Tournamenttime – Game 1 – Boston College

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Tournamenttime – Game 1 – Boston College

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 345 total)
  • Author
    Rick
    Keymaster

I don’t agree this team looks like the last coach. I couldn’t even stand to watch last year. They played lazy and not smart.
    This year’s team played hard. They never gave up. They were fun to watch. For the most part they played well at the end of games.

Keatts has a week defined system. It had been wildly successful every where he has been. The only remaining question is will it work at this level. This year is a good start. I could see us taking a small step back next year and then doing much better year three. Overall I am very satisfied with this year. It had far exceeded my expectations despite the crappy acc tournament.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Coach Rick…

How are your girls doing this season?

GO PACK!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Pack1997
    Participant

Rick I agree with you…..that hurts me to say! I also think many of the complaints mentioned by 13 are in fact issues with college basketball as a whole. Watch any game with any teams and you will see the things he complained about.

Rick
    Keymaster

Coach Rick…

How are your girls doing this season?

GO PACK!

Last game is tomorrow. They haven’t won a game. My daughter is playing great but she is the only person in my team who can even dribble. My second best player has a cast on her shooting hand. I am proud of how my daughter has handled herself as I know she is frustrated. Most games were blow outs. It is frustrating as a coach as I have no bullets in the chamber.
    Having said that the girls are really sweet and have improved a ton.

Thanks for asking.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Coach Rick….

Have you considered hitting the recruiting trail in the off season with some shoe money?

GO PACK!

Khan
    Participant

This team is capable of beating the best or losing to the worst on any given day. There’s no way to predict it or understand it. It’s just who they are. Keatts has done a remarkable job in year one. Abu is terrible. This team is fun to watch when they’re on and maddening to watch when they aren’t. You might as well flip a coin to figure out what team is going to show up. At least they have heart and don’t quit. That’s pretty much it.

If we win the first round, I think we’re at least a Sweet 16 team, probably Elite 8. IF we win the first round. Quarter came up heads two and a half times. 🙂

Rick
    Keymaster

Rick I agree with you…..that hurts me to say! I also think many of the complaints mentioned by 13 are in fact issues with college basketball as a whole. Watch any game with any teams and you will see the things he complained about.

I am not sure why that would hurt you. I have, unfortunately, been right about the crappy coaches we have had 😉

I haven’t watched much basketball outside of ncsu. It’s just not an enjoyable sport any more. It reminds me of the 90s nba. The NCAA needs to centralize refs and clean up the rampant cheating or it will die a slow death.

Rick
    Keymaster

Coach Rick….

Have you considered hitting the recruiting trail in the off season with some shoe money?

GO PACK!

Lol
    That’s about the only way to fix my problems.
    I imagine this is the last year I coach her in basketball. I think she wants to play middle School. I hope she makes the team. She is practicing almost every day do I think she will.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

I imagine this is the last year I coach her in basketball.

I always thought it was a mistake to Coach your own kids on a team… Best for me to coach other kids and let other coaches coach mine… I worked out with ’em and showed ’em some stuff individually…

I did coach my son one season in baseball (7th grade), and that was the only season out of 11 that I had a parent ask me “why I was starting my son and not her’s?” She didn’t understand when I told her honestly that her kid was a little weaker than the others and that I didn’t want to him to get ruined by constant failure…

The kid took it well, buckled down, came to every practice and every game with a good attitude and improved, but never started on that team…

The next season that kid started shaving and was the only kid from my team that made the middle school team… My son and him are still good friends and see each other regularly 20 some years later…

Mom, I think, still looks at me funny…

———————-
    I’d try summer league on a team of better girls, if she’s serious about it…
    If you want to be the best, play with and against the best…

Good Luck!

Rick
    Keymaster

I’d try summer league on a team of better girls, if she’s serious about it…
    If you want to be the best, play with and against the best…

Good Luck!

Agreed. This is the first year she had really been serious about it. So it’s time for her to play against better players and have better coaching.
    I am looking at other leagues and also the ncsu girls summer camp.

Rick
    Keymaster

I did coach my son one season in baseball (7th grade), and that was the only season out of 11 that I had a parent ask me “why I was starting my son and not her’s?”

I have never had that happen. If course before this season my kids weren’t the best on the team either. I tend to be tougher on my child than the others so that probably factors into it.

I liked coaching basketball and the leagues they were playing in weren’t ultra competitive so we all enjoyed it.
    I have been forced to coach soccer and frankly I don’t like it. I played high school soccer but the game is so different now. And casl had a bunch of nut job parents who all think their kid is getting a scholarship and none of them are. My kids play for fun and I figure why have kids if you aren’t going to be involved in their lives.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

nut job parents who all think their kid is getting a scholarship

Yep…. If she’s gonna be an “athlete” and play competitively… both of ya’ll might as well get used to that and go ahead and “agree on some things”…

It’s cheaper, in most cases, to pay for college than for 6-8 years of year round sports, including “travel teams”…
    Math is our friend.

