Tournamenttime – Game 1 – Boston College

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Tournamenttime – Game 1 – Boston College

Viewing 20 posts - 326 through 345 (of 345 total)
  • Author
    WolfWiz11
    Participant

Semantics. You’d still be upset if I said we shat the bed. In some ways, saying we “weren’t ready to play” sounds even worse to me. That implies some failure on the part of the coaching staff to get us mentally prepared. Which, I don’t blame KK at all. Guys simply dropped the ball, thought they’d already won by being the fifth seed, probably thinking ahead to Clemson.

It’s funny that you’re questioning others’ fandom on a fan forum. So if someone doesn’t agree with you or uses different terminology to describe what they saw, they’re a bad fan? OK.

I (and anyone else who said they choked) didn’t say it as a good thing. It’s a bad thing they did. It’s frustrating. But hopefully they learned from it the way they did the Ga Tech loss. I don’t think anyone on this team is so sensitive as to let words like “choked” affect them. If they are, then we’re screwed either way.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Lunardi has moved us to a 10 seed in the West against the Nevada Wolf Pack with the winner drawing 2 seed Purdue.

Greywolf
    Participant

Semantics. You’d still be upset if I said we shat the bed. In some ways, saying we “weren’t ready to play” sounds even worse to me. That implies some failure on the part of the coaching staff to get us mentally prepared. Which, I don’t blame KK at all. Guys simply dropped the ball, thought they’d already won by being the fifth seed, probably thinking ahead to Clemson.

It’s funny that you’re questioning others’ fandom on a fan forum. So if someone doesn’t agree with you or uses different terminology to describe what they saw, they’re a bad fan? OK.

I (and anyone else who said they choked) didn’t say it as a good thing. It’s a bad thing they did. It’s frustrating. But hopefully they learned from it the way they did the Ga Tech loss. I don’t think anyone on this team is so sensitive as to let words like “choked” affect them. If they are, then we’re screwed either way.

If you think players on this or any team don’t mind be called a choker or have it said they they choked, you don’t know people. The ability to perform or play under pressure separates the winners from the wannabees.

In my time to choke meant that you let the pressure get to you and missed a critical shot due to tension. It wasn’t a general term meaning all the things you say it means.

I wasn’t questioning anyone’s fandom, I was questioning your “big talking,” saying the team choked when you don’t have a clue what choking is.

Fastback68
    Participant

The template to beating State is to get 2 early fouls on Yurt or Dorn and preferably both so they have to sit out large portions of the first half. It happened in the VT, Gt and B.C. games. It’s to the point where you need to take them out of the game for at least 5 minutes if they pick up foul #1 within the first 5 minutes of the game. Whether those first fouls are legit or not, you can’t get into a position where a jack—— ref can call another foul legit or not. Our players can’t seem to comprehend this concept. Yurt constantly tries to keep missed shots alive by going over the back and Dorn tries to rip the ball away after they have picked up foul #1. They act mystified when the whistle blows a second time. It’s frustrating for everyone involved but you have to play smart. Just remember you can break forearms with 4 legit fouls in the second half before you have to worry about fouling out.

WolfWiz11
    Participant

In my time to choke meant that you let the pressure get to you and missed a critical shot due to tension. It wasn’t a general term meaning all the things you say it means.

I wasn’t questioning anyone’s fandom, I was questioning your “big talking,” saying the team choked when you don’t have a clue what choking is.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choke_(sports)

I know we aren’t supposed to cite Wikipedia as a credible source, so here’s another:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/670865-power-ranking-the-top-50-worst-chokes-in-sports-history

Note, the examples in the Wikipedia article include the 2016-17 Atlanta Falcons, and the Fab 5 vs UNX Chris Webber debacle.

The difference here, is that I’m not happy to say that we choked on Wednesday. It’s what I saw. I take no glee in pointing out my observation. We were performing well, had a great season by all expectations. Went into the tournament favored to win that first game. And blew it. We got upset. You can say Robinson had a bad game the last time we played them, etc. But on paper, and in reality, we should have won that game and then I could see us losing to Clemson–a much better team than BC.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

In some ways, saying we “weren’t ready to play” sounds even worse to me. That implies some failure on the part of the coaching staff to get us mentally prepared.

