NC Political Predictions

Home Forums StateFans Non Sports Talk NC Political Predictions

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 511 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^Priesthood of all believers…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

This fits into the conversation earlier in the week….

Thanksgiving Cancelled — New York Times

McCallum
    Participant

The word hypocrisy comes to mind.

In what manner?

I’m pointing to the historical and structural underpinnings of a society and culture.

McCallum

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I don’t have much effort for debating either of two positions:
    – Those that don’t have any sympathy for the less fortunate, especially children.
    – Those that think the current welfare system is affordable or is doing anything to eliminate poverty.

A system that rewards a family without a husband/father or for having more children, will certainly get both.

pakfanistan
    Participant

– Those that think the current welfare system is affordable or is doing anything to eliminate poverty.

What’s your cheaper solution that works?

SqlWolf
    Participant

Sometimes I think the approach to caring for our less fortunate brothers and sisters is based on a zero sum game or calculus where one person’s wealth or fortune is enhanced at the cost to another. As I grew up, I had questions about how some of my “Republican” friends saw the poor as leeches on society, the druggies as a drain and cancer on our society, and that the indigent are too expensive a burden on our healthcare system. Perhaps if we turned the perspective over (or inside out) and looked at the cost of not caring for our fellow citizens. A good analogue to such a perspective can be exemplified by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita striking New Orleans. A set of berms, levees and other flood management systems were put in place many years earlier by the Army Corps of Engineers. As time passed, local and federal government failed to maintain these systems to keep them updated and functioning to the needs of the citizenry in case of emergency. “We” failed to care for our citizens and protect their lives/property by spending a relatively minor amount of money distributed over the years. That money was not apportioned and the work to maintain the systems was either forgotten or derided as a waste of good money. We all can remember that the flooding from breaks in the levees generated a much larger set of expenses in rescue, cleanup, and recovery which we are still paying in some way nowadays. Some parts of the NOLA community are still not fully recovered. I see our society’s choices to ignore or redirect appropriate care of our citizens as a similar loss of opportunity to reduce costs down the road. When a person or child is confronted with an unsafe or perilous environment, they are at risk for injury. When a child is confronted with a drug ridden environment because her parents are so poor they cannot afford to move out even while working several jobs to feed the family, she is at risk for becoming a drug user or victim of one. When a mentally ill person is too sick to recognize their own illness and is unable to seek help or too poor to afford such help, they are at risk to become a victim of violence, crime, or they themselves become violent and perhaps act in criminal ways. I recognize that some people see these scenarios as the product of choices these people made. I challenge that idea. Children do not pick their parents and the circumstances into which they are born. Mental illness strikes all people in all strata of society. Good, upstanding people can become addicted to drugs as a result of poor medication management by their care giver. We’ve heard of celebrities becoming addicted to painkillers. That happens far too often to people who are not celebrities. As with maintaining systems to protect our life and property like those levees in NOLA, I think we ought to consider the protections we can build for our society as a rational and cost-effective way of reducing our risk to higher costs down the road. I prefer to keep my money and manage it for myself and family. However, I also recognize that investing a little in ourselves and our fellow citizens can lead to greater wealth for all of us. Some of it realized as actual income while the rest of it realized as averted expenses. Had we spent a little bit on better berms and levees, we would not have had to spend as much on catastrophic rescues and recovery. I prefer to see healthcare and other forms of care in our society for the destitute and ill as an investment to avert greater costs.

I see Rick’s point of view as coming from someone who fits the mold of fiscal conservative. I do not assume I know any more than what he writes. I hope that the points I make can be appreciated from such a perspective as his.

I hope some of us can expand our understanding with conversations such as what we have been sharing here.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^school $$ v. law enforcement/prison $$ ???

Conceptually makes simple sense…
    but… the devils’ are in the details…

After several years/decades of this kind of thinking…
    To be honest, I think what I see, unfortunately, it more of both $$.

In which case, causes some uncertainty is the fundamental argument or in those implementing / managing schools and law enforcement/prisons.

Adventuroo
    Participant

I am now able to release the data from my extensive research. Most rely on polling and surveys. BUT, you have to review the full voter’s environment to understand it. It is the “Ripper” Syndrome.

Simply put and condensed for those that might inadvertently scroll past it….Brigadier General Jack D. Ripper was correct in his original theorem. It IS the water. Fortunately I have my own well, so my Crown on the Rocks is NOT impacted. I will offer two cases…one from afar and the other local.

