Men’s Basketball Player Turnover Under Mark Gottfried

Home Forums All StateFansNation Men’s Basketball Player Turnover Under Mark Gottfried

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 504 total)
  • Author
    ryebread
    Participant

1997: I don’t know that I believe the Tweet and will wait to see how this plays out. I think that Abu has wanted a 2 year plan. I’ve not seen him grow at the pace to support being a NBA player now. I think he needs another year to work on his game, where ever that is.

Now, if he were elect to take that year somewhere else, I’d agree that that would be potentially quite telling. I can’t see him transferring and sitting out a year. I suspect if he doesn’t feel like he’s developing here, he’ll just go pro.

Packzingo
    Participant

If he doesn’t want to wear the Pack uniform, hit the road….transfer to a league where you can showcase your talents.
    I think that Elon or Campbell would be excellent options! I’m probably in the minority, but I think you have to start from within yourself to develop from year one to year two and quite honestly, A”boo” was a ghost quite frequently!!

Perhaps there are issues within the program (coaching question marks), obviously I don’t know squat and I’m not in the Know. But how do you coach these kids that think they all will make a living in the NBA? I believe you go back to the basics and recruit the kids that want to be college basketball players and not NBA players…plus add a few fake courses..

GiveMe83 v2.0
    Participant

This is well beyond absurd. I think Abu had a two year plan when he enrolled and since it didn’t work out it must be Gott”s fault for using him the wrong way. He needs all four years to even sniff the NBA draft. We shall see how this unfolds.

How many players have to sprint away from our program before we stop blaming the players?

Been lurking for years, joined just to quote this!

choppack1
    Participant

Perhaps there are issues???

Of course, there are issues. I say that irrespective of Abu returning… It’s just a matter of this being a dumpster fire or a smoldering tire fire.

choppack1
    Participant

For perspective, no Gottfried 4 year recruit has lasted 4 years yet. Granted, he has only been here 5 years and is heading into his 6th season. But hey, Freeman and Anya may just be the first.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

you guys are overlooking the obvious…

the reason most of these kids are leaving is that the classes they have to take at NC State are too difficult given their performance in public school…

duh…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    TheCOWDOG

Valid point, Bill. Being able to hit a 3 foot shot would make it all better.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Looks real enough to me:

Forward Abdul-Malik Abu told ESPN that he is “seriously considering transferring or hiring an agent.”

Abu could not be reached for further comment Monday. Ty Boswell, Abu’s AAU coach, declined to comment. Gottfried also declined to comment.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/article75219287.html#storylink=cpy

choppack1
    Participant

Bill – that ain’t on the players is it? Nd seriously, when was the last time we had a player in any major sport academically ineligible.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Interesting comments here and other places. I KNOW how much that it will cost to bail on Coach G. I don’t think that the Business Model can take that….we ain’t GT. BUT, a lot of folks have decided NOT to purchase Season Tickets next year. That was discussed at the Coaches’ Caravan. THAT will hurt and was the COMPELLING reason that Sidney was shown the road….

We will be what we are next year….and Corchiani may get PT….or some of his fellow “Pine Warmers”. Unless there is a miracle (which all the President Candidates are praying for or predicting) in November….we have already had OUR October Surprise.

Comments from the N&O article seem to seal the deal. When folks will NOT deny….or confirm, then SOMETHING is afoot. There does seem to be some discontent in Wuffie Land. Many of the “I’m Outta Here” players have made subtle (and some NOT so subtle) comments that Coach G is not the most popular guy at practice and his off court antics have lessened his stature as their “esteemed” leader.

The OTHER comments, and also more of a rhetorical question, is….How MUCH did Coach Lutz’s reassignment really IMPACT the team. Supposedly Coach G was the host of a few NCAA watching parties and most of the team came over for snacks and comraderary. BUT, that team spirit seems to, like ELvis, LEFT the Dail Center.

The OTHER side of the comments is the miraculous way that Anya will come back more svelt than ever and ace out Abu. Doesn’t really seem like we have Thurl Bailey, II lined up yet though. SO, all the speculation of Abu’s lesser PT is a bit of a reach.

To BotB…..YES, the academics was PROBABLY one of the reason that ONE of the Martins was wanting some relief. However, the OTHER could hold his own and it was not a problem. This comes from within their former HS and the teacher/counseling staff….NOT an idle NET rumor.

IF you recall all the behind the scene drama about Abu (which came out after the tragic shooting in CH), we (NCSU) covered about every base (academics, religious, athletics, community, etc.) with Abu. He had some specific Islamic needs and his list was long and distinguished. Rob Moxley ticked them off and handled them so that Malik was provided with one of the largest “comfort zones” that we have developed for a player….save what our UNC buddies got with the Sweet Caroline gang of the 80’s.

The tweets, many of which were later pulled, by some of our less fanatical and more level headed transfers were quite telling….assuming they were accurate. AD Yow has a lot of “mental time” on her hands as she goes through PT for the knee replacement. She can not be on her iPhone for all the exercise periods. She probably has put in a LOT of Mental Gymnastics on this “revolting turn of events”. TOO LATE in the season to pull the pin. Donovan’s departure was one of the latest D1 jobs on record.

