Men’s Basketball Player Turnover Under Mark Gottfried

Home Forums All StateFansNation Men’s Basketball Player Turnover Under Mark Gottfried

Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 504 total)
  • Author
    YogiNC
    Participant

PIR, Bill meant no matter what your GPA was if you didn’t swim the pool you didn’t graduate.

Smarter than the average bear

Adventuroo
    Participant

My BIL started out at UNC-Charlotte. Was in and out of NCSU over a 5 year period. Failed swimming @ Charlotte. Never took Swimming @ NCSU. graduated in 1984. His mother fully believed that his black diploma jacket was empty empty & that he would be in summer school for remedial PE swimming.
    After ceremony, she literally yanked his diploma out of his hands and opened it. Nearly fainted when it WAS there. She wanted us off campus on case the “Authorities” were coming to repossess his diploma.

Pack78
    Participant

Remember the required 50-yd swim very well…I had been on a swim team since the age of six, so it was no problem. I got my Water Safety Instructor certification as a PE course at State and part of this was helping to teach those that were not ‘100% waterproof’ to pass the 50-yd test. I remember one of those telling me that the only water he wanted to see was the pond on the farm!

Texpack
    Participant

My BIL started out at UNC-Charlotte. Was in and out of NCSU over a 5 year period. Failed swimming @ Charlotte. Never took Swimming @ NCSU. graduated in 1984. His mother fully believed that his black diploma jacket was empty empty & that he would be in summer school for remedial PE swimming.
    After ceremony, she literally yanked his diploma out of his hands and opened it. Nearly fainted when it WAS there. She wanted us off campus on case the “Authorities” were coming to repossess his diploma.

I graduated in 1984 as well and I had to pass a swim test at freshman orientation or be placed in swimming as a PE class so I know why his Mom was suspicious of his diploma. I had a flashback to that swim requirement last night while I was swimming laps at the gym.

ryebread
    Participant

Roo: Thanks for the insightful post on what you’ve heard regarding men’s basketball. I know you’ve been supportive and I can understand why. No one wants to see it unfold this way, but it’s been fairly predictable for some time.

I never liked this hire but was pleasantly surprised by year 1. That Oklahoma State game and year two in general told me all I really needed to know about whether this staff could ever really break through. Ever since then it’s been waiting to see it all play out. I was messaging in the TJW year and last year that this was a divided fanbase. Unfortunately it seems to be swinging towards unified, and that typically only happens near the end.

The problems are that massive buy out, the re-upped extension and doubling down with new assistants. We’re seemingly pot committed to this path for at least 1-2 more years, so this isn’t the end.

My question is about Yow. How is she getting a pass on this? These things were pretty obvious to me from year 2, and were should have been painfully clear to anyone watching in year 3 (when we had the ACC POY and lost in our Last four in Game) and most of year 4. There was nothing prior to the last offseason that screamed “extension and raise” yet she got it pushed through. Is there no accountability there?

Rick
    Keymaster

The problems are that massive buy out, the re-upped extension and doubling down with new assistants. We’re seemingly pot committed to this path for at least 1-2 more years, so this isn’t the end.
    My question is about Yow. How is she getting a pass on this? These things were pretty obvious to me from year 2, and were should have been painfully clear to anyone watching in year 3 (when we had the ACC POY and lost in our Last four in Game) and most of year 4. There was nothing prior to the last offseason that screamed “extension and raise” yet she got it pushed through. Is there no accountability there?

For a while its been pretty obvious how this was going to end up. I have not been pretty vocal of my irritation with Yow and its for this very reason. She is giving out unearned raises. The only reason to look up Gott would be if someone else was trying to poach him. At this point, that is the best case scenario. When he leaves in two years, the cupboard will be bare. No talent whatsoever and it will be a massive rebuilding effort. Is hard to find a coach that wants to do that. IMO we are staring 4 years of suck right in the eye. But NCSU has never been proactive. We wait until its too late.

MISTA WOLF
    Participant

If Abu leaves then this season’s record will Les Robinson-ish (1992 or 1993). I think if he stays we have a chance to finish decent. The Martin twins leaving hurts us only for depth purposes. Yes we need depth, but i fully believe that depth will be filled by late signings (still some good players out there) or graduate transfers. Dorn and Henderson were going to take their spots anyways, so the writing on the wall was clear. Hell, they would’ve been in mop up duty anyways if Henderson wouldn’t have got hurt and Dorn could’ve played this past season. I’m bipolar when it comes to Wolfpack athletics.

TheCOWDOG

@ Rye. Look. Having visions of the future off one OSU game is one thing.

Having visions, is quite another. Xavier would have gladly taken yours in that play in game.

Pack85EE
    Participant

Then again, if the big Turk joins us and Abu stays we will be loaded this year, and there are names kicked around that can come in the following year. Gott could pull a rabbit out of his hat and somehow turn the ship around. This is a dicey game going after the top players with the big boys. He’s brought in two new recruiters, maybe this whole list of haters chewing his ass is for nothing. But I’m afraid he’s gotta do it now or it’s over for him, and our competitors are surely using this churn against him with the recruits. That said, the guy that brings in more 3 stars and low 4 stars would have a steadier program, just not much chance of winning a championship. The grass always looks greener, curious to know who we could get.

ryebread
    Participant

Cowdog: St. Louis beat us in that play in game………….. It was the game when Lewis couldn’t break a press and no one could make a free throw. It wasn’t that we blew that one game that was so frustrating (granted that was an epic meltdown), it was that we squandered the ACC POY and the best player to wear our uniform since Hodge.

As for that Oklahoma State game, did you watch it? We were physically dominated, manhandled by their defense and beaten by a freshman (albeit a very good one). We had (on paper) our best team since V. To lay down like that told me that something was seriously wrong. Nothing in year 2 changed that opinion.

