(12) NC STATE vs (5) SAINT LOUIS Preview

Home Forums All StateFansNation (12) NC STATE vs (5) SAINT LOUIS Preview

Viewing 25 posts - 826 through 850 (of 897 total)
  • Author
    BJD95
    Keymaster

The FT debacle happens. We still win if not for the shit defense. THAT was the killer, and MG didn’t utilize our most effective defender from this game (King Hippo, who was DOMINANT against SL’s bigs).

I am mathematically inclined, but it doesn’t require much skills to know that trading 2 for 1 (SL layup, followed by 1 of 2 at best from our GOOD FT shooters) is worse than trading 0-1 for 0-1 (assuming that KH maybe fouls a few times, or gets the ball on defense and is fouled, hitting only 0 or 1 – though he pretty much always goes 1-2). At least you burn clock in the latter scenario.

I mean, we were going offense/defense and putting freaking VANDY in the game for DEFENSE. Are you kidding me? He might be the worst defender on the team (and the entire ACC), now that BSW has improved a tad. Plus, he was tired. Just all kinds of stupid there. And not like he has composure against the press if he ends up with the ball, either.

And KW is a poor FT shooter, but he’s also a big target for breaking the press, and he can at least dribble. PLUS he was not tired. Fresh 55% FT shooter mis as good as tired 65-70% we kept trotting out there.

Rick
    Keymaster

No Rick, I dont think we should not comment if we dont know more. I am just saying we should not be bashing the coach. We were not out-coached last night to the point it cost us the game. Crews probably is a good coach (he played for Knight) but we did not execute down the stretch. Flat out, we did not execute, and THAT was why we lost.

I disagree, if this was a one time event sure I could lay it on the players but this has been a consistent problem with Gott teams. The coach is the one who recruits them and teaches them and prepares them. It is his responsibility when this happens. He also makes the decisions on who plays and what to do. Last night I saw a coach who had no idea what to do.

triadwolf
    Participant

@Wolfpack – I was speaking more towards individual improvement for next year. I’m with you in that I’m not sure that will translate into a better team season as next year there are definitely some big hurdles in the league. I think there’s potential to have a really good team next year, but with many variables. The 2015-2016 season is one that I feel can be a very good year, but I agree there are some questions still out there.

@Mista Wolf – No worries; I wasn’t very clear in what I said – post tournament hangover, and not alcohol induced (although I really wish I drank more last night in hindsight).

Mike
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mike wrote:</div>
    No Rick, I dont think we should not comment if we dont know more. I am just saying we should not be bashing the coach. We were not out-coached last night to the point it cost us the game. Crews probably is a good coach (he played for Knight) but we did not execute down the stretch. Flat out, we did not execute, and THAT was why we lost.

I disagree, if this was a one time event sure I could lay it on the players but this has been a consistent problem with Gott teams. The coach is the one who recruits them and teaches them and prepares them. It is his responsibility when this happens. He also makes the decisions on who plays and what to do. Last night I saw a coach who had no idea what to do.

Perfectly fine to disagree and we can. I am proud of the job Gott did with this team – hence my breakdown of what he had with his roster in an earlier post.

Rick, you and I agree that we were in a position to win 3 other games this year, only to see zebras take them away. We put ourselves in position to win last night, and we choked, bricked, whatever you want to call it our FT’s. But the entire body of work, the improvement over the course of the year, is all commendable. I think a lesser coach does not put us even remotely close to those 3-4 other winnable position games.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

The 2015-2016 season is one that I feel can be a very good year,

None of us has any clue what that team will look like. So I see no sense in making projections based on nothing more than a wild-assed guess.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

If you’d have asked me before the season if I’d have been happy at .500 in conference and a tourney ticket, I’d have said hell yeah. But after seeing our parts, and seeing the rest of the league, I still think we underachieved. For me, that’s 2 out of 3 years of underachieving under Gott. The measurables and trajectory concern me. Little improvement from year-to-year on the defensive end. I’m with BJD, that was the back breaker to me. Giving up the wide open looks from 3, letting them roll the ball down the court, it just can’t happen. We had WBS and Vandy in to defend late when stoppages allowed you to sub is inexcusable. Every possession counts. I’ll give credit when its due, and I think Gott made some really good calls during that game, took some really good timeouts, used his subs pretty damn good throughout the first 37, but he also made some downright boneheaded decisions.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