Curious if anyone has talked to players or managers or others familiar with the program and how much of the above is fact versus unsubstantiated rumor? Time will tell…..

JeremyH
    Participant

There’s just going to be a big gaping hole on the floor where our forwards used to play. To go from just missing on Bam to… this? This is what we get for having real courses.

redisgood
    Participant

I mentioned this during the season, but there was one night when Gott was getting a recognition award from DY for his 200th career win or something like that. It was a pre-game ceremony, and I found it noteworthy not a single player looked over to watch, or applaud at the end. They completely ignored the whole event. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen that before.

Adventuroo
    Participant

This just in (not really, but I just got up)…..

https://twitter.com/Chris_Corchiani?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

SO, who do you believe….DB Goodman or Sainted Corchiani?

I also wonder, and there are a few comments out there….probably from some VERY informed and well placed sources….about the decision to demote (FIRE) Lutz and the impact on the team. Coach Lutz was mentioned by many players over the last few years in the various interviews more than Coach Gottfried…

Strange goings on in Raleigh. Will be even stranger….until real info comes out…

redisgood
    Participant

I don’t think Corch is doubting the veracity of the report, he’s just adding some logic to it. Declaring for the draft makes no sense, and transferring to another school makes no sense. Unfortunately, once you’ve made a statement like Abu’s, it’s hard to take back. He broke a pretty basic rule about keeping things like that in house. I guess he can always fall back on the old “I was misquoted” line.

MISTA WOLF
    Participant

Redisgood,
    “I mentioned this during the season, but there was one night when Gott was getting a recognition award from DY for his 200th career win or something like that. It was a pre-game ceremony, and I found it noteworthy not a single player looked over to watch, or applaud at the end. They completely ignored the whole event. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen that before.”

Sorry, I haven’t the clue how to use the quote key, nor do I really care to learn. I remember this discussion and I remember it happening after the WF debacle in Winston Salem. These kids bailed on MG early in the year. EARLY. What we seen all season was these guys playing for each other, themselves, their university and that’s it. Coach(es) not included. Their body language was sh!t all season.

StateRed44
    Participant

Ok, so what’s the rumor? What did he actually do to tick off the players, or is it just generally being a jerk and yelling too much or what? Enough hand wringing, if the ship is really going down what did he do? Gotta be something

ryebread
    Participant

NC State will have Gott next season. The time to be proactive was 8 weeks ago. Nothing has really developed since then that changed my opinion then (which was the same as my opinion at the end of the Oklahoma State game in year 2). The window though has closed for a while and we’ve decided to try some new assistants.

We may as well grin and bear it. The current reality has seemingly been the case since signing that extension. Nobody at this point is going to pay Gott to buy him out — not NC State or another school.

My advice is to not worry about what happens between now and when we roll the balls out in late fall. Who will be on the roster will be on the roster. Games will be played. We’ll win some and we’ll lose some. With every one, Gott and Yow are one more game closer to being gone.

freshmanin83
    Participant

I did not think their body language was excrement all season and it does not make sense to me that if they were playing for “each other, themselves, their university” that their body language would be anything other than excellent.

Fastback68
    Participant

So N&O quotes Goodman’s tweet, Goodman quotes himself and then Goodman tweets “my gut tells me Abu stays.” Did your a– tell you Abu said I’m transferring or hiring an agent??

MISTA WOLF
    Participant

Bad body language appears on everyone on this Earth. So does good body language. It’s natural. If you watched any games at all this season, you saw the Martin’s yelling at each other, you saw Abu get in Freeman’s face, no one listening during timeouts, everyone yelling at Anya and Cat staying even keel. If you attended a game in person you’d see the other teams stretching in warmups and doing shooting drills while our guys sit on their a$$, not have their jersey tucked in, sagging, playing 1-on-1, not shooting game shots, etc. Maybe I’m the only one that sees this. I try to look at more than the scoreboard sometimes. They played hard minus a game here and there but they didn’t listen to their coach on a consistent basis. Their coach didn’t control them. The coach is the A&O of a team and ours isn’t cutting it. We’ll be laughed at next season unless the Good Lord spares us.

13OT
    Participant

I plan to renew my LTR b-ball seats for the 21st time this season, but it’ll likely be the last if something doesn’t change pretty soon.

Until the current AD is gone, NOTHING is going to change in the major NCSU sports.

McCallum
    Participant

State being State.

McCallum

ryebread
    Participant

Mista: I’m not at the games so I don’t see all of that. I would caution against reading too much into body language. A lot of context is lost and I also think it’s human nature to see what we want to see. We also tend to ignore similar things done by the other team (i.e. disagreements on court).

13OT: I tend to agree with your statement. This appears to be the status quo for the next couple of seasons. I’ve accepted it.

MISTA WOLF
    Participant

A lot of truth in your statement Rye but I am a firm believer in that body language affects performance. I personally need to fix how I see things (my wife tells me I see everything with an Eeyore attitude.)null

McCallum
    Participant

If body language affects performance then State has long mastered being on their knees in a Lewinsky fashion.

McCallum

*fire them all. No more buddies and networking non-sense. Burn it all down and start again.

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 504 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.