(12) NC STATE vs (5) SAINT LOUIS Preview

Home Forums All StateFansNation (12) NC STATE vs (5) SAINT LOUIS Preview

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 897 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

.. if that what they are gonna try to do…

Update my prediction… PACK by 15…

And if they are really serious… about stopping CUZ…

We will have FOUR other guys with doubledigit ProductionPoints…
    and we only need three to win….

(ProductionPoints = points + assists + rebounds + steals – turnovers )

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

Jigs,That is good work. I imagine this is the type of information Brad Stevens used to use so effectively.Jigs is our Moneyball

I love that movie/book. I believe stats can’t tell you everything but if you don’t have the time to watch film and study a team, especially multiple teams, then tempo free stats can give you a good picture of who a team is.

I remember a story about Jim Larranaga after he took over Miami and had a team meeting asking the players what they wanted to accomplish the next year, then asked them how good they considered themselves at various things like rebounding. The answers all came back they thought they did pretty good, that’s when Jim broke out their Offensive Rebounding and Defensive Rebounding Rates and showed them they were one of the worst in the country. Then he showed them the rebounding rates of the final four teams and that drove the message home. The next year Miami’s rebounding rate increased dramatically because the players were now focused on it and had a quantifiable measurement of what was actually good.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Cat still eating grass?

LMAO, he looked pretty healthy in the sports page photo (from yesterday’s practice). And I sure as sh-t don’t want him breathing on WBS if he isn’t close to 100%!!

The key is…can and WILL we effectively run through their screens. I have no doubt we’ll score enough if we do that.

wilmwolf80
    Participant

So their game plan is to try and stop Warren? If only every other team we’ve played all year had thought of that!!

Pack85EE
    Participant

Whiteshoes, You said Cat was still eating grass. Just being a funny guy yourself, or do you know something?

Edit This seems late, My link was not updating quickly. I see the ? is out there.

Tuffy2
    Participant

No reaching in by TJ to pick up cheap fouls tonight. I read that they play good defense and make teams shoot late in the shot clock. We have been playing some great defense ourselves. Freeman has been playing like a man on a mission when it comes to defense along with all our other bigs. Great timing for us on that note.

I know we need to only think of this game but it would be nice if Mannhatten upsets the cards. I can at least dream!

Pack85EE
    Participant

Pitt has jumped on Col who can’t buy a shot. 11-0

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

Nicole Auerbach (usatoday)
    Jim Larranaga’s use of analytics gives Miami secret weapon

He doesn’t remember how and when and why he was introduced to the world of advanced statistics.

He turns to his long-time assistant Chris Caputo in the hallway and asks about the first time they found kenpom.com, a website devoted to college basketball analytics. Caputo can’t remember, either. Maybe five years ago? Definitely after their staff discovered Synergy Sports, video-scouting software that compiles intricately detailed data on every team from every game situation imaginable.

[snip]

“If I’m going to be good, I’m going to judge myself against other players who are really, really good,” Larranaga said. He carried that into coaching. As an assistant at Virginia, he charted the performances of various lineups to figure out the most effective group of five. Compare, compare, compare. Then go with what works. Video might show him that now. Or a sheet of numbers from kenpom.com.

The use of such tools has propelled Miami to unprecedented success in the Atlantic Coast Conference this season. The Hurricanes’ 13-0 start in league play was the best of any team since 1998-99, and a win Saturday at No. 3 Duke would clinch the ACC regular-season title in this, Larranaga’s second year with the team.

“The thing with Coach is, as long as he’s been doing this, he’s never stopped learning,” Caputo said. “You’re looking, searching for things that will give you a bit of an edge. I think it was just word of mouth — there’s no great story.

“Looking at a team on a sheet, it’s a concise way of understanding. … A lot of times, you ask someone how they did on a test. They say, ‘Good.’ Well, what does that mean? A ‘C’? That’s pretty good, right? Not if everybody in the class got an ‘A’. Or I got a ‘C’, but everybody failed the test. You try to see the things you value … and then see where that ranks within your league and nationally. That tells you what your team is like.”

The Miami players hear about advanced statistics more than they see the numbers themselves. They aren’t given statistical printouts; they don’t get bogged down in the details. Their coaches tell them the important ones. This team is 50th in tempo, that team is 300th. This one is in the top 10 in offensive rebounding, that one turns the ball over on just 14% of possessions.