I don’t watch NBA basketball, so I have no idea what the draft projections are, who’s expected to come out, team needs, etc., but for those of you that pay attention to “the league,” where is Warren projected if he came out? What other players his size is he competing with on the board? Does his lack of range from 3 hurt him? Is there any chance he comes back?…

triadwolf
    Participant

None of us has any clue what that team will look like. So I see no sense in making projections based on nothing more than a wild-assed guess.

2015/2016 A team potentially loaded with Juniors with a lot of playing experience, a sophomore class that looks pretty good on paper that should get a lot of playing time next year; and a freshman class that should be fairly talented based on past recruiting results. Oh, and a senior point guard that has shown he can play pretty well. No more a wild ass guess than saying we’ve reached our ceiling and won’t get any better like many have posted…

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

Retreads are not the way to go for big time basketball coaching hires. They are fine for programs coming off scandals or probation, but not for programs looking to make the next step.

Obviously there is no way we make a coaching change which makes the coaching carousel so difficult for me to watch this year. There is huge potential for other ACC programs (BC, VPI, GT, WF) to make a monumental leap just by making a coaching change. Unfortunately I’m afraid we are stuck in that purgatory of a program with a coach who does just enough to not get fired, but doesn’t really accomplish anything spectacular. I see a foundation of good players on our team, but I don’t see any go to guy on next year’s team or on the horizon. Maybe Lee or Turner evolve into that guy.

I was not a fan of the Gottfried hire when it happened and I remain skeptical despite the good recruiting numbers. The offseason and next year will be an indicator of how well this staff can manage, teach and develop a team. Anything short of a top half ACC finish and NCAA bid next year will reinforce my opinion of the staff, in spite of any chemistry/cohesion problems that may develop/exist over the next 7 months.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

A team potentially loaded…[snip rosy projections]

If I had a dime for every rosy WTNY (or the year after) projection made at NC State sites, then I would be out enjoying the fabulous weather this afternoon instead of working.

YogiNC
    Participant

I guess the folks who don’t want to blame the coaching staff didn’t see the fact that this team COULD NOT play against pressure. At times they looked lost and at other times they just plain lost the ball. THAT IS COACHING, plain and simple. it’s not like they don’t have the athletic ability they just looked stupified by the pressure. That game was lost by the staff.

Smarter than the average bear

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

^Good thoughts DSD..Some really good coaches out there at mid-majors. The Manhattan guy can flat out coach. High energy, Petino protege. Did you see how hard those kids played the entire game? The way they played defense and attacked on offense.

My biggest fear now is that *NC makes a run in the tourney and I have to endure it after last night’s dissappointment. Got a good friend who’s a huge Providence fan. They’re a solid defensive club, but I don’t think they can score enough to stay with the blues. They’re long, I think they play some zone, but I’m not sure that’s a good idea against light blue

pakfanistan
    Participant

Come on Mercer! If I can’t have a win, at least give me schadenfreude.

Rick
    Keymaster

2015/2016 A team potentially loaded with Juniors with a lot of playing experience, a sophomore class that looks pretty good on paper that should get a lot of playing time next year; and a freshman class that should be fairly talented based on past recruiting results. Oh, and a senior point guard that has shown he can play pretty well. No more a wild ass guess than saying we’ve reached our ceiling and won’t get any better like many have posted…

Who knows who will be here next year much less two years from now. Not to mention we had a very similar “rosy outlouk” last year and see where that got us. I have to agree with whiteshoes in that two out of three years we have under performed.

WAC,
    I am sorry but I cannot allow you to rip someone like you did.

Mike
    Participant

Coach K is a terrible coach. How can Duke lose to Mercer? Fire the coach and hire Archie! K had no idea how to counter what Mercer was throwing at him, so fire the coach.

gso packbacker
    Participant

I was waiting for the Coach K comments.

