Men’s Basketball Player Turnover Under Mark Gottfried

Home Forums All StateFansNation Men’s Basketball Player Turnover Under Mark Gottfried

Viewing 25 posts - 376 through 400 (of 504 total)
  • Author
    pakfanistan
    Participant

I agree with you in that if you look at individual games it is easy I explain away or problems.

I bet your tons of fun at parties.

choppack1
    Participant

Yes packphanistan – context is important… Which is why I provided the additional context that in fact 50% of the teams in the “higher” play-in game advanced to the round of 32. I believe 50% of those that advanced to the round of 32 advanced to the sweet 16…

In other words, while we may have been “tired” – we wouldnt have been doing anything special if we had held on.

Like you, I don’t consider the loss a huge black mark on his resume.

I do consider it a “black mark” that the reason he hasn’t more ACC tournament success isn’t because we didn’t have the talent, but rather were “gassed” after playing one more game than our opponent that we lost to in all 5 years.

Like a procrastinating student studying for an exam, Gottfried’s teams have had to deal with the stress of going into the tournament squarely on the bubble for 3 of his 4 tournament bids.

I suspect if we can get a big man or two on the roster next year, we will dance again. Will we have a top 4 seed in the ACC tournament? Will we have a Top 6 seed in the NCAA tournament?

tjfoose1
    Participant

Umm… Paki, don’t you know better than to disagree with lil ‘Dennis Dodd’ Rickie?

pakfanistan
    Participant

Umm… Paki, don’t you know better than to disagree with lil ‘Dennis Dodd’ Rickie?

I’m too busy being appalled I used your where I meant you’re.

Rick
    Keymaster

I agree with you in that if you look at individual games it is easy I explain away or problems.

I bet your tons of fun at parties.

I am not sure what this had to do with anything but I actually am.

choppack1
    Participant

Packphanistan – blame it on the phone, I always do.

Tau837
    Participant

There is so much negativity in the discussion about the program that I feel like posting a best case scenario (that doesn’t involve firing Gott this offseason). Here it is:

1. Abu returns to play the 2016-17 season at State.
    2. Anya returns to play the 2016-17 season at State.
    3. 5 star C Omer Yurtseven commits to State and gets cleared by the NCAA to play the full season. (He visited over the weekend.)
    4. Top 25 juco transfer SF Keanu Pinder commits to State. Late rotation player (i.e., minutes, but not too many).
    5. 3 star PF Darius Hicks commits to State. (He is supposedly deciding Friday, and is supposedly down to State and Cincy.) Depth player, building for future, answering the call for more 3 star types.
    6. A backup PG who can play backup minutes without disaster commits to State. (Perhaps KJ Smith, who visited today.)
    7. Freeman redshirts.
    8. Henderson is granted a 6th year (i.e., granted a medical redshirt for 2015-16).
    8. DSJ and Yurtseven live up to the hype, and both are 2017 NBA lottery picks. This has a positive effect on future recruiting, and Gott lands an elite 2017 recruiting class, which makes up for losing DSJ, Yurtseven, Abu, and Anya.
    9. Meanwhile, the rotation of DSJ, Dorn, Henderson, Rowan, Abu, Yurtseven, Anya, et al. stays healthy, and State finishes in the top 4 in the ACC and makes deep ACC and NCAA tourney runs.
    10. Despite these things, Gott’s contract is not extended.
    11. We have an elite recruiting class that contains a starting PG and two quality big mean, at least one of whom will start. That plus Henderson, Dorn, Rowan, Freeman, Pinder, Kirk, and Hicks for the 2017-18 season means the team is both talented and deep.
    12. And it builds from there…

OK, I realize that scenario has about the same odds of happening as me winning the lottery. But it is more fun to think about than how much fun Rick is at parties.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

There is so much negativity in the discussion about the program that I feel like posting a best case scenario (that doesn’t involve firing Gott this offseason). Here it is:

1. Abu returns to play the 2016-17 season at State.
    2. Anya returns to play the 2016-17 season at State.
    3. 5 star C Omer Yurtseven commits to State and gets cleared by the NCAA to play the full season. (He visited over the weekend.)
    4. Top 25 juco transfer SF Keanu Pinder commits to State. Late rotation player (i.e., minutes, but not too many).
    5. 3 star PF Darius Hicks commits to State. (He is supposedly deciding Friday, and is supposedly down to State and Cincy.) Depth player, building for future, answering the call for more 3 star types.
    6. A backup PG who can play backup minutes without disaster commits to State. (Perhaps KJ Smith, who visited today.)
    7. Freeman redshirts.
    8. Henderson is granted a 6th year (i.e., granted a medical redshirt for 2015-16).
    8. DSJ and Yurtseven live up to the hype, and both are 2017 NBA lottery picks. This has a positive effect on future recruiting, and Gott lands an elite 2017 recruiting class, which makes up for losing DSJ, Yurtseven, Abu, and Anya.
    9. Meanwhile, the rotation of DSJ, Dorn, Henderson, Rowan, Abu, Yurtseven, Anya, et al. stays healthy, and State finishes in the top 4 in the ACC and makes deep ACC and NCAA tourney runs.
    10. Despite these things, Gott’s contract is not extended.
    11. We have an elite recruiting class that contains a starting PG and two quality big mean, at least one of whom will start. That plus Henderson, Dorn, Rowan, Freeman, Pinder, Kirk, and Hicks for the 2017-18 season means the team is both talented and deep.
    12. And it builds from there…

OK, I realize that scenario has about the same odds of happening as me winning the lottery. But it is more fun to think about than how much fun Rick is at parties.

Or….