First the Theory….that along with Fluoride, the mayors of many US towns and cities have secretly been authorizing the injection of a potent BLUE Cool Aid into the drinking water system. That explains the deviate voting behavior of the inner city voters. Many of the recent polls and articles (NYT “map of Trump voters”) show that the inner city residents are being controlled and the water supply is the most cost effective methodology. It also allows for repudiation of certain locales if the residents do NOT comply. Flint Michigan was a test case or experiment….where lead was actually used to “dull the senses” of the voters and make them easier to control. Unfortunately, that experiment received widespread publicity and the experiment was stopped.

The FDA actually allowed low levels of lead in the recently released Ritz Snowflake Crackers….the snack of choice for the Temper Tantrum set….that ensures further compliance with the DNC’s wishes.

Locally, after extensive research of the Cary water system maps and overlaying the Wake County precinct voting results, I have determined that 99.157% voters in the BLUE Precincts are on a “municipal” system. TO wit, I examined the precincts near the intersection of Tryon Road and Walnut Street. Those residents on the South side Precinct (18-04) voted overwhelmingly RED….the adjoining precinct and the ones adjacent were all BLUE.

However, for the doubters, I will offer a TRUE (VERY UNFORTUNATELY….it IS TRUE example). Had to grab a quick lunch between Dr’s appointments today. Wendy’s on Kildaire Farm Road (adjacent to a Trader Joe’s) was DW’s choice. We were muddling over the screens and making our meal selection when I glanced at the HDTV in the dining area. CNN…WHAT, I gasped? So, the Sr. Citizen (older than Moi) took my order and asked for a last name. TRUMP, I quipped. Talk about a floater in the Organic Fruit Juice Punch Bowl….

Seeing the shock on her face, I could not resist…..”Could you please change the channel to FOX as we would enjoy our meal more?” I also pointed out that NO ONE was watching the TV. She laughed and finally got the JOKE. She said….”RIGHT….and the Manager WILL do more than FIRE ME….he will KILL ME…”.

I have two other datum points to verify or establish a 1:1 correlation (or 99% confidence limit). The Rex Health Care (UNC owns it) Wellness Center down the street has the CNN TV “LOCKED” to CNN. You can change the rest of them….NOT THIS ONE.

I also have a very dear friend, that still invites us over, that lives within half a mile of the Cary Wendy’s. HIS water source is the Town of Cary…He is STILL stammering and stuttering….especially after his Scotch and Water. Need I say more?

Thus you have it…

Trivia for those that know what the Ripper Theory was and where it came from….what historical event changed the location of Major King Kong’s line… Shoot, a fella’ could have a pretty good weekend in …..”?

Suck it up, Buttercup….

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

B’rer ‘Roo, et al….

I’m thinking your general theory of stupidity and water might be well established….

Google Chloramine

YogiNC
    Participant

Roo, you can certainly spin a tale. You and I ought to do a morning show. We could get our own channel on the net and then pick up a few local stations and WHAM. It could be the anti Dave Glenn Show with some low brow politico stuff thrown in. Shoot, we could even have some guests of lesser fame. I had thought of another line to go with this about inviting guests from the other spectrum but I’m not sure I could deal with that first thing in the AM. I already have two formal reprimands from the FCC we could hang on the studio wall. Whatcha say?

Smarter than the average bear

McCallum
    Participant

“Wendy’s on Kildare Farm Rd”

The destruction of much gut flora.

McCallum

Gowolves
    Participant

I think God is in over his head on this one. Just sayin.

choppack1
    Participant

There had been the executive order / regulation discussion earlier.

According to this, Obama takes the cake…by a large margin:

https://cei.org/blog/obamas-2016-federal-register-just-topped-highest-page-count-all-time

And this is the problem I have with progressives they specialize in growing the reach and power of government.

Gowolves
    Participant

There had been the executive order / regulation discussion earlier.

According to this, Obama takes the cake…by a large margin:

https://cei.org/blog/obamas-2016-federal-register-just-topped-highest-page-count-all-time

And this is the problem I have with progressives they specialize in growing the reach and power of government.

Did you yourself or did contact someone about these rules that he or any other president presented or signed off on? I mean if I am correct these proposed regulations or rule changes/proposals are available for feed back from the public. Please correct me if that’s not right.