Should Duke fans be more pissed than our fans over the result of their first round game? I would think so, but then again, I am not one of the 29 people who think TJ is come back either (see our poll) 🙂

triadwolf
    Participant

^ I also noticed that on the poll – TJ coming back is a pipe dream for sure.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

^Duke shot almost 40 3’s…That’s assanine. They’ve lived and died by the 3 for some time now.

triadwolf
    Participant

Another example of a senior led team beating a team of mostly sophomores and freshman.

tjfoose1
    Participant

“Last night I saw a coach who had no idea what to do.”

Yep, but what was even more damning was that the players saw that too. That fed the beast. It’s a different outcome if coach could have at least faked it.

SaccoV
    Participant

Regarding TJ, I think he’s going to be a solid professional player; however, he possess more skills of a hybrid 2/3 in terms of getting to the basket and scoring. He CANNOT shoot from outside of 18 feet to save his life, which I would like to see him work on. I have very little hope though that TJ will choose wisely and get his game better instead of heading out in a market that will be loaded with 4/5 players (Wiggins, Parker, Embid) and PGs (Smart, Paige). Warren will be drafted, but would you rather wait another year for perhaps a true lottery selection, or would you like to go out now and perhaps not be drafted until round 2? I’m also hoping that TJ paid close attention to his three teammates from last year who left a year early but are now playing out of the country or playing in the D-league.

As for Gott, next year should be the telling year. Year 4 will tell us if years 1-3 were the paradigm of 20+ wins but no deep run and no vying for a conference title. Again, Gott can’t use the recruiting card as his trump forever. Sidney had plenty of good recruits, and HWSNBN also brought in some NBA talent. The point is can you build a winning program, and even winning last night doesn’t necessarily support this program as ‘winning.’

tjfoose1
    Participant

The Coach K comparisons above are asinine, regardless of your position.

The failure of one doesn’t justify the failure of another. That stated, Mercer is a good, strong veteren team that came into the tourney strong and on a mission, having accomplished the first step by winnin their conference tournament.

Assuming Mercer 2014 is a pushover shows even more of your ignorance.

Mercer is not a team that limped into the tournament losing 4 of 5, a team with their star point guard gimpy, with a double digit deficit with 3 minutes to go.

MrPlywood
    Participant

“I’m also hoping that TJ paid close attention to his three teammates from last year who left a year early but are now playing out of the country or playing in the D-league.”

I’ve been keeping up with Lo, Cj and Rich, and it’s been a tough row for all of them. CJ did get his $200k contract with the Knicks, but he was recently transferred to Idaho where he played all of 10 minutes the other night. He’s nowhere to be found on the D-League Top 30 prospects list.

I believe Lorenzo got a ~$423k contract this year and has bounced back and forth between the tire fire in PHI and playing for Delaware. He was recently transferred to Springfield and is #3 on the Prospects list. I’m not sure how his contract works but he’s listed as getting increases each year to $1mil in ’16/’17.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/PHI.html

Rich bought out his contract in Idaho, where he was kicking ass and taking names and working his way up the Prospects list. I think he was as high as #14. He went to play for Talk ‘n Text in the Philippines. I have no idea what that pays or if the NBA even pays attention. I do know that most D-League gigs pay squat if you weren’t drafted. http://www.arabnews.com/news/543756

Long story short, if you don’t stick with a team right away, there are a LOT of talented guys working hard in the D or elsewhere just waiting to take your money.

inhoc…
    Participant

Always fascinated about why players/coaches of losing teams always feel the need to say “give ___________ credit for winning the game”.

What does that even mean? It’s just like a guilty politician saying “I take full responsibility for my actions” on a news interview after they been identified in a scandal. It’s just an empty gesture, so why even bother?

Come on, sometimes everyone knows the outcome is solely on the losing team for giving it away…just call it what it is. It’s not poor sportsmanship to be honest.

—–
    Rolling into existing SL game thread
    VaWolf82

Wulfpack
    Participant

You really just do not know who is going to be successful in the pros. I watch parts of NBA games every now and then, and I swear I don’t know where half of the players came from. It is a totally different animal.

Viewing 25 posts - 826 through 850 (of 897 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.