Darn good places to eat

Home Forums All StateFansNation Darn good places to eat

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 180 total)
  • Author
    ryebread
    Participant

Chop: I hear you on making a burger at home. For me burgers are about toppings and I don’t want to stock all the toppings for my once a month fix. It is why I like 5 Guys. Again, the elf ties are nothing special.

I also agree regarding Greensboro. I do like Red oak and have served it up to people all over the globe generally with pretty positive reviews. It is not the best beer ever but pretty solid. I don’t think Natty Greens is anything special, but I guess it is better than Natty Bo. 😉 Greensboro does have Country BBQ which to my mouth is some of the best around. If I’m within 20 miles, I’m going to time it so I can stop in.

etab4u
    Participant

Also a Bectonite so Sadlacks was a favorite. Especially since we didn’t have a dining hall in the late 70s and early 80s. I ate at Char-Grill but don’t really remember the experience. I do remember it was really good at the time…
    Nowadays I travel extensively and eat in restaurants so often it is either a really good one or a really bad one for it to be memorable. The original McCormick and Schmicks in Downrown Portland was really good. The New Mexico Steakhouse in Grants, New Mexico distinguished itself as giving me the worst case of food poisoning I’ve suffered, including trips to India and SE Asia.

McCallum
    Participant

Country BBQ in Greensboro?

Never heard of the place but I’ll look into it.

McCallum

Becton901
    Participant

Etab, I lived on first floor ’76 – ’81.

Becton901
    Participant

The 16oz ribeye at Grandma Hoyt’s in Bessemer City is awful good. Only available Thurs, Fri and Sat.

ryebread
    Participant

chop: I forgot to mention that I feel similar about steaks that you do about burgers. I’ve had $100 steaks that I honestly don’t think are any better than what I can do with a good cut of meat, my spice rack and my smoker. I’m not saying I’m all world (I’m not), but a steak out just isn’t worth the price when I can do something that I personally think is as good or better for a fraction of that. I rarely order steak out and always go for items that I either don’t enjoy making, or ones that require a lot of ingredients that I don’t want to stock. The latter is why I’m more apt to buy a burger or stir fry out.

Mac: Country BBQ is the lesser known of Greensboro’s “big 2” of BBQ. Stameys has the location, nostalgia and big clock, but Country BBQ actually has the good food. It’s next to a strip club on Wendover, so the location isn’t good. The caveat I would say is that they are in the family tree (literally, I think they are actually family) with the owners of Lexington BBQ (big barn). If you like that style of BBQ, then this is similar, but with slightly more kick. If you don’t, then you’re not going to be a fan. If you go, save some room for the cobbler at the end, as it is one of the best desserts you will have at a BBQ joint in this price point.

choppack1
    Participant

Rye – agreed on the steaks.

Also, as Rye notes, Country BBQ is a definitely a must-stop. However, I recommend that you stop in for breakfast.

Their Pork Tenderloin biscuits are fantastic – and the line routinely goes out the door as locals wait for it.

I do NOT recommend the Lexington BBQ festival. I thought I was going to some kind of BBQ Mecca. It was not. It was just another fall fest. Arts and crafts, a beer garden and like 2 tents serving BBQ. Boo….

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

I don’t know why, but the food trucks line up at every parking lot from downtown up New Bern Ave on Friday nights. Or at least they’ve been the last few times I’ve driven out that way. Can get your taco and prostitute on, all at the same time.

McCallum
    Participant

Beef Mastor-Hwy 301

Wilson NC

Steak, baked potato, salad

The owners are unc fans. You are forewarned.

McCallum

McCallum
    Participant

Beside a strip club…..hmmmmm.

NOW I KNOW WHERE COUNTRY BBQ IS LOCATED!!!

McCallum

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

smh, took 5 effin pages to get to the beefmaster. should’ve been one of the first 5 posts.

i’ll give you two: bunn’s bbq in Windsor and i got your crabs in kill devil hills

ryebread
    Participant

It’s interesting to see the “talent” (or lack thereof) exiting the strip club and walking through the parking lot from the weird shifts. I would say based on the expansion of that facility over the past 20 years that the strip club business is far more lucrative than running a BBQ joint. I don’t get to Country BBQ that often (last time was about 18 months ago), but I keep thinking one day I’ll show up and the strip club will have moved to greener pastures.

McCallum
    Participant

smh, took 5 effin pages to get to the beefmaster. should’ve been one of the first 5 posts.

i’ll give you two: bunn’s bbq in Windsor and i got your crabs in kill devil hills

Easy Tiger.

We arent working from best to worst.

Everyone should spend an evening sucking down Natural Light beside 301.

McCallum

etab4u
    Participant

Becton901 – I guess we there at the same time. I was on the second floor from 78 to 81. Fun times in the quad!

Greywolf
    Participant

This oughtta stir up some some stink…
    The best dining experience — taste, variety, presentation and service — I ever had was on a Viking river cruise. My first was a one week cruise from Paris to Normandy and back with interesting stops along the way. Also the 2 week cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam. Same high quality on both cruises.

I got so tired of really good food, I ate at home for a week when we got back. 😉 (just kidding)

Non food related aside: Seeing and hearing about the American cemetery in Normandy with over ten thousand Americans service men buried there was an unbelievable experience. The memory still moves me to tears.

