Mark Gottfried Fired

Home Forums All StateFansNation Mark Gottfried Fired

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 251 total)
  • Author
    MISTA WOLF
    Participant

The lunatic fringe is in full swing. Tonight is going to be interesting. I could see us winning and pulling some ncstatesh!t and i could see us losing by 60. Does stuff get thrown out on the court tonight? It could get really ugly tonight…. Real f’n ugly.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Marshall > Arch

Arch <$ Marshall

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Did you see the interview last night where Armstrong asks Gottfried a question? Talk about awkward

JeremyH
    Participant

Arch will want to come, but Sean will talk him out of it. How bad does Arch want to beat UNC’s a$$?

BJD95
    Keymaster

The idea that Arch is any way, shape, or form a bargain solution is laughable. Unless of course one means that you probably have to start at $5M/yr to even get Marshall to call you back (which the Koch Bros will match and then some).

ryebread
    Participant

Arch is a hot commodity and will command a premium, particularly if Ohio State is in play. The chance to get Arch more reasonably was last year, and that’s why we should have moved then.

Anyone who thinks we are getting Greg Marshall needs their head examined. The Koch Brothers pay him handsomely, could pay him more if they wanted, and he has a private jet to use at his discretion. The only reason that we could outbid them is if they decided that Marshall just wasn’t worth it. That should stop and give one pause in and of itself. I personally think there is a lot of “noise” that comes with Marshall. Great coach, but is he worth it? I am not sure.

JeremyH
    Participant

f-it, bring back Lutz and Schroyer as his #2 for continuity.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Arch is a hot commodity and will command a premium, particularly if Ohio State is in play. The chance to get Arch more reasonably was last year, and that’s why we should have moved then.

Anyone who thinks we are getting Greg Marshall needs their head examined. The Koch Brothers pay him handsomely, could pay him more if they wanted, and he has a private jet to use at his discretion. The only reason that we could outbid them is if they decided that Marshall just wasn’t worth it. That should stop and give one pause in and of itself. I personally think there is a lot of “noise” that comes with Marshall. Great coach, but is he worth it? I am not sure.

Jesus dude Marshall is absolutely worth it. Not even a remote question. Whatever conference he is in he makes it his own personal playground. Dude can coach. He is a pipedream for sure but since he almost left for Bama a couple of years ago that tells me he may be getting sick of KS, sick of being a mid major, wants to feed his ego against a top conference. Probably all three. Pay him 4 million per and the return on investment would be insane.

Its a pipe dream but at least ask.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Tractor57,

Good POINT on our past “performance = compensation” history. IF (memory is always tough) I recall, Norm Sloan left OVER money. Willis Casey, who is and should be immortalized, was a cheap (FIB). He would not give Sloan a raise and Norm painted himself into a corner. Same deal with Jimmy V. Casey played Jimmy V like a trout securely hooked. Jimmy V’s psyche was “compensation”. If you read ANY of his books and also the books written about him, he was the perfect Harold Hill. Always had a “boys band” scheme. In all fairness to him, he did have a family and that family was not exactly “low maintenance”. The reason we made him AD, I THOUGHT, was to justify more money for him….which was inevitably, along with his speaking gigs and other “outside interests” his downfall.
    Many of the managers talk about being “trapped” when he wanted to talk about “how to make a million” and that he would often give impromptu whiteboard lectures and also give out very pertinent and confidential aspects of his net worth and his endeavors.
    SO, wisely spending our resources and NOT being so cheap, in the long run, hurt us.

FINAL NOTE….this is FACT from a direct email from Lutz. The articles that are coming out today seem to dance around the 800 Pound (it would be racist to say Gorilla) in the room. Lutz was FIRED. He made NO bones about it and was NOT subtle in telling anyone that. The reporters keep “hinting” that our defensive failures (spelled LOSSES) are the result of NO DEFENSE and the “new and improved” system that the new guys brought in ain’t worked.

Gottfried bet the farm on “staff changes” last year when his offense failed and blamed Lutz for the season. That was his ONE last straw. Debbie Yow let him made the call….you have to believe that. BUT, she also has enough basketball savvy to see WHERE the issues are. He is NOT a good manager nor does he have a loyal following nor does he have the respect of the team. Think General Custer.

We will (should) go after a coach with a well rounded approach. Archie certainly fills that bill….but God only knows if we are in the running or if he has issues about coming back.

The Emeritus approach that someone suggested would be an interesting twist…but don’t know if Dr. Woodson is too caught up in the “PC Thingy” of being “Respected” by the NCAA, who is about as biased in the opposite direction, as folks accuse Trump and us Deplorables of being today.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

1. Marshall’s decision not to come here in 2011-2012 wasn’t about money
    2. If Marshall was to be interested in 2017, it wouldn’t be about money. With that said, you still throw a boatload at him to see

And I’m not by any means suggesting that Arch can’t command a big payday. It’s just not the premium you should offer Marshall.

