Tournamenttime – Game 1 – Boston College

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Tournamenttime – Game 1 – Boston College

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 345 total)
  • Author
    freshmanin83
    Participant

83 and Bass et al just think we need to lick our wounds, accept our fate, “thank you sir may I have another?!” (Animal House reference for those from Faison!), and move on. KK is a bust, the future is partly cloudy at best, wish we could have been accepted at xh, who is our daddy YES YOU are our daddy xh, should have hired Sean/Archie pick your flavor, etc etc etc soforth soforth soforth.
    Guys I know you don’t give a freak but I’m embarrassed for you! Just bite me, I want to puke! I don’t accept unx/Duke exceptionalism as a way of life and remember when it wasn’t that way! I’ll stand on the smoky mound and wave the flag if that’s what it takes!!!!!!!

If you are saying the things you wrote describe my thoughts then you are a wrong. If you are saying what you posted are my thoughts, ideas, attitudes and opinions then I am embarrassed for you at trying to spread lies.

Your thoughts are your own please do not try and project them onto me.

Dick Mann
    Participant

Does anyone have doubts that The Pack will get an NCAA bid?

freshmanin83
    Participant

83 and Bass et al just think we need to lick our wounds, accept our fate, “thank you sir may I have another?!” (Animal House reference for those from Faison!), and move on. KK is a bust, the future is partly cloudy at best, wish we could have been accepted at xh, who is our daddy YES YOU are our daddy xh, should have hired Sean/Archie pick your flavor, etc etc etc soforth soforth soforth.
    Guys I know you don’t give a freak but I’m embarrassed for you! Just bite me, I want to puke! I don’t accept unx/Duke exceptionalism as a way of life and remember when it wasn’t that way! I’ll stand on the smoky mound and wave the flag if that’s what it takes!!!!!!!

I honestly don’t know what you are talking about. If my expressing empathy for a player on another team is conflated into this then you are the one with a problem imo.

I thought we were joking around and having some good natured teasing back and forth like people do sometimes. I seem to recall you called me out about another post and I thought you were kidding then too, I kind of tried to play along but I guess I was wrong and it seems like you have a problem.

So please quote me directly, state clearly what you think the problem is and lets have a discussion but the accusations are just … saddening.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Does anyone have doubts that The Pack will get an NCAA bid?

No we are very clearly in. Lunardi has us in as the last four byes (i.e. no play in). We are in.

Packzingo
    Participant

I’ve seen way too many Lunardi predictions to put faith in much of what he says!

Wulfpack
    Participant

He’s pretty dead on. He misses a bubble or two here and there, but we aren’t bubble. We are in.

BassPacker
    Participant

Accept our Faith? KK is a Bust? WTH? Who said anything close to that? Not sure what that smoke is from but seems be effecting your eyes too.

GoldenChain
    Participant

Guys, chill.
    We all get excited, we all get disappointed. We all get emotional in the moment.
    Forgive my emotions.
    Its life.

I love and respect you all (well, most of you…some of you…you know what I mean).

GO PACK! KILL ‘EM IN THE NC2A and LOSE HOLES!!!! (no one here disagrees with that I know?!)

GC

Packzingo
    Participant

He’s pretty dead on. He misses a bubble or two here and there, but we aren’t bubble. We are in.

Agree: just a little annoyed with several predictions: Pack wins 100% in. Pack loss 4% in.
    IMO, it just doesn’t make sense? Maybe this wasn’t his prediction?

Cardiac95
    Participant

Back in the days of WolfChat… I was convinced that if we could only rid ourselves of Les Robinson, we’d start seeing ACC Championships again like we had historically… 20+ years later and wow… was I ever wrong…

But all that said, I’d much prefer a 10, 11, 12 seed to an 8/9…

Also… Brock Bytes… Those need to make a comeback…

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

In by a lot or In by a little…
    doesn’t make any difference to me…

From the outside, maybe we’re in…
    From the inside, as hard as these Kids have worked and improved, these Kids deserve to be in… regardless…

Others may differ….

POP!!!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    MrPlywood
    Participant

re: 100% in or 4% out – I haven’t read anything to the effect of “State’s in… for now, but watch your step”, it’s been “State’s done enough”. Oklahoma lost tonight so that should be the end of that farce.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I have seen no indication that we aren’t in. We were in before the tourney started. Lunardi has updated his bracket and we are still solidly in as a 9 (now against Creighton with Kansas waiting in the wings).

Regarding seeding – I keep seeing posts that people want is to fall from a 9 seed, because we don’t want a 1 seed in the second game.

