Summer doldrums, shooting the sh1t

Home Forums StateFans Non Sports Talk Summer doldrums, shooting the sh1t

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 295 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^Plywood… that other kinder “best honey” (an NCS classmate) might have been in Martinsville (I was on the way to Roanoke early one morning… and I was so shocked to to see OB/GYN after her name on that brand new sign… I didn’t dare pull in and check it out… after all, it had only been 30 yrs and you know – 4 kids and a wife… later ).

My wife later told me “I should stopped and told the old girlfriend… Hello…”

And Wuf.. Next time I went to Roanoke I took 29 to Danville, and 40West to 220N Roanoke…

Some chances a man just don’t need to take…. Some things my wife still don’t know everything ’bout… ain’t been back to Martinsville since either….
    —————

Yeah I had fallen arches – bad – too… but I GOTT a pair of $600 custom inserts from the Foot Doctor and they fixed themselves after a little while…. Now I can walk to the pier and back on the beach – a couple of miles – barefooted and feel good…
    —————

Mr. Stick… I still cook my “roasting ears” the old wood-flue-bacca-barn way — (except I use the oven ) …. Just shuck ’em and cook ’em until they changes colors and gets crispy… Serve with butter and salt… Mama’s cooking is sooooo gooood !

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    BJD95
    Keymaster

Yes, diverticulitis will indeed scare you straight. Though for my money (or maybe mine was just big) a kidney stone is 10 times worse. That one got me off tea and peanuts for good, like 8 years ago.

The ER nurse said she had pushed out 4 kids and 1 kidney stone, and she’d pick childbirth any day of the week.

YES, take care of your f-cking feet. My foot doctor also says those Rainbow sandals that were so trendy are the devil.

Wufpacker
    Participant

I’m presuming that Rainbow Sandals are either some hipster thing I missed out on, or something which cannot be worn into a Chick-fil-A.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

And over the past couple months I’ve learned how to completely rid myself of all of those nagging aches and pains which remaining active while aging seems to have been causing. Sitting on the couch and (almost) never moving does wonders. Way better than Advil.

The bad news is that I’ve also ‘found’ the weight BJD seems to have misplaced. A few more months like this and I might just pack it in and see if I can get myself to the point where they’ll put me on TV when they have to remove a wall to get me out of the house.

Gotta get my 15 minutes somehow.

ncsu1987
    Participant

Take care of your feet is right. Had trouble about 10 years ago, bought my first pair of Finn Comforts. Expensive (for me, at least) but oh, so worth it. Haven’t bought anything else since.

Va’s lifestyle change sounds like something I should embrace.

Pack78
    Participant

Here in my late 50’s the digestive tract still works well-I should count my blessings. Only leg/foot issue is occasional major pains from tendonitis in each Achilles; probably from years of flip-flop wearing…You guys stay healthy, REAL football (our American version) is just around the corner.

redisgood
    Participant

This thread is like a car accident. I want to look away but I can’t.

MrPlywood
    Participant

‘Stick, I’m sure what you smelled was purely medicinal… they probably grow it out there at Butcharts!

Gowolves
    Participant

Redisgood, I hear you. I keep checking back to see who is the winner with the old age issues. I am 43 and blessed to have only a bad knee. Good health can change in a blink of an eye so good karma goes out to all here with whatever is ailing them.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

RED!… “Ask and you shall receive…”
    That may well be the most exciting thing that happened all summer !!!

July 6th — My 16 1/2 yr old daughter’s first accident…

A month later… I still haven’t settled with the insurance company….
    Yes… there’s a story in the works (starts with uninsured motorist, hit and run, not my girl’s fault )…

And if any of you SFN lawyers want to hear a good one… let me know….

But the good news may be, as my wife said…
    “OK.. check that off the list… last kid / first accident — we did that.”

Pack Mentality
    Participant

Low drop, lightweight, almost no cushion shoes have helped my feet big time when running long distance. They have almost eliminated shin splints and any knee pain. My feet were pretty flat but developed an arch because the tendons and muscles in your feet have to work as opposed to letting the shoes do all the work. Also much less stress on the knees. But it took damn near a year to get acclimated to them.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Low drop, lightweight, almost no cushion shoes have helped my feet big time when running long distance. They have almost eliminated shin splints and any knee pain. My feet were pretty flat but developed an arch because the tendons and muscles in your feet have to work as opposed to letting the shoes do all the work. Also much less stress on the knees. But it took damn near a year to get acclimated to them.

This.

I don’t run in them (much) but my feet and ankles have gotten so much better since I switched to Chucks. Anything much more substantial than that drives me crazy now.

And as for the dangers of ‘minimalist’ shoes, as I understand it, the biggest problem is people don’t work their way into it enough. It takes time for the musculature and tendons to catch up to the training. But people just switch shoes and keep doing the same old thing, which is injury city.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Only one of my knees is balky (right has some arthritis that got cleaned up last year), but switching from treadmill to exercise bike has made a huge difference for me. If there’s too much pain, most of us (me included) will just stop.

