(12) NC STATE vs (5) SAINT LOUIS Preview

Home Forums All StateFansNation (12) NC STATE vs (5) SAINT LOUIS Preview

Viewing 25 posts - 751 through 775 (of 897 total)
  • Author
    Whiteshoes67
    Participant

When you can’t celebrate your own success, at least rejoice at the failure of others. Barnes and the Hornes are dispatching the Fighting Sendeks. At least we don’t have to endure that.

DrWuffette1day
    Participant

I’m with Sacco on pg 28. It was the groin interview which threw ya’ll off our game.

WeAreCured
    Participant

Also, concerning fatigue, most people get tired from traveling in and of itself, let alone traveling along the east coast between physically and mentally draining athletic competitions. It was a factor.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Gottfried didn’t make smart decisions down the stretch. THat’s not said in hindsight. I yelled at him the entire last 4, and OT. My wife and neighbors will attest. Team loss, total meltdown, but the coach has to be better. He’s not 18-20, he’s been in that situation, he’s supposed to be able to anticipate strategy and counter with proper personnel, not just hope for the best.

redisgood
    Participant

Not sure who had the bigger meltdown tonight, the team or some of the posters here. Holy cow. I think the posters win. Fatigue is no match for Jack Daniels.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

When you can’t celebrate your own success, at least rejoice at the failure of others. Barnes and the Hornes are dispatching the Fighting Sendeks. At least we don’t have to endure that.

Feeling better already.

JeremyH
    Participant

Agreed. It was as much a factor as it was for us against Duke. I have to say that travel in the backcourt by Lewis was just mind melting. If you can’t handle the press, you just can’t win.

JeremyH
    Participant

What also hurt us is that we starting playing conservative after we got the big lead. So they started their strategy down 10 instead of down 15. That was huge also.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

The inability to break the press, the mental lapses leaving 3-pt shooters open, and the delay getting some of the bigs out when the hack strategy began was mind blowing to me. Sure, make free throws and you’re in the drivers seat, but it was oh so clear we were rattled. Looked like hot potato out there. The only guy who wanted the ball was Warren.

redcanine
    Participant

If fatigue was the problem, give ’em all the Alejo treatment this summer. I mean underwater suicides or something that resembles waterboarding. This aint gonna be a Krispy Kreme and Chronic summer!

We DID look pretty tired tonight. If we were in better physical shape throughout the year, we wouldn’t have had to participate in the play-in game.

We were sucking wind in the FIRST half.

JeremyH
    Participant

i agree that we didn’t have a strategy to counter their strategy. we just hoped they would miss and we could hold on. but then they started getting excessive offensive rebounds. our energy just tanked all at once. suddenly when we started missing free throws, we couldn’t stop them on their offensive end.

JeremyH
    Participant

redcanine: I would like to see a slimmed down Anya next year. that would make a big difference.

ldr of the pk 75
    Participant

What? Herb/ASU lost?

triadwolf
    Participant

Hopefully this loss stings enough to motivate these guys for next year. What this team will be will be determined over the next 6 months. You don’t get better at shooting jump shots or free throws over the course of the season, you work your ass off during the off-season to get better. This looks like a group that will put in the work, but we’ll know in November. Will KH lose 30 lbs; will Cat hit the weights and get stronger; etc?

With the exception of Howell, I didn’t see the last group improve physically in the 3 or 4 years they played; hell I don’t think CJL added one ounce of muscle the whole time he played. It’s easy to go out and practice the things you’re good at and play some pick up ball over the summer to “stay in shape”, it’s quite another to work at the things you don’t do well and really get better. TJ and JV obviously put in the work last off-season and it paid huge dividends; hopefully that’s the beginning of a culture of State players putting it upon themselves to improve.

ldr of the pk 75
    Participant

Well put triad.

YoungWolf17
    Participant

Still extremely proud of this team. I can’t pin this loss on Gott. A coach can’t go on the court and shoot the free throws for his players. Lack of mental toughness by our guys tonight. Still really proud of their job this season though

JeremyH
    Participant

Just sheer exhaustion. And I can’t pin this on any one entity–the team lost. That’s it.

Could totally see Cat having a Warren-like season next year. And I’m afraid of what an in-shape Anya would be capable of doing.

Since74
    Participant

This team lost 80% of last year’s scoring.

Tyler and TJ played together some last year … They’re sophomores.