If we move to a 10 seed, you get a 2 in the next round. If we move to an 11, you get a 3 seed. And if we move to a 12, we get a 4 seed.

I’m looking at all of these potential matchups, and see no real distinctions between the teams. There has been so much parity in college basketball this year. There is really not much that seperates a 1 from a 4 – so many teams have a chance to win it all this year. Note that we will NOT be matched up in our second game against UVa, Duke or UNC. So with that said our possible draws are:

1 seeds – Kansas, Xavier, Nova
    2 seeds – Purdue, Cincy
    3 seeds – Tennessee, Auburn, Michigan, MSU
    4 seeds – Wichita, Zona, Zags, Texas Tech

I’m not trying to be overconfident – but nobody there scares me. Of course, if we play like we did against GT and BC, then we are going home early anyways. But if we bring it, we can beat any and all of those teams. Didn’t have much trouble with 1 seed Nova the last time around (but then we followed it up with a stinker against Lville – huge missed opportunity).

Wulfpack
    Participant

Michigan has won like 11 of its last 12. They are super hot. Probably wouldnt want to see them.

Pack1997
    Participant

While most of the analyst are close to who gets in, they are almost always off considerably about seeding. Depending on who else gets in and how the tourneys play out we could be anywhere from a 7 to an 11. It’s just too hard to predict without knowing what this selection committee may value over previous selection committees. On the bright side, they had has 100% in with the Ville win, so even if the percentage came down some I would say we are lock. I am routing for anyone but Duke and UNC the rest of the way!

Zaphod
    Participant

After 24ish hours to cool off, I am still very happy with this team…Keatts took a bunch of cast-offs and pieces parts and turned it into a team…something that hasn’t happened at State in a while. This team had some severe weaknesses, and BC exploited them all.

But I’d also remind everyone that each of our last three coaches took their first team to the ACC Tournament finals (they all lost, of course) and then those same coaches turned out to be fools gold…at least this result broke the cycle. Also, in some ways I was concerned that if Keatts won the Tourney and did well in the NCAA Tourney, he might immediately be seen as a hiring option for some of the other “big names” who are struggling this year…now maybe he’ll be overlooked and have some time to build an actual team.

Also, next years recruiting class is all big men and a replacement for Al Freeman (not counting the three transfers) so all the frustration at the current crop of big men (all of whom are gone now, with the possible exception of Yurtseven) can be laid to rest once the season is over.

This team has been playing with house money since they beat Duke. I’m very happy with the progress made so far.

gso packbacker
    Participant

No clue what the committee will do when seeding us and determining an opponent (yes, I believe we are a “lock” at this point), but I do feel better than in past years. Just my take, but it seems that we’ve had more players step up at different times (on the flip side this points to a lack of consistency). That combined with a willingness by KK to be a little more dynamic (thoughtful?)
    than his predecessor with who plays and when, makes me feel as though we can beat teams that we might not match up well with on paper. We’ll get another test next week. 🙂

ryebread
    Participant

Yesterday was disappointing. There’s no way to spin that. We didn’t start playing until about 25 minutes in, and it is very hard to win a game only playing at a high level for 15 minutes. For 25 minutes we were everything bad about NC State basketball this year (lack of ball movement, hero ball, poor shot selection, lack of help on defense, no rebounding, missed free throws, etc.). Then for 15 minutes, we were the good NC State team, that I honestly believe can beat anyone.

I think we’re in as a 8-12 seed. How we do really depends on which team shows up to the game, or how much of the good vs. bad NC State team shows up. That’s the reality of all middling teams though.

I think we’re going to come out strong in game 1. We’ve played well this year when having a lay off to get focused, particularly off of a loss. I hope that’s not a last 4 in game so we don’t “waste” that game. Get past game one, and anything can happen, particularly if we can put a team away early and can have fresh legs.

I think the future is bright. People are letting one game cloud their view of the season. We were predicted to end at 12th and finished at 5th. That was with a pieced together roster, and with several kids out multiple games. Rome wasn’t built in a day, but a fantastic foundation has been laid.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Well… Ryebread is at the top of his game this morning…

Well said!

