Tournamenttime – Game 1 – Boston College

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Tournamenttime – Game 1 – Boston College

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 345 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

Pitt fired Stallings today.

rthomas44
    Participant

Everyone take a deep breath…as a ’73 grad I watched STATE go undefeated and win conference tournament and then go home and sit. Now that was real frustration. I just hope this team can win one more time.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Bottom line is, we choked yesterday.

Respectfully, I tend to disagree…

From where I sat, it was much more of a matter of “Not Ready To Play Ball”…
    and in all truthfulness, I’d put that 67% on Coaches / 33% on players…

It was the first ACCT for everybody, especially including Keatts and his Coaches, except A.Freeman, Yurt7, Abu and Markell, iirc… and after the season they had, I suspect they ALL looked at the Tourney and NYC more as a vacation than work… with the exception of Abu who has been ‘on vacation’ one way or the other all season…

GO PACK!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    BassPacker
    Participant

BOTB….I don’t think we choked yesterday and didn’t say that. I do agree we can’t seem to take advantage of an opportunity when the door is open for us. Don’t agree we came out “not ready to play” either. We may have came out and got “out played” but didn’t come not ready to play. That’s more NCStateS**T than choking. We gotta learn to seize the moment from the tip off. It will come with KK.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Sorry BP… grabbed that from the wrong place… I’ll be the last one to put words in somebody else’s mouth, if I can help it…

Generic question…

Does ‘Not ready to play’ mean ‘too high/too tight’ or ‘too low/too laidback’ or either case?

GO PACK!

Packzingo
    Participant

As a whole, I think today’s reflections are much more positive following an obviously disappointing performance… I don’t think they choked but didn’t expect BC to dig as deep into the Balls To The Wall playbook!! I was expecting a much more spirited effort as a team because most of these grad transfers were experiencing the ACC tourney for the first time, unfortunately they were the Most spirited and some others just didn’t have a good day. I love the guys and won’t beat up a 20 yr old kid but as previously stated, it’s a difficult task to find that key that motivates certain individuals.

One good point, we get some time to rest and regardless of an NCAA seed, and an opportunity for redemption! Regardless how the NCAA plays out, I think that Yurt will be advised to learn for one more yr and perhaps develop into a Lottery selection. Currently, he’s headed back to Europe should he leave.
    Again, just speculation based on how SOFT he plays. Should he come back another year with the group joining the Pack, expectations would be high!!!

Go Pack.

Packzingo
    Participant

Additionally, I expect Clemson to struggle with BC today should BC come out with the same intensity and hit the 3 ball. BC handle the boards and shots 50%, I think they will win. Probably way off but just a feeling.

BassPacker
    Participant

Good question BOTB…IMO it was ‘too high/too laidback’. Pack came in with a high from beating da Ville but too laidback not play not to stop IMO the best back court guard duo in the league with Robinson and Bowman. We had no answer for them putting up over 50 pts on Pack. Don’t you agree…. its more we were ‘out played’, not so much ‘not ready to play’? I also believe there was certain play and players that helped us get out played. Abu is absolutely dead weight when on the floor. His TO and bad fouls just don’t justify any minutes he gets. The 3 or 4 minute span Abu was in the game saw Moe and unforced errors kill us intiated by Abu. The TO collapse at the last minute mark by Freeman and Johnson was total mental breakdowns. I feel like if we got the ball in bounds cleanly, we win game. Like some said, a day to cool off helps but it still hurts to see BC move on. Maybe BC showed Pack you gotta play with a chip on your shoulders if given a second chance in NCAA.

Greywolf
    Participant

That’s a strong accusation for someone who doesn’t have any skin in the game.

I’m convinced the internet ruins the character of men. We say things on the net we wouldn’t dare say to peoples faces. THIS right here is “State stuff” coach. Live with it. It ain’t going away. Not on this board. Likely not on any message board.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^To be honest… I didn’t consider both ‘too high/too low’… :>}

But I think we’re seeing/saying the same thing…

To put other ways, I’d call it some combination of…
    “Wow… this is the ACC Tournament and other teams play hard.”
    “Just glad to be here…”
    “We’re on a roll and we ain’t got much to worry about”

I don’t know what wasn’t right, but everybody agrees, something wasn’t right….

As pointed out, we got 8-9 days to get our heads right, and we’ll be counting on Keatts to get that job done right….

GO PACK!

WolfBlood86
    Participant

But I’d also remind everyone that each of our last three coaches took their first team to the ACC Tournament finals (they all lost, of course)

Gottfried never made it to any ACC final but I get what you are saying. This team exceeded any of our expectations. One game will not define this season, team, or coach.

WolfWiz11
    Participant

That’s a strong accusation for someone who doesn’t have any skin in the game.

Athletes and teams choke all the time. The Spurs choked against the Heat in 2013. The Falcons choked against the Patriots last year. I absolutely would say it to an athlete’s face. However, I wouldn’t do so belligerently; I’m not an idiot. Reporters ask about teams choking all the time in post-game. Do it respectfully. But just pointing out my view. We are clearly the better team, both on paper and in actuality. We were favorites to win, we destroyed them last time, we had an extra day of rest on them, we are (likely) going to make the NCAA tournament. We choked, dropped the ball, disappointed. Whatever you want to call it. It doesn’t mean I don’t support the team anymore. Calling it like I see it and if we play that game 10 times, we should win it at least 7 times. When you expect to win and you are expected to win and you don’t, they call it an “upset” for a reason. Whether you got upset, you choked, you wet the bed, there’s no nice word or phrase for it.

Go Pack. Go forth and improve, play better, put this one behind you.

