Men’s Basketball Player Turnover Under Mark Gottfried

Home Forums All StateFansNation Men’s Basketball Player Turnover Under Mark Gottfried

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 504 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

Rose colored glasses, Rick. Cannot believe the bashing of the Martins.l by our own. Eff you, guys. There is a common denominator here and you are refusing to acknowledge it.

eas
    Participant

I’m not bashing for sure. The Martins were getting tons of playing time, so they didn’t leave for greener pastures but different pastures. I would have to agree there is a common denominator here unless we have a super secret all star team showing up for summer school. We knew CAT was gone with a very slight Abu chance. Now all 4 are out of here. If we sh#t the bed again this year I hope someone doesn’t actually say Gott gets a free pass because 4 guys left. We were a bottom dweller team and 4 guys left….just saying.

PackFan
    Participant

In my mind it comes down to the root cause for all the transfers. If Gott cannot develop players properly, or recruit kids into his system that can function as a team, then a change needs to be made. He mentioned something in his announcement about coaching twins; I am assuming that one of them was unhappy and convinced the other to leave? As others have stated on here, none of the kids that transferred really made a big impact on another program. Are they being selfish, or is there a coaching problem? Is there a coaching problem if he cannot recruit kids that buy into his own system?

I just hope that DY has the answer to the root cause, because I do trust that she’ll do the right thing with it.

On a related note, if Abu makes the draft then we’ll have had 2 of the best 60-65 draft players in the country this year, and not so much as an NIT to show for it…

BamaPack
    Participant

A couple weeks ago I wondered if this would happen. We have a log-jam at the SF and SG positions. Rowan clearly showed signs of finding his long distance shooting touch as the season winded down, and he rebounds so he’s going to be difficult to unseat as the starting SF and to me that’s a good thing. Henderson hopefully returns next year as well, and he already has two seasons of experience performing solidly with a power 5 conference team. Torin Dorn will be eligible next season, and it sounds like the staff expects good things from him. And don’t forget Kirk, I hope he sticks around. I think now that the twins have made their decision, he may stay to see how next year goes. As for Abu, I expect he’ll be back once he learns he has basically zero chance of being drafted. IMO, he needs a full season of proving he can be THE MAN, not just for a few games out of the season with an oh-by-the-way fairly horrendous start. Short of some sort of miraculous unforeseen event with the 2016 recruiting class, we absolutely need him to return to have any chance of contending next year. We could really use another big – not another 6’8″ guy but a legit 6’9″ or taller, in order to play with the more elite teams in our conference. I’m excited to see Dennis Smith Jr. for one season and hoping the staff can pick up a couple surprises to close out the 2016 recruiting class.

StateRed44
    Participant

Abu ain’t going to no NBA, get real. He is short and has zero shot or handle

WolfWiz11
    Participant

Expected responses.

The players suck.
    Not going to miss them.
    Every team deals with this.
    It’s not on the coach.

This. A thousand times this. Some people don’t understand until the attic’s under water.

And I liked Gott after the first year. Duh. What wasn’t there to LOVE, even? But after that second year, the signs were there. That was, on paper, a Sweet 16 team, at the very least. To flame out the way they did and to hear there were issues in the locker room, with egos etc . . . Coach has to handle that ish. You don’t see that happening with Coach Rat or Good Ol’ Roy (damn them). Since then, we’ve had prima donnas, all the way.

Rick
    Keymaster

Abu ain’t going to no NBA, get real. He is short and has zero shot or handle

CJ Leslie says hey

StateRed44
    Participant

Years past I didn’t think coaches had to be shrinks. Maybe he’s telling multiple guys same crap or different crap or whatever. Doesn’t matter, he’s responsible to win no matter what the problem or solution is. It comes down to numbers and right now, he’s probably got at least next year. Just ride it out I guess.

