Summer doldrums, shooting the sh1t

Home Forums StateFans Non Sports Talk Summer doldrums, shooting the sh1t

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 295 total)
  • Author
    packplantpath
    Participant

Aight, bill, now we are getting into details I’m uncertain about. My understanding, may be nonsense, but whatever, is that smoke flavor can accumulate the entire cook. BUT, the nice pink smoke ring penetration stops after a few hours since the proper components for the chemical reaction either denature or run out.

BUt, I’ve never had one that I thought had too much smoke, unless it was just billowing white smoke during the cook. With good, clean translucent smoke, I don’t think you can over smoke.

I’m also not on this new bandwagon that goes super low and super slow. For me, 8-10 hours is more than enough for a boston butt. I haven’t made up my mind on brisket yet, but since it isn’t pork, it isn’t bbq and isn’t germane to the conversation. Still, tasty stuff, and I haven’t fully mastered that one yet.

Some folks go nuts claiming 20 hour boston butt cooks and I think they wasted about 10 hours and need to turn the heat up. Some folks like to wrap in foil and cook to finish, but if I want something steamed, I’ll eat broccoli. But I do all my (pork, even ribs) cooks at 250, and don’t fret over it if it creeps up to 275 every once in a while. As long as it is tender and the skin gets crispy and the fat renders to a nice crisp, I don’t care. I’m all about the outcome. Technique matters, but comes secondary to tender and taste.

TheCOWDOG

My Farmer John, 3P. Whattup?

I screwed up this year and got creative with ground oyster shells for the tomatoes, no lime.

Everything was looking real good,with many fat green ones…until…I noticed the dreaded brown spot on the bottom of a couple.

Ha.I found some old calcium pills and dissolved ’em. Been spraying foilage since Monday.

I didn’t get any Ladybugs this year, and sure as sh#t, my Bells got nearly decimated in an aphid attack wave.

I blame it all on the cold weather induced, late start. 🙂

highstick
    Participant

I blame all my gardening problems this year on wabbits and weather…I want a Cherokee Purple so bad!!

The more I listen, the more I think “us Q cookers ain’t never gonna agree on anything” when it relates to cooking Q. And probably none of us can do it as good as “some old deceased fellers in Eastern NC that I used to know that would cook that stuff all day long and have it ready with a cold beer about 5:30.”

I have a friend who makes this big deal about his “secret family ingredient in his Q sauce”…Yea, right, like that’s BS…I’ve got one or two or three myself…I just don’t tell you which one and usually it’s inconsequential cause it cooks off and you never taste it…like a bottle of Blenheim ginger ale in the sauce…ooops…I slipped up…

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

3P…. only two rules that cannot be broken with that time/temperature function…
    1. it’s GOTT to pull apart easily…
    2. Absolutely NO Black on the outside…

After that… most anything will work… if you GOTT the time … use it; if you don’t… dontworryaboutit…

Twenty hours is BS….

I mention that NO Black rule mostly because I had the occasion to be part of a local BBQ benefit/sale recently… pig was cooked by one of the best known BBQers in town… He and his crew chopped all of it except five butts. When we sold out… I chopped those… Everyone of them had BLACK on the outside.

What else would one expect from a guy that “cooks with gas” ?

——————–

Mr. Dog… they used to sell quart bottles of liquid calcium carbonate at the Farmers Supply for ‘mater blossom rot… works like a charm with two applications…

I needed to do that one time ( yep.. it was a wet spring that year ) and had 3/4 of my sprayer still full of mix when I finished with my ‘maters… so I “decided” in a flash of brilliance to use that “Calcium Carbonate” up on four rows of peanuts I had planted beside my ‘maters….

Those Peanuts looked like Soybeans by the middle of August… touching in the middle of the rows… Made plenty of nuts too… on Piedmont Red Clay.

That’s some Good Stuff!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    BJD95
    Keymaster

That outdoor cat will end all of your (and your neighbors’) wabbit problems.

Gowolves
    Participant

I just use my 22.5 charcoal Weber grill for all my smoking. I have thought about buying a smoker and I might one day but I can do it all on my current set up. I just bank the coals(or lump coal) to one side. I put the wood chips in a tin foil wrap and set right on the edge of the coals. I put a oven temp guide right on the grates. When I put the top on the grill I make sure that the vent is over the meat. Cooking indirectly obviously. That way the smoke is drawn across whatever you are cooking. I have done a whole chicken with a rub and baby back ribs. Add coal as needed as temp begins to drop at some point. I try to keep it between 210 and 225.

Gowolves
    Participant

Redcanine,

Here is why you should change your hierarchy of needs. Some people still dump chemicals and used oil down the drains. That stuff ends up somewhere. Hell even cooking grease. You do like drinking water, right? If this salamander cannot survive do you think we will be able to reverse the damage man has done to kill it?

http://www.wral.com/researchers-try-to-save-huge-us-salamander/13800395/

packplantpath
    Participant

Where are you guys getting the lump charcoal? The stuff I picked up last time is tree branches and tiny bits. Super irritating.

