Men’s Basketball Player Turnover Under Mark Gottfried

Home Forums All StateFansNation Men’s Basketball Player Turnover Under Mark Gottfried

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 504 total)
  • Author
    Tau837
    Participant

If I’m the AD, I let Gott know what’s what. You have a year to show me you’re still the man for this job. Fix it, or I’ll fix it for you.

Agree, I think it has reached this point. My only concern there is, would we be willing to buy out Gott’s contract at the end of next season? Not sure how expensive that would be. (And when I say ‘we’ I suppose I really mean would DY?)

choppack1
    Participant

Think pack – this year is somewhat irrelevant. In essence, there are really 2 issues:

1. Have things fallen off so badly on the recruiting trail that we are in a nosedive in terms of personnel.

2. The more complex and difficult issue of what happens if gott recruits sufficient talent again but can get us no higher than an 8 seed.

Going into the season, I was concerned about the 2nd item. The first one is the one I didn’t see coming. I was thinking that at this point and time we wouldnt have a 1 person recruiting class 7 players on the roster.

I understand lacy, cat and even Abu going pro. Understand transfers – don’t understand having 3 big guys on roster (now 2) for next year and no back up pg.

PK Pollar
    Participant

Much better conversation here the last 12+ hours. Prior to that I was worried some quit taking important medications. It was a hoot to read some comments and where their interests lie – but “don’t ask, don’t tell” is the best policy for that.

First, I don’t think many State fans have seriously thought that Gott was “great,” so any indication otherwise is not realistic. There was disappointment across the fan base at the announcement. You don’t really get any points by hyping that you’ve been against Gott before anyone else. Most were breathing a sigh of relief that HWSNBN or Jed Clampett was not hired for MBB coach. Others support the coach at the start, because what difference would it make to do otherwise?

Now, there was hope that he could overcome those first few difficult teams where chemistry was an issue and begin to build on something year-to-year-to-year. He has had some significant successes in ways that we’ve not had in a long time, but we can see that he is not going to aggregate better teams over time. The individual parts do matter and they are interconnected to affect the whole. Recruiting is holding. Scholarship management is questionable. Retention is no better than average in the NCAA at best. Coaching of fundamentals and in-game coaching are not stellar. Hence, we are left with the horrible year of 2015-16 and wondering about 2016-17. This is on the coach because he has the biggest influence on these factors. He is the executive for those things.

NCSU will now take another year and see what happens and go from there. This may be the best thing to do for now, however, the angst and hilarity occur because it is not clear that we have proactive leadership at the University that can deal with this as quickly as it will need to be dealt with next year.

TheCOWDOG

^
    Come by more often.

Thinkpack17
    Participant

Chop,

1. I disagree with the “nosedive” assessment. If that’s indeed your opinion. A few days ago we had a solid roster. We lost 2 players unexpectedly and those are the breaks. There are obvious risks in recruiting twins but it’s Gotts job to patch those hole. But it’s been 3 days, you actually have to give him a chance to do his job.

2. This is a fair point. We had a great team with the big 4 and that was a season to forget. If we see that again I agree it would be cause for a move.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Chop,

1. I disagree with the “nosedive” assessment. If that’s indeed your opinion. A few days ago we had a solid roster. We lost 2 players unexpectedly and those are the breaks. There are obvious risks in recruiting twins but it’s Gotts job to patch those hole. But it’s been 3 days, you actually have to give him a chance to do his job.

2. This is a fair point. We had a great team with the big 4 and that was a season to forget. If we see that again I agree it would be cause for a move.

Solid roster? We are coming off a 13th place finish and just lost our all ACC guard. One pg on roster 2.5 (one chronically hurt, one with no ambition and one who may jet at the first hint of praise), bro we are a long way from having a solid roster.

Thinkpack17
    Participant

^take a moment, organize your thoughts and get back to us. Try to use names and actual data to back up your claims. Lastly read your post aloud. If it doesn’t make sense to you how can it make sense to us?

Wolfanatic
    Participant

(one chronically hurt, one with no ambition and one who may jet at the first hint of praise), bro we are a long way from having a solid roster.

Brollack, can you be specific on the one with no ambition and the one that will jet? Inquiring minds wish to know. We have a player with no ambition?

Rick
    Keymaster

Chop,

1. I disagree with the “nosedive” assessment. If that’s indeed your opinion. A few days ago we had a solid roster. We lost 2 players unexpectedly and

those are the breaks.

There are obvious risks in recruiting twins but it’s Gotts job to patch those hole. But it’s been 3 days, you actually have to give him a chance to do his job.

Everyone has a family member of friend who always has ‘bag luck’. At some point you realize it’s their decisions not their luck.

Thinkpack17
    Participant

“Everyone has a family member of friend who always has ‘bag luck’. At some point you realize it’s their decisions not their luck.”

