Why do we bother caring?

Home Forums All StateFansNation Why do we bother caring?

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 181 total)
  • Author
    tjfoose1
    Participant

For those who think the refs should not be ‘blamed’ for the game’s outcome due to the mistakes made by NC State’s players and coaches, I submit that if State had NOT made many of those referenced mistakes, the game still would have been ‘managed’ to the same end result.

Some of you need to attend, if you can, such a game, up close. Just sit back and watch what happens off the ball. I’m not talking about missed calls due to the action of the game, or the officials being out of position. That happens, I understand. Many of those happened last night, on both sides. Vandy got away with 2 or 3 blatant one himself (though not consequential).

But watch what happens directly in front of the full view of an official, just feet away. Directly in his line of sight. Then compare that to the head scratching phantom calls, or calls made by an official racing across court to call a foul that he was no where close to be in a position to see, let alone call.

It’s shameful.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Nobody thinks the refs shouldn’t be better. Nobody. At all. Ever.

But teams find ways to win under the conditions of college basketball at the moment. Just not us.

tjfoose1
    Participant

And I still have not received and explanation for our hideous u*nc blue Powerade water coolers. Why? Why does a NC State team have 2 huge water coolers with their rival school’s colors directly behind the team bench? Why? Somebody explain this to me.

I am boycotting Powerade until this changes! And yes, I am sure they care.

DrWuffette1day
    Participant

Rick,

It may change when: 1) teams like State finally get smart and shops around for a different league and 2) statistics show more historical trend. We are getting there with both instances. One thing UNC-CHeat doesn’t like is numbers and facts. We have a university of really great engineers. People will be more educated and stop always referring to and relying on luck. Luck is a factor sometimes but not over the course of time.

If Swofford wants UNC-CHeat and Duke to rule the roost, eventually other teams have to take our place as the battered women. If State removes itself from the equation, other teams will pick up on it and can document further. Syracuse got a piece of it against Duke. It’s more about patterns of behavior versus just one game though. Social media helps too. Wish we had YouTube in the 80’s.

They are just repeating what the UNC-CHeaters and their media outlets are saying. Some are saying what they have always said through the years. Some are from the football school. Different sports with different perspectives. In football, refs tee you off….you go and physically overcome your opponent. Wish our basketball team would do that one time. Just once. I mean really, what’s the worse that could happen? 🙂

DrWuffette1day
    Participant

Isn’t Powerade a blue drink?

Wait…It’s Swofford. Swofford did sign the ACC drink contract probably. Probably because it is a blue drink. Drinking the blue kool-aid. I get it now. No red gatorade.

charger17
    Participant

Look people, it’s the job of the coaching staff and the players to forget about the refs during the game and play their best. But it’s the job of everyone else who supports the team to make sure the team gets a fair shake when the clocks ticking. So, don’t give me any crap about not complaining about the refs.

I do not necessarily subscribe to the conspiracy stuff, but this is what I do subscribe to. It’s unavoidable human nature for these refs to go into this kind of game with subconscious thinking that State will need to take advantage of UNC to win, whereas UNC has the talent and experience to beat a team like State without any help or even with a few things going wrong. This provides a context for refs to take a defensive posture against protecting a team like State whereas it’s very natural, given the context, for them to “protect the quality” of the better team.

While this is, as I’ve said, unavoidable human nature, it’s OUR job to call attention to it and try to change the reality in a respectful way. So, get off my back about complaining about the refs!!! When you’re watching what I watched, somebody has to.

DrWuffette1day
    Participant

Packfanistan- not in basketball. You don’t “overcome” refs in this sport.

Rick
    Keymaster

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>pakfanistan wrote:</div>
    We can’t control the refs, we can only control how we play, so if we want to have any success, our best bet is to get better as a team.

You and I cannot control the team so we should not bother about discussing them. That is the logical extension of your absurd argument. If you want to argue the refs called a good game well at least that is a logically consistent argument. If you want to argue “the refs sucked but we can’t do anything about it so I will criticize the coach/team” then you are being intellectually inconsistent.

Please try not to be so dense. Neither of those things is what I was saying.

“We” == “the team”

[The team] can’t control the refs, [the team] can only control how [they] play, so if [the team] want to have any success, [their] best bet is to get better as a team.

I did not realize you were part of the team. I thought we as fans were discussing the game. My bad.

Rick
    Keymaster

Nobody thinks the refs shouldn’t be better. Nobody. At all. Ever.

But teams find ways to win under the conditions of college basketball at the moment. Just not us.

Well when one team can wrap up a player and get the ball from the “turnover” it is no wonder they win.

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

Rick, I would like to officially welcome you to my world of debating on SFN. Maybe it’s the other way around but “peas and carrots” and all that.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I did not realize you were part of the team. I thought we as fans were discussing the game. My bad.

Yes, it is completely unheard of for an alumnus to to use the word ‘we’ when referencing his alma mater.

Such a thing is probably as rare as rain falling somewhere on the earth, i.e. never.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Well when one team can wrap up a player and get the ball from the “turnover” it is no wonder they win.

Would you explain it to me like I’m five? What is your contention?

That the refs are biased against us personally?

Are they biased against any team not Carolina and Duke?

