Watching the Carousel Develop

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Watching the Carousel Develop

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 1,114 total)
  • Author
    TheAliasTroll
    Participant

That’s right, Crayola snowflake. This ain’t the Burger Kings. Life lesson on SFN for ya: Sometimes you don’t get your way.

tractor57
    Participant

My minimum is seeing some competitive play on the court. Hopefully that means in the mix for ACC champs and a good run into the NCAA dance most years. Losses by 51 points indicate to me we have an issue. Maybe coaching, maybe talent but regardless an issue.

ryebread
    Participant

Troll: We’re here to talk NC State sports. If you guys want to talk politics, create a thread and take it there. It is at a bare minimal off topic in this thread. Simple as that.

If there is a party over reacting here it is seemingly the defender of the faith, not the ones asking people to keep it on topic. That’s some SFN styled truth.

Gowolves
    Participant

What’s with the whiny complaining about Roo? He’s always posted that way while at the same time still contributing.. who cares? Get to your safe space or keep on scrolling.

Just mansplaining. It’s alright.

Mansplaining, huh? How metrosexual of you. Well it comes off as whiney offended little bitch’splainin

I knew that would bother you. Lol. Listen man I got no problem with Roo. I don’t know why you need to take up for him. He’s a big boy.

That said it does get old with all the political comments in a thread that’s supposed to be about outlets coaching search. I can understand why it bothers some. I don’t come to this thread to her people’s political dribble. I can turn the channel I get that, but when this thread is supposed to be something entirely different then it drives traffic away all together.

BJD95
    Keymaster

OK, let’s move along from the fracas-ing. The general rule is socio-polotical stuff should be tangential and mostly light-hearted in sports threads, so we don’t end up with an unhealthy environment.

Unless it’s a politics thread, though we typically don’t have many of them, or for long, because they get…uh, nuclear.

Especially when we are, for once, mostly on the same page. Coach search season!! Let’s stay off each other’s throats. Clean slate time.

BJD95
    Keymaster

And yes, Roo is just Roo, so I think it’s cool to mostly let him vent, but that last one went a little far and I can see how it rubbed people the wrong way. We don’t want it to take over the conversation.

So yeah, let’s keep the clean slate moving forward.

We have to send good wolven Karma into the universe so it sends us Arch back instead of another turd.

ryebread
    Participant

Thanks BJD. Appreciated as always. I enjoy the site and the way you guys run it.

On topic, I think we as a fan base have kind of zeroed in on grouping candidates:
    1a) Miller
    1b) Marshall

3a) Wade
    3b) Keatts

4) Other

Is there a tier 2 in there? Are guys like Cronin and Holtsmann actually in play?

choppack1
    Participant

And let’s be honest…The last thing most of us care about in a coach is their political leanings. Like I said, it would have to be something way off the reservation to make me want to dump a great coach….And if you stink, I don’t care if on a hundred issues you and I are in total agreement.

Their job is to 1 legally build a good basketball program 2 bring in kids and staff who don’t embarrass the university. 3 Conduct themselves in a way that doesn’t embarrass the university (this is more about personal behavior.)

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

On topic, I think we as a fan base have kind of zeroed in on grouping candidates:
    1a) Miller
    1b) Marshall

3a) Wade
    3b) Keatts

4) Other

Is there a tier 2 in there? Are guys like Cronin and Holtsmann actually in play?

Since we’re just piling opinions, I would be shocked in Marshall was interested. Also, I’m not sure that he would be worth what it would take to pry him away from his current gravy train. From the last list of published coaching salaries, I’m not sure that anyone in the ACC other than K is making more than he’s getting now. Plus he’s under a lot less pressure/competition at Scary Wheat than he would be at any ACC job.

So the only way I see Marshall leaving is if his ego has started making decisions. And if that’s the case, it wouldn’t shock me if he hangs around until Crean is let go at Indiana; because that seems inevitable. Four NCAAT appearances in 9 years maxing out with 2 S-16’s is not getting it done. I don’t know how hot Crean’s seat currently is, but it has to be getting warm. Indiana basketball wiki article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Hoosiers_men%27s_basketball

The only person that can answer your Tier 2 question is DY because we don’t know if anyone has caught her eye. Also, we don’t know who might be looking for a switch like TOB was when he left BC. That’s why you hire a search firm, so that those level of inquiries can go both ways.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Did not mean to rile up folks.

