are FAR superior. Far superior. If we can’t get either one of those guys, then maybe we do go with a guy like Keatts. But the CAA aint the ACC. It’s a one bid league. And three years head coaching experience makea for a lot of learning on the job.

Honestly not trying to knock the guy. He’s done a fine job. But there is a flip side that must be taken into account.

Yes they lost in the first round to Duke 93-85. No shame in that loss. Also consider that Duke went to free throw line a crazy amount in the second half to come back in that game. Duke played from behind the entire time until the last few minutes.

BJD95
    Keymaster

One would also have to be doing extremely careful diligence on a dude coming from Louisville in the timeframe in which Keatts did. If he’s in the conversation on the B- list, we need be doing that NOW.

JeremyH
    Participant

Indeed, we should be combing through his background files.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Keatts may turn out to be a great hire for someone. But his resume up to this point reminds me too much of Sendek’s at Miami of Ohio. Ignoring the shudder that just went down my spine, Keatts’ resume is not unimpressive, it’s just incomplete at this point.

Wulfpack
    Participant

If State hires Archie will there be extra cash to pay for the phone books he’ll need to put in his chair to see over the desk?

If he is doing his job, there won’t be much desk sitting.

tvp1
    Participant

I think we have more of a “B”/2nd tier list than in the past searches, actually. If you consider Marshall/Arch as the “A”, then the “B” would be Holtmann at Butler and a host of successful current high major coaches who have at least been rumored to have interest or be looking for a move: Cronin, Enfield, Drew, Cuonzo Martin. You could throw in Crean if it suits you. I doubt all or even most of those guys actually would move, but they are basically on par with the Turgeon types of last time; they are non-crazy possibilities and we’d only need one to hit.

The more I read on Holtmann, in particular, the more I see him as an “A” type on par with Marshall/Miller. His record at Butler, in a much tougher conference than what Brad Stevens was dealing with, is outstanding.

Then at the so-called “B-” level, Wade has all the hallmarks of a future stud. The kind of guy who we look back on 5 years from now and ask, “why the hell didn’t we hire him?”

Keatts seems more risky/unknown for a number of reasons. He should be the absolute floor candidate.

Of course, in our last two searches we smashed through the floorboards and pulled out a coach from somewhere near the water table.

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 1,114 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.