1. Abu doesnt return (which is likely from what I am hearing)
    2. Anya doesnt return
    3. Omer goes to Cuse, the negative recruiting is too much to overcome
    4. Pinder goes elsewhere, the negative recruiting is too much to overcome
    5. Sure, I will give you Hicks coming but he is just a body not even a role player
    6. Pg, sure I am sure Gott can find somebody to back up DSJ but at what quality?
    7. Freeman redshirts, I think this is a foregone conclusion at this point
    8. Henderson aint happening
    9. Pipe dream

Now which is more realistic yours or mine? I have said all along if Abu leaves Gott should be fired immediately. If Abu and Anya leave then I think 99.9% of the fanbase would be on board with gott (and yow) being shown the door.

After all of this I simply dont understand how Gott can get out of the hole he has dug for himself in regards to transfers and recruiting. The kids obviously know something is going on in the program, parents as well but the biggie would be rival coaches putting the screws in during the process.

Rick
    Keymaster

I am a wiiiiiild and crazy guy.

BJD95
    Keymaster

At this point, to be honest…I try just not to think about it.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

There is so much negativity in the discussion about the program…

“When my information changes, I alter my conclusions….”

While there is some doubt as to the original author/wording of the above quote, it’s one that accurately captures my feelings. My negativity is based on the available information and it will take a lot more than wild speculation to change it.

StateRed44
    Participant

You people that like to poormouth Gott never give any specifics, I can only assume it is because you have none. If everything is so terrible, how is Gott able to hire great assistants to come and work? Abu is gonna do what he’s gonna do. There is no straw breaking the camels back so to speak in terms of players coming and going. It is only and always only about W’s and L’s (unless we have a dead girl or a live boy). Figure that part out please. Right now he has enough W’s. Get over it.

Rick
    Keymaster

I think an ostrich is a more appropriate symbol than a camel.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Or a donkey, as the case may be.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

You people that like to poormouth Gott never give any specifics,

I’m sorry. I just assumed that people had actually watched some basketball last year, knew the condition of the team, and the last two years of recruiting. So for those that don’t have that knowledge….last year’s recruiting and performance sucked. This year’s recruiting results to date is not coming anywhere close to filling State’s many needs…which are growing as players bail from Gott’s sinking ship.

Rick
    Keymaster

Or a donkey, as the case may be.

Or a lemming

ryebread
    Participant

statered44: I think there’s a mountain of evidence from Gott’s time at NC State and his time at Alabama for us to tell what type of coach he is. It’s been discussed many, many times here. If you want, we can rehash it, but it’s in this thread and many others.

You want to focus on the bottom line and that’s fine. It’s eerily similar between Gott’s time at Alabama and his time at NC State — ~.610-.616 overall and ~.500 in league play. If it is all about the bottom line, then the question really is whether that is good enough. It wasn’t for Alabama, his alma mater. I would hope that .500 in league play isn’t good enough for NC State either. Maybe it is though.

We’ve got Gott 1-2 more years. I’m going to hold out hope that it’s going to play out in the best case scenario that Tau lays out. If so, maybe the problem really was the assistants.

Tau837
    Participant

IMO it is likely Abu and Anya will be back. We’ll know soon enough.

Assuming both are back, the biggest key to the scenario I laid out is getting Yurtseven. Getting him would really stand to make this year’s team a very strong team. A rotation of DSJ, Dorn, Henderson, Rowan, Abu, Anya, and Yurtseven (if healthy) should be a really strong core, regardless of the other players Gott ultimately brings in, whether Pinder, Hicks, Dylan Smith, KJ Smith, or whoever.

If that group plays well, it could make a difference for 2017 recruiting. Gott currently has 28 offers out for that class, according to Verbal Commits. There is no reason to assume he won’t sign some good players for that class, and playing well in 2016-17 and placing two players in the first round of the draft can only help.

We are in it for Yurtseven, so it is not completely unrealistic to think we get him.

ryebread
    Participant

Tau: I think Yurt is key for next year and we definitely have a shot. Just as things snowball in a bad way, they can snowball in a good way too. Here’s to hoping that’s what happens.

StateRed44
    Participant

Agree with Rye 100%. Lets keep it about the record. I know we all liked to get attached to the players because it was fun cheering for “your guys” with little nicknames etc. Times have changed and it’s all about cheering for the jersey now. These guys just don’t give a rip and now I don’t either. I have no allegiance to the coaches either for that matter. It’s all about the record for everybody involved as far as I’m concerned.

ryebread
    Participant

statered44: The more I talked with people and found out the lay of the land with Yow, the better I felt that Arch’s extension at Dayton was for us. That extension was the best thing to happen for NC State basketball this year. Thank you Dayton.

I’ve now come to a zen like state with respect to Gott, Yow and what will be. I hope the changes made this year improve that record, because .500 in league play isn’t what I personally find acceptable for NC State basketball. I’m perfectly fine with that for football, but not for basketball, particularly given our resources, the program’s built in advantages and what we’re paying.

marinewolf
    Participant

a lot of negativity is created on forums like this, most are a half empty glass kind of fan- I choose to be positive and hopefully a couple new players help turn this around-why should Gott be fired what are the reasons!! he is the best of the last 4 BB coaches we have had, he has far exceeded Sid and Herb and Les, who you are you gonna get if he is fired.

Rick
    Keymaster

he is the best of the last 4 BB coaches we have had, he has far exceeded Sid and Herb and Les, who you are you gonna get if he is fired

So he’s the world’s tallest midget.

On a serious note, he has had a good first four years but has not built anything. It is a constant scramble to get players. His recruiting is dropping, and the further into his tenure we go, the worse his teams are. It mirrors Alabama. That’s the concerns.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Fastback68
    Participant

We need the Turkish Lurch. “I must break you”

Viewing 25 posts - 376 through 400 (of 504 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.