NC Political Predictions

Home Forums StateFans Non Sports Talk NC Political Predictions

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 511 total)
  • Author
    YogiNC
    Participant

There is no such thing as anecdotal data. An anecdote by itself can be a total outlier, and the plural of that would be an anomaly. Franklin’s statement isn’t about helping yourself BUT resembles what was called in the 90s workfare. Pushing those on welfare to become self sufficient while giving them support as they transitioned.
    the crux of the quote is “not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it”. The “great society” has not been great in the least. It has done nothing to overcome poverty and in some instances has created greater poverty. It has also created single parent families by the score. It also has done nothing to lead or drive those in poverty out of it.

Smarter than the average bear

rthomas44
    Participant

As one who was chairman of the local board of health for eight years, I saw where the money went. It was used to aid CHILDREN, the future of society and this country. You can say what you want, but I know what I am talking about. The “poor” indeed. Your Bible is what you need to read.

YogiNC
    Participant

I read it every day. In Franklin’s defense I have no doubt he was NOT referring to widows and children but to those who would “play” the system by milking it for all it’s worth. And yes, I have no problems with head start and free school lunches and health services. I volunteer and contribute to a food pantry that my church is a ministry partner with. I see those in need all the time, but by the same token some are the result of parents who do nothing to get out of poverty because it is easier to get freebies. Parents who will take their last 5 dollar bill and buy a lottery ticket, or booze, or a hit. Part of what my grandfather taught me was “protect the innocent”. While my comments may seem like I am an uncaring dolt not one thing you’ve read from me in any way minimizes the necessity to protect innocents.

freshmanin83
    Participant

II Thess. 3:6-12 – 6 Now we command you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you keep away from any brother who is walking in idleness and not in accord with the teaching that you received from us. 7 For you yourselves know how you ought to imitate us, because we were not idle when we were with you, 8 nor did we eat anyone’s bread without paying for it, but with toil and labor we worked night and day, that we might not be a burden to any of you. 9 It was not because we do not have that right, but to give you in ourselves an example to imitate. 10 For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat. 11 For we hear that some among you walk in idleness, not busy at work, but busybodies. 12 Now such persons we command and encourage in the Lord Jesus Christ to do their work quietly and to earn their own living.

I Tim. 5:7-8 – 7 Command these things as well, so that they may be without reproach. 8 But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

Eph. 4:28 – 28 Let the thief no longer steal, but rather let him labor, doing honest work with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with anyone in need.

Prov. 14:31 – Whoever oppresses a poor man insults his Maker, but he who is generous to the needy honors Him.

Matt. 19:21 – 21 Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”

Gal. 2:10 – 10 Only, they asked us to remember the poor, the very thing I was eager to do.

James 2: 14-16 – 14 What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that?

Here is a sampling of some verses that might be applicable.

I think a good thing to do is to put all of these verses (and others like them) together to get a fully orbed view as one of my professors used to tell me. One thing that might be good to note is that most of these verses were written to believers and followers of God and the Lord Jesus, Christ. They seem to be intended for one person to another or a church to a community.

Without going into all the verses (Exodus, Leviticus, Deuteronomy) God did set some national policies for His dealings with Israel as a nation about the poor. They poor were not to be taken advantage of. They were to help the poor if they choose to lend money without interest, leaving some crops in the field so that the poor and needy could get them, they were to be helped with an open hand. There also seemed to be some limits set on debt collection so if some people lent to much then they might be out of luck collecting. Just some thoughts in general. There may be a few other things but it would take more remembering and studying then what I want to do right now.

TheCOWDOG

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else;

You are the one who gets burned.

– Buddah

pakfanistan
    Participant

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else;

You are the one who gets burned.

– Buddah

Funny, a buddy quoted that in my circle within the last week. Definitely a noble sentiment.

Counterpoint, “Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.”

TheCOWDOG

Hopefully, we are beyond that, Paki, but we aren’t.

More governance not found in the bible:

1) be liberal and avoid selfishness,
    2) maintain a high moral character,
    3) be prepared to sacrifice one’s own pleasure for the well-being of the subjects,
    4) be honest and maintain absolute integrity,
    5) be kind and gentle,
    6) lead a simple life for the subjects to emulate,
    7) be free from hatred of any kind,
    8) exercise non-violence,
    9) practise patience, and
    10) respect public opinion to promote peace and harmony

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

If ya’ll really want to play Scripture games…

“The poor will always be among you/us”.

So… do what you can do for those you meet on the road…
    Saving the world is not our job regardless of our human aspirations and arrogance.

Parable of the Good Samaritan trumps all.

—————–

Then there was this old guy who asked this question….

When are we gonna stop having Bible Study and start having Bible Doing?

—————–

“Let he who hath no sin cast the first stone.”

The Word of God for the People of God.
    Amen.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    pakfanistan
    Participant

If we’re playing pick your verse I choose Ezekiel 23:20

YogiNC
    Participant

Pak, sorry but that’s not close to anything we’re talking about. Some would consider it perverse.

