Staats Battle late 3 leads Pack past

Home Forums All StateFansNation Staats Battle late 3 leads Pack past

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 155 total)
  • Author
    redwolf87
    Participant

Having said that–finding a way to keep that defensive intensity up for at least 35 minutes (and preferably 40) would move the ceiling for this team very, very high.

Spike
    Participant

I didn’t get to see the game. Did Gott start the seniors?

PapaJohn
    Participant

“Staats Battle late 3 leads Pack past Cuse”

Brilliant! That is the grand prize winner for best title for a post all season.

The team played very well today. It was a joy to watch. And clearly, there is still PLENTY of room for growth. The bigs had several opportunities at point blank shots of which they did not take advantage.

Looking back at the preseason discussions, I think a 10 win ACC season and a forth consecutive NCAAT invite likely, we should be very pleased.

And interestingly, as radio pointed out, Gott beat all four of the ACC Hall of Fame coaches this year.

It’s all icing from here.

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

ESPN, with their usual cheap shots in their post game article:

Many N.C. State fans stopped their “Wolf! Pack!” chant during Syracuse’s starting lineups long enough to strongly boo Boeheim when he was introduced prior to the game.

Then others sang the chorus from the Village People’s song “YMCA” during Syracuse’s early possessions. It was a reference to some of the violations outlined by the NCAA, notably that a booster had provided more than $8,000 in cash to three football and two men’s basketball players for volunteering at a local YMCA.

First of all, what good ACC team comes to the PNC and doesn’t have the head coach get some heat during introductions. Would that have happened at Clemson, or VT, or UVA? I think we know the answer to that. Does it happen in Raleigh for Wake Forest, or Clemson, or FSU? Sure. It’s a conference game. It’s not supposed to be a Lollipop and Sunshine convention for the visiting coach or his players.

Secondly, as far as I am concerned, the “YMCA” chant was witty. Duke’s kids would have had that, and probably a couple of other chants that were event more grating on the Syracuse players’ nerves.

But…ESPN has to fit their pre-defined narrative. And people wonder why so many hate the four letter network with a purple passion.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Alpha, that story was initially a separate article posted during the game. Like you, I’m not sure what the point was/is. It’s certainly not the first time JB has been booed, and the YMCA song is funny as hell. I don’t think either qualifies as taunting. If it does, as you alluded to, there would be an article accompanying every Dook game.

Here’s the real narrative from CBS/Palm: “The Wolfpack secured a spot in the NCAA tournament Saturday with a comfortable 71-57 win over Syracuse in the final game of the season for the Orange. NC State should be impervious to even a bad loss now.”

Texpack
    Participant

ESPN, with their usual cheap shots in their post game article

They had that article posted at halftime, when I went looking for a VT vs Da U score. They probably wrote it yesterday.

TheCOWDOG

Alpha…become one with it.

When State is cheap-shot in that kinda fashion, it means we’re all doin’ somethin’ good.

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

FWIW, the ESPN article was written by UNC grad and noted homer CL Brown.

What. A. Putz.

primacyone
    Participant

How much do you like these Freshman. Wow. They are sophomores now. And most likely all 4 year players. Gott to like lady years Freshnan at this point as well.

That was one of my favorite Wolfpack games ever. It was awesome.

We gott us a team right now. And guess what, Trevor and Cat going to be back next year. So happy they found away to fit in together versus fit out individually.

ILPackfan
    Participant

Still some basketball left in this season, thankfully. Could this team be frustratingly inconsistent at times? Heck yes. On the other hand, I’m not sure I expected a winning conference record after losing TJ Warren to the NBA last year. Good job to the Pack for finishing strong at the end. Hope they’re playing deep into both the ACC and NCAA tourneys.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I didn’t get to see the game. Did Gott start the seniors?

Negative. Turner started, Dez came in for a couple of minutes in the first half, and Staats closed it out.

tractor57
    Participant

I’ve never really liked Boeheim although over the years he has coached well. The comment about Jordan if taken only to mean in college has some merit but they played very different roles. Of course as a pro there is no comparison.

I saw a very good basketball game today better from the Pack so they won. Seems things are falling into place for tourney season which seems to be Gott’s MO. I thought the defense was very solid and even Turner was playing better on D (but part of that could have been match ups). Cat was spot on and I do think his efforts both on offense and defense were the base everything else built on. Anya’s interior defense was much better today. In fact seemed everybody has been playing at an elevated level on defense of late and that will help carry a team over some rough spots offensively.

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

I said late last year that this would be an up and down team, one that would surprise and sorely disappoint…but also one that would be pretty good come February. Looks like I was right.