StateRed44
    Participant

CJ Leslie wasn’t even drafted. That’s my point. Abu aint gonna sniff the league no matter what he “declares”

WolfWiz11
    Participant

CJ Leslie says hey

CJ’s is a sad story. I mean, the whole nation, the sports media, was up his ass, esp after we beat Dook and he help save/protect the disabled kid when the students stormed the court. Really, if he (and Lo) had stayed another year, developed his shot/game, he could be James McAdoo, an NBA champion, riding the coattails of those superior to him.

Rick
    Keymaster

CJ Leslie wasn’t even drafted. That’s my point. Abu aint gonna sniff the league no matter what he “declares”

And MY point is that is does not matter to Gott coached players on whether they will be drafted or not. They just want to leave.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I’ve learned you can hardly ever gauge how a player is going to do in the pros. I watch a ton of basketball, yes even the NBA. And there really is no way to know with most of these guys. They come from all over the world, and some from very small programs. All different ages, shapes, and sizes.

Did you know that JJ Hickson is still in the league? Averaged 5ppg and 3 rpg for the Wizards this year. If he can stick, Abu certainly has a shot st least. He’s only 20 years old and built like a horse. Still learning the game but so was JJ when he came out. And you know what? Making a couple million a year in Spain or Italy isn’t all that bad, either, if that’s what it comes to.

Texpack
    Participant

I posted in one of the game threads this year that both of the Martins were role player level talents in the ACC and were playing more minutes than you’d really like to se them play. They both looked to have great attitudes and be willing to do lots of different things to help the team win. Neither one of them would have ever been better than third team All-ACC, but they were the kind of players that could provide continuity both on the floor and in terms of team culture. They will both really benefit from sitting out a year because they have excellent basketball IQ’s and they both need to work on their shooting and ball handling.

With Dorn and Henderson available next year this is a net zero. Both are better than Cody and both Martins are better than Kirk right now. I hate to see them leave but I think they didn’t want to be in a situation where one of them was on the end of the bench while the other got to play.

If Abu is doing anything other than getting feedback, I’ll be shocked and he’s an absolute idiot to try to go pro at this point. He needs at least one more year. I think he’s smart to get the feedback. Hopefully it will focus his offseason work more.

I agree completely with filling up the scholarship slots and letting the chips fall where they may. You just don’t find enough four year guys anymore with all of the AAU contamination of the game to base your roster decisions on any level of loyalty.

StateRed44
    Participant

JJ HIckson started for a good while and was very good in college. Not comparable to Abu IMO. I’ll agree that I have been shocked about some guys in and out of the league as far as who sticks and who doesn’t. There seem guys on almost every ACC team or sweet 16 team like Abu, I just don’t see it.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Abu started for us, what’s your point? Just saying there really is very little way to know. Sometimes you just have to roll the dice. Maybe he comes back, maybe he doesn’t.

Adventuroo
    Participant

I have NO inside info and also never been asked to even coach a Y team. But I did stay a LOT of HI Expresses.

If you look at the roster. Henderson and Dorin have been touted as the savior. Henderson carries the moniker….We coulda been a Contender this year.

So, Henderson’s starting job is solid.

Same for Dorin….he will start.

Abu (All of Calipari’s walk-on’s submitted their names to the NBA draft). Unless someone blows sunshine up his rear, he WILL be back…..and will start.

Smith. He’s been touted as Cat’s replacement.

Maverick…..definitely got a role. He can shoot almost as well as Wood did….and rebound and also play acceptable D….and his is confident.

SO, Ladies and Gents, you have your starters.

NOW, there COULD be competition for one slot. SO, the Identical Twins would be in competition for that job.

Again, no inside info, but logically (and who can apply logic to a 20 YO), the Twins would be competing against each other….and that would NOT be good. They compliment each other. Cody was more confident when Caleb was on the floor. Caleb, I think, showed more poise and had a better FG% when Cody was on the floor…Cody ACTUALLY was more assertive when Caleb was out there.

SO, they made the call. Can’t fault them. They have to do what they have to do. Brother will be brothers for a lifetime, but there is only 2 years left to bounce the round ball. Neither will get a shot at the dance….or maybe some International.

