NC Political Predictions

Home Forums StateFans Non Sports Talk NC Political Predictions

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 511 total)
  • Author
    tractor57
    Participant

I’m sure the accuracy of the polls was greatly influenced by people like me who will not answer ANY poll. I’m also quite sure that a lot of the highly trumpeted polls were nothing more than spin. Those two things really affect the accuracy of the data.

Adventuroo
    Participant

The past few days have been an interesting study in “Social Media Politics”. I was at the Ga Southern game in the PNC last night and saw our fans honor a Cancer Survivor that has numerous “hostile duty tours”. I was never more proud of NCSU and the patriotism of our fans (adopted and/or alumni).

I also noted the following

https://leadership.ncsu.edu/about/chancellor/letters/responding-to-the-election/

We have set up “grief counseling” sessions on Campus. WRAL’s 11:00 news had more “Breaking News” (ironically, BoB Violence), but also had videos of the “Trump” repudiation on the NCSU Campus. That bothers me and I have expressed concerns with Dr. Woodson, the NCSU BOT and also Mrs. Spellings.

I kidded my liberal son that it would FAR safer, on Friday, for a Duke supporter to be on the Chapel Hill campus than a Trump supporter….and the odds of the Trump supporter’s car being vandalized were about 50 times as great as a car with a Duke sticker.

I also appreciate the comments from many others, especially Yogi….

I will share one little conversation that, to me, was quite insightful. I rent a storage space from a local company. He has a large complex of units as well as auto, RV, boat, etc. spaces. I keep my motor home there. He is an ardent NCSU supporter. Old school….has grown the business into a very thriving operation. He has land holdings that Trump would be envious of.

The owner is a very passionate NCSU supporter…..Red PU and all. He is down to earth and plain spoken. I don’t think he has a formal degree, other than HS. He still drives a tractor and does a lot of the on site maintenance.

He told me that he owned a “little grill” and that its customers were basically “rural Wake County”. He has had it for many years. The mood and tone of this election was totally different from any that he had ever seen. Politics was rarely discussed. More “joe six pack” topics as HS sports, professional sports, college sports and such….

This year, the mood was different and it started about 18 months or so ago. He did not say WHAT event or comments triggered it, but many of his patrons had never (some in their late 50’s) bothered to register and vote. Over the course of time, they were aware of the “machine” that was barnstorming NC and also started to “listen up” to both sides. As a result, they, the patrons became more aware and also more supportive of Trump.

These are folks that work for a living. They have coworkers that are of all races or ethnicity. They saw the organization or the “brain washing” first hand. Political rallies on Sunday Morning at churches…..comments from Hispanic workers on how they, not citizens, COULD vote without any fear or deportation or repercussions…..the whole gambit.

SO, without a “community organizer” to GUIDE THEM, they listened to the “Your VOTE matters” theme….and did just that….

I may have stated here that I do my own personal “poll” while driving and we often visit many states on our annual motor home trip….I also watch the bumper stickers on cars in traffic….

Our neighborhood had a NC Council of State member. He passed away. But, before his death and after, his widow would host several fund raisers. Each election cycle (not just presidential), there would be signs supporting the national, state and local candidates. TRUMP and ROMNEY were NOT in that layout. This year, NOTHING….NADA a fund raiser or a sign. In 2008, we had a much heavier mix of Obama (but we had MORE Clinton until she lost in the primary) signs in the neighborhood than McCain. In 2012, it was still more Obama, but some who went “All OUT” in 2008, were NOT as blatant.

This year, NARY an HRC….several local Democratic candidates were being touted. We have a few Trump….but they were close to the house. The same thing was true in my “traffic” polls…..and also driving around Raleigh. Deborah Ross is going to have to do a LOT of cleanup as SHE outpaced everyone.

One person on election night decried the pending “doom” as a WHITE LASH. Funny, when a bloc of voters is told HOW to vote….that is their RIGHT to express solidarity (Females, Hispanics, Afro-Americans, LBGTQ, etc.). No ONE (Ok, maybe David Duke did it) TOLD the White Voters to “VOTE TRUMP”. But, in this Pundit’s narrow view, it was an affront for the electorate to “back” or vote for one Candidate….despite the lack of evidence of any one every telling a certain “race, creed, color or sexual orientation” to VOTE FOR TRUMP. Now WHO is the REAL person whose label ends in “IST”

Also, back on point, my discussion with the storage owner wandered around to “Basket of Deplorables” and “tired of paying taxes for federal and state subsidies for folks that WILL NOT WORK”….

