NC Political Predictions

Home Forums StateFans Non Sports Talk NC Political Predictions

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 511 total)
  • Author
    pakfanistan
    Participant

You have absolutely no tolerance for any view but your own, and will bash and name call to make your point.

Show me

Adventuroo
    Participant

Watching a trailer for a new movie…”Rules Do NOT Apply”….coming to a theater later in November. Yogi is correct…seems apropos. Only is it NOT a the story of HRC. Clinton Cash should have copyrighted that title and used it.

Yogi has also been very polite about the Pay to Play Clinton Foundation that was “enriched”. Just read the list. over 60% of the “power brokers” that were granted a private meeting (perhaps an audience to Her Majesty, QB HRC) THEN donated at least $500K to Millions to the CF. Some of the foreign donations were funneled through a Canadian “entity”.

http://thefederalist.com/2015/04/29/is-the-clinton-foundation-just-an-international-money-laundering-scheme/

Some think that links here are MANDATORY READING….not so….if you want facts, then do your own research….or you can choose to read something that Bloomberg, WP and NYT reported…NOW….I guess they were just partisan.

There may or may NOT be consequences for HRC and her abuse of power to fatten the pockets of the Clinton’s. What they get for speeches is not illegal. Colin Powell and W and Bush 41…as well as Head Coaches get some handsome speaking fees.

However, when a political candidate is paid almost $750K for a short speech and explains she HAS to have TWO positions….one for the public and one for governing THEM.

IF all the CEO’s and Wall Street folks are EVIL and CORRUPT….then why (secret ballot today at the WSJ CEO Conference) did they reveal that 50% voted for HRC; 38% for DJT and 12% for Josh? HMMMMMMMM…

I hope one of Trump’s FIRST executive order or perhaps PARDON….is to get the folks that were recently convicted of “Security” crimes OUT….and then hosts them at a WH dinner….THAT would send more of a message….maybe even invite James Comey…

YogiNC
    Participant

Pak, show me? Really? Just take one look at the RIOTS. It ain’t protests, it’s RIOTS. Anarchy. CRIMINAL.

Smarter than the average bear

Rick
    Keymaster

shut down Planned Parenthood whichhelped set off an HIV outbreak

I am sure there is another side to this story but even if it is true how is it Pence’s fault people are screwing like cats in heat? Misplaced blame is a hallmark of the left.

ryebread
    Participant

Yogi: Respectfully, there has been a significant spike in hate crimes by certain people claiming allegiance and sympathy with his positions on certain wedge issues. That behavior is shameful and those doing so feel emboldened by the President elec’s past actions and campaign stumping. That’S not what will make America great again.

Obama’s election was a significant milestone for minorities in this country. They can truly tell their children that they can be anything. With it came a spark of xenophobia from groups that felt they were traditionally in power and were threatened.

The RNC, Tea Party and similar backers have been involved in stirring that pot since the day Obama was elected. There’s not much redeeming about that, particularly when it was at the heart of Trump’s election.

Picking certain people for staff positions with clear ties to this behavior doesn’t bode well for any sort of healing. For those of us hoping for the best, it instead looks like the vitriol spewed by those controlling NC for the past few years.

Frankly that’s not what I want for America. It is not what I want for my children. It is not what I want for the world. Like I said before, I’m hoping for the best but this isn’t a great start.

I suspect the first 100 days to include tax cuts for the rich, a highly conservative judge put on the Supreme Court bench, and an increase in defense spending. If so, that will like more of the same partisan politics to me….

tractor57
    Participant

As to “those controlling NC” they were placed in powder as a protest against the excesses of the previous ruling elite. Now the worm has turned a bit in the Gov race. If I could have brought down the state rep for my area I would have – but with the district voting 70% R it could not happen this election. The worm is turning … I’m just afraid it becomes “meet the new boss, same as the old boss” once again.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

OK… let’s start with some basics…

1. Mr. Trump is the President, nobody else…
    2. Mr. Trump has significant experience is building organizations and teams — enough successes and failures to understand the importance of “unity”. He also understands the importance of surrounding oneself with people smarter than oneself and the challenge of dealing with “strong personalities”.
    3. Mr. Trump feels some sense of loyalty / thankfulness to those who helped win the election.
    4. Mr. Trump’s passion for most issues pales somewhat in comparison to some of his associates.