GO PACK!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    maverick_ncsu
    Participant

I’m looking at all of these potential matchups, and see no real distinctions between the teams. There has been so much parity in college basketball this year. There is really not much that seperates a 1 from a 4 – so many teams have a chance to win it all this year. Note that we will NOT be matched up in our second game against UVa, Duke or UNC. So with that said our possible draws are:

1 seeds – Kansas, Xavier, Nova
    2 seeds – Purdue, Cincy
    3 seeds – Tennessee, Auburn, Michigan, MSU
    4 seeds – Wichita, Zona, Zags, Texas Tech

I’m not trying to be overconfident – but nobody there scares me. Of course, if we play like we did against GT and BC, then we are going home early anyways. But if we bring it, we can beat any and all of those teams. Didn’t have much trouble with 1 seed Nova the last time around (but then we followed it up with a stinker against Lville – huge missed opportunity).

I look at teams like Nova, Michigan, MSU, Gonzaga and I don’t want any part of them. They play fundamental basketball and make you work on the defensive end. I would rather face a run-n-gun team this year. Just my two cents. I will add that I think we could beat any team in the country when we play our best.

44rules
    Participant

Love this from Bill:

Come on guys…
    On paper we were a ‘sucky’ team from the start…
    In some games, the ‘paper’ was right…
    In other games, we played like champs…
    And in still other games, we did both…
    Some of those we won, some we lost… No NCSS…

Listen folks, I want to believe, but as Stormy told a certain leader of the free world, It’s hard.

I still have hope and belief in Keatts, even after yesterday and being at the Tech game. If you had told me at the beginning of the season this is where we would be, well, I’d have taken it.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

WolfWiz11
    Participant

I like Keatts. I really do. And the team went above and beyond my (very tempered) expectations this season. My disappointment (and I suspect others’) stems from the fact that no matter who the coach is, (HWSNBN, Sid, Gott, KK) we seem to squander great opportunities when we create them. No one expected us to finish 3rd in the ACC, but we did. We got the single bye. The door was wide open, waiting for us to walk through, and we completely missed it; as if we didn’t see it/walked right past it.

So we understand we have to be patient, but to get any sort of respect in the Triangle and conference, we have to start walking through those doors when we open them (against all odds too–cheating, bad refs, suspensions, injuries). Because the talent level is rising every year. A few years from now, VT could be the new UVA. Or Clemson will break through just like FSU did a few years ago. Heck, maybe WF will rise once again. 50 years could pass between our last ACC Tournament title (which still matters a great deal to me) and many will still be saying WTNY.

Bottom line is, we choked yesterday. Hopefully, we still make the NCAA, get a favorable seed, and make a healthy run. But I am of the belief it is much easier to win your conference tourney than the entire NCAA tournament, despite having to play so many back-to-back games. I just want some hardware, any hardware.

Fastback68
    Participant

State was competitive in every game except for Clemson, ND and Virginia. The remaining losses were winnable in so many ways. This season is not over yet and I find myself already looking at next year. Talk about a clean break, MJ and Yurt are the only Gott starters remaining and many posters think Yurt leaves for the nba draft. KK has 8 more of his guys coming in next year. I expect bb IQ, defense, athleticism, rebounding, ball handling, home field advantage and killer instinct to improve. In other words, a lot less fugly. TM Botb

Wulfpack
    Participant

But I’d also remind everyone that each of our last three coaches took their first team to the ACC Tournament finals (they all lost, of course) and then those same coaches turned out to be fools gold…at least this result broke the cycle. Also, in some ways I was concerned that if Keatts won the Tourney and did well in the NCAA Tourney, he might immediately be seen as a hiring option for some of the other “big names” who are struggling this year…now maybe he’ll be overlooked and have some time to build an actual team.

Historical context is important. Wih that said, I think Keatts is going to have us very competitive year after year.

As to his visibility – he’s already turned heads. It’s no secret he can coach. I’m certain there will be suitors, but I think he has the job he wants.

BassPacker
    Participant

I like Keatts. I really do. And the team went above and beyond my (very tempered) expectations this season. My disappointment (and I suspect others’) stems from the fact that no matter who the coach is, (HWSNBN, Sid, Gott, KK) we seem to squander great opportunities when we create them. No one expected us to finish 3rd in the ACC, but we did. We got the single bye. The door was wide open, waiting for us to walk through, and we completely missed it; as if we didn’t see it/walked right past it.

Bottom line is, we choked yesterday. Hopefully, we still make the NCAA, get a favorable seed, and make a healthy run. But I am of the belief it is much easier to win your conference tourney than the entire NCAA tournament, despite having to play so many back-to-back games. I just want some hardware, any hardware.

This says it all…bravo. Why I’m frustrated after yesterday. We just can’t seem to seize an opportunity from tripping over our own feet. Having seen and experienced the winning times of the red and white from the early 70’s to mid 80’s, I so much wanna see some hardware.

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 345 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.