Summer doldrums, shooting the sh1t

Home Forums StateFans Non Sports Talk Summer doldrums, shooting the sh1t

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 295 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Another lament for times past…

Playground Basketball is Dying

… which, among other things, reminds of those two ribs I broke when I hit the edge of the concrete behind the basket at Eastlawn…
    Yes… I was fouled on that layup by one of my best friends… “Wildman Wesley”…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    highstick
    Participant

http://www.stadiumjourney.com/news/07-13-2014/717/ncaa-ballpark-experience-rankings-2014

No wonder Tanner left..Number 1 to Number 47…

Jeez, there are bull sharks that will swim up to you on Pensacola Beach…in 2-3 feet of water…learned a new way to catch ghost shrimp.

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

Wufpacker
    Participant

bill, your ribs remind of the time I got body checked into the curb which lined the outdoor courts behind Carmichael (you know, back when there wasn’t a building there). My left ankle has never been right since.

I’m sad to hear that the better players want to be inside these days. Here I was thinking I still had game, but now I find out that the players outside just suck now.

Typical.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^Wuf… I only played “inside” Carmichael… back when it was new….

The “best” places to play outside were on hard ground with a very very thing coat of fines…
    That said, some of guys might remember something like this…

Back in Junior High School
    The neighborhood bball court was in my backyard…
    That was Alamance County Red Clay… which would have made the Tennis Pros in Paris proud…
    In January-February… we’d do our homework BEFORE Dinner… and wait until the ground froze hard (about 7 or 7:30) and then play until bedtime….

Once we got good enough to play inside… we didn’t play a lot outside except during the summers…
    then some of us discovered girls and the athletic opportunties offered by mixed doubles…
    and things were never the same again…

BJD95
    Keymaster

F-ck me, the outdoor Carmichael courts. Good times, man.

My freshman year of college, March 1992. Twas the day after our ACCT elimination, and who is opposite me in a game otherwise only involving marginally athletic shitheads like me?

Mark Davis.

In my moment of greatest glory, I ran back after a layup, and stole the ball from behind as MD dribbled at the top of the key.

In one continuous motion, MD said “nice play, man” and took the ball back.

This is a true story, as peteavio and WallyB can attest, assuming they are lurking today.

TheCOWDOG

Anyone ever play with an intramural team in the prison gymnasium?

Hoo boy!

redisgood
    Participant

Hoo boy!

I’ve never had that experience, but I assume if your socks begin to droop, you don’t bend over to pull them up.

TheCOWDOG

LOL, man. I had a con come down on the floor while warming up and he said,

“You better stay within 50.” Fifty! The line was 50!

We lost by 60,and my only thought was where the hell are the guards?

Tough crowd.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^closest I GOTT to that… was when I played with some football players…

At 6’4″ and 180 lbs mol… me and football players didn’t mix well in the paint…

Outside was a little better, except when they reached for and tried to steal the ball…

Off the court was a different story…no problems whatsoever…

and remember all this was back in the day when basketball players were basically prohibited from weight rooms everywhere….

TheCOWDOG

^
    Damn, Bill. We WERE those football players. Still got crushed by the con-all stars.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Hoo boy!

I’ve never had that experience, but I assume if your socks begin to droop, you don’t bend over to pull them up.

Ha!!! That gave me a good chortle.

Our vet school intramural team made the finals one year. And to keep with the current theme, we did happen to be facing a team made up mostly of footballers (early 90s this would have been). Dudes were laughing at us pre-game, and I can understand why. I thought they were gonna mash us too.

But we had ’em with five to play. Unfortunately, some late miscues cost us. We fell by 3.

I was always kinda weirdly proud of that.

No prison league games so far, but there’s still time to cross that off my bucket list.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Mr. Dog…

You guys weren’t that bad… if fact your teammate and now Dr. Willie could’ve have done that Charlie Ward thing twenty years earlier and played point guard for Stormin’ Norman… if he had wanted to and if Holtz woulda agreed…

The worst and best football player I ever played played with ( not talking about hackers ) was a guy I played with regularly in Atlanta… Forget his name.. but had been a second team or so SEC running back at Kentucky (maybe 6’0″ and 220lbs) and he was lightning quick… he’d reach for ball, go down across my arm, get the ball and be turned around and then my arm would go tingling-numb from my fingertips to my shoulder…

He was a quiet soft spoken guy too…
    Dude could play some D…

He didn’t get a lot fouls called either… ’cause if you can’t see it… it ain’t a foul…. right ??

After the first three times he did that…. I figured out what was causing it and put an end to it… played face up instead of turning my back to him… and passed a lot to my teammates… ’cause he couldn’t steal the ball from all of us at the same time.