Now… there appears to be three groups wrestling for power in the White House — extreme social conservatives, more moderate Republicans and the Trump family and their closest advisors.

For the most part, what goes on behind closed doors in the next couple of weeks needs to stay and will stay behind closed doors in the Trump Towers.

That said, they are all understand a 400x microscope and every step and mis-step will be exagerated in the media.

To the extent that the end result represents a broad enough group who can work together effectively won’t manifest itself for 6-12 months. The question then will be how much good or how much damage has been done with respect to public approval of the super majority of middle America.

For now, it might be best to just step back and give Mr. Trump the time and, more importantly, the room to be successful.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Adventuroo
    Participant

BotB has a good observation. The disarray in President Elect Trump’s transition team is the result of a Mike Pence purge.

Swamp was drained of Lobbyist. Giuliani will not be AG.. SOS is not a done deal.

Supposedly Fauxohantas Warren delivered ultimatum on W$W insiders. Threatened to throw tantrum.

Wonder if QBHRC would have done such.

PET is making good on a promise…. probably first of many.

All those upset need to focus on the anarchy and try to keep their reputation from being further tarnished.

YogiNC
    Participant

Rye, there have only been TWO (2) instances of violence from those considered to be on the right against anyone on the left and both of those were proven to be false reports by the police. There was one other incident that DID NOT include violence of any sort. An OFF DUTY policeman showed up at a public gathering with a confederate flag in the back of his truck. He resigned. If you have PROOF of any others I’d welcome it. As for my proof, just turn on the TV. When asked about “reported” incidents on 60 minutes Trump IMMEDIATELY denounced it by say “STOP IT”. It wasn’t until Obama was shamed by his lack of response to the RIOTS that he responded. And even then it was not a denouncement. As for Obama being a milestone the difficulty is he had opportunities to do great things, instead he denied any chance for consensus. If I’m in charge and you’re under me OR work in a different department just tell me how much cooperation I’m going to get from you if I flat out refuse to even listen to what you say. I could fill a book on Obama’s shortcomings as a president (others already have). To me his greatest failing is he did NOTHING for blacks in America and in lots of cases marginalized them by creating a greater divide in race relations. As one who grew up admiring Dr. King and everything he tried to accomplish I’m pretty sure his opinions of Obama would not have fared well.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

there have only been TWO (2) instances of violence from those considered to be on the right against anyone on the left and both of those were proven to be false reports by the police.

hmmm…

the key word here is ‘reported’ whatever that means…

Regardless, I’m more worried about what’s not “reported” at the middle and high school levels with respect to verbal and physical confrontations by some youth against some minorities….

Yes, I have first hand knowledge of such in Eastern NC….

Mr. Trump said the right thing to his people and their kids, but a lot of those folks must be hard of hearing….

ryebread
    Participant

Bill: Correct. There’s far more happening in this country than what is shown on TV. There are articles popping up everywhere, and social media is covered with instances of people reporting real behavior that is happening to them.

It’s either a massive left wing conspiracy, or it is happening. Occam’s razor time. It’s the latter — just like it’s reality that Trump won the election in our system. Trump’s got a tough road ahead of him given how he’s behaved over the past 4+ years (birther nonsense) as well as how he ran his campaign.

The bigger issue that I see with all of this is that for the second time in five elections a candidate won more popular votes but lost the Electoral College. With Gore/Bush, it was kind of understandable that might happen as it was a race that was so close it came down to a recount in Florida. It was understandable that maybe the popular vote wouldn’t come out to Bush. With this election, the popular vote went to one candidate and the Electoral College resoundingly went another way. According to the EC, this was a landslide (with one party pointing to a mandate). According to the popular vote, it was a loss.

Just as the Dems missed on the anti-establishment and anti-media feelings that fueled Trump’s election victory, I suspect the GOP is already forgetting they lost that popular vote. There’s no mandate. A middle ground must be charted.

I don’t currently live in NC but have called it home for 30+ years. My heart lies there. From the outside, the last 4 years have been an utter failure even if the balance sheet looks good. I don’t want the same for our country.