Royal Oak is decent. Better than cowboy brand, IMO. Royal Oak can be found most big box stores and home improvements. Look for the red bag.

I haven’t bought any in a few years though. The ceramic cookers don’t use much and I stocked up last time I bought any.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Redcanine,

Here is why you should change your hierarchy of needs. Some people still dump chemicals and used oil down the drains. That stuff ends up somewhere. Hell even cooking grease. You do like drinking water, right? If this salamander cannot survive do you think we will be able to reverse the damage man has done to kill it?

http://www.wral.com/researchers-try-to-save-huge-us-salamander/13800395/

It’s called the tragedy of the commons.

redcanine
    Participant

Are we assuming that global warming caused the salamander to vomit in our water? Or was it caused by bacon grease and Windex bottles?

We can’t cap and trade the whole kitchen.

Gowolves
    Participant

I agree that is a different situation.

How about this in college I was required to do a paper on a issue facing the worlds oceans. I chose the bleaching of the worlds reefs. The research has been proven the oceans are warming at a rate that turns ocean reefs white. It destroys them. Turns them white like the description suggests. It only takes a half a degree or more over time to start this process. It has an effect on the whole food chain. So it affects the tuna and other fish we eat. The process can be reversed by getting the temps down. Part of this problem is caused by the destruction of the ozone layer that is being depleted. The suns rays are not filtered enough in the shallow waters that then reach the reefs. Combine with the temps rising it destroys the reef ecosystems.

TheCOWDOG

I’ll be a son of bitch!

Gowolves is a tree huggin’, salamander lovin’, PC, Obama freakin’ pinko Lefty.

How you feel ’bout killer cats for the garden, G’w?

🙂

highstick
    Participant

Gowolves…that’s generally what I’ve been doing with the same setup…seems like it takes a long long time though…I’ve been pulling off after a reasonable time with the smoke, put it in a big crock pot and when it’s done, it falls off the bone beautifully.

I know the crock pot or wrapping in foil turns some people off, but it really does work.

highstick
    Participant

Shouldn’t all of this global warming stuff be directed towards China and developing nations? May be true, but this freakin’ country can’t fix immigration let alone what happens in China???

Gowolves
    Participant

CD, now that’s funny. Actually that’s pretty far from who I am but I love the outdoors whenever I can. Whether it’s fishing or hunting. I just want my kids to enjoy it.

Gowolves
    Participant

Cats in the garden is a perfect solution in my book. Or my .410 which ever works best.

packplantpath
    Participant

Shouldn’t all of this global warming stuff be directed towards China and developing nations? May be true, but this freakin’ country can’t fix immigration let alone what happens in China???

Interestingly, as of last year (I think) the US was meeting targets of the Kyoto treaty (that we didn’t sign). I think these were single year targets, not the whole time period target.

Why? A recession and fracking natural gas.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Cats in the garden is a perfect solution in my book. Or my .410 which ever works best.

I’m a city boy now, the cops are probably going to show up if I start popping off rounds. I have thought about getting a slingshot…

BJD95
    Keymaster

You really do the Lord’s work with an outdoor cat. They get the job done, while satisfying all their needs (they value territory, generally like being near people, and LOVE to kill).

They’re usually pretty cool with dogs, too. Provided you have the dog first (the cat will respect its existing territorial rights). Cats will often befriend dogs, or at least tolerate them as only the second other species (beyond humans) that they respect.

packplantpath
    Participant

Cats will often befriend dogs, or at least tolerate them as only the second other species (beyond humans) that they respect.

Cats respect humans? Dubious at best!

Fastback68
    Participant

Fair chase – stick and string or slingshot. Easy to clean, tastes like chicken. IMO, dove, smoked wild turkey breast or elk are the best.

TheCOWDOG

I’m thinkin’ that the only meat I’ve ever regretted via smoke, is lamb. Complete alteration of taste to one of my faves.

Duck is awesome in light smoke. I’ll definitely report back on the goose. Hard to imagine that I have never done it.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Cats respect humans? Dubious at best!

In my experience….much like sociopaths respect other humans.

If they were bigger and/or had opposable thumbs, we’d be toast. As they are, they’re interesting to observe, and even dare I say, fun.

And they do get the job done.

TheCOWDOG

Oh yes. Interestingly enough, while observing the smallish Eastern Cougars over in Asheboro last week, all the ladies and wee ones were all fawning over these cats with paws the size of Everlast gloves.

I couldn’t bring myself to relate stories from my California hills days.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I read somewhere that cats view humans as large, non-hostile cats. My own observation is that they also find us slightly mentally challenged (as in “I showed you to how to kill rabbits, not only do you not learn to kill your own, but don’t even eat the nice fresh meat I leave on the doorstep? WTF?”). With the opposable thumbs, I think they would keep us and canines around as pets and/or second-class citizens, allowed to exist as long as we do their bidding and don’t piss them off.

Or like with large cats in the canyons now…don’t invade their territory.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 295 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.