Yogi will have to expound here….but it seems to me that the American Taxpayer voted in Trump. They realized, after 8 years of LACK OF ECONOMIC GROWTH and countless other policies that promoted an “agenda” aimed at so many targets and also figuring out that MORE FOLKS are Retiring or leaving the Work Force and Fewer Folks are Employed (or willing to be Employed)…

The future of their families and the “Fed UP” issues caused them to go out and register their opinions.

NOW, the PAC’s are backing the protesters…..YES, most of the folks are probably the same ones that will respond to a Pavlovian “we gonna protest” social media campaign. What is interesting, if I read the articles correctly, is that the “organizers” of such have a political agenda…and were the MAIN supporters of HRC.

End of Rant….on to Syracuse….

Adventuroo
    Participant

Not to dominate this….but I often “read” to wake up my brain in the AM. An old habit from when I was working….

I do RECOMMEND THIS….

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/a-series-of-strategic-mistakes-likely-sealed-clintons-fate/2016/11/11/82f3fcc0-a840-11e6-ba59-a7d93165c6d4_story.html

When you start the article….there is a graphic of “snowflakes” that you can click on…Follow it….then come back to the article. There are other graphics that, very insightfully to me the amateur, what happened….

I think it was actually written by Yogi….if NOT, someone has been hacking his info. It is pretty straight forward.

Yogi, I am very impressed with your insight….and your professionalism…

GOOD comment and obviously GOOD CALL…

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

idk…
    sh#t is still out of control…

GOP gets wonderful, awful idea on Supreme Court

NCGOP attorney demands recount after Durham voting machine error

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    YogiNC
    Participant

Thanks so much Roo for your kind words.

As for specific data on the election there is a great deal still being analyzed Roo, but I can say this, Trump’s numbers came from 3 groups, all 3 would be considered old time voters, not old timers mind you. These were people who who are tired of others not even attempting to pull their weight in the world OR want to horn in one an “inside” deal without putting in the chips necessary to be in on the deal. It’s called fairness. Hillary was seen by this group as someone who really didn’t “EARN IT” as the old commercial went. AND she was considered as someone who committed high crimes and everyone who should have been taking her to task winked and elbowed. Trust me on that one. The question for those who answered that she should have been charged felt she should have already been in the pokey. Even those who claimed they were voting for her said she dodged a bullet and may not be so lucky when all is said and done. Lastly, there were the Demos who were fed up with the Clintons. That group is larger than you think. MUCH larger, to the point the wheels could come off that Demo bandwagon in the future if the Duck does what he said he’d do. The data is there. Just ask the New York Times, they are getting blistering letters from subscribers.

Smarter than the average bear

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^Yogi … it seems to me the larger question here is…

How can one successfully claim the title of representing “New America” when that person is forever locked in as a key player in “Old America”?

YogiNC
    Participant

NOPE, the mantra was “Make America Great AGAIN”. That rang true in one very important type of voter, the one who has been hurt the most by bad trade deals, loss of jobs security, and ObamaCare costs. Who did that hurt the most? Those who make the money that makes America work, the WORKING middle class. Job loss (I personally know that one, laid off after 18 years with a company, to send my job overseas), health care costs skyrocketing because the middle class gets no freebies, AND the perception, true or not, that illegal aliens are costing US, the United States taxpayers, a very high percentage of our taxes.

In short, the Duck, for all of his warts, appealed to one thing, Make America FAIR AGAIN. Over and over we heard that story more than any EXCEPT in the northeast and west coast. Look at the county by county results. Take away the top 30 metropolitan areas and Clinton got clobbered. Those areas alone were 80 some percent of her vote. Those areas (burbs included) gave her over 30 million votes. Throw California out and Trump beats her by 4 million in the popular vote. Hillary made one very fatal mistake amongst quite a few others, a bag of deplorables. The backlash from that one statement was heard over an over and it energized the opposition.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^I GOTT all that..
    but…

I was referring to Ms. Clinton….
    demographically speaking… yes it’s urban v. rural —
    Wayne County v. Wake County, with Johnson County splitting closely
    New America v. Old America.