Wufpacker
    Participant

After the first three times he did that…. I figured out what was causing it and put an end to it… played face up instead of turning my back to him… and passed a lot to my teammates… ’cause he couldn’t steal the ball from all of us at the same time.

Chuck Norris could.

highstick
    Participant

Cowdog say:

Hoo boy!

Never played in the gym, but played a fast pitch softball game against the inmates at Jesup(MD) Federal Prison in the cell block when we were prepping for the 1st Army Championship back in 68. I caught most of the game, then went to left field around the 7th and was threatened with a knife not to catch anything that came close to me..Luckily nothing was hit in the air to me, but figured I could outrun the sucker until one of the guards in the tower could take him out with a rifle.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Speaking of rough bball games and the “playground”…
    This fits right in…

For those of you who failed the “How Open Minded Are You?” quiz….
    Try this one… maybe you’ll do better… maybe you won’t….

How BadA$$ are You?

Your score may surprise you… and the rest of us….

Wufpacker
    Participant

95%

But in all honesty, I think they’re confusing “badass” with “apathetic”.

Pack78
    Participant

92%-Thought the bar question was going to involve bikers..

BJD95
    Keymaster

75%, which is probably a bit high in all honesty.

highstick
    Participant

I played against 2 eras of NC State football players in the intramural league, but I tried to stay out of the paint and shoot from outside. The time that I can remember going inside was against Joe Scarpati and his teammates back in the winter of 64. Little Joe and I got our feet tangled going after a rebound, I hit the floor and Don Montgomery(a big tight end)fell on me with my arm behind my back…3 days later, I could use it again. No broken bones, but it was numb for the better part of 3 days.

Our UPS team played the footballers(Shaw etal) pretty closely back in 71.

Then I graduated and played in the industrial league in Raleigh. Those games could really get rowdy. But, I just kept shooting from the outside…except for the rare “Earl the Pearl” spin move that was successful a few times…

Wolfanatic
    Participant

In an unrelated story today, Wolfpacker Timmy Clark won the RBC Canadian Open…. That makes him eligible for the WGC Bridgestone Championship next week, and the PGA the following week…What a happy happy day… the putts on 16, 17, and 18 were as clutch as Dave and Don hooking up…

highstick
    Participant

Cool on Clark…I didn’t get to see the end..we did get some recognition on there today with he and Karl being roommates at State.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

May he win at Valhalla…cheers…

ncsu1987
    Participant

Love this thread.

Been away for a long time, tied up with some work stuff, really appreciate getting back and reading your comments again. Nice to come back to a comfortable place, where things are normal, and stable, where people can disagree without rancor (mostly). Pleasant contrast to my recent environments.

Don’t do raised beds (I’m a condo guy), but did play intramural basketball in the early eighties. One year we had a better team than most (meaning we had two of us with organized ball experience, rather than just me…) and got assigned to a fairly weak group. We managed to sweep all our games in the group and went into the intramural “tournament” ready to play. Won a squeaker in our first game, then the wheels came off.

Second team we played was the defensive secondary from the football team. Fast, quick, strong, and fundamentally good. Worst beating I was ever part of on a basketball court – I think they outscored us close to 4:1. I can remember trying to get my ass onto somebody to block them out and ending up laying face down on the wrong side of the basket. Not rough, or even getting fouled, just a really strong guy moving a much weaker guy out of his way…

Gave me a really good appreciation as a kid for the skill levels of the real athletes, so I tip my hat again to those of you in that group.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

yep… it’s definitely been a “boring summer”….
    but football season starts in 30 days or so…

Ok… since you guys like taking pop quizs…
    (oh ye that wandered the hallowed halls of Harallson Hall after dark..)

Try this…

What Your Real IQ?

I am sure the results if any dare to post them…. will start some arguments…
    and thus settle the proverbial questions as to who the real DumbA&&es are that hang out at SFN…

TheCOWDOG

Ok, now you guys got me going to the Wayback Machine.

As mentioned that IM team wasn’t bad. We had no real height,though compared to the Homies from Pen.

We were all Frosh,too.
    It was Moi`, Buckey1,Buckey2,Lil’MikeHardy(Goldsboro fame),Pat Hovance,BJ Lyttle,and a couple of guys that transferred out.

So sad to think about Mike Hardy. You see,he went up to NYC to visit one of the guys on that vert IM team that summer,and…fell to his death, out the passenger window, while cruising the Holland Tunnel.

Uhmmm…On a brighter note, I is ass deep in ripe ‘maters.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 295 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.