Men’s Basketball Player Turnover Under Mark Gottfried

Home Forums All StateFansNation Men’s Basketball Player Turnover Under Mark Gottfried

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 504 total)
  • Author
    Thinkpack17
    Participant

“Having to constantly pull a rabbit is not a way to build a top 25 program.”

Firing a coach after 1 bad season is not a way to build a top 25 program.

Rick
    Keymaster

“Having to constantly pull a rabbit is not a way to build a top 25 program.”

Her is not going to get fired but he is going to leave a mess for whoever replaces him.

choppack1
    Participant

Thinkpack – Abu may be back, but he obviously WANTS to leave. He is leaving if he is a first rounder or so he told gott who has been caught off-guard by 3 of the last 4 official defections. So, don’t think about this the way YOU want to see it. He wants to go – I imagine if a GM says the magic word – he is gone. I would be more confident if it was the NFL…but this is the NBA where executives like potential a heck of alot more than results.

What do you think Abu needs to know about what he needs to do to be a better prospect. It’s not exactly rocket science. Shouldn’t every player who averaged more than 13 points a game be throwing their hat in the ring by that logic?

You bring up Kentucky – of course they will because none of those guys want to go to college in the first place. Abu, OTOH, is incredibly intelligent – he’s a guy – whom in the right environment – probably wouldn’t be looking to leave at being the last pick in the first round.

Texpack
    Participant

In all of the transfer discussions that I’ve seen about Gott, I don’t ever recall anyone pointing out that Gott was himself a transfer iirc it was ORU to Alabama.

How do you think this sappers his attitudes about transfers? How do you think it shapes his approach to player retention?

Just something I pondered during the last 500m in the pool this afternoon.

Thinkpack17
    Participant

“It’s not exactly rocket science.”

Ahahahahahahaha!! No. It’s easy. Which is why teams scout players for years and have teams of people reponsible for their picks. People that travel to Latvia and Montenegro to review talent. People with dozens of years of knowledge in determining what skills a player requires to make it in the league. Why would Abu want to work out for them? Seriously?

“Abu, OTOH, is incredibly intelligent – he’s a guy – whom in the right environment – probably wouldn’t be looking to leave at being the last pick in the first round.”

Bullcrap. Unless your family is well off or you can play yourself into a lottery spot or maybe youre coming back to go to a final 4, if you are going in the first round…you go. Get your contract, make your money and earn you degree later. Btw I could go on and on why Abu is not an NBA talent right now but I’ll save that for another post.

Thinkpack17
    Participant

“Thinkpack – Abu may be back, but he obviously WANTS to leave.”

I’m sorry but I just can’t stop laughing at this. I know I’m being a douche but what 5 star recruit doesn’t want to be in the league as quick as possible. I mean…lol.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

You might want to save that comment and post it in response to someone says to fire Gott now.

TheCOWDOG

Va. You are behind the times.

Thinkpack17
    Participant

“You might want to save that comment and post it in response to someone says to fire Gott now.”

Is there a need to do that? It’s been said. It’s been said on this very thread. If you ain’t the hit dog, don’t holler.

choppack1
    Participant

Think pack – Abu wasn’t a 5 star recruit.

Again, he may not be drafted and he shouldn’t go pro. Those same scouts who have been traveling around to all places already have all the tape they need on him..but again, it just takes one and he’s gone. I said earlier it’s 50 / 50 …but I am a state fan, so those odds aren’t good.

What will be will be. Gott could turn it around. He may not. I am not going to laugh about it, it’s not funny. He doesn’t deserve to be fired. However, I doubt we win a title of go to final four with him.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

If it’s been said on this thread, then you should have quoted it. The thing that stands out to me on this thread is the expectation that Gott only has one year to turn it around. I don’t know if DY will move that quick or not.

I don’t want to watch another dumpster fire of a season and I don’t want to watch DY lead another coaching search. I think that puts me in a special kind of Purgatory.

Thinkpack17
    Participant

“Those same scouts who have been traveling around to all places already have all the tape they need on him…”

You’re completely missing the point. Execs don’t send prospects notes on those tapes. He will get feedback at this combine and EVERYONE will get tape on him and see him in person. Again…no reason for him to turn down that opportunity, even if he 100% plans on coming back.

Thinkpack17
    Participant

“If it’s been said on this thread, then you should have quoted it.”

If you are that curious you should read the thread.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

“If it’s been said on this thread, then you should have quoted it.”

If you are that curious you should read the thread.

