Mark Gottfried Fired

Home Forums All StateFansNation Mark Gottfried Fired

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 251 total)
  • Author
    packbackr04
    Participant

…so, this is really happening tonight? she is really gonna trot him out there.

Mike
    Participant

Gonna take an NCAA championship I think.

That would be epic.

The only thing less likely is Summer Erb modeling for Victoria Secret.

McCallum

How about Beejay modeling for Victoria Secret?

Mike
    Participant

Also with regards to Archie being a HWSNBN protege – I would beg to differ mightily. The Miller dad is a long time well respected coach. Both Sean and Archie grew up everything basketball and made the most of their athletic careers despite not being exceptionally athletic.

They made it on smarts and playing like coaches. I think both have followed in their dad’s footsteps to the coaching ranks, teaching what he always taught. In summary I dont think anything Arch teaches comes from HWSNBN.

choppack1
    Participant

Goodman still has a hard-on for HWSNBN, even after his having been fired by freaking Arizona State. Take everything he says with the requisite grain of salt.

Yea. But that doesn’t mean he’s not right. There’s a consensus out there with folks who should know…And it seems to be Archie ain’t coming. I don’t hear the same confidence that he would come from those who usually or could chime in. Translation: If he really longs to return to his alma mater it’s a well kept secret.

He played for and coached with a guy who is still despised by a high percentage of the fan base (at least the internet fan base.) Somehow – his Dad, who obviously knows something about basketball allowed and supported both of his sons learning under this guy.

Don’t underestimate the impact of the negativity he undoubtedly witnessed during his time in Raleigh.

I find it somewhat both sad and amusing that State fans think Archie would love nothing more than to come back here in one breath and then slam his coach and boss in the next one. At the very least, he probably respects Sendek. And if that’s the case, what are his impressions when a significant amount of his potential customers don’t?

I hope I am wrong on this one – but I am not hearing from those who should know (in any form or fashion) that he wants to come back at this time.

ryebread
    Participant

True or not, Goodman’s comments are a perfect smoke screen to take some pressure off of Arch. Shrugs.

Arch will come or he will not (and I really want him to come). I know we’re trying and getting out there early that is what matters. We’re moving before Ohio State and for once are showing signs of proactive management. We may not get him, but we’re certainly giving him something to really think about.

I do not at all understand the narrative about Arch being so loyal to Sendek that he wouldn’t take this job. He was an assistant under Matta and Ohio State is being far less reasonable towards a coach that has done far more than Sendek. Sendek left (wasn’t fired, and Fowler wasn’t going to fire him), and if the Ohio State job is open it will clearly be because the fans and administration have fun him off. If Arch takes the Ohio State job and not the NC State job (if both comes open), then logic should not connect it to loyalty to Sendek (though some of his supporters will still say it) and probably more connect it to a difference in something else (compensation, boss, or not wanting to move the family). If anything is true about the “Arch has reservations” rumors, the one that seems to have the most legs to me is not wanting to uproot his family.

As for Gott, I will never pull against State so I hope we beat UNC, but I have no issues with him being roundly booed, etc.. This year has been an epic display of failure and he’s been paid big $$$ to lead it. He gets what is coming to him. He could “resign” reduce his buy out and not have to be out there if he wanted.

BJD95
    Keymaster

My semi-educated read is that if we don’t get Arch it will be about (i) money; and/or (ii) the lack of professionalism in how we run things here.

Wulfpack
    Participant

At the very least, he probably respects Sendek.

Unless there is something I am not aware of between these two, of course he does. Played for him. Gave him coaching jobs at State and ASU. I’d say it has worked out quite well for him, has it not?

StateRed44
    Participant

If Goodman’s source is the dad or bro, he’s probably correct. Otherwise I’d say the true feelings towards our job of the Millers (including those of the wife) are unknowable.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

…so, this is really happening tonight? she is really gonna trot him out there.

In a slow motion train wreck sort of way its going to be entertaining as hell.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Maybe he will show up lit and moon the student section? I will watch just in case that happens.

StateRed44
    Participant

My semi-educated read is that if we don’t get Arch it will be about (i) money; and/or (ii) the lack of professionalism in how we run things here.

I think the bottom line will be the money and how hard it is to win here relative to the pressure. In other words, how long will he get the money and will the job eventually ruin his career. All the other crap is way secondary. Raleigh, NC is a nice place to live.

