Darn good places to eat

Home Forums All StateFansNation Darn good places to eat

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 180 total)
  • Author
    Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Chop, they’ve got some cheese and cracker stuff. I enlisted my mother-in-law to keep junior while we gorged. We hit up the other joint owned by the same chef the next night. It was also superb.

Interested to hear what bills favorite Wilmington establishments are. I was always partial to the bridge tender and I kept MOI and Saltworks in business in my early 20s

choppack1
    Participant

Asheville is a great food City. Been to farm burger, white duck taco and a great biscuit place there but never curate

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

WS67 — see above, page 1….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    redwolf87
    Participant

Muffaleta from Central grocery

Score.

Pronounced “muffalotta” of course.

Alabama Jack’s on Card Sound Road on the way to Key Largo. As much for the local experience as the food.

Better Than Sex, which is a great place to get desserts in Key West with decidedly racy themes. Really good place to take your open-minded lady.

Island Grill, Islamorada, FL. Breakfast. Kill for it. But they took a huge hit with Irma and the original locations are going to take some time to be restored.

redwolf87
    Participant

Bridge Tender is still outstanding.

Seafood Hut in Calabash has fallen off considerably. Management changed and the service has gotten molasses slow and the food is just average now. Hate that. That had become our goto in the Brunswick Isles.

Fastback68
    Participant

Sadly, we haven’t been to the hut in 3 years. Hate to hear it’s gone downhill. Been going for 30 years.

McCallum
    Participant

Island Grill-been there but I was awash in Miller Lite.

Red Apple in Woodville-everyone knows they have the best deals on malt liquor in the area.

NOTE: piss on kid menus. The young’uns eat what the adults eat.

Note: I believe Ken’s Grill has the 6 1/2 ounce Coke.

McCallum

TheCOWDOG

Speaking of 6 1/2 oz coke:

Madison Drug, Madison,VA; buisness 29.
    Ole time lunch counter with tuna fish sandwich that ya just can’t find no mo’.

RedRiver
    Participant

Keys Fisheries in Marathon.
    Damn,y’all making me hungry.

Fastback68
    Participant

Main Street Bakery, Hendersonville

wolfpackdawg
    Participant

A Husk just opened in Greenville, SC.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Are there food trucks down south? Here in the PNW there’s a lot of them, especially in Victoria. You get it on the street but it’s not “street” food. One of my faves is the Coast Lunch Box. Two of my fave dishes are the JERK CHICKEN CLUB NAAN WRAP w/ Marinated Fraser Valley chicken thighs, smoked bacon, pickled cabbage slaw & cumin aioli and the KOREAN BBQ PORK WRAP w/ Coast coleslaw, cucumbers, miso aioli and hoisin glaze in a flour tortilla.

http://coastlunchbox.com/#menu

The great thing is that the trucks are at the large (and small) events – music festivals, art events, sports, etc. and they really add to the experience because you can get great food at reasonable prices.

A few other faves:

https://tacojustice.com/

http://www.deadbeetz.com/

choppack1
    Participant

Uh yeah Plywood. More you can shake a stick at. Food trucks are fine at a brewery with ample seating.

McCallum
    Participant

What is A Husk?

McCallum

Pack1997
    Participant

I was always a fan of PTs Bar and Grille in Wilmington. Best damn burger and fried you ever had. My understanding is they are franchising out now.

44rules
    Participant

In Gainesville, Longstreet Cafe is a solid meat and 3. Local produce distributors said the two restaurants that demanded the highest quality produce in Hall County were – drum roll – Longstreet Cafe and Waffle House.

On Cleveland Hwy heading north used to be a place called Durango, I think. Don’t know if it’s still there. Best Mexican tortas ever. I liked that place better than the fabled El Sombrero restaurants, which locals dubbed “the hat.”

On Thompson Bridge Road heading north out of town on the right was a low slung building of a restaurant. Don’t remember the name, but they had killer fried frog legs.