So yes, I’m going to sit back and watch and hope for the best. It doesn’t mean I’m not going to form an opinion based on what I see.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Just as the Dems missed on the anti-establishment and anti-media feelings that fueled Trump’s election victory, I suspect the GOP is already forgetting they lost that popular vote. There’s no mandate. A middle ground must be charted.

^THIS, please!

ryebread
    Participant

Bill: Agreed. I’ve been asking for this my entire adult life.

I would start my own party if I had the means to chart that middle ground. We may never win an election, but we’d be there fighting what is right for the vast majority of the middle class.

I don’t share much about myself in public forums. I do want to frame some things though so people know where I’m coming from:
    – Arguably a 1%er, but think it is in my best interest to ensure that the country works for everyone.
    – Hyper conservative on personal spending. I’ve been called “cheap” my entire life. Follow Buffet’s approach to personal finance.
    – Split family: 1/2 into banking/medicine. The other half into engineering/farming/military. I’m personally an engineer.
    – Raised very religious, but having studied religion feel it is very secular and divisive. I am not really of faith at this point, but believe in living by the Golden Rule.
    – Believe in personal freedoms as long as those don’t infringe on the beliefs and freedoms of others. Believe that safety and decency for the masses trump personal individual freedoms.
    – Have swung from State’s rights to Federalist
    – The children are our future. I will pass the baton and there needs to be an educated workforce that is socially and globally aware there to receive it.
    – The US “hasn’t missed a war” in 200 years. I don’t see a lot of good coming out of most of these. War should be avoided at all costs.
    – Pro-choice, and don’t understand pro-lifers who want to do nothing to help a child once they are born.
    – Huge believer in adoption. Any properly vetted people with the right resources and commitment should be able to adopt children. Many times adopted children are treated better than what their biological parents could provide.
    – Huge believer in equal pay for equal work, and equal protection under the law regardless of race, sex or sexual orientation.
    – Believe that any two people should be able to be married and have those protections under the law. If they’re dumb enough want to enter that arrangement, I say all for it.
    – Think the national debt is the biggest issue that the United States has.

Makes me a hard one to profile as a voter. It also makes it hard for me to fully back any candidate.

YogiNC
    Participant

I personally don’t see an utter failure in NC over the last 4 years, gov pat REVERSED the trend of declining teacher pay (first year not included) that the Dems had done for 8+ years. There is a surplus in the budget. The fits over HB2 have been discussed but there are plenty of other states that have laws almost exactly like HB2. The Dems knew the battleground that NC was going to be and made it an issue. Utter failure, nope. Give me one REAL example of failure, and NOT HB2. If you want failure examples of Roy Cooper I can give you many, including NOT doing his job. He took an oath of office, he did not live up to the oath.

YogiNC
    Participant

Believe that safety and decency for the masses trump personal individual freedoms.

That’s interesting. The whole reason for HB2 was specifically to provide that to the greatest majority of women in our state.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

My view from the cheap seats is that the divide is widening and it’s widening because of spite. Each side has dug their heels in and refuses to compromise. Hell they don’t even listen to the other side let alone absorb the information to form an opinion. The message from the other side is summarily dismissed solely on the basis of the origin of the information.

My hope all along has been that Trump’s campaign talk was just rhetoric, and when/if he won, he would take it down several notches and surround himself with good folks who know what they’re doing. The PR hire makes me feel like the beginnings of my hope being squashed.

Eight years ago, people on the right thought this was the beginning of the end of modern civilization. Now people on the left are having the same reaction. Personally, my life has gotten progressively better as I’ve aged, but I know damn well it’s not because of which party occupies the White House.

ryebread
    Participant

Yogi: That’s fine. You see what you see based on your experience. You live there. Maybe things are better for you and your kin. If so, it’s been a great 4 year run.

I don’t live there. NC’s made a steady series of decisions at the State level about what to fund and what not to fund that I do not think are good things. They make me shake my head and be ashamed to say I hang my heart in NC. This was long before HB2.

If you want an example of utter failure, it was cutting programs to help the mentally ill and addicted. That only drove the cost of those services up for those that could actually get them while reducing those that could get them.

You seem to want to go to HB2. My thoughts are that it is easily solved by single, unisex bathrooms with locking doors. I see these all over the globe. A sign on a door isn’t going to make anyone more or less safe. If someone wants to do something bad to cause harm, they will do it.