NOW, that is my take. DY is NEVER going to go public (as well she should NOT) about what is going on with Gott and the staff and the players. This revolting development does NOT bode well.

BUT, it ain’t gonna change and Gott will move on with a new speil….He DOES have a bit of Jimmy V’s glib and swagger. DY was his benefactor and he DID go the Dance 4 times and to the Sweet 16 Twice.

I would LOVE to hear some feedback from folks that actually KNOW the chemistry and WHY the Twins baled.

I do wish the luck. BUT, most of our transfers have had VERY LITTLE Success…..If you followed Lewis and Purvis, they would have been better of fighting for PT here….

Maryland is coming out STRONG against KU. Wonder is ORW has on his KU button?

BamaPack
    Participant

If Abu returns, which I expect he will, I hope there is a scenario where he doesn’t have to play the 5 for long stretches. I just don’t think he can be successful doing that for any length of time, it would be bad for him and bad for the team. Abu needs to play the 4. That means… time for Anya to put another P90X vid in the DVD player and get to work!

choppack1
    Participant

Roo – gott has v’s swagger, but he doesn’t recruit or adapt like V.

Here’s another thought… You reap what you sow. When you have 3 consecutive years of clear and obvious no 1 options, when you build a team around offense (me, me, me) rather than the selfless act of defense – well, teams are a reflection of their coach right?

I have said it before – it is to Gott’s credit that he appears to recruit good kids, but when these kids leave in droves….

RedReid
    Participant

This is a dark day for State basketball. What you’re telling me is that we finished in 12th place and we have 2 NBA draft picks(cat and Abu) and two kids that think they would be better somewhere else. Either the players are head cases or the coach is. All I know is you can’t win if you can’t hold on to players for 3-4 years. Unless you’re Kentucky.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

Stranger things have happened of course, but Abu just seems to be taking advantage of the new rules. If you’re interested in eventually playing in the NBA, why not take advantage of it and find out what people think of you and what you need to work on. It can be nothing but a good experience for the person, then they come back and know what to expect the next year. Surely more and more players who have no chance of getting drafted (more than already declare I mean) will be doing this and it will become the norm as long as they don’t change the rules back.

choppack1
    Participant

PIR – I hope he comes back, that said, I am pretty sure he and everyone else under the sun knows his limitations… He’s hoping to hear an NBA team (and it just takes 1) – say, we like you, we think you’re ready. And he’s gone -/and if you haven’t figured I out, I think about hlaf of NBA GM’s are certifiable, so I imagine it’s 50 / 50.

On another note, it’s been forever since I have seen a t called on a dunk like UMD’s layman did. Very odd.

PackofMac
    Participant

Coach sucks, we suck, the Martin twins couldn’t/won’t score 10 a game for High Point and Adbul Malik Abu honest to the good lord himself would not be a star at your local Y. This forum is a great place for us all to vent and conversate but until North Carolina State University realizes that we no have absolutely zero shot of marketing ourselves to the talent level of coach or athlete we need within this current structure of the ACC. I am now 100% convinced we need to pull a maryland and exit stage left. I used to roll my eyes and make fun of anyone who started that whole SEC conversation but damnit….it makes sense. I know it’ll never happen….

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Gott came with a history. To think that that his history wasn’t relevant was always more wishful thinking than sound logic.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Gott came with a history. To think that that his history wasn’t relevant was always more wishful thinking than sound logic.

What really pisses me off is that she didnt do any background checking or investigate what happened to his tenure at Bama. She just gave the snide “I dont need to do that I have known him since he was 18”

seriously WTF?

StateRed44
    Participant

I think he’s a good coach, as good as we’ve had since Valvano, but it appears he’s got some deficits. Not only has there been multiple transfers, but multiple players talking bad after said transfers. I used to chalk it up to sour grapes but the reality is that lots of players coming through our program are not buying in to the team concept. I do think some of it is a generation gap with todays players. Some has got to be on the coach though. He just has to win to settle it. It’s his job. I hope Debbie is out the door if Gott needs to be gone so we can hire up to our full potential if she is a problem in that regard.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 504 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.