APOLOGY + WELLS FARGO TRUCK + TRADITION + NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS + RABID FANS

JeremyH
    Participant

this “almost came” business doesn’t mean a thing. Shaka almost left VCU for state, Marshall almost left Wichita for Alabama, if its “almost” i’m sorry but you’re in the category of “I did it for the pay bump”.

JeremyH
    Participant

If Archie and Marshall are both interested, a strategic approach would be to play them against each other in the sense of “let’s interview you, and if we offer you, you have 24 hours, and by the way this other guy is interested and his offer is written up too, whatever you want to do is OK”.

tractor57
    Participant

I suspect that happened between Smart and Marshall last time – good strategy if you hold the power. At that time we did not.

tractor57
    Participant

‘roo that is exactly as I remember with the addition the rumor was floated that Sloan had “other issues” (maybe like Gott). I never saw any evidence pro or con but that was the story as I remember. Casey was a cheap ass – maybe rightfully so maybe not but I agree the elevation of V to AD so he would get more money was the start of the downfall.

I suspect we lost Holtz because of money and a lack of support in the “jogger incident” Yes he would have left eventually but I dare say not to the NY Jets.

duckfatrules
    Participant

If Archie and Marshall are both interested, a strategic approach would be to play them against each other in the sense of “let’s interview you, and if we offer you, you have 24 hours, and by the way this other guy is interested and his offer is written up too, whatever you want to do is OK”.

this is the best way to be left with no one

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

AD’s intermediary – “Coach Marshall, AD Yow wanted me to let you know she knows she screwed up last time. We should’ve made you our number one priority and showed you how much we wanted you. She wants to personally extend her apology.”
    Marshall – “Yep, I’m still listening.”
    AD liaison – “And AD Yow wasn’t the AD the previous coaching search, but we should’ve hired you then. We want to make up for those piss poor decisions. We want you to spend the rest of your career in Raleigh kickin’ those blue sons of bitches asses”
    Marshall – “Uh huh, show me.”

JeremyH
    Participant

perhaps you’re right duckfat; the sentiment still holds that some strategy improving our odds of getting the right candidate would be a breath of fresh air. this is where the AD really makes their money. And we’re all just really tired of this repeat mix of emotions “1) oh no the team is so bad 2) hurray we’re going to get a new coach / anxiety / excitement 3) who the hell did we just hire?! really, no one good wants this job?!”. its a broken record, can this AD break the cycle..?

BJD95
    Keymaster

My theory is that you have ONE bullet to fire at the “A” tier. This person has to be your sole, primary focus. This person, based on ability, combined with probability of “Getting to Yes” needs to be Archie (in my view).

The “B” tier is all really very low B-, so I really don’t wanna think about it. Coffee is for closers.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Surprise me and name the successor 24 hours after Gott’s official day of reckoning. No muss, no fuss.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

this is the best way to be left with no one [WORTH HAVING]

FTFY

choppack1
    Participant

Bjd – part of me thinks that this is potentially the strategy behind letting what has leaked…(in the event the leak came from Yow’s camp and is NOT an accident.)

Keep in mind, there may be some ruffled feathers from last search and this could be something to let the Miller camp know they are A1.

Deb’s football search was pretty smooth – and I don’t expect this to be a bumpy road. If he does turn us down (which of you believe what you read is likely) – I think we probably end up with Keatts. (Whom I would be thrilled with but for the timing of his stint at Louisville.

I expect her offer to Archie to be strong and well-organized. Now, if we go through a Shaka part duex all bets are off.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Bear in mind that Shaka “shook down” VCU every year (including our foray with him) for MORE MONEY. As I said, the Alumns kidded about VCU wanting them to farm out their wives and daughters for extra cash on Broad Street on Saturday night (and afternoons).

When Smart went to Texas, he had a “Similar” to Gott First year. Made the dance as #6 seed and got knocked off by #11 UNI (Doerens old stomping grounds).

This year they were PreSeason #3. The 12 is actually 10. They are next to dead last and got beat last night by OU, WHO IS LAST.

Not defending Gott, but we did come out better….only time will tell. We need an O & D man this time….rather than a O huckster.

Not advocating bringing in Ricky Barnes or any of the “Past” Usual Suspects.

STILL wonder WHO let the cat out of the bag? If you knew THAT, then maybe this whole thing would make sense.

GOTT a feeling that we will NOT pay GOTT the FULL settlement (over 3 years) of 2.52 Million (that is the EXACT amount…if you bother to read his contract). Wonder why the Press doesn’t have time to read a N&O Write-up?

Wulfpack
    Participant

When Smart went to Texas, he had a “Similar” to Gott First year. Made the dance as #6 seed and got knocked off by #11 UNI (Doerens old stomping grounds).

Doeren came from Northern Illinois (NIU), not Northern Iowa (UNI).

Adventuroo
    Participant

Thanks for the catch on the initials….it WAS the #11 seed….that took him out on the first round…then they got taken out (Miami?).

Wulfpack
    Participant

Texas A&M 92-88 in 2OT. Great game.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 251 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.