I have and you still haven’t quoted anyone.

Thinkpack17
    Participant

Read better.

“I have read nothing about the Martin Brothers transferring. Is there confirmation on that, and if that is the case. GOTT needs to go.”

Thinkpack17
    Participant

“We have serious problems, and recruiting will get even worse now. Gott has to go, unless we want to continue being beat up by the blues (and stripes).”

Another one. *DJ Khaled voice*

I’m thinking of another quote but don’t feel like finding it.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I keep reading all these comments about building a top 25 program, and at this point it looks like the realistic goal ought to first be to try to get into the top 50. Just saying, we are a LONG way off from having that kind of program. We were close but the wheels have fallen off and we are starting from scratch.

And I read comments about the Martins going to a lesser program. It appears Georgetown is a likely destination. Is that really a lesser program? They had a better year than us this season. I guess I just don’t know what some of you are watching. What I saw was a complete trainwreck of a season followed by a mass exodus when that was the absolute last thing we could afford. We can hardly field a team. We’re looking at another terrible season if Gott can’t work some magic.

eas
    Participant

^^^ agree with Wulfpack and I’m normally a glass 1/2 full guy.

eas
    Participant

Since Gott was hired on 4/6/11…

ACC Standings:
    5th – 2012-13 (24-11 overall)
    7th – 2013-14 (22-14 overall)
    7th – 2014-15 (22-14 overall)
    13th – 2015-16 (16-17 overall)

Yes we all agree he is the best since V and he has had us dancing. We have have finished better with more of Sid’s recruits. 20 win seasons are great and so is going dancing . However, a consistent ACC record in just the top 6 or 7 will get you there most of the time. Get to a 1-6 team and we are good. For me personally I don’t like the NCAA dance as a bar for success. I want a solid ACC record that makes the NCAA tourney a normal stop.

Wufpacker
    Participant

If it’s been said on this thread, then you should have quoted it. The thing that stands out to me on this thread is the expectation that Gott only has one year to turn it around. I don’t know if DY will move that quick or not.

I don’t want to watch another dumpster fire of a season and I don’t want to watch DY lead another coaching search. I think that puts me in a special kind of Purgatory.

I mentioned one year to turn it around (though I don’t know if you’re necessarily referencing me) as what my msg would be to Gott if I was hypothetical AD. Like you, I don’t know if DY would move that quickly either, or how it would ultimately turn out if she did.

As far as the Purgatory of which you speak, I’m right there with ya FWIW. Hopefully Purgatory has room service and cable TV.

Thinkpack17
    Participant

Eas,

Not to be a stickler but wiki has our ACC finishes at 4th, 4th, 7th, 6th, 13th if that matters to you. The 2nd forth and 13th place finishes are the ones that bother me. I had a great time for the rest. Luckily skipped season tickets this year. I had no real reason why, time just snuck up on me. Like I said…lucky.

eas
    Participant

Thinkpack17,

Thanks for the clarification. I actually got my numbers from Wiki but I was in a mad rush before Church so I must have been off. Either way we could do better but the real question is CAN we do better?

choppack1
    Participant

Yep – and think – I think that’s where I am. Of course, I can handle a year lie this if we are confident that for every 5-13 season there’s a 13-5 season.

Unfortunately, I don’t have that confidence. Like I said, IMHO, the worst thing that can happen to our program next year is a bubble bid, 8-11 seed, 9-9 / 10-8 season.

For the sake of a unified fanbase – it would be nice if next year is a spectacular success.

ryebread
    Participant

Think: I’ll give you an easy one to quote. Fire Gott now. Year 2 was the mulligan. This ship has been taking on water ever since.

I realize you support Gott. That’s fine. HWSNBN had his vocal and adamant supports who saw the seeds of greatness being sown. Fowler had his defenders and excuse mongerers as well. Sid had some arguing for another year. I don’t think any of those defenders changed what ultimately needed to be done.

NC State isn’t doing anything this year. We’ll turn over some assistants (more instability). Gott defenders will be vindicated when DSJ, Dorn and Henderson offer enough to get us into the tournament next year. We’ll then have another mass exodus and will absolutely suck the following year. Maybe by then we’ll have Yow retired, or even the risk adverse power brokers will no longer be able to ignore it.

I’ve accepted that’s how this is going to play out. The best thing that happened to State in all of this is Arch signing an extension with Dayton. Hopefully he stays there and we have a shot when we finally wake up.

Thinkpack17
    Participant

Hey Va, here’s another one.^^^

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 504 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.