It was clear the actual law itself, and the way it was passed was going to have significant financial ramifications for the state. If the GOP didn’t understand that, they’re not nearly as pro-business as they make themselves out to be. I’ve seen some outrage over this posted by some on this forum, but it was predictable as the sun. HB2 WASN’T good for the masses and predictably wasn’t so, and that is my whole point. That is the responsibility of the government and from this outsider’s position the leaders of NC failed.

Daniel: I would agree. My trajectory has been steadily upward. I’m sure it is in large part due to the many advantages that I’ve had since birth — genes, education, parental efforts, safe environments, travel, exposure to the larger world and technology. I care about these discussions because I care about the world my children will live in. I want the overall trajectory of the American people to be upward across the board, and I want those advantages available to as many as possible.

freshmanin83
    Participant

“They can ride with us if they want, but they got to get in the back seat. Because we want to go forward. We don’t want the special interests riding shotgun.”

YogiNC
    Participant

I do take exception that HB2 wasn’t good for the masses. As I’ve stated before 81% of females with female children/grandchildren fully supported it. Overall over 60% of women over 18 supported it and 75% over 30 supported it. That’s a lot of mass. I have the data. As a whole 68% of both men and women supported it in spite of whether or not it would impact businesses or money coming into the state.

A women’s sense of safety is far and away their #1 priority in life. Men rarely understand this, and that’s a fact. I’m reading a great book called Tender Warrior by Stu Weber as part of a men’s group I’m in. At 62 I’m learning some things about my wife that has really answered some deep seeded questions about how she thinks. Some of it has been astounding. For those of you who are married get your wife to list the 5 most important things she needs in her life. I’d be willing to bet a cool grand that the #1 common thread between all of them is safety and security. The law that Charlotte passed that triggered HB2 threatened that for a large number of women, and as a result of what they thought of it drove the opinions of some, but not all, of their hubbies.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Now… there appears to be three groups wrestling for power in the White House — extreme social conservatives, more moderate Republicans and the Trump family and their closest advisors.

You should add white nationalists explicitly to that group although they may be covered by, ‘Trump family and their closest advisors.’

Adventuroo
    Participant

Rye,
    Perhaps you need to study some NC history. There were TWO laws passed by the NCGA (Dem Controlled). One granted NC Retirees a State Tax Exemption. The other granted NC Tax Payers an exemption in the Intangibles Tax for NC Corporations. Based on your profile, I assume that you are familiar with the NC Intangibles tax or perhaps a past CPA was and can verify.

BOTH laws were considered as dsicriminatory. I THINK that the AG’s office actually did the due diligence. BUT, the NCGA and the NC Gov (Dems) passed them. As NC became more diversified….retires with resources such as yours objected to paying tax on a SC Utility and NOT Duke (now don’t try to connect Duke and McCrory…McCrory was in diapers then).

Federal Retirees (including Military) objected to the income exemption. Lawyers united…Class Action suits. GUESS who was the AG that fought (and LOST) BOTH? Good ole Mikey…as in Easley. His staff advised to “change the laws and litigate to control the settlement costs”. That meant that if you settled, there was a limited number of years where the state had to refund money collected illegally. NOPE. He spent literally MILLION of taxpayer dollars to High Profile Law Firms….Firms that contributed to his campaign and had Lobbyist “of counsel” on their letter heads. LOST….and then the judges ruled and threw the book at NC. The state had to cough up $$ in the BILLIONS. That was BEFORE he was the Gov.

As Gov, he and a certain indicted, convicted and sentenced House Speaker, ran rough shod over the state. However, the economy was NOT nice to him. BUT, he did OK personally as he was given sweetheart (Bribery in some OTHER states) deals on land. His wife was paid an ungodly amount as a NCSU “adjunct” Professor. Skipper Boyles FIRED HER….and that is how SLEAZY they were.