Gowolves
    Participant

I learned quite a number of years ago that damn near anything, especially anything that falls into the categories that defy intelligence and any awareness of effective leadership & decision-making, is possible at NC State. And that is not hyperbolic language I use.

You mean we are the George Constanza of college sports? Sheesh!

Rick
    Keymaster

Also with regards to Archie being a HWSNBN protege – I would beg to differ mightily. The Miller dad is a long time well respected coach. Both Sean and Archie grew up everything basketball and made the most of their athletic careers despite not being exceptionally athletic.

They made it on smarts and playing like coaches. I think both have followed in their dad’s footsteps to the coaching ranks, teaching what he always taught. In summary I dont think anything Arch teaches comes from HWSNBN.

And Sendek was a Pitino disciple. I look at how they coach not who they learned from. You can learn a lot from Sendek and not be stuck in his same mold.

choppack1
    Participant

Rye – If Matta steps down it will likely be for health reasons. I have no idea how toxic it is at tOSU right now – I imagine it ain’t that bad since their football is strong and that’s most important to them.

If those are valid – it ain’t apples and oranges. And make no mistake about it, Sendek left when he did to escape a bad situation. I think his situation would have been fine with a better AD – I think Yow would have handled it much better.

Let’s rule out money – that won’t be a factor.

In theory, he could take the Ohio State job and not move his family..but for a coach, an hour or 45 minute commute after working those hours probably ain’t a good idea.

The “he doesn’t like the way” we run things argument does make sense, but makes less sense if he has fond memories of his time here.

Again, he has been here before. He either wants to return or he doesn’t. If he doesn’t and ends up taking another opening elsewhere, we will know he has little desire to return here period. (If he stays in Dayton, it can be argued that he doesn’t want to uproot his family at this time and the door is still cracked open in the future.)

Rick
    Keymaster

If we lose him because of these reasons just blow up the friggin’ athletic department. Back up the truck and give him what he wants. If you can then make it an incentive driven contract. The kid is going to succeed and do it big time.

tractor57
    Participant

I think Archie is a long shot – not impossible but that ship might have sailed. I would have 3rd party contact and if there is some interest I would explore but I doubt he will coach the red and white.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Concerning the loyalty of Arch to Sendek, I don’t think it comes into play.

1. Sean Miller left Sendek to go with Matta when he took the OSU job after Xavier
    2. Arch’s teams play more like Matta than Sendek
    3. Arch is a Jon Miller protege. Plain and simple.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

And concerning Marshall, there are multiple articles citing the offer (not simple interest) by NC State, but here’s one where he notes State as being the closest he’s ever been to leaving Wichita.

Marshall is still young enough to give you quality years. I think it depends on what his goal is. If it’s to compete for national titles year end, year out, Wichita is a mediocre option, even in Kansas. Throw about 2-2.5 base at him, with a long-term contract, and give him major escalating incentives. And start by apologizing for not offering the job when Lowe was hired and Gottfried. I don’t think he’ll bite, but if you don’t start here, you’re nuts.

ryebread
    Participant

I agree with whiteshoes that Arch doesn’t seem as tied to Sendek as he is to his dad, brother and Matta. If he won’t follow Sendek at State now that we are TWO coaches removed from him due to loyalty to his coaching tree, then he’s not following Matta at Ohio State. Yeah, Matta has some health issues, but they’ve been on him regarding performance despite results we’d build statues for here. If it is unfair here, then don’t go to Ohio State or Indiana (other job he supposedly favors).

chop is making valid points as to the reasons why it may not work out. I’ve always put it only at 50/50.

I agree with rick that Arch is going to hit it big at the next stop. I hope it is here.

If it’s not Arch, then the sun will rise and we will move on. There are a lot of coaches out there that are much better than Gott.

Adventuroo
    Participant

This whole thing reminds me of the FIRST coaching search. The “parking lot” favorite was Mark Few when Sidney was fired. That “learned body” of individuals were the folks that frequented the High Dollar Donors Tailgates at the ACC Tourney in Greensboro. How’d THAT work out?

Same deal about Coach Doeren. The consensus at the LAST home game was a big donor push to relieve Coach Doeren of command, REGARDLESS of the results from that Saturday or the UNC game and that we would “move in a new direction”. How’d THAT work out?