For the record, at least according to my coaching book….

Yes
    and
    Yes…

Everybody chokes… and it’s more frequent the ‘first time’…
    And most of time, choking starts as a individual thing which may or may not spread to the rest of the team… Choking only happens during the game…

“Not Ready To Play” is much more of a “Team” thing… Choking only happens before the game…

—————–

Bet your A##, we’ll be “Ready” for the next game, whenever that is…

And just to close the door behind me, “Being Ready To Day” does NOT mean the end of “FUGLY”…

Y7 is still going to ‘try’ to play perimeter defense, which has become a joke of sorts…
    Abu is still going to disappoint himself…
    A.Freeman is still going to take some bad shots…
    Markell, A. Freeman and Beverly are still going to make some bad passes…
    Dorn is still going to rest in the first half…

They’ve done that every game this season…
    The games we won Big and the close ones, win or lose…. They were ‘Ready To Play’…
    The games we lost by a lot… They weren’t ‘Ready To Play’…

GO PACK!

POP!!!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Rick
    Keymaster

Coach Rick…

How are your girls doing this season?

GO PACK!

Botb,
    Somehow my girls pulled off the win today.
    My daughter was fantastic. She had 10 points and was responsible for another 10 or so.
    I didn’t think we would run one do that was exciting.

wolfmanmat
    Participant

Lunardi has moved us to a 10 seed in the West against the Nevada Wolf Pack with the winner drawing 2 seed Purdue.

Would be perfect Ncaa set up. Wolf pack vs. Wolf pack and the Martin twins face their old school. Ncaa always sets up matchups for a reason and for interest. This makes way to much sense and could definitely see it happening

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Botb,

GREAT JOB!

They’ll remember that for a long time…
    Success breeds success…
    I just hope it wasn’t the last game of the season…

Now…
    Did you give PostGameSpeech #1 or #2 ???

GO Rick’s GIRLS!

POP!!!

Rick
    Keymaster

Botb,

GREAT JOB!

They’ll remember that for a long time…
    Success breeds success…
    I just hope it wasn’t the last game of the season…

Now…
    Did you give PostGameSpeech #1 or #2 ???

GO Rick’s GIRLS!

POP!!!

I really had nothing to do with the won it was all on the girls. The defense finally clicked and it offense went well also.

It was the last game. They worked hard for it and I think my daughter figured out that practice pays off.

I gave them the ‘you work hard and it pays off’ speech. This was probably my favorite season ever. To see my daughter expression of joy after winning was worth every minute I put into the season.

Greywolf
    Participant

It was the last game. They worked hard for it and I think my daughter figured out that practice pays off.

I gave them the ‘you work hard and it pays off’ speech. This was probably my favorite season ever. To see my daughter expression of joy after winning was worth every minute I put into the season.

Thanks for sharing Rick. Those lessons are the ones that make youth sports worthwhile.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Updated: seeded 9th in the Midwest againt Butler. Kansas waiting in the wings.

Rick
    Keymaster

Thanks for sharing Rick. Those lessons are the ones that make youth sports worthwhile.

Thanks for ‘listening’. I agree about kid learning. It was a tough season for her but she really worked hard. I hope that’s a life lesson for her.

Texpack
    Participant

Establishing the link between hard work/preparation and success is the greatest lesson you can get from sports. I coached a one win team years ago and it wasn’t because of transfers either.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Greywolf wrote:

Thanks for sharing Rick.

Thanks for ‘listening’.

^StateFansNation at its finest…

GO PACK!

Wulfpack
    Participant

Interesting that Palm also has us as a 9 seed in the Midwest, facing Providence. Winner gets top seeded Kansas (who looked solid in the Big 12 Tourney).

Wulfpack
    Participant

Reminder that the Selection Show is at 6 on TBS.

The NIT Selection Show follows at 8:30 on ESPNU.

Heelh8r
    Participant

The NIT Selection Show follows at 8:30 on ESPNU.

Bite your tongue!

Wulfpack
    Participant

No, not at all worried about the Pack getting in.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Davidson steals another bid.

Viewing 20 posts - 326 through 345 (of 345 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.