Or is your position they are biased for Carolina and Duke?

Edit: I know you have problems with pronouns so to clear up any confusion, “us” means the team, aka NC State men’s basketball.

Tuffy2
    Participant

It all really comes down to Gott is a good coach not a GREAT coach. I feel we have a very good coaching staff and I wonder how much of what the other coaches imput are being deflected by Gott.

MP
    Participant

Hat tip to SaccoV for the “Les Jones with the make-up sex!!” game thread post.

I was one of the few who thought the on-the-floor call was correct in the Syracuse game.

But last night… That series of events at the end of regulation: (a) the no-call; (b) the call; (c) the make-up sex; caused me to state out-loud, “The refs have completely fu#ked this game up.”

And really, that’s what is remarkable to me. All of the plays after the no-call became like alternate reality. The overtime felt like a joke; whether we were up by 6 or Paige was hitting the game-winner. None of it mattered. Because what we had was actually a very good basketball game for 39 minutes. And then in one instant, the refs fu#ked it up.

blpack
    Participant

I’m still upset about he refs, they officiated in the second half differently from the first. inexcusable. They were bad, both ways. It is the state of the current ACC. That said, I am more upset with us losing. Missed FTs, and the last 7.7 seconds letting Paige in for a lay up. We had a time out left. Take it. No fouls, find #5. Find a way to win that game in spite of everything. Just go win it.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Find a way to win that game in spite of everything. Just go win it.

No, you can’t, they, whoever they are, won’t let us, specifically, win.

It’s as clear as day. Nobody every wins except for the 70 people ahead of us in the rankings who are favored by those in power in college basketball.

Teams like Southern Methodist, Saint Louis, and Wichita State are always going to get preferential treatment because of their long and storied history.

Rick
    Keymaster

Rick, I would like to officially welcome you to my world of debating on SFN. Maybe it’s the other way around but “peas and carrots” and all that.

I coach 1 and 2 grade girls that can understand subtelty better than many on this board.

Rick
    Keymaster

Would you explain it to me like I’m five? What is your contention?

That the refs are biased against us personally?

Are they biased against any team not Carolina and Duke?

Or is your position they are biased for Carolina and Duke?

Edit: I know you have problems with pronouns so to clear up any confusion, “us” means the team, aka NC State men’s basketball.

It is NOT my contention. It was a by the head of the ACC refs himself.

You said you are an alumnus? I have to admit I figured you were still at State given your seeming inability to argue without calling someone stupid.

pakfanistan
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>1.21 Jigawatts wrote:</div>

I coach 1 and 2 grade girls that can understand subtelty better than many on this board.

The ironing.

Rick
    Keymaster

Thanks for proving my point

pakfanistan
    Participant

You seriously can’t see past the end of your own nose can you?

You’re THE most inflammatory, irrational poster on this board, which is saying something.

You toss around how blind other fans are, and how absurd their arguments are, meanwhile, never addressing the substance of what has been said.

Then when you get called out, you start deleting posts. I fully anticipate this one being deleted.

Please, show me where I called you dumb. Please. Pretty please?

Maybe you shouldn’t get so bent out of shape when somebody has the audacity to have an opinion different from yours.

TheCOWDOG

Doc Muffette…(Nickname of endearment, you let me know if you don’t care for it.)

Just out of curiosity, who are these football people you speak of ?

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Let’s just agree to disagree about the officiating and at least not let that discussion undermine the quality of the board. How’s that sound? For lots of us, we like this board because it didn’t always digress into the monkey board. Most everybody on here acknowledges that the quality of officiating in college basketball has declined. So has the play. Nobody disputes it.

I’m all for folks trying to show collusion. If that’s what you think it is (aka ryebread and his attempt at statistically proving it), go for it. But cherry picking calls after every close loss, then complaining and pointing fingers because others merely suggest that bad calls, questionable calls, or no-calls, are in fact, part of nearly every competition, something btw that all of these athletes have long recognized–and suggesting any criticism or discussion of our poor execution is somehow not a contributing factor, or less of a factor, is quite strange. Fine for the fans to take the “it’s the ref’s fault we’re losing” view, but if the coaches and players have the attitude, and that’s the reason we’re losing, then we’re in bad shape. I’ve been tossed from some games as a coach for arguing a call, but I’d never focus on that in a practice or want my kids putting that much faith or dependence on game outcomes in the hands of an official. And that has nothing to do with the choice of sport, it’s universal.

Rick
    Keymaster

You seriously can’t see past the end of your own nose can you?

You’re THE most inflammatory, irrational poster on this board, which is saying something.

You toss around how blind other fans are, and how absurd their arguments are, meanwhile, never addressing the substance of what has been said.

Then when you get called out, you start deleting posts. I fully anticipate this one being deleted.

Please, show me where I called you dumb. Please. Pretty please?

Maybe you shouldn’t get so bent out of shape when somebody has the audacity to have an opinion different from yours.

LOL
    I have threatened to but never deleted one of your posts. Your post may get deleted but not by me.
    But I will tell you this, if you make a post like that to someone else I will delete it because there is no reason to call others names.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Ole’ 67 turned 67 today..and shot a 67..and saw us get fouled 67 times last night

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 181 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.