That wasn’t because I am some kind of soothsayer, but instead because we’d be working in Lacey and would need to see talent from the freshmen, as well as growth from the returning sophomores. That all happened…and we got a pretty damned good defense as the year went on.

Barber’s February should serve as a revelation not only for this team, but also for him. He’s had the D chops since he got here. He’s struggled running the point and scoring, but he’s picked up the distribution and he’s definitely a threat penetrating or going into the paint.

Anya is turning into the player we thought he could be last year when we heard he’d lost a lot of weight. He still needs to pick up some conditioning, but as it is right now, the kid’s pretty damned good.

Abu has easily been the best of the freshmen, which surprises me a little…I thought both Martin twins would be the ones who presented the biggest threat to the opposition. They’ve both got some work to do.

Coaching wise, I think Gottfried has taken it up a notch too.

All in all, our program has exceeded expectations and is going into the post-season going in the right direction. If they ever put a whole game together like the second half against Clemson or against Syracuse, they can beat anyone not named Kentucky.

Let’s go to GSO, get off of the 8/9 seed and take our chances. I think that this is a Sweet 16 quality squad right now, but they cannot afford any let down.

blpack
    Participant

Great headline SFN! Nice to win comfortably today. On to Greensboro!

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Why yes, Espn Bubble Watch, I agree!

It’s time to lock up NC State. The Wolfpack could have gotten the job done earlier if they hadn’t lost at Boston College on Feb. 28. Oh, well. That loss at BC is the lone blemish of NC State’s final six games, when it went 5-1, knocked off Louisville and North Carolina on the road, and closed the regular-season with back-to-back wins over Clemson and Syracuse. (Saturday’s win over the Orange even featured a “YMCA” chant at Jim Boeheim, which, come on: That’s pretty funny.) Add the Jan. 11 home win over Duke, and no ostensible bubble team can come close to competing with the Pack for impressive victories. Throw in the top-30 nonconference schedule and top-10 overall schedule mark, and whatever flaws this 19-12 regular season might have undoubtedly will be outweighed by its strengths on Selection Sunday, regardless of what happens in the interim.

choppack1
    Participant

Abu’s emergence has been nice.

Gott’s actually coached his arse off much of the season. The HC gets the credit and the blame – and tonight, he’s certainly earned a celebration. These last 2 games, the team showed a toughness that will serve them well against decent opponents.

I didn’t know we stood to face the Tigers again. Hopefully, they won’t start that Devoe kid, he was amazing the last few minutes of our last game. (Luckily, he was pretty much the only offense they had the entire second half.)

BTW – the team has played absolutely incredible defense 3 of the last 4 games.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Beat me to it Comrade76! Note that Brennan has a different take on the YMCA chant…

BJD95
    Keymaster

I thought the 3-way tiebreak got us Pitt, not the Tiggs??

Rick
    Keymaster

Great win and great end of season run. Gott did coach his rear off

Charley2013
    Participant

I am very impressed by this team and coaching staff, shook off a mid-late season slump to finish five out of six and beat some really good teams. Cat Barber has gone from a below average point guard to one of the best in the conference. Depending on the seeding these guys could make a serious run in the tourney…..well done!

BJD95
    Keymaster

Here is what I HOPE is the case, and time will tell. This team, and hopefully future teams, lacks the dysfunction of Seasons 2 and 3 and will be dangerous in the tourney itself. THAT will validate Gott’s V-like methodology of building toward March, as agonizing as that roller coaster might be.

Coach Abatemarco
    Participant

I love dan bonner by the way. Good things happen whenever he calls our games. I once as a young man asked him for his autograph in the tight bathrooms at reynolds and he signed my nc state ticket. I still have it somewhere with other sports treasures. So proud of our team and coaching staff today. This will hopefully be a special couple of weeks coming up.

Die hard state fan from the crystal coast!

wufpup76
    Keymaster

I once as a young man asked him for his autograph in the tight bathrooms at reynolds and he signed my nc state ticket.

“I PEED BESIDE DAN BONNER … AND GOT HIS AUTOGRAPH!”

‘That’s an excellent flowing stream, young man.”

choppack1
    Participant

Bjd – I think v’s rep for that was overrated. The 83 team went 8-6 with the whit injury. He did go to the tourney one year with a 4-10 record but that was solely because we won the ACC. (How many years in his tenure were we bubble teams?)

I like gott but he is no v. Brilliant game coach. Gott talks about swagger – v certainly had it.

choppack1
    Participant

Just looked at v’s ACC record. His first 4 years he was 23-33 in conference…. He had 2 4-10 seasons. His next 5 years (when his teams were NCAA eligible) he went 40-31…after his first 4 years he was on the bubble once.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 155 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.