My hope is that Pierre brings that toughness that I saw that day against Oklahoma State. For once I’d like Wolfpack basketball to be mentally and physically tougher than the opponent and have a mean streak. I’ve not seen a nasty NC State team since the days of Thornton and Inge. If we toughen up, learn how to play defense and salvage a roster, then maybe we can turn this thing around.

Here’s a relevant clip from my favorite movie:

Wulfpack
    Participant

We beat Xavier in the 2014 play in game. Then we beat ourselves against St. Louey.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

You mean that regardless of your GPA, you would be given your diploma simply by swimming across the pool? (of course I’m pretty sure you mean the opposite, but these days you have to clarify such statements)

PIR, Bill meant no matter what your GPA was if you didn’t swim the pool you didn’t graduate.

Thanks for the pickup Yogi…
    that’s exactly what I meant… 4.0 in Physics + can’t get accross the pool and back === no NCSU diploma.

Now does anybody know what year the swimming graduation requirement — one of our most cherished traditions, IMO — was dropped ??

I know my oldest daughter, Class of 2011, did NOT swim to graduate.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    pakfanistan
    Participant

We beat Xavier in the 2014 play in game. Then we beat ourselves against St. Louey.

I always saw that game as fatigue was a huge contributing factor.

TheCOWDOG

I always saw that game as fatigue was a huge contributing factor.

Go figure…State had 2 point guards 😉

ryebread
    Participant

Ahhhh… Doh!! Totally forgot that first one. Just remembered how bad the meltdown was against St. Louis. I stand corrected.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I always saw that game as fatigue was a huge contributing factor

We were up 59-45 with five to play. Fatigued or not, you close that out. We went 20-for-37 from the line that game. Warren was 6-for-14. Unreal.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I always saw that game as fatigue was a huge contributing factor

We were up 59-45 with five to play. Fatigued or not, you close that out. We went 20-for-37 from the line that game. Warren was 6-for-14. Unreal.

You should sell the secret that allows you to be unaffected by fatigue. You’ll make millions.

14 points is five shots, 7 tops. There were > 30 possessions in the last 5 minutes. Free-throw shooting was bad, no doubt, but guess what contributes to unusually poor shooting….

On top of that, we committed six fouls. Guess what also contributes to committing poorly timed fouls….

AND, if my count is correct, we were out rebounded 13 – 5 over that stretch. Guess what contributes to losing rebounding battles….

But seriously, if you can play two hard-fought games on absurdly short rest and not have it affect you negatively, there’s a HUGE market if you can bottle it or teach it to other people.

choppack1
    Participant

Packphanistan – what’s your point? From what I can tell 1 of these 2 teams in the non-16 seed games advance to the 2nd round.

I agree – we were fatigued. We had pretty much been on the bubble that year for 10 weeks. However, good teams DO overcome that.. Heck, solid teams overcome that. Gottfried’s teams couldn’t finish that year because of the same reason his teams haven’t been able to advance past the semi’s in the ACC tournament…they don’t perform at a high enough level in the regular season to overcome their lack of depth / consistency of execution in the tournament.

However, give him credit – this “we just don’t have enough gas in the tank” thing has been keeping him from great things since he arrived at NC state and apparently durin his decade at Alabama. I guess he should ask Leonard Hamilton, Bennet, and Laranaga how they can do it in the ACc. He should ask Shaka, Cuonzo, and Gregg the same thing regarding the NCAA s.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Woah, wasn’t expecting this one from our friend pakfanistan. Honestly, all I was saying was that it was a collapse – up 14 with 5 to play – in the biggest game of the season to date. Yep, we were fatigued (obviously). Not trying to suggest anything else – just that it was an awful turn of events. That team fought like mad to get in.

But chop is also right – other programs do overcome things like fatigue. They recruit enough players to fill a roster. They are solid from the stripe. They rebound, defend, etc.

Rick
    Keymaster

If you are looking for an excuse you will always find one. That was one of the worst collapsed I have witnessed. We’re we toured? Sure. So was the other team. Of course if Gott could keep his players them maybe we would not be running on fumes.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Packphanistan – what’s your point?

Only that context matters and sh1t happens.

I don’t see that game as some huge black mark. St. Louis was a decent team.

It would have been nice to win, and was winnable. I think on a different night, under different circumstances, we win that game going away.

But we didn’t, and you can try to fit that in to your worldview however you’d like.

We’re we toured? Sure. So was the other team.

Um, St. Louis didn’t play a play-in game the night before, and then hop on a flight to the next game and arrive at their hotel at ~ 3AM.

marinewolf
    Participant

D Yow: when she arrived, the previous AD has mucked everything up so bad, his last hires were a BB coach who was hired as a last resort, his FB hire was someone that called and said I will take the job, so I think she has made upgrades in BB and FB.
    who knows how good this team could have been had Henderson not been injured, the Martins were good roll players but as the season progress they wanted to take more of a starring role, I saw them take shots when they should have passed, that being said I still have confidence in Gottfried, his overall record in the last 5 years gives him a pass (4 out of 5 NCAA and 2 sweet 16)from where we were previously he is an upgrade-ooh rah

Rick
    Keymaster

Um, St. Louis didn’t play a play-in game the night before, and then hop on a flight to the next game and arrive at their hotel at ~ 3AM.

Um, saint Louis had a good enough year they were able to avoid the play in game.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Um, saint Louis had a good enough year they were able to avoid the play in game.

Um, we were talking about that one game, not the season.

Rick
    Keymaster

Um, we were talking about that one game, not the season.

I agree with you in that if you look at individual games it is easy I explain away or problems.

Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 504 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.