Yup…and they’re nerve racking but as long as they show up at the reunion with the fried turkey they are alright with me. I’m about the results. Cousin Jeffery has remembered the turkey 4 outta 5 years now. Not too bad.

Thinkpack17
    Participant

“Brollack, can you be specific on the one with no ambition and the one that will jet? Inquiring minds wish to know. We have a player with no ambition?”

I’m glad I’m not the only one who had no idea what this guy was talking about.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Hey buddy, if you like those results, Herby got us there 5 out of 5.

Thinkpack17
    Participant

^Sweet 16s? Turning Raleigh into lob city against UNC? Beating K and then smacking him on the ass? Getting 2 recruits in the same class over Roy? Beating Roy IN CHAPEL HILL? Nah my dude…nah.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

So, Cousin Jefferey still has access to..(ahem)..you know… you know,… the…. the fried turkey??

pakfanistan
    Participant

Hey buddy, if you like those results, Herby got us there 5 out of 5.

*5 out of 10.

Thinkpack17
    Participant

^lol. Ok Wolfanatic, I think this metaphor is getting away from us a bit.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Just making the point the last five years he took is there, and it didn’t mean squat. We’ll see if Gott can regroup but it isn’t looking good right about now. Can hardly field a team as it stands today.

Thinkpack17
    Participant

^Point taken. Also many counterpoints made.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

choppack1
    Participant

Think pack – regarding the nosedive… Keep in mind, I don’t think we are in a tailspin we can’t recover from – it’s just now on the table – where a few days ago it was not.

Keep in mind – at this point we have 7 guys on our roster. Consider Abu gone – he may indeed return, but the mere fact he has thrown in name in the ring and is taking the preparation seriously indicates his true intentions.

We still don’t have a combo guard.

We get one year from DSJ (if we have a good year next year). We lose Anya, Freeman and probably Henderson. If Abu does come back next year, he’s likely gone as well. So yes, the IMHO, the death spiral is a real possibility here.

As others have indicated, Gott’s recruiting is following a similar arc to Tom O’Briens – whom she let got. of course, she didn’t have a crush on tob

Tau837
    Participant

Not saying it won’t happen, because we’ve seen it. But Abu would be foolish to go pro if he wants to play in the NBA.

nbadraft.net shows him going undrafted in both their 2016 and 2017 mock drafts. People have been comparing him to Leslie, but I would argue that Leslie was a more skilled player. If he couldn’t make it, I see no reason to believe Abu can make it at this stage.

Abu is not as old as Lacey was. He doesn’t have a family situation like Cat does. And he isn’t coming off a season as strong as either of them. Also, there is no apparent threat to his playing time or opportunity. Even if Gott lands the Turkish recruit, he would play alongside Abu, and probably would draw defensive attention away from Abu.

IMO Abu needs to play two more years. He has too many deficiencies — handle, jump shot, offensive moves, defense. I mean, what does he do that would stand out in the NBA? Nothing. He needs a lot of work.

I think he will be back.

Tau837
    Participant

I have read elsewhere that there is expectation of 1-2 traditional (sit out next year) transfers (1 G, 1 big) plus at least one post-grad transfer big. Plus the possibility of Yurtseven. There is still potential for Gott to pull a rabbit out of his hat ass.

There is also some discussion of the possibility of Freeman redshirting. I assume he didn’t do it this season due to our roster need, so I assume he won’t do it in the upcoming season unless our roster need is lessened due to influx of multiple bigs for whatever reason. That would be good both because of what it implies about the upcoming season, i.e., not needing Freeman, and because it would give us a senior big in 2017-18.

Thinkpack17
    Participant

“Keep in mind – at this point we have 7 guys on our roster. Consider Abu gone – he may indeed return, but the mere fact he has thrown in name in the ring and is taking the preparation seriously indicates his true intentions.”

Dude…that’s just being smart. With the new rules if you are at a NBA prospect it makes no sense for you not to put your name in. You get a work out and free advice from NBA personnel. Kentucky’s whole team is declaring does that mean none of them are coming back?

“We still don’t have a combo guard.”

Dorn was recruited to be a combo guard.

Rick
    Keymaster

I have read elsewhere that there is expectation of 1-2 traditional (sit out next year) transfers (1 G, 1 big) plus at least one post-grad transfer big. Plus the possibility of Yurtseven. There is still potential for Gott to pull a rabbit out of his hat ass.

Having to constantly pull a rabbit is not a way to build a top 25 program.

Tau837
    Participant

Having to constantly pull a rabbit is not a way to build a top 25 program.

I agree. I’d still rather him pull one out than not. I’d rather that he pull a miraculous turnaround than hope he crashes and burns.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 504 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.