TheCOWDOG

Bible doesn’t trump sh#t. If it did, y’all would have elected a priest by now. Why are people pulling God into this is beyond my scope.

It’s us. It’s how you look at your neighbor. God don’t play favorites. We do.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Chop….THANKS for calling me out on my historical error. I guess I was too influenced by the Character Assassination of Clarence Thomas by some of the most immoral and despicable “CLAN” in modern day politics. I guess that I OD’ed too much on the hearing and my disgust for the manner and method of Teddy fried a few brain cells. I was probably aware that he was NOT the first. LBJ nominated Marshall and it was HIGH time. Pity that NO ONCE since LBJ, save Bush 41, would nominate an AfroAmerican

As to the discussion about where the money goes….again, I draw from personal experience….

I retired in 2006, early by several years due to attaining financial independence (Like Rye….but I had to do it the hard way…save and invest). I did that to open Grand Daddy Day Care for a 3 YO GS and a 3 MO GD. My wife was still working, so I was a ONE MAN show. She left for work and said….if you can’t handle it…call me…and in 4 years, I made ONE phone call…..to which she said….I can’t help you….she’ll eventually cry herself to sleep and hung up.

Back THEN, you had to make an appointment at your local SS office. You had to do it 3 months in advance and bring all your documents to the office. I elected to start receiving benefits at age 62. I traveled to north Raleigh to the SS office. You went through Metal Detectors. There were armed (Stun, 9mm and batons) guards. The meeting area was a low of bullet proof glass cubicles. Think of the PNC outside Will Call area. Maybe 20 or so “areas”. You were assigned a number. You went to the glass partition and eventually the case worker appeared. I really DO not remember her race. She spoke so softly that I could barely hear. You were to slide, under the glass, your paperwork and she slid documents back to you. Think of paying for fuel at an all night gas station…

Why could I NOT hear? The din from the waiting area was too much. NOW, you would ask, why would a bunch of old gas bags make so much noise? Interesting observation….I was in the MINORITY….as far as age goes. Individuals of retirement or beyond represented less than 15% of the population. Remember, I had to wait for a while and I counted…the OLD IE and Process Engineer wanted to verify my estimate.

SO, who was there? Why was there so much noise? Young people….some with boom boxes (this is before your phone held your tunes). Young people with KIDS. Most of the kids were under 3 YO. There were some individuals with obvious physical issues…but they were only like 5% of the crowd. The rest was a mix mash of individuals…about 50% as a “couple” and the rest were singles. More than 75% of so had at least ONE small child in tow. The majority of them had 2 or more. It was a total blend of races. I recall that AfroAmerican was predominant….and maybe the rest were White….and maybe 10 – 15% were Hispanic or “other”. Many were mixtures in themselves and hard to call.

SO, the BULK of the folks doing business with SS on that June day were NOT of retirement age. The bulk were individuals with dependent children. The bulk looked like they were not gainfully employeed….and I frequent a lot of places that have a mixture of workers and this crew was very motley.

Am I an IST? Probably so. I paid the max every year for at least 35 years of so. I fully understand needs of children who’s parents are on LTD….I helped my God Daughter get SS for dependent children when her husband snapped and took her hostage with a butcher knife and was later hospitalized for extreme psychic issues….I also understand folks that have children with special needs (mental and physical). I did not really observe any child in the room that fit the physical side….maybe there were emotional issues.

SO, that little incident and a LOT of data has cemented my mind about HOW we are funding a “GIVE IT TO ME…” Society.

EOR, Suck it UP, Buttercup…

freshmanin83
    Participant

What is this about scripture games. A person said that a Bible should be read. So it was and shred. What is this about pick your verse a wide selection of verses was given about a specific idea. It was not presented as this is the way to solve this problem. It was just shared because someone suggested reading it.

I find it interesting that the religious leader Buddah sayings were shared and no one got upset about it. Share a few Bible verses and what is the proper term of the response? Seems Budah quote needed to be applied to the quoter.

No one said anything about the Bible trumping anything. Why make stuff up?

Adventuroo
    Participant

I see a marketing opportunity here…..anyone interested in my new Bumper Sticker…

John 3:16a.1
    For God so loved America that he gave us Trump

NOW, that may be a little off the course….but I have received emails stating that many folks consider Trump as the second coming of Christ….the email starts out

Trump is our rowboat…

A deeply faithful Christian man is stuck on roof at home with massive
    flooding up to the 2nd floor. Rowboat comes. He says “No, I’m waiting for
    God. I prayed and I know he’s coming.” 2nd Rowboat. “No, I’m waiting for
    God.” 3rd Rowboat. “No, I’m waiting for God.”
    Water rises. The man drowns. Now he’s meeting God in heaven. The religious
    man says, “Where were you God? I prayed. I was faithful. I asked you to save
    me. Why would you abandon me?”
    God says, “Hey, I sent you 3 rowboats.”
    Did you ever consider Trump is our rowboat?