“They understand rank very well,” assistant coach Eric Konkol said. So the coaches toss the key stats in with normal prep work, like talking about opponents’ tendencies or watching video. Together, it provides a full picture of what the ‘Canes will be up against. Miami scouts its opponents, but it also self-scouts, tracking where it stacks up against the nation’s best to motivate itself.

Said senior Julian Gamble: “They give us those types of statistics to let us know where we are and where we need to improve. You want to be the best, and numbers don’t lie. If you say you’re not No. 1 in the country in something you want to be, you know you have something to improve on.”

Larranaga and his staff emphasize points per possession; it’s a good way to stress defense, something that players can rely on even when shots aren’t falling on a given night. On Tuesday, prior to the Virginia Tech game, Gamble recited a sentence that would please his coaches: “We’re 16-2 when we hold teams under one point per possession.” Make that 17-2 after the win over the Hokies.

Miami is ranked sixth in the country in defensive efficiency, 39th in offensive efficiency and 26th in turnover rate — all significant improvements from two seasons ago.

This lingo, while new to the Hurricanes, is far from foreign from those at George Mason, where Larranaga spent 14 seasons before coming to Miami in April 2011.

“He was innovative,” George Mason athletics director Tom O’Connor said. “He was focused on (advanced statistics), but that didn’t override the fact that he still had to go out there and teach offense and defense. It’s good to have all the statistics, and it can definitely be a major plus. I think he saw that early on. He’s always been ahead of the curve if he sees something that can help his program be successful.”

Tuffy2
    Participant

Sorry about that! It’s spelled Manhattan.

Rick
    Keymaster

What are they going to do, work hardest to get him in foul trouble, slap him in the balls to draw a technical, try to injure him. Or are they just talking the usual suspect of defenses, Box and 1, triangle and 2, M 2 Man w a focus on collapsing on Warren? I don’t know but the quote bothered me.

When I used to play a lot of pickup I had a great trick for stopping a hot shooter. When he went up for a shot, give him a stiff pop in the stomach, call the foul and apologize. From then on every time he went up to shoot stick your hand out like you were going to hit him, he would flinch and it would throw him off. Worked every time.

Maybe that is the plan.

Pack85EE
    Participant

Pitt 21-5

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

^I know nothing, hoping someone here had news. Think we’ll need da Cat tonight, so I hope he’s got a few more lives left. Somebody put a bug in Buckets’ ear: NO REACHING AND SLAPPING AT THE BALL! NO FRIGGIN SILLY FOULS, NOT WORTH THE RISK..

Pack85EE
    Participant

And Tell Warren if anyone takes a cheap shot, just tell Anya, Vandy and Freemon. Put the double block slam to the ground move on them.

BJD95
    Keymaster

If you combined Le Nard’s mean with KH’s hugeness…wow, that would be deadly.

Rick
    Keymaster

If you combined Le Nard’s mean with KH’s hugeness…wow, that would be deadly.

I think KH has a lot of grit to his game. He smiles alot but he does not tend to “play nice”

Pack85EE
    Participant

Archie Millers Dayton just knocked off Ohio State 60-59!

BJD95
    Keymaster

Agreed, Rick. But just imagine if he had the hate in his heart…

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Whiteshoes, You said Cat was still eating grass. Just being a funny guy yourself, or do you know something?

It’s just an old farm boy thing…
    … Dogs eat “green grass” to settle upset stomachs…

This really does NOT translate to today’s society… and could be really confusing or upsetting to some…

BJD95
    Keymaster

Cats really do the grass eating thing, too. I done seen my cats do it, here in suburbia.

Sweet jumper
    Participant

Archie Miller just cost me one billion dollars!!

BJD95
    Keymaster

Never bet on a team whose best player is white. Or against an Archie!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Ok… so Dogs and Cats have something in common… cool…

Don’t worry about CUZ’s fouling too much… he’s shown he can play with fouls except when the zebras say no…

Let’s put that another way… if CUZ ain’t got a couple of reaching fouls to go with his 3-4 steals and loose 50/50 balls he ain’t playing hard enough… and there’s a bigger problem elsewhere…

Pack85EE
    Participant

Yea I have pets, understood the eating grass reference, just mainly focused on whether Cat was sick on not. Key issue we are all worried about. And is there any stiffness in Warren’s ankle. I just hope they all come to play. Pitt sure did. 53-24

Fastback68
    Participant

Since I made the mistake – TheCOWDOG – 12/22 “Barber is one serious dude. He plays with a switchblade in his sock.” Some lines just stick and are appreciated.

redcanine
    Participant

The only time King Hippo eats grass is when he drops his cupcake on the ground.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 897 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.