GO PACK!

Pack1997
    Participant

At the ball field where I grew up playing baseball, soccer and basketball, they had to make a rule for tee ball. The parents and spectators had to be in the outfield. The coaches and umpire would stop the game until the individuals were removed from behind the plate. They had to do this because the parents were so aggressive and vocal towards the coaches and umpires. For freakin tee ball. The kids chase butterflies for petes sake. Thats what the world has come to.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

“The Recreation Business”, both public and private, feed off of parents’ competitiveness and their willingness to re-live their youth thru their kids lives.

It’s Sad… for every 1 kid that gets to play ball on a High School Team , there are a hundred or more who refused to continue playing before the seventh grade because they weren’t big enough, good enough, faster enough, played on losing teams and didn’t have fun, couldn’t put up with Mom or Dad, or had a bad experience with a Coach or team mate…

They’d all be better off playing in the yard or street… by themselves… until the sixth grade…

end of rant…

choppack1
    Participant

Botb ; that model doesn’t exist anymore. Kids don’t roam neighborhoods and play pick up like we used to do.

My son isn’t really competitive, and unlike his Dad, doesn’t like sports in general. He doesn’t like to follow set rules – which sports rely upon. I stopped trying to get him to them except for some exercises and swimming (which I consider a survival skills.)

Of course, now he seems to realize maybe he would like to play a sport or two, but he’s afraid of not doing well (understandable). I told him I would work with him so he’s up to speed, and if his effort and attitude were fine, I didn’t care how he did And that pretty much ended that conversation because it involved “work” and “effort”.

My sister in law told me what one of my nephew’s coaches in Hong Kong said. Kids are either warriors or butterflies. My son is definitely a butterfly.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Bama up 9 on Aubie in the second half. Bid stealer.

Wulfpack
    Participant

State is a “should be in” on the espn bubble tracker:

Boston College jumped on the Wolfpack from the opening tip and hung on for a 91-87 win in the ACC tournament second round. Bubble Watch expects the loss still won’t be enough to knock NC State out of the field of 68, but failing to even make the ACC quarterfinals could drop it to a double-digit seed.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Chop… I know…

GO PACK!

Wulfpack
    Participant

Bama dominating Auburn.

rthomas44
    Participant

I tried to take my son to State football…until I realized that he was so overloaded with the whole thing that he would pull his sweatshirt over his head! No more.

MrPlywood
    Participant

State is a “should be in” on the espn bubble tracker:

Ha, came here just to post that. Palm has State as an 8 now – don’t know about that. The Pack seems to be above the bid-stealing fray, but hopefully lesson learned for KK re: OOC sched.

Greywolf
    Participant

Rick, B.otb, Chop: Enjoyed your comments about youth sports. My son would play any anything that had a number on the back of the shirt plus wrestle. By choice played on 3 soccer teams in the same time frame — JrHS, travel and rec league. He also played the cello until senior year HS. I coached some rec and some travel league. Every practice without fail included 1/3 skills development, 1/3 group drills/training, and 1/3 play. They were asked to include some aspect of the days skill development. My son wasn’t the best overall player but he hated to lose the worst of them all.

I was a jerk with him occasionally. Like someone said I was harder on him than the other kids. I did manage my parents behavior. Once had a parents meeting during the travel league state tournament championship game. The meeting was short. Just long enough to let them know if the coaching and criticism didn’t stop, I would pull the team off the field and we would forfeit. Hard for kids to play with a parent or coach yelling at them, telling them what to do.

My daughter was the better athlete but her interests were more along ballet lines. She did seem to enjoy “walking” some boy down and taking the ball away from him. This was before we had girls leagues. After the girls leagues were formed she score 5 goals in the first half and spent the second half traumatizing the opponents in our defensive end of the field.

Enough of this trip down memory lane. I will say the my son let his 2 daughters play or not play. Their choice. His only rule was no quitting mid season. You start it, you finish it.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Lunardi has updated our status to a LOCK.

Greywolf
    Participant

Keatts is having his play anyway that offers then the best chance to win. After the loss to BC he said we didn’t play good defense. He didn’t throw them under the bus saying they choked.

He’s in this for the long haul. Accusing them of choking — even if he thought they did — is not on the list of good things to say about your team. IMO this includes fans. Of course if you don’t know anything else to say…

Wulfpack
    Participant

I don’t think we choked, we just weren’t ready to play. Don’t know how that happens your biggest game of the year. Let it be a lesson learned.

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 345 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.