Gowolves
    Participant

If any of you want to read the economy under the Trump administration read about dynamic econimics. The most simplistic view of it is that the budget is based on large revenue decreases and continued or reduced spending but not reduced enough to agree with the tax cuts. The justification is how the current administration will view future administrations and the assumption that they will somehow counterbalance the deficit spending in the current budget proposal. It based strictly base on assumptions and guesses.

We have seen this before, it’s called trickle down econimics. Didn’t work the first time.

Adventuroo
    Participant

GAWolves,

Yes, there is a public comment period on all major rules (OSHA, DOT, EPA, etc.). And for every individual that makes a comment, there is typically a paid lobby that produces works that are 1000 (OK, maybe 500) X the one. There are also “ways” to control the process. I have done this before, so I’ll try to make it brief.

Mel Watts was appointed Sec of Interior by Regan. That infuriated the radical Environmentalists. These are the same breed of cats as the Temper Tantrum Throwers of today. Also, very well funded….as their backers have a mission….get them aroused about the EVIL Repubs over an issue that is near and dear to them…and then when you need them for ANY issue, they are willing to come out in droves….regardless of the issue or if they understand it. There will ALWAYS be a way to link “Dirty” with it.

The Original Clean Air Act was passed in the late 70’s (memory). It had to be reauthorized. So, it came up in 1990….with the deck stacked. The 1990 Clean Air Act (90CAA) was passed by congress….and there were objections….but THIS TIME, the public comment section was neutralized.

Congress ordinarily passes a “law”, not a regulation. It is up to the Agency to promulgate Regulations. The Agency tries to interpret the intent of the Congressional Law and then write them in accordance. THAT is why there is a public comment section, so any inequities (either way….too lenient or too overbearing, can be addressed.

NOT SO with the 90CAA. Congress passed the First of its Kind. The Environmental Lobby actually WROTE Regulations….in that they put in emission parameters, definitions, measurement and testing methods, and TIMETABLES. They also put in a HAMMER. IF the Director – EPA, did NOT produce regulations within a timely manner OR if the Timetables for Implementation were NOT achieved or IF the Agency changed a value or emission standard….then the EPA Director was to be held in contempt of Congress and subject to legal (punative) Action….up to and including fines and jail.

One WOULD have thought that since this was a “ReAuthorization” that the EPA would have been contacted for input. NOPE…totally left out. Again, when tax laws are passed, the IRS writes the REGS…NOT SO.

Bottom line, I attended many seminars taught by renowned Consultants and also EPA personnel as well as some Reps from DuPont….who was the MAIN target (they were the largest producer of Freon). When you listened and also read between the lines or talked at breaks or maybe in the bar, that was what came out. Now, not unusual….the experts that actually have knowledge of costs and emissions and technology and such all, independently, concluded that the Environmental Lobby was targeting. They wanted to drive up Energy Prices. They wanted power plants shut down. They wanted Zero Emissions from every factory or manufacturing process….

Should also point out for those not acquainted with cleaning. Freon and its cousin, TriChloroEthane (elene) were also the PRIMARY cleaning chemicals for about any part that was painted, plated, coated, chemically coated, etc. Feon was also a blowing agent and used in many rubber and foam manufacturing operations. Remember the fuel tanks from the Space Shuttle that would damage the Heat Shield tiles….Those large chunks of foam that came off were NOT a problem when Freon was the “standard” blowing agent.

Freon was being DUMPED when you recharged an AC. Technology developed in the 60’s could have been used to recycle 90 – 95% of it. NOPE….NOW you can’t do anything….if you “Failed to Maintain” an AC unit and it failed and released Freon, you COULD be subject to fines. Bottom line….we could have achieved about 90 – 95% of the standards (as written….just backing off a smidge) with about 10 – 15% of the expense.

There are hidden costs. Remember when Brake Fluid never had to be changed. The 90CAA eliminated some stabilizers. Remember when plastics and rubber (windshield wiper blades) would last for years. Again formulation changes due to the elimination of key chemicals.

Then, we had to totally redesign AC equipment….and for almost a decade, it took MORE (15% or so) energy to achieve the SAME BTU Removal/Transfer (Cooling) with the NEW Freon than the old ones. YES, we have improved…but at what cost.

I am a dedicated environmentalist and have reduced air emissions, worldwide, by millions of ton through process improvements and abatement technology. BUT, today, if you move an exhaust stack from one of the plant to another, the Consulting costs will be 6 figures….not to mention the 10X increase in the Regulators and the size of the permit application.

