Staats Battle late 3 leads Pack past

Home Forums All StateFansNation Staats Battle late 3 leads Pack past

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 155 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

State pulled away on a 27-2 run and (likely) secured its NCAAT bid with a 71-57 win over Syracuse. State will be the seven-seed and play Florida State
    [See the full post at: Staats Battle late 3 leads Pack past]

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Yep… and I GOTT a Wolfpack Sports Trivia question…

How many games in a row has BJ ANYA played without getting in foul trouble and how many minutes did he average during those games?

—————-

ONE Turnover by ANTHONY today against a strong Orange backcourt…

Lacey’s scoring in the first half…
    Turner’s 5 BANGS in the second half…

were also BIG contributions to the win.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    JeremyH
    Participant

I don’t recall seeing this level of solid interior defense without fouling for the pack, in um, at least ten years. This wasn’t a game, it was a coming out party, or a statement game.

choppack1
    Participant

Great game. The strategy was great – they looked like they were having fun, and the team played hard and smart. I liked how we attacked the full court press when they threw it at us.

Solid season – I’d love to have one more win – which could ultimately cost us a tourney title this year or deaden our legs for the NCAA or in the worst scenario – both.

Still, I love that the staff and kids didn’t quit. I loved how they have seemingly found a love for defense. Having Anya in the middle makes all the difference in the world, and Martin is the best pound for pound rebounder I’ve seen in my lifetime for the wolfpack at this stage in his career. He’s had a lot of huge defensive rebounds for this team.

Great game and a fantastic way to finish up the regular season. This should clinch our NCAA bid, but a win vs. FSU will make it totally academic even if carnage erupts in the conference tournaments.

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

Boeheim skipped the post-game presser and released this instead:

choppack1
    Participant

Just for anxiety’s sake (and why I’m saying it’s semi important for us to win Wednesday) – before the BC game, our RPI was 39 – after it was 55. I don’t think a loss to FSU will drop us that far, but we’ve only got 8 of those spots back after Clemson. This win today in all likelihood gets into the Top 45…with all of our factors – good wins, SOS, playing well late – I think it’s highly likely we still get a bid even with a loss, but I’d much rather be playing in a way so we avoid the first four AND the dreaded 8/9 seed. Ironically, that FSU win I’m hoping for, followed by a loss to Duke may just give us the seed I want to avoid most. However, we beat FSU AND Duke, and I think we’re a 7 – assuming we don’t lose to some scrub Friday in the tourney.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

And just what is Johnny Swofford gonna do about that… Ask for the Brontosuarus Norte’s resignation?

doug
    Participant

Way to go PACK. Staats Hits 50 percent.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Bill, re: Anya, I was going to post during the game that it seems like the “book” on BJ has been edited. He has improved his positioning and timing, but I think he was unfairly called for fouls earlier this year. Now he’s getting the benefit of the doubt in the positive direction.

Khan
    Participant

My pregame prediction was categorically wrong. I’m glad about that. Two very important wins in a row, most certainly an anomalous development.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Ply… you right about the book on ANYA… opposing coaches will spend all summer trying to figure what to do about him next season.

Plus BJ has learned to pace himself and play under control for 30 minutes or better…. and is getting plenty of help from his teammates so he’s learned he ain’t GOTT to do it all by himself.

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

NC State (No. 7 seed) will face the No. 10 seed at 7 p.m. on Wednesday.

Winner will play No. 2 seed Duke at 7 p.m. on Thursday.

Texpack
    Participant

Anya has also benefitted from Abu and Frenchie playing solid which allows him to stay with his man until some unwise perimeter guy provides the meat for a basketball sandwich.

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

Cat struggled at times this year as a PG, but on defense he’s been money all year. Now that he’s stepped up his offensive game, he’s turning into one of the better all-around point guards in the ACC. By this time next year, it may well be that he’s one of the best PG’s in the country.

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

Anya has also benefitted from Abu and Frenchie playing solid which allows him to stay with his man until some unwise perimeter guy provides the meat for a basketball sandwich.

TEAM defense, that. Strength at nearly all positions. Would love to see Cat-quality out of the wing guard, because if we had it we could be a shutdown D like UVA.

Texpack
    Participant

So where’s the rocket scientist who kept saying Cat needs to be on the bench? Haven’t heard from him in a while.

Mainly because Cat is playing much better. He is a different player from the one people wanted to bench. He has been a joy to watch the last month or so. The offensive aggression makes us a lot better team. It would be interesting to know what made the light go on.

Pack1969E
    Participant

I really enjoyed most of your comments, and I really liked today’s performance. All season long I have felt like a Pro Duncan; today Gott changed that feeling for me.

freshmanin83
    Participant

It would be interesting to know what made the light go on.

Does the head coach get the credit? If the HC is going to be held responsible for the bad things the team does is he also responsible when things go well.

MrPlywood
    Participant
    MrPlywood
    Participant

Excellent point.

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

Keep your eyes on the late game tonight, fellows, it affects us: if Clemson wins over Notre Dame, Florida State is the No. 10 seed. If Clemson loses, Pitt will be the No. 10 seed.

Texpack
    Participant

Texpack wrote:

It would be interesting to know what made the light go on.

Here you go.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/103462/focused-anthony-barber-keeping-wolfpack-a-cut-above

Gracias. I generally avoid ESPN.COM

pakfanistan
    Participant

AM defense, that. Strength at nearly all positions. Would love to see Cat-quality out of the wing guard, because if we had it we could be a shutdown D like UVA.

You’d be in the crazy house if you’d said that a month ago.

redwolf87
    Participant

Jim Boeheim has proven what we all have suspected for years–that he is classless. On top of that, he’s proven that he’s a coward.

The arrogance, snide comments everybody insisted on taking as “humor”–whatever.

When I was at State, my roommates and I recorded the 1984 ESPN College Basketball Preview show (I was in one of the dorms that had cable, which pretty much narrows down where I was living on-campus) and they had a segment with Boeheim. He said that Michael Jordan was a “good player” but he felt that Pearl Washington did much more for his team than Jordan.

From that day, I thought the man was an idiot. Now he’s a convicted crook on top of it (without jail time).

Still got the VHS tape somewhere, by the way.

TheCOWDOG

2 things of note:

I picked a good one to be at.

Gottfried coached his ass off.

I saw Boeheim play many times as a kid…my old man liked him…he runs my pop’s match-up out of a 2-3, I am stuck with him.

Barber plays with a switchblade in one sock, an oyster knife in the other.

Syracuse peeps were just fine on the smoking veranda

I still get a kick out of you young fatalists, but not so much from young dickheads

I reaquainted with Dan Bonner today. Take note young dickheads

Good day today. Forgot what that 2nd thing to note was

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 155 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.