Men’s Basketball Player Turnover Under Mark Gottfried

Home Forums All StateFansNation Men’s Basketball Player Turnover Under Mark Gottfried

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 504 total)
  • Author
    Adventuroo
    Participant

OK,

So there IS some good news this week. Avent will recover…..but the Snake….he done paid the price.

Hicks looks like a good grab. BUT, we have had so many good grabs before in oh some many times and oh so many ways.

Time will tell. You can not build an empire around freshman….I think we’ve tried that before.

BUT, you DO need some Scholly types to even have a good practice.

JeremyH
    Participant

Looks to be a Josh Davis-type spark plug player.
    ..who ended up going to SD State after Tulane following NC State?
    it really is a free agent-like atmosphere now.

choppack1
    Participant

As it should be Jeremy – these guys aren’t endentured servants.

I imagine these kids want 3 things:
    1) develop their game so they can make a living at it professionally.
    2) play for championships.
    3) playing time
    For some, they probably even want a good college education and college experience.

If 2 of those first 3 aren’t happening, it’s a perfectly understandable position to seek greener pastures. If Gottfried doesn’t start showing he can win championships and / or develop 3 and 4 star guys a little better, he will continue to miss out on the Bam’s, Camille’s and Devonte’s of the world and the Martin’s, Washington’s et al will continue to depart.

The task is almost impossible, but he is getting paid good money to do it and since he has been here 5 different schools have win the ACC championship.

Getting Hicks is a good start, but we need Abu back, and we need the Turk. Even if we get these guys, we need to become better defensively. As long as Gott is here and has decent talent, we will have a puncher’s chance against almost anybody. But it needs to be sustained to cut down some nets.

StateRed44
    Participant

They don’t want the extra bennies KU,UNC, and Kentucky give? How naive.

choppack1
    Participant

State44 – given Yow’s and our adminstration’s tepid response to the going ons in Chapel Hill my only logical conclusion is that we don’t have firm ground to stand on ourselves in that regard. Also, all things being equal – given their post season success vs. Ours, they will choose the schools you just mentioned.

StateRed44
    Participant

What we have is selective enforcement of the rules. We may have transgressions that could cost Yow her position or be embarrassing, who knows. She is gonna act in her best interest, I would’t expect her to open her mouth. We cannot however be anywhere near the level of the blue bloods considering the fact that we were dinged before and had the program dismantled at the same time everyone else was ramping up with ESPN and more money into the system. We as an institution have nothing to lose, but the institution is run by individuals that do, hence she keeps her trap shut. It would behoove NC State greatly if the whole thing was nuked and everyone started over from scratch playing by the same rules and enforcement. But this is not a perfect world.

Wulfpack
    Participant

No, not a perfect world. Like it or not, Yow’s an insider. Yes, she bleeds red and has our best interests at heart. She’s done a tremendous job bringing stability to the department and building the non-revs up. We are still what we are in the big two, but that’s an uphill battle for anyone in the chair. But, she won’t poke the fraudulent Carolina bear, and has hitched us to this sham of a league for good, at least on her watch. Throw in the near idiotic comments about the search prior to the hiring of Gott, and, yea I’m a bit lukeworm on her. She ain’t the best and surely ain’t the worst, either.

MrPlywood
    Participant
    ryebread
    Participant

Good pickup in Hicks. I think the prize (and the ability to make any real noise this year) is with Yurt. Hope we finish the late recruiting season strong.

Rick
    Keymaster

I haven’t seen him play but 91 points? Wow
    That would be a good pickup. Gott knows how to scramble so maybe he pulls him in.

Texpack
    Participant

Yurt So Good

Seven Footer Signs with State. No celebration until he clears eligibility screening.

choppack1
    Participant

Great news!! Now, on to the clearing house.

We can say what we want about his coaching and recruiting philosophy, but if Yurtsven plays for the Pack this year, it will be the 2 most impressive signees (Smith and Yurt7) that I can recall.

nav
    Participant

Wow, another year, another late rabbit out of the hat for Gott and Co. Makes you wonder when the late in the recruiting process luck will run out.

Rick
    Keymaster

That is really good news. Now losing Abu does not hurt too much. Gott is a master at scrambling.

redisgood
    Participant

Fantastic news! Two projected lottery picks.When we lost Bam, I thought there would be no way to overcome that. Keeping my fingers crossed on his eligibility.

This also tells me that Abu is probably gone.

Texpack
    Participant

If Abu comes back, this could be a really good team. It may take awhile for them to mesh with two freshmen and two transfers, but hopefully Dorn and Henderson have played together in practice long enough to have decent chemistry already.

Rick
    Keymaster

Fantastic news! Two projected lottery picks.When we lost Bam, I thought there would be no way to overcome that. Keeping my fingers crossed on his eligibility.

This also tells me that Abu is probably gone.

I cannot imagine they will not give him eligibility. And yeah I imagine immediate playing time was a good selling point to the 7.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Surprised doesn’t even begin to describe it. But I said we have no options but to recruit ourselves out of this mess…and we might have freaking done so! 😀

redisgood
    Participant

I cannot imagine they will not give him eligibility. And yeah I imagine immediate playing time was a good selling point to the 7.

[/quote]

I don’t know how much credibility there is to the story, but I read his pro coach was upset about him leaving, and has claimed Omer was getting paid. Another story is the team opened up a bank account for him and put money in it, but Yurtseven never owned it or touched the money.

Whatever has gone on, I will breathe easier when he’s cleared.

redisgood
    Participant

The Pack are also doing a pre-season international trip like when they went to Spain in Warren’s freshman year. This will be a terrific opportunity for all the new pieces to get some work in together.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

I don’t know how much credibility there is to the story, but I read his pro coach was upset about him leaving, and has claimed Omer was getting paid. Another story is the team opened up a bank account for him and put money in it, but Yurtseven never owned it or touched the money.

Whatever has gone on, I will breathe easier when he’s cleared.

[/quote]should be an easy thing to clear up then

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

The Pack are also doing a pre-season international trip like when they went to Spain in Warren’s freshman year. This will be a terrific opportunity for all the new pieces to get some work in together.

True but I dont think DSJ is going

Gowolves
    Participant

Wow, another year, another late rabbit out of the hat for Gott and Co. Makes you wonder when the late in the recruiting process luck will run out.

I hope you have s few sleepless nights wondering about this. When you find the answer please let us know.

ryebread
    Participant

Good verbal! Let’s get him signed and through the Clearing House. We’ll not really know who we have on the roster until the basketballs roll out this fall.

I don’t think this has anything to do with Abu going one way or another. I think it has more to do with what the Celtics (or other NBA teams) tell him. He wants to hear he is NBA ready and will be drafted. The question really is whether he gets enough warm fuzzies to keep his name in the draft.

JeremyH
    Participant

If I am Abu I want to stay and be part of the run the team (with him) is capable of making. He could go from “not invited to combine” to Lottery status.

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 504 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.