He also spent MILLIONS on No Bid Contracts for everything from Tampons to Computer Programs. ONE of them was the Unemployment System. Bev did not fare well. She let the Unemployment department totally pay out TWO BILLION in undocumented (sometimes FRAUD) benefits. Even Jim Goodmon of WRAL Fame turned his dogs loose on that. SO, between paying back (with interest) illegally collected tax revenues and continued malfeasance, the Republicans inherited a financial crisis never seen before

They COULD NOT fund raises….they had to pay BACK $2 BILLION to the Feds. Teachers and infrastructure suffered. Folwell, who was put in charge of the Unemployment Commission by McCrory fixed it. The voters overwhelmingly elected him State Treasurer….something about a $35 BILLION Underfunding of the NC Retiree’s Trust Fund….Again, a decision by Mike Easley…

RYE….the above is fact….perhaps not living in NC, you are not aware of the “Devil” that lives in the Democratic Controlled Political Details.

I personally responded to your post about your profile. We could be TWINS with different parents. IT got ATE. I am virtually IDENTICAL to your profile….save I did not have family resoruces to achieve your 1% status…

I ticked off each point. I added a few that demonstrate often being called a “radical” environmentalist and also a worker’s safety crusader….and that was from my own company. BUT, they complied with the regulations. I was able to improve the division’s environmental and safety record and make it the top division in the corporation. I eliminated several hundred thousand tons of Haz Waste going to EPA Approved Landfills….$$ in the bank. I reduced emissions by a few million tons. I cut the LTA rate by 80% and reduced the severity of the injuries to our workers. Workman Comp costs were cut….$$ in the bank.

Did I leave out that I also did this on 4 continents as I had 20 plants and half were international? I got a Tribute from a Mexican plant and had the workers crying as I told them how proud I was of them….I related a story where I was on the way to the birth of my first GS and was delayed beacuse a worker was severely injured. She was there as I told them how the Plant Manager and I decided….ENOUGH was ENOUGH. We resisted the storm troopers from Corporate and fixed it. That was at a 5 million Manhour NO LOST TIME ACCIDENT celebration.

When I wrote a Capital Appropriation request for a process change or new equipment, I also made changes to the process and reduced costs by eliminating certain chemicals. Same for Safety. I NEVER once typed…”if….we will go to jail…” in the justification.

EOR

SqlWolf
    Participant

shut down Planned Parenthood which helped set off an HIV outbreak

I am sure there is another side to this story but even if it is true how is it Pence’s fault people are screwing like cats in heat? Misplaced blame is a hallmark of the left.

Rick, there is another side to this story. You and perhaps many other folks assume that HIV is primarily a sexually transmitted disease (thus it’s the fault of all those sinners screwing in Indiana.) When Gov. Pence and the state legislature reduced Indiana’s health care expenditures, they effectively shut down Planned Parenthood’s operations in Scott county. Yay for the conservatives. Unfortunately, there was an unintended consequence to this socially conservative victory. Planned Parenthood was the only provider of HIV testing in all of a particular Indiana county (Scott Co.) This resulted in a public health blackout regarding the recognition of the spread of drug use related HIV and of course sexually transmitted HIV. That lack of available testing and consequently no data, resulted in an explosion of costs in the acute care of HIV cases in that county and across the state of Indian as other care facilities became involved in the care of the growing HIV infected population. That created skyrocketing healthcare costs for the state. All that was in the name of social and fiscal conservativism. Sometimes little victories lead to great losses.

pakfanistan
    Participant

You’re so much more eloquent than I am. Hopefully you get a more thoughtful response than, “…how is it Pence’s fault people are dope fiends?’

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

extreme social conservatives == …ists of all colors

Adventuroo
    Participant

ONE comment….

Despite the often “intense” comments (mine excluded of course), this thread has been informative. Most of the comments seem to be documented and also present opposing views….and sometimes “the rest of the story”.

I may not agree with everyone….but am proud that we WP’ers seem to have the intelligence to “READ and THINK” and not follow some Prof’s agenda….

THAT was a COMPLIMENT….I also have a better understanding of where folks are coming from…and I respect that….and hope that they, rhetorically, feel the same way as I do.

NOW, let the debating begin again…but I take pride in this open discussion. I have NOT arranged for Special Ops in Black Surburban’s to raid your ISP and then eliminate your family. I am often as compassionate as Raymond Reddington can be….

TIME OUT OVER….put away the WHITE FLAG….let the posting continue….

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 511 total)
  • The topic ‘NC Political Predictions’ is closed to new replies.