NOW, the Agency Heads have an AGENDA. They are TOLD who to TARGET….and they do that. Look at the IRS and how they refused Tax Exempt status for conservative groups. Look at Jesse Jackson’s Rainbow Push Coalition….legalized Protection that is Tax Exempt….as is the Clinton Foundation….

YES, you can write a comment….but it is like ONE person voting for Stein….out of 121 MILLION….it amounts to $HIT.

EOR! Suck it up, Buttercup

Gowolves
    Participant

That’s a lot of technical sh*t for the end result is that your voice doesn’t matter. If that’s the case then don’t vote. Oh wait if you don’t vote you can’t bitch, right? I mean that’s all I hear. Don’t get me wrong I agree with that sentiment.

If the Obama administration set the bar for setting more regulations and rules processs in place just wait. The Orange will surpass it easily. Trump is paper skinned as they come. I watch for the first few reporters in the WH get banned when they write something that criticizes him.

My father worked for the EPA for 35 years before he retired. Graduated from Clemson with an engineering degree. He would not be happy of the reports that the EPA is being threatened to be shut down. Now this just what I have read here and there. Not completely sure if that is on Trumps to do list.

I have a friend at work whose FIL who is a retired doctor. We were talking about the ACA and health care costs in general. I said do we give corporate welfare to pharmaceutical companies to reduce costs or do we continue to support a good idea but a poorly executed healthcare policy.

His FIL said we as a society can’t afford our own successes.

Adventuroo
    Participant

GaWolves…

OK, simple answer. When the government decides to do something (the controlling heiarchy of certain agencies), then your voice does NOT count.

I certainly did not intend, either directly or indirectly, to malign your father. I still have a lot of friends that were career “agency” (EPA, NCDOL, NCDNR, etc) employees. They were like a lot of folks….you had a job to do. In general, they were usually reasonable and fair. However, when the rules required 100 pages of forms and engineering studies that cost more than a new Z06 650 HP Twin Turbo Vette, then that is a bit “over the top”. The folks in the agency (regulators) have to review the applications and make the call. If the regulations were simpler, then yes, there would be fewer regulators, but we would have MORE people at work.

Classic example. John Brooks was head of the ND Dept of Labor. Remember the tragic Hamlet Chicken processing fire. YES, there were LOTS of violations and it could have used a lot of work. BUT, did you know that a Federal Inspector wrote in his report that “Company has failed to maintain insect control. Employees take breaks and used rear door. Entrance needs to be secured”. NOW, that is not the exact quote, but close. In NO way am I defending LOCKING THE DOOR. BUT, that was the message.

I was the Engineering Manager of a plant that had a large distribution center on one side of a wall and the manufacturing on the other. We had been permitted by Wake County to build the building. The Fire Marshall “trumped” NC DOL/OSHA on entrance/egress. The warehouse had been expanded several times….each time making it longer. Originally, on the manufacturing side, there was a personnel door at the END of the first warehouse’s footprint. It was rarely if ever used and there were many points of egress and it was NOT listed on the Emergency Plan. It was NOT a marshalling point. When the next warehouse extension was added, the door was left in place. Since the warehouse was a “secured” area, that door was locked. Again, it did NOT go outside.

After Hamlet, Wake County passed all sorts of regulations….OK, the Fire Marshall’s WROTE them….and they were GOSPEL. We had our annual inspection and the Fire Marshall said that the door MUST be unlocked at ALL times…that totally destroyed security. When asked WHY and WHERE (specific number of exits, distances, requirements, etc), he said they were being “reviewed”….then he asked….What goes on behind that wall….are you folks cooking chicken?. We finally got an attorney and an architect involved and got a “variance” of an overreaction OPINION….but we were GUILTY…even though our OSHA program was second to none.

Later on, John Brooks was defeated by Cherie Berry. I went to high school with her. She just got elected for a fifth term. Do some checking on the improvements in the NC Safety Statistics. NC was one of the FIRST states to have a VOLUNTARY program….when we invited in the NCDOL. It was called the Carolina Star. I had to fight tooth and nail to get my Corporate guys to sign up. BUT we did and we got the program. Our division was at the top when I left…and was still there until the division was spun off.

I never SAID disband the EPA or OSHA or the IRS. That, if you can’t figure it out, is pure Campaign Fodder. Like the Democratic op-ed writer said….The Press took Trump Literally and Not Seriously. THe voters Took him SERIOUSLY, but NOT Literally.