YogiNC
    Participant

Grey, yesterday was the 50th anniversary of the death of my grandfather who raised me. He’s buried in Arlington. I think every kid should have to visit there before graduating from high school. The graves of the unknown soldiers are awe inspiring.

As for eating near Arlington, Bob & Edith’s Diner is THE, THE. THE place to eat breakfast IF you can get in. We waited 45 minutes and it was worth every second.

Smarter than the average bear

Greywolf
    Participant

Grey, yesterday was the 50th anniversary of the death of my grandfather who raised me. He’s buried in Arlington. I think every kid should have to visit there before graduating from high school. The graves of the unknown soldiers are awe inspiring.

Yogi, Thank you for sharing about your grandfather and Arlington.

Viking out did themselves making our time there special. Among other things they arranged for a local woman to give a little talk giving some details of the cemetery. Her father had been a gardener at the cemetery for 40 years. They had all the veterans stand to be acknowledged while the played our National Anthem with the bell chimes in the monument. Last they gave each of us a rose to place on a grave — a simple gesture but surprising touching.

The restaurant (I had to get that in here) was indistinguishable except for the courtesy the staff showed the mostly American members of the tour. The realize were it not for the mostly Americans who died on the beaches of Normandy they would be speaking German, not French.

choppack1
    Participant

Yogi – Agreed on Arlington.

It is truly humbling.

And Grey – thanks for info on the Viking Cruise and more importantly – Normandy. I want to go to there sometime within the next 10 years. I would like to go with my son, since he likes history. But @ 9, he can’t yet appreciate it.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

yes… Arlington is humbling and it’s located exactly where it is for that very reason…

Gettysburg, on the other hand, is much more impressive, haunted, hallowed, whatever you want to call it… regardless of whether you stand on the East side or the West side…

That’s where EVERY high school boy should GO…. and consider the day… and his mettle and his honor as compared to those boys his age who fought there….

There ain’t a whole lot to say about PA restaurants…
    been all over up there… just everyday decent food and all the chains…
    nothing unique… except for Philly Cheese Steaks..

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Tau837
    Participant

I am from Greensboro and my Mom’s family is from High Point. Whenever anyone in the family returns to that area for a visit, myself included, we always go to Kepley’s on Main Street for barbecue. I’m planning to go there during my Christmas visit to my Mom.

We last lived in Raleigh in 2003, but we travel back periodically for my wife to get medical treatment at Duke. Old favorites in the Triangle that were still great the last time we visited are:

Nana’s in Durham
    Fearrington House Restaurant in Pittsboro
    Cloos’ Coney Island in Raleigh
    Amedeo’s in Raleigh

I lived in Virginia Beach for 11 years after Raleigh. Favorites there:

Pelon’s – my favorite Mexican food anywhere, and I currently live in San Diego
    Doc Taylor’s – brunch
    One Fish Two Fish – seafood
    Mahi Mah’s – seafood

San Diego has a huge number of excellent restaurants, but there are a couple of favorites in Ocean Beach:

South Beach Bar and Grill – dive bar with great fish tacos
    Hodads – great burgers, usually a line out the door

highstick
    Participant

I thought the Roy rogers was on Hillsboro near Meredith.

It was when I was at State.

Wasn’t it on the corner of Hillsborough and Dixie Trail?

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

Pack78
    Participant

I thought that it was on Western just past Gorman-later converted to a McDonalds? But usually, we were there early in the AM ‘carrying a pretty good load’ as my late father would say-could be wrong.

YogiNC
    Participant

There ain’t a whole lot to say about PA restaurants…
    been all over up there… just everyday decent food and all the chains…
    nothing unique… except for Philly Cheese Steaks..

BOTB, I rarely disagree with you BUT…
    There’s this place in Blue Ball PA (Lancaster County area). Shady Maple Smorgasbord. Now you may think Yogi’s off his rocker in proposing a buffet place. Until you’ve been you have NO IDEA. Imagine Golden Corral on HGH and steroids PLUS, PLUS the food is really REALLY good. They have about 20 cash registers to take your money faster. Parking for 40 tour buses. And it’s about the size of two football fields. You can check out their nightly dinner features on their web site (Prime rib night is 20 bucks, and almost as good as what I cook, and includes beverages). Run by Dutch Mennonites. I lived in upstate NY for 4 years and a friend told us about it before we came “home” for a visit at Christmas. If I’m anywhere within 100 miles and have time we will sojourn there. And their breakfast!!! 10 bucks and it will be the best breakfast you have ever had at that price point. The baked french toast is to die for. 20 different kinds of pancakes with REAL maple syrup. If I could invest in that place I’d roll my 401K into it.

Smarter than the average bear

Fastback68
    Participant

Bill, Shoo Fly Pie Breakfast Lunch or Dinner

Pack78
    Participant

As an adult stayed with a Mennonite farm family one time on a Boy Scout trip to DC, Gettysburg, and Jamboree visit…had some of the best ice cream (14% butterfat, made on-site) there, breakfast was peanut butter on pancakes and just about OD’d on the Shoo Fly Pie in Blue Ball!

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 180 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.