Hiring a coach with an openly extreme political view like Kerr and Popovich might have a positive recruiting influence based on the general population, but it could work the opposite for fans and alumni.

Therefore we need someone that is politically neutral.

My point about Coach Smith was he pushed the envelope. He actually improved the acceptance of black athletes and had some positive influence on CH…Who was actually more intolerant than Raleigh & NCSU.

State has a very good record of being color blind.

However, selecting a coach that beats a certain drum….Or frequently vents, as I am prone to do, would be foolish….And I believe that most Coaches social media activity is now looked at.

If the University wants to make a political statement and flouts the activism of their coach and the fans and alumni AR cool with it…..Fine.

Otherwise, the university needs to understand their supporters….And my take was that two activist NBA Coaches would not be a good fit.

How serious the post that offered them…I haven’t a clue.

If any of the Keymasters kills my venting post, it ain’t gonna bother me.

tractor57
    Participant

I’m popping corn and waiting for that tail number chase …

Beyond that I know nothing at all but I this all the wishes for Archie or Marshall are pipe dreams. I might be proven wrong but that is where I stand today. Not really expecting a tail number chase either.

pakfanistan
    Participant

How serious the post that offered them…I haven’t a clue.

The post suggested we were going to announce Pop during player introductions of our first ACC tourney game and he was going to coach us to a national championship…

JeremyH
    Participant

Thanks BJD. Appreciated as always. I enjoy the site and the way you guys run it.

1a) Miller
    1b) Marshall

3a) Wade
    3b) Keatts

4) Other

I think Wade and Keatts *are* the tier 2 guys, for better or for worse. Maybe guys like Moton and some random midmajors are that tier 3. The more I read about Wade, the more I like him. Would not be disappointed with Keatts either. Give ’em a 5 year, roll out the ball, and let’s see.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I agree that Marshall is more than likely not in play.

In my mind, there is a clear first choice. If we fail to get Miller, then who knows who we end up with.

This really ought to be a slam dunk, but we are NC State, so expect the unexpected.

ryebread
    Participant

I’d agree that I don’t think that Marshall is in play. Sadly what I’m hearing about Archie suggests he might not be either.

I’d hope there’s something between the 1a/1b candidates and the 3a/3b candidates. Both Keatts and Wade come with some significant risk. There have to be people like Cronin that sit in between that we should discuss.

BJD95
    Keymaster

This search is weird, because the “tier 2” guys DO feel more like 3s (or B- as I have called them). There isn’t really much I feel good about as a fallback, though that doesn’t mean said good candidates aren’t out there. I just don’t see them as readily as a Mark Turgeon from last time, etc.

On the flip side, we have a much better shot at one of the true A-list guys than usual (Arch) which further increases the potential “disappointment gap.”

To quote the beloved by all “Die Hard” – Hold onto your butts.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

^I’d actually be surprised if Marshall wasn’t interested. I don’t think it’s as high at may have been in years past. But I’ve said it repeatedly, he wanted the job twice. We blew it. And it has more to do than money.

From 2015, which about sums it as I’ve heard from longstanding close personal friends of he and his family:

“Marshall’s family enjoys Wichita, its schools and their friends, they have said. The happiness of Lynn Marshall and children Kellen and Maggie have always played a role in Gregg Marshall’s decisions and explain, in part, why he remained at Winthrop and Wichita State when tempted with other offers.

“If it ends up being about money, then there is some point that number is not attainable and wouldn’t be financially responsible,” Sexton said last week. “But there are so many other things that add up to what is a great job opportunity. We try to pay attention to all of those things.”

The article also goes on to discuss why he’s turned down more money in the past:

“Marshall’s most consistent standard for a new job is that it not be a rebuilding situation,” particularly as it applied to Alabama.