My point….President Obama said…”If Congress does NOT send me legislation that I want….I have a Pen and a Phone. He said that in a State of the Union Address and got CHEERED. Why would a governing body cheer someone who told them he would bypass them and do whatever he wants.

I could go on, but you would not be impressed with how companies, not just mine, strive to comply with regulations that seem so assinine that when you explain them, folks will glaze over and say…”You got to be KIDDING”. I only ask them….do YOU do your own taxes? Do YOU understand Capital Gains, Long Term and Short Term Gains/Losses, Carry Forward Losses (which are legal and every person from Warren Buffett uses…including HRC and WJC on THEIR returns. BUT…when the NYT did a hatchet piece on Trump, using a STOLEN and LEAKED tax return, they painted Carry Forward Losses and Accelerated Depreciation like it was the MOST despicable thing that a person could do and NO TRUE AMERICAN would use them. I guess that they did not bother to read WJC/HRC’s returns.

I would NOT be happy if the IRS or EPA or DOT or OSHA was going to be shut down. It would be CHAOS. BUT, based on the past 8 years, some of these agencies have been turned into Political WEAPONS….and they are guilty of DISCRIMINATION….

When Lois Lerner refuses to testify…when she is held in contempt of Congress….when the IRS destroys her Computer that is under a Subpeona…..THAT is abuse of power.

I doubt your dad ever did anything to “target” a company….for whatever reason. BUT, when the Agency Heads get the PHONE call to “Take Care of X or X industy” and they DO IT….that is why folks cheer when the downsizing of government is chanted.

Hillary will never be LOCKED UP, but she will NEVER BE PRESIDENT EITHER….

I have talked to a LOT of doctors. MOST would not choose the profession again. Most did it to help humanity….and the income and lifestyle was a side benefit. WITH the CUTS in Medicare and the regulations, they have had to transform their practices in to “Amazon’s” to support the staff required for Government Paperwork…

Do YOU know that NOW, your SS number will give a physician EVERY Rx that you have purchased in the past 5 or so years….as well as every “Sudafed” purchase? THAT is spoky….I was in Duke today and the doctor said…OK, on X date, you were prescribed….why?

EOR…this will not make the cut….

YogiNC
    Participant

Just read the best thing I’ve seen yet for the “delicate flowers” i.e. snowflakes.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Reminder — 10 day canvas certifying all votes due in Raleigh from each NC county’s Board of Election TODAY!

Ya’ll think we’ll find out who the next Governor is gonna be?

or are we headed to Court…
    which will be *interesting* as Mr. Cooper is still the Attorney General until January and will be representing “the interests of the State” in any litigation.

——————
    Of perhaps more interest… Wolfpack MBBall returns to the hardwood at 6:00pm this afternoon…
    Happy Hour!!!

tractor57
    Participant

Gonna be a drawn out court battle is my prediction.

McCallum
    Participant

Mel Watts was appointed Sec of Interior by Regan.

James Watt was made secretary of the interior.

Mel Watt was the representative from the NC 12th congressional district. Despite having a degree from unc and Yale, Watt is little more than a pimp who looks like he would enjoy a nice suit, good shoes, a warm place to crap, something to screw and a feather in his hat.

McCallum

(Regards to Earle Butts)

tractor57
    Participant

Mel Watt was not old enough to be appointed to anything by Regan. James Watt yes and not sure if he brought anything but a warm body to the table.

Gowolves
    Participant

Roo, I didn’t take offense to the EPA comment. We’re good. I am a CPA and work in public accounting and mostly in tax. I do understand the compliance issues. I too understand the hassles that comes with that and regulations. I hate to sound as I am waffling but regulation is sometimes a neccesary evil. I’m not going sit here it’s good in every situation. The Frank Dodd act was put place because of past financial failures but it wasn’t intended to catch fraud or a unethical corporate environment (see Wells Fargo or VW). We need regulations but only to a point where it doesn’t hinder growth and opportunities.

As far as the 900 million loss is concerned there are good and bad things about having a loss that large. The only way to truly understand it is to get the whole picture of the financials as it relates to that.

YogiNC
    Participant

I just saw an interesting map of the election.
    Election by county
    It would appear that if you took out LA, NYC, New Orleans, Chicago, Detroit, Seattle, Portland HRC wouldn’t have come close, and certainly would have lost the popular vote by a landslide. That is the reason the Electorial College works.

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 511 total)
  • The topic ‘NC Political Predictions’ is closed to new replies.