I did hear a few stock tips from both groups….but had the common sense NOT to chase those either. Talk, especially fuel with some fermented beverages and wanting to be considered as an “insider” does not always correlate with reality.

NOW, some of the comments about the past issues within the MBB program have been confirmed by “independent” sources, so not all the gossip was speculation or rumor.

I read Goodman’s comments late last night and then he obviously pulled a Trump and shot off his mouth today as he was getting more “input” or needed to “trend”.

It is interesting to speculate about WHOM will be pursued and WHOM will be interested. BUT, unless someone talks to Sean or Dad, all other sources seem a bit “overrated”.

I still want to know WHO spilled the beans about this past weekend’s events. If you guys can pin down that source, then it will be a great “deep throat” as to what is happening.

I can see NO scenario where chit chatting with Mark Armstrong did any good. You GOTT to wonder if the GOTT camp was not the source. Debbie Yow is probably more concerned about “plugging her leaks” than Trump is over the Flynn debacle.

Maybe the poll ought to be changed to our “record” for the rest of the season…or how far we go? Offer a prize….

ORW will obviously come out gunning for the KILL. The personality of the officiating crew will also have some influence. I often think that sometimes they feel sorry for a team or they don’t want to hear ORW’s berating.

Maybe the UNC team will decide NOT to play as a protest of ORW’s HB2 Support. Maybe he will bring Wanda and his daughter and GD and let them shower and mingle with the team to show the NCAA that UNC is ready to comply with their “new world order”.

In less than 11 hours, we will know if Coach has done a Jimmy V number on the team and then the speculation will be as to whether he can repeat it on Saturday.

If you caught the Mike Brey interview after the ND game, he walked right through the locker room to the Coaches area and left the team there, with a parting shot about…”You guys need to figure out what you want to do….I’m not going to waste my breath….”. He did, I think, then come back and get them focused. Whatever works….

bradleyb123
    Participant

Did someone REALLY mention HWSRUN (He who shall remain un-named) back on page 3?

Seriously???

My only concern here is that we will do what we almost ALWAYS do, and that is go CHEAP, and hire an unproven commodity, and hope for the best (that we just hired the next Jim Valvano). And it never works out. In another 4-6 years, we will be posting the same types of comments about our NEXT next coaching hire. Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

For once, I would like to see us hire a PROVEN guy and pay him what he’s worth. We will NEVER be great again doing what we’ve been doing.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Arch likes Raleigh, and supposedly so does Mrs. Arch. He 100% DOES have the “strut” factor, in that being in the limelight is a positive for him, not a drawback.

That’s the #1 criterion we must evaluate, in my book. Anybody who thinks it’s a “challenge” to play in the ACC and in the same “neighborhood” as the Blues is very likely to fail. They should see it as a great opportunity to compete at the highest level and become the king of the basketball world.

*In reality, it is BOTH a challenge and an opportunity. But how the coach reacts instinctively reveals his makeup, and whether he is a good fit and how he will be able to sell players on his vision.

But he’s not gonna come here if he feels like the administration is second rate, or is going to be a problem in any way. We have to make him comfortable in that respect. I don’t think a casual “trust me” is enough.

tractor57
    Participant

Never works out – Everett Case, Press Maravich, Norn Sloan, Jimmy V. So in the past it has – sadly we also ran off some of those by continuing to be cheap. At this point I suspect our choices will be limited to the up and comers given the program but even those are not “cheap” these days.

BJD95
    Keymaster

The nice thing is we are starting NOW so we can hopefully get someone in ASAP to keep as many people from leaving as possible.

ryebread
    Participant

Roo: I wanted Few when we hired Sid. Going after him when Sid was fired was far too late, and it was clear it wasn’t going to happen then. I thought we had a good shot with Sean Miller last time, right up until Arizona killed Duke in the tournament. I knew right then that Sean was about to get paid, and that was that.

I tend to think we may be a year too late for Arch. This is why I was so vocal last year. That was before the extension at Dayton and before it looked like Ohio State might come open. We once again may have acted too slowly.

There are only three plausible sources for “the leak.” The source had to have been good enough to be believed. If intended and was done to help us contact other candidates, it is Yow or one of the associate ADs. If unintended, then it was Gott (or one of the assistants) or one of the UNC BOG types that sniffed it out or is involved in some way in the buy out. Yow and her team know whether it was intended, and really are the only ones who care. Something like this wasn’t going to stay under wraps.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 251 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.