For the high arched dude, Orthaheel has served me pretty well. Tennis doesn’t bother my knee post-scoping, and has never bothered my feet too badly. It’s the everyday stuff (and even sitting at rest) that bugs my feet.

MrPlywood
    Participant

The rowing machine works well for me, and riding a real bike. I never have been able to run any distance worth a crap. Of course giving up bball would probably do my feet a ton of good, but I’m only young once.

Pack Mentality
    Participant

And as for the dangers of ‘minimalist’ shoes, as I understand it, the biggest problem is people don’t work their way into it enough. It takes time for the musculature and tendons to catch up to the training. But people just switch shoes and keep doing the same old thing, which is injury city.

That is correct. You cannot heel strike with minimalist shoes. Heel striking is what causes the jarring on the knees and really your whole leg and foot. However, if you were barefoot the pain receptors in your heel would immediately prevent you from running like this. Cushined shoes remove this pain and allow you to heel strike which still gives the high impact injuries to the knees, shins, etc.

It is hard not to heel strike with conventional shoes. Almost all shoes have the heel 12 mm above the toe, so when you try no to hit the ground with your heel it still does give you a heel strike due to the elevated nature of the heel. Low drop shoes of 0 – 4 mm take this into account. But since we all have been wearing 12 mm drop shoes our whole lives, it is not a quick thing to just switch over to low drop. You have to slowly work up the muscles that have not been in use since you started wearing shoes. I have really enjoyed the New Balance trail minimus shoes since I started on them. I still have “regular” tennis shoes that I wear to play basketball and just hang out in.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Good news! good news! NC State income taxes going down 0.05% in 2015. Teachers getting a state wide raise. Good on you, Pat.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

OK… Labor Day is less than a month away…
    …and, among other things, that means some of us might go Dove Hunting…

So I was thinking… some of you guys might get a BIG BANG out of this…
    These guys did!

highstick
    Participant

Psychology 101…
    If you start with a cage containing five monkeys, and inside the cage hang a banana on a string from the top, and then you place a set of stairs under the banana, before long a monkey will go to the stairs and climb toward the banana.
    As soon as he touches the stairs, you spray all the monkeys with cold water.
    After a while another monkey makes an attempt with same result — all the monkeys are sprayed with cold water. Pretty soon when another monkey tries to climb the stairs, the other monkeys will try to prevent it.
    Now, put the cold water away.
    Remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one. The new monkey sees the banana and attempts to climb the stairs. To his shock, all of the other monkeys beat the crap out of him.
    After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs he will be assaulted.
    Next, remove another of the original five monkeys, replacing it with a new one.
    The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous newcomer takes part in the punishment — with enthusiasm — because he is now part of the “team.”
    Then, replace a third original monkey with a new one, followed by the fourth, then the fifth. Every time the newest monkey takes to the stairs, he is attacked.
    Now, the monkeys that are beating him up have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs. Neither do they know why they are participating in the beating of the newest monkey.
    Finally, having replaced all of the original monkeys, none of the remaining monkeys will have ever been sprayed with cold water. Nevertheless, not one of the monkeys will try to climb the stairway for the banana.
    Why, you ask? Because in their minds, that is the way it has always been!

This, my friends, is how the House and Senate operates… and this is why, from time to time:

ALL of the monkeys need to be REPLACED AT THE SAME TIME !

My political, but Bi Partisan, commentary of the day.

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

Gowolves
    Participant

Thanks bill. I like that. I just got into skeet shooting a couple years ago. Bought my first 12 gauge shot gun. Bought a used a Beretta over under. Got a great deal. Hope to do some dove hunting soon.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

@MrStick (in 3 words or less)…

#MonkeySee #MonkeyDo #STATEMENT

just saying….

redcanine
    Participant

Between the NFL HOF induction game and the Rory McAroni commercial, they’ve worn out that “Hall of Fame” song. I’m dead sick of it!

highstick
    Participant

OK… Labor Day is less than a month away…<br>
    …and, among other things, that means some of us might go Dove Hunting…

So I was thinking… some of you guys might get a BIG BANG out of this…<br>
    These guys did!

Wear your hard hats!

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Ya’ll watch these guys make a #STATEMENT…
    … cause this is how you do it!

… just saying…

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Although… the Football gurus are backing to posting regularly on SFN…
    ( Only two weeks left to KICKOFF — WOOOOO-HOOOOO! — GO PACK! ),

it’s still summer down here at the beach, even though this weeks feels more like September than August.

Anyway…. The guy in this video has discovered what’s it like to hang around with sheep, who by their nature, are untrustworthy… something we all already knew….

This Ram ain’t blue… but what’s the difference… a sheep is a sheep.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Yep, looks like this thread is limping to the barn.

But we must address this….

pakfanistan
    Participant

First pitches are a goldmine of comedy. Seems like someone would take 10 minutes to figure out the mechanics of throwing before walking out there and chucking it in the dirt, or worse. But if they did, youtube wouldn’t be nearly as entertaining.

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 295 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.