1. We are not a complete rebuild. Anybody can recruit here.
    2. He wanted the job twice.
    3. Marshall is fantastic evaluator and developer of talent, and he’s an excellent recruiter.

choppack1
    Participant

I have heard whispers that Marshall may be interested.

Like Whiteshoes, I think there are reasons that he might be interested in this job. NC State can offer him things many other P5 schools cannot.

Now, he could just be playing Koch brothers or Indiana or whomever for a raise…

Regarding Miller – his motivations for coming here are very different.

Like BJD – I agree that there are no obvious, obtainable and desireable P5 candidates.

BJD95
    Keymaster

^ Marshall is also a VERY DIFFICULT cat to read. It’s the ultimate “all in” move to target him, and I think we would have to get really bad signals from Team Miller in order to do so.

I do think he COULD see a fit here, especially with the K/Boeheim/Ol’ Roy timing. He definitely wants to be King Shit. But would Indiana still offer him that opportunity, plus an environment more similar to what his family is used to?

Indiana could and likely WOULD also offer him the $5-6M per year he’s likely expecting. I don’t believe we can.

JeremyH
    Participant

Indiana could and likely WOULD also offer him the $5-6M per year he’s likely expecting. I don’t believe we can.

Thought we have some pig-farmers with deep pockets (i.e., our own wealthy donors) — what’s our hold-up?

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I’d actually be surprised if Marshall wasn’t interested. I don’t think it’s as high at may have been in years past. But I’ve said it repeatedly, he wanted the job twice.

I have no problem believing he wanted to move from Winthrop when Sendek fled to the desert. But depending what rumors you believe, one of them was that Marshall walked away last time when he found out Shaka was our #1 choice. I have no idea how he feels about State/DY now.

If Marshall wants to avoid a rebuild….The amount of rebuilding needed at State is not going to be known for a while.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Indiana could and likely WOULD also offer him the $5-6M per year he’s likely expecting.

For context, this article from a year ago says that Crean was #8 nationally and Marshall #9 among those coaches in the NCAAT:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

That article is different than a lot of similar ones because it makes an attempt to account for bonuses. But it’s not like we really KNOW what anyone is making. If you scroll down the usatoday list, it has Archie listed at $700k. But this article says that Archie moved north of $1M in 2014:

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/news/miller-highest-paid-coach-atlantic/2f8Jru3hw6UF6JAZzehtgP/

Note that the Dayton article was based on university tax forms which should be much more reliable than most reports.

13OT
    Participant

Haven’t seen Chris Holtmann’s name come up on here. He’s definitely as good as Miller, maybe better. Recruits strong, emphasizes defense, an up-and-comer, and has coached in NC before. His team beat Villanova last night for the 2nd time this season, on the road. What’s not to like here?

I would hate to face Butler in the NCAAT next months. The Bulldogs are going to be one tough out!

pakfanistan
    Participant

The amount of rebuilding needed at State is not going to be known for a while.

Let’s speculate.

PG
    DSJr – Gone.
    Johnson – Rumors he’s homesick, but clearly #1 next year at his position.

SG
    Henderson – Most likely gone, unless he gets that miracle 6th year.
    Rowan – Earned his PT this year and then some.
    Dorn – Already transferred once, so he’s staying.

SF
    Kirk – Good friends with DSJr, may be motivated to transfer for playing time?

PF
    Freeman – Senior, already used a RS year.
    Abu – Possibly playing overseas?
    Kapita – I’ve heard rumors of a possible transfer, but with a coaching change, who knows.
    Hicks – No idea either way, seems like a Freeman kind of player, facing less of a log jam at his position.

Center
    Anya – Gone
    Thompson – Already transferred, very tall, possible few minutes a game guy?
    Yurt7 – Wants to go pro ASAP, and go NBA, so either gets drafted on potential or stays.

That doesn’t seem to indicate total devastation to me.

We might need to plug a hole or two w/ a late addition or transfer, but nothing impossible.

Radman
    Participant

1) Archie
    2) Holtmann
    3) Wade

Did not list Marshall. Don’t see us paying him the 5 mil he would want.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 1,114 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.