Zaphod
    Participant

But I’d also remind everyone that each of our last three coaches took their first team to the ACC Tournament finals (they all lost, of course)

Gottfried never made it to any ACC final but I get what you are saying. This team exceeded any of our expectations. One game will not define this season, team, or coach.

My bad….getting old, memory getting fuzzy…he made it to the semis that year. That was the “Noles > Holes” tournament.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

If you ain’t ever “choked”, then you ain’t ever “swallowed” either…

Only way to avoid choking, is to never down at the table and eat…

GO PACK!

Packzingo
    Participant

If you ain’t ever “choked”, then you ain’t ever “swallowed” either…

Only way to avoid choking, is to never down at the table and eat…

GO PACK!

Heck, I’ve choked at dinner, bars, played collegiate tennis and even had days Fishing BASS bass tournaments when I actually couldn’t hit the water!! Now that’s choking ??

Rest up Pack and prepare for the Big Dance!

BassPacker
    Participant

had days Fishing BASS bass tournaments when I actually couldn’t hit the water!! Now that’s choking ??

Zingo, that ain’t choking, that’s feeling the pressure when they don’t bite. Chasing those little green fish will humble you like a loss to BC.

WolfBlood86
    Participant

My bad….getting old, memory getting fuzzy…he made it to the semis that year. That was the “Noles > Holes” tournament.

Happens to the best of us. I just remember that game so well… the tick tacky foul. Basically, I learned that day you have stiff-arm someone’s a** to the ground in basketball and not get called for the offensive foul, and on social media a bunch of Cheater Homers saying it wasn’t a foul because his feet were moving. BS! Then why not just spear a player to open the lane for your teammate as long as his feet are moving? Then after the game the Cheater player saying he knew the refs wouldn’t call him for a “tick tacky” foul. Fouls are different went you were the color blue…

Wolfpackjack76
    Participant

GC, Fall 72 thru spring 76 myself. Golden years indeed. Kicked butts in almost every sport. I was at every home game for the 74 team. If you’ll recall they had a lottery for the 100 student tickets to the final four…only thing I’ve ever won but I was in Greensboro for the Championship! So glad to see things starting to look up for us again.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Fall 72 thru spring 76 myself

Nothing like basketball brings the Red Wolves out of their dens…

Jack…

I’m adding you to the list of ’76…

CowDog
    Wolfanatic
    Wolfpackjack76
    bill.onthebeach

—————-

Rest of ya’ll go ahead and sign in…
    especially the HereButNotHere gang…

GO PACK!

POP!!!

13OT
    Participant

I’m not worried about the Pack getting in on Sunday- they probably will. But the seeding will probably give State little chance to advance in the NCAAT, even if they don’t have to go to Dayton.

I’m sorry to say it, but after seeing almost every home game this season, I didn’t see any real improvement over the last coach. We did win more games, but the same things that have held this program back for decades continue to haunt us: terrible defense, untimely turnovers, bad shot selection and inconsistent free throw shooting.

Winning the GT and BC games at season’s end would have greatly enhanced State’s NCAAT seeding, but in those games State was outhustled and decisively beaten by inferior opponents. Until State starts playing like a real Wolfpack rather than like a pack of wolves, where players are more interested in driving the ball to the rack for a highlight reel dunk rather than passing off to an open teammate, it’s likely we’ll continue to be another ACC program mired somewhere from the middle to the lower part of the ACC.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

I’ve said it before, and it may be simplistic, but this team is as good as its three point shooting. When they are hot, there is not a team they can not beat. When they are cold, there is not a team they can not lose to. Granted they went 11-21 against BC yesterday (amazingly the exact same as the first meeting). However, they waited to get hot until they were down bigtime, but still managed to tie it up. We seem to live and die beyond the arc.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Oh yeah, b.otb, I spent all four years in Alexander dorm. I believe that Highstick should be on your 76 list also..Pretty sure he said he was in Alexander as a frosh in 72.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

I spent all four years in Alexander dorm.

So did I… We need to talk about that….
    email me… dontworryaboutit13 at gmail.com

Stick started at State in 64 or 65 — went to the Army, came back in 70… iirc…

POP!!!

ryebread
    Participant

Like many, I was sad we didn’t seize the moment. I think we kind of looked past BC (and possibly even Clemson) and didn’t play State basketball until it was too late. Yes, it was disappointing.

If we’re honest we’ve not been a great road or neutral court team this year (though we’ve been better at both than any State team for a long time around here). If I’m honest with myself, I didn’t like that match up and would have much rather played GT. I think the team would have come out more hungry.

If this preps is better for the big tournament, then so be it. The team has felt the sting of a disappointing loss where they didn’t play winning basketball. Hopefully it doesn’t happen again. One more half like the first, and the season will be over. Play like the second and we could make a deep run. Which teams does this one want to be? I kind of think Al Freeman, Sam Hunt and Nard don’t want their careers to end just yet.

choppack1
    Participant

Thankfully, I missed most of the game. However, it sounds like we lost the turnover battle and got killed on the boards. Keatts’ teams will lose when that’s the case because his entire philosophy comes down to having more shots than the other team. They may shoot at a good clip, but we will shoot more 3s, not give up as many 3s and turn you over.

It will be interesting to see what next year is like with more depth and more long guys. I think our offense will take a step back with the likely loss of Yurtsven – but we should be able to defend and turn teams over better. (Of course, if you looked at Keatts Wilmington numbers, you may just conclude that his teams don’t win with defense. I think that’s a little simplistic, but I do believe teams will usually shoot a good percentage vs us because our primary focus is full court press and close out on 3s.

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 345 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.