It goes on to say that we should be thankful for Trump….compared to HRC.

BUT, I got an email from another Christian Friend that told me what a Christian person that HRC was and how she and Bill faithfully attended church and were “Sunday School Teachers”. Then it berated Trump for Locker Room talk.

I will leave the Religious demographics up to Yogi. I read my own minister’s sermon notes after the election and decided not to go this past Sunday….it was Contemporary, so the choir was not singing and I was not letting my “team” down. He seemed to be hurting….I suspect the went to some of the Duke counseling sessions….

Leave GOD out of this….judge on the character of the candidates. Each had such “endearing qualities” that one needed a DeCon station after voting…

pakfanistan
    Participant

freshmanin83
    Participant

That was funny Paki thanks.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Yogi,

This post is for you. You probably saw it, but if you did not, it pretty well sums up MY feelings. I wish I had written it….

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/11/15/im-the-trump-supporter-pollsters-missed/

If anyone else is interested….read it…..it was to me, quite insightful….and I have distributed it to many folks celebrating and quite a few that are headed for a AAA meeting due to that “unfortunate” event of 11/8

Sometimes you realize that there ARE others like you out there….

Trivia question….I said I was a 1% (or close)….I found out from reading the Washington Post that I am also a Second Amendment 3%’er….I guess that would not surprise many…

EOR….Suck it UP, Buttercup….The Ritz is waiting….

Greywolf
    Participant

Bill faithfully attended church

Bill would go out Saturday night and sow wild oats then go to church on Sunday morning and pray for a crop failure…

YogiNC
    Participant

Roo, thanks so much for that. I had missed it because I feel the WP and the NYT are both better used as fish wrap.

I would never dare to hold myself up as the pious christian that others should model their life after HOWEVER… Christians are called to discern if others, especially our leaders, are guiding us with christian/Godly wisdom. From my personal perspective I am pro life, but I do not pretend it is my responsibility to choose for others. I made the mistake of choosing to do that long long ago when my christian walk was NOT where it was supposed to be. I’ve made some whopper mistakes in my life but that one is at the top of my list.

All that being said when HRC said that she felt abortions should be legal up until the time of birth my soul screamed NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Personally I can’t see how anyone who values human life could agree with that, or condone it in any way. First trimester withstanding, that to me is on the same plateau as sacrificing children to some unknown god. Certainly that is not the God I follow, at least not the one I know in my heart as Abba.

McCallum
    Participant

I’m going to have some coffee.

McCallum

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Good morning gents!

Adventuroo wrote:

Bill faithfully attended church

Bill would go out Saturday night and sow wild oats then go to church on Sunday morning and pray for a crop failure…

^Not the only one…
    How much bigger “sinner” would Bill have been if this was not the case?

Christians are called to discern if others, especially our leaders, are guiding us with christian/Godly wisdom.

By whom?

God don’t play favorites. We do.

^Rarely heard from any pulpit — nevertheless, 99% true, imo…

—————————-

Biblical literacy is NOT a prerequisite to salvation.

Personal Theology and Doctrine are NOT the same things.

Everybody’s personal theology is unique to the that individual and changes over time.

——————————

Ya’ll all have a blessed day!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    YogiNC
    Participant

By whom?

By Gods word, especially the teachings of Jesus and Paul. My sense of right and wrong comes from the word of God first, then the laws of man (which is also Biblical). Tiptoe through Proverbs for instance. I can give tons of examples in verse through out the Bible. If you listen to anyone speak about anything or witness their actions and you are a Christian then you are making decisions/discernments as you listen/watch as to whether what they are saying/doing is Godly/in accordance with His word. That is part and parcel of being a Christian. Sometimes you have to call them out on what they are doing. Prime example was the Westboro Baptist Church, A deranged leader who high-jacked the word and inflicted pain on families of fallen soldiers. 100% WRONG and NOTHING Biblical about it.

YogiNC
    Participant

1) be liberal and avoid selfishness,
    2) maintain a high moral character,
    3) be prepared to sacrifice one’s own pleasure for the well-being of the subjects,
    4) be honest and maintain absolute integrity,
    5) be kind and gentle,
    6) lead a simple life for the subjects to emulate,
    7) be free from hatred of any kind,
    8) exercise non-violence,
    9) practice patience, and
    10) respect public opinion to promote peace and harmony

Not to be contrary CD but I can find many teachings for every one of those in the Bible. To be specific each one of those are covered in what is termed as fruits of the spirit.

McCallum
    Participant

You boys have yet to realize the basic Rousseauian nature of the other side.

I doubt they realize the basis for their positions.

Back to the coffee.

McCallum

rthomas44
    Participant

The word hypocrisy comes to mind.

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 511 total)
  • The topic ‘NC Political Predictions’ is closed to new replies.