New America has an economy — Old America does not.
    New America has more years of school — Old America has less.
    New America is geographically mobile — Old America is not.

But is there not a disconnect there… she claimed to represent the New America, but no one is more firmly cemented in the Washington Establishment (Old America) than she. She got 52% of the total women voting — that should have been 65%. Nor did she get the expected % of under 30 voters – none of whom gott laid off by recession or trade issues.
    ———————–

Better question…

How do your survey results explain the outrage over the election among the most passionate of her supporters?

What you see in the streets is largely manipulated by the Blue PACs to raise money for themselves. But on a private level, people are losing friends, families are fighting — lots of stupid, hurtful stuff is being said. All of that splits on the New America – Old America line, not so much on jobs, trade and the economy.

YogiNC
    Participant

BOTB, the under 30 were in two groups primarily. Bernie got one of those groups and they mostly saw Hillary as the enemy and wouldn’t vote for her. Those are the ones on the streets, and were disenfranchised. If you look at the demographics of the protesters it’s highly young and would seem to be mostly unemployed and urban. The Trump voters would have been just as upset if Hillary had won (evidenced by reaction in 2012) but would not dare to march or riot. As I write this it occurs to me one could draw parallels to the American Revolution with the conservatives being the loyalists. However, the problem with that is the original revolutionaries were demographically all over the place, young to old, rich to poor, and their common opposition was to an authority they felt was treating them unfairly (sound familiar?).

I’m a member of a church with a very large contingent of military and that fits me because that’s part of who I am. We’ve had an event going on this weekend and it’s funny to me some of the comments I’ve heard. Most know some of the things I do for a living now and when I asked for comments on supposition of current events after the election it was uncanny the responses I got. Mind you, I had a pretty good idea what would be said. Most are Trump supporters, I’d say 80 – 90% of the military are. Unscientific yes, but the mindset of who joins the military has not changed in over 200 years. My question to most was “If the protesters were to somehow attempt to overturn the election would you be able to take up arms against those who would defend the results by taking up arms”. Most said they would be joining in defending the election results. One was particularly pointed. He said “The results were determined in accordance with the constitution, I took an oath to defend the constitution, I will not follow orders of the commander in chief (Obama) if I cannot resolve those orders to be in accordance with the constitution”. One of the other guys standing there at the time emphatically said “EXACTLY!”. For the protesters it might be a good idea to “know your enemy” before they push past that imaginary line in the sand. Our surveys bore out some deep underlying fear that some could try to take actions that would undermine the results of the election if they were not willing to accept those results.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

thank you…

yes…qualitative, anecdotal research often tells us things quantitative research overlooks…

as for the protestors…

1. protesting is fun to them
    2. raw energy, not brains
    3. most can’t think pass next week, much less far enough into the future to plan a ‘revolution’
    4. they are being manipulated by older people with similar views or other purposes
    5. their attention spans are short
    6. the media will find something else to publish
    7. it will all be over by Friday

From another perspective, the people at large will NOT tolerate violence in the streets under any circumstances regardless of the merits of the protestors’ raison d’etre.

Frankly, I’m more concerned about those who support the protestors, but are NOT in the street.

pakfanistan
    Participant

That’s so heinously dismissive and derogatory toward the motivations and thoughts of tens of thousands of people it’s no wonder we elected Donald Trump.

YogiNC
    Participant

OK try this one on for size pak… sore LOSERS! CONSTITUTIONALLY Hillary LOST! End of sentence. How’s that for heinously dismissive and derogatory, because that’s exactly what I was going for.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Not your best effort if I’m honest.

Ironic that everybody is supposed to fall in line and go along to get along after 8 years of nonstop obstructionism.

McCallum
    Participant

Not your best effort if I’m honest.

Ironic that everybody is supposed to fall in line and go along to get along after 8 years of nonstop obstructionism.

Republics have built in political institutions for the very purpose of obstructing the gathering of powers to one political body or the other. Any president that would make the bankers whole on the dollar for the economic destruction they lobbied for in the first place (Commodities Modernization Act) should be roundly denied any extra power.