This team was picked preseason to finish 10th or 11th in the ACC.

We had close losses to *NC, Syracuse, and Wake Forest that May have been wins if those games were officiated differently in the last 30 seconds.

Most of the best teams I’ve seen in all sports lose a lot of close ones one year and the next come back more mature and better equipped to win the close ones.

Gott has made the tourney 3 years out of 3 years.

I really like the personality of this “TEAM” and hope that no one on it chooses to leave because it’s fans talk mad sh*t about everyone on it after every loss and continuously use demeaning nicknames for everyone even during the wins.

Keep telling these young people they are victims of State sh*t and see if it perpetuates itself.

To the coaching staff and team: Great job guys. I can’t wait to see what your experiences mature into next year.

This program is on the right path.

Tuffy2
    Participant

Sure they were tired as I have no issue there. We just did not hit our FT. We also did not attack the press and go to the basket instead of holding up. Gott missed on some adjustments but it came down to FT. I did wonder why Gott had Vandy go in the game with 4 fouls instead of Anya. What are you going to get from Vandy with the 4 fouls. If he plays defense he fouls out most likely. That had to be in the back of Vandys head.

With 28 secs left in ot TJ did not need to foul as someone else should have either help trap TJs man and they pick the foul up. AS it came down to the final seconds of OT only needing 2 to send it to double OT our one player that can give us the 2 is on the bench.

We all know TJ will not be back next year but, that has to leave a bitter taste in his mouth. Bitter enough to come back. Now that is a long shot but it is a shot no matter how slim. I can dream all I want and until it is announced he will go to the nba that is what I will do.

nouveau wolf
    Participant

Rick and PackAlum44

I have gone to this site less and less over the last few years because of the negativity and vitriol from regular posters like you. I came here today because I was so disappointed in the outcome of the game, but I knew that, big picture, we had accomplished way more than this team was supposed to. After reading posts of that nature on BTP, I decided to look for more solace here. BIG mistake.
    Rick, SFN would probably be better off if you choose not to pull for the Pack anymore, as you are considering. Never been more “disappointed in a team” in YOUR LIFE?!?! than a team with no expectations going 1-1 in the tourney?!?! We won’t miss you.

PackAlum44: I’ll let you speak for yourself
    “We r screwed. We r losers bc y’all r. Accept it. Punks. Take the jock strap. Justify it.”

Yeah, that’s why I come to this site, to have my team and myself be insulted by other “fans”.

Shameful.

Truly disgusting.

JeremyH
    Participant

to his defense I think PackAlum44 was drunk. and note that he graduated in ’44. so respect your elders, geesh. : )

theTHRILL
    Participant

To be honest, I can hardly stand to think about next season right now.

packalum44
    Participant

I’m less drunk now and stand by what I said. We are losers for accepting this. VA Tech knows hiring a loser is a sunk cost when they see it. To say this loss was an epic meltdown is an insult to Sendek. He never had this talent. Gott is a loser and I said it right after Dayton upset. Us making the dance was horrible bc it gives losers vindication. Hire Archie this season. Gott sucks this game is one piece in a long line of evidence. There is little reasonable doubt.

packalum44
    Participant

Oh wow just read some earlier post. Attribute that to the booze starting at lunch. For context I work on Wall Street with winners and hate seeing losers back home. Being a winner starts with attitude and I hate them but at least unc alumni have that. Our fans don’t. So used to be red headed step child farmers we just keep accepting it in the back end with no lube. Disgusting.

Wufpacker
    Participant

I haven’t read (nor will I) most of the post game meltdown. Having said that, and also stating that IMHO this was not SOLELY a coaching failure…I do have to say that this post game remark from Gott has me at least somewhat concerned….

“It’s hard to explain, we’re a good free-throw shooting team,” Gottfried said. “It kind of steamrolled on us there from the foul line.”

Now, I’m willing to allow for the fact that in the heat of the moment and emotion of the loss he might have slightly misspoken. Perhaps what he meant to say is that we’re not usually THAT bad of a free-throw shooting team.

But in all seriousness, if he thinks we’re even approaching good from the FT line as a team, then there is some serious discrepancy in his and my definitions of the word ‘good’.

I suppose I’m no longer puzzled as to why we didn’t seem to improve from the line, and maybe elsewhere, as the year progressed.

Viewing 25 posts - 751 through 775 (of 897 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.