If the Democratic Party had something to offer beyond token civil rights edicts to smaller and smaller segments of the population then they might have retained power.

Just as the GOP caved to the ideology of market principles and American exceptionalism they were roundly rejected in the 2006 Congressional elections and the 2008 presidential election.

I expect, as they should, that the Democrats will use every constitutional device to deny the GOP. Anything that slows the gathering of power to D.C. is a positive thing.

McCallum

pakfanistan
    Participant

Trying to remember who signed TARP.

And Gramm-Leach-Bliley was a team effort.

Hope you like filibusters since Republicans are going to have all three branches of government here shortly.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

As McCallum rightly points out…

Both of the established political parties have major deficiencies.

These are entrenched to the point of in curability, which is why we have seen in two out of the last three elections the possible beginnings of “The Change Party”.

The missing ingredient for a successful realignment in my view is the inability of either side to go further and reach out to some of the people that they have more fundamental disagreements with.

As stated elsewhere, for the Democrats — they are running out of interest groups to appeal to.
    For the Republicans — their ‘principles’ are perceived by many as inflexible and tend to be exclusive, not inclusive.

What do ya’ll think would happen if Mr. Trump did not build the wall but granted amnesty and modified Obamacare instead of repealing it.

High risk you say… but that kind of leadership is exactly what might bring the middle of America together and work to most everybody’s benefit.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Damn, McCallum dropping straight wisdom in this thread! That was beautiful stated, my man. Couldn’t agree more.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Both of the established political parties have major deficiencies.

Agreed.

What do ya’ll think would happen if Mr. Trump did not build the wall but granted amnesty and modified Obamacare instead of repealing it.

High risk you say… but that kind of leadership is exactly what might bring the middle of America together and work to most everybody’s benefit.

I think that would be great, but Trump wouldn’t even have been nominated if he’d claimed that as an agenda. And making Steve Bannon part of the administration is not a good sign.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

paky…

it does appear from the early moves that Mr. Trump is paying back… not playing forward….

the hired men and women, so far, are all “dividers”, not “gatherers”…
    of them… Pence is the scariest to the “rest of America”.

It might be best to send him to the Blair House and give him the traditional Veep position… political oblivion.

YogiNC
    Participant

BOTB, to the ones who elected Trump a large portion of them were electing Pence as much as Trump. The thought process on him was he is a Reagan Republican. Say what you want but he does bring some stability to Trump in the eyes of many. The word from many was they wished he was at the top of the ticket.

Paky, quite honestly I wasn’t going for anything except to say for those of us who have suffered through 8 long years of someone who REFUSED to seek middle ground with ANYONE who did not agree with him I am glad Obummer is gone and that his mini female me is banished also. She had nothing to run on except to say she wasn’t Trump. That and the fact that she IS A FELON is why she did not get elected.

This was the election of “somebody else” and Trump happened to be it. She never offered anything in the form of change and most were tired of status quo. THAT is what all of the people who voted for Trump said almost word for word. That and ANYTHING is better than Hillary, ANYTHING. Not my words, DATA.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Yogi…. can you extrapolate your polling data and give us an estimate of what this does to the “numbers” ??

choppack1
    Participant

those of us who have suffered through 8 long years of someone who REFUSED to seek middle ground with ANYONE who did not agree with him

This. Nothing like being told we must compromise by those who have refused to do so and called folks names for last 8 years.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Nobody’s saying anybody “has to” compromise…

I’m just trying to figure out if there are good/ acceptable options…
    or do we ALL have to live thru what will come to known as…

“The Great Purge”
    or
    “The Great Cleansing”

depending on one’s perspective…

just remember, the effects will be same for everybody…
    “more severe economic hardships than any of us have ever seen”.

rthomas44
    Participant

I have a secret to tell all of you.
    The election is over! Now sit back and watch the sh&t storm. All of your BS is not withstanding.
    Brevity is the soul of wit.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

RT —
    we’ve been watching that sh#tshow, as you call it…
    in Rawlee for years…

not a damn thing “witty” ’bout it, sir…

You can do better than that.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 511 total)
  • The topic ‘NC Political Predictions’ is closed to new replies.