Also on Thompson Bridge Road heading north, on the left near its intersection with the road that ran out to North Hall High School, was a place that served biscuits on one side in the morning and barbecue on the other side in the afternoon. Both sides were worth eating at.

Before Katrina, some joint on the Gainesville square used to have oyster happy hour – $2.95 a dozen – between 4 and 6 p.m. That’s long gone. I know they were just Gulf oysters, but at that price I could slather them with plenty of butter, garlic, horseradish, hot sauce or all of the above.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

4in12
    Participant

What is A Husk?

http://huskrestaurant.com/

… the shrimp & grits at the Washington Duke Inn topped them all.

Thanks, Yogi. I’ll be stopping by next time through.

ryebread
    Participant

… the shrimp & grits at the Washington Duke Inn topped them all.

Shrimp and grits is my “bucket list” meal, in that if I had one last meal before I kicked the bucket, what would it be? I order it at any restaurant that has it on the menu, and have had it all over.

Amazingly, the best I’ve had were not in the south………….

ryebread
    Participant

Capt Stanley’s in Garner. I seen Chuck in there a few times.

I’ve been there more times than I’d care to admit and I saw Chuck there a few times. I went because my grandparents loved it. The food there was best left for the doggie bag that they took home for their pet.

YogiNC
    Participant

Rye, I’ve had it all over too, and it takes a LOT to impress me cuisine wise (my avatar matches me well and well as the Yogi Bear persona). Take in the Dinner at Dusk special at Washington Duke. Three courses and the desserts are impressive too. That place went to the top of our list for THE dinner place to go in the triangle for special occasions. Oak Leaf in Pittsboro is pretty good too. I promise you that you’ll be impressed from the first bite.

Capt Stanley’s ain’t bad for a cheap meal of seafood. I grew up 20 miles from Calabash and the state of all the restaurants down there is pitiful now days. Time was (50s/60s/70s) that Calabash was known for fresh seafood straight off the boats that pulled up to the dock around 3 PM everyday. 99 % of all seafood places now serve from frozen. YUCK!

I still love oyster roasts because frozen is impossible there. That being said Horry’s on highway 9 at the Waccamaw River Bridge going into North Myrtle is pretty good. For really good east coast oysters head down to McClennanville (between Georgetown and Mt. Pleasant) on Highway 17. Pick up a bushel or two and roast ’em yourself. Many a day I rode 100 miles to home on my way back from the College of Charleston with 2 bushels in the back of my car. I can still remember that smell like it was yesterday. YUM!

Smarter than the average bear

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

At that time in my life…

In a class all it’s own….
    The Mecca on Martin Street… 100% Dombalis since 1930!

and then…
    Two Guys
    Char Grill
    Baxleys
    Fask’s Fish House
    Parkers BBQ on 401 North
    Rue de Paris

The title of this thread is “Darn Good Places To Eat”, isn’t it…

POP!!!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    highstick
    Participant

Seafood in Hall County!!!

Ha!!

Name of place, location, items or people of interest.

If you are in San Francisco look for a place called Frascsti. Mediterranean styled grub, food is good, place is small and people mind their business.

I was there giving a speech against modern art.

McCallum

As long as you’re in San Fran, check out Sam’s Chowder House in Half Moon Bay.

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

Texpack
    Participant

Baxley’s was the closest thing there was to a cafeteria during my days at State. I ate lunch there roughly 3 days a week. Good stuff

highstick
    Participant

Speaking of 6 1/2 oz coke:

Madison Drug, Madison,VA; buisness 29.
    Ole time lunch counter with tuna fish sandwich that ya just can’t find no mo’.

Madison? Meaning Madison Heights???…Holy crap, that place is nicknamed “Hog Town”! Late morning post deer hunting lunch across the river in Lynchburg has some great cornbread and pinto beans!

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

TheCOWDOG

^
    Did I say Madison Heights, Stick?

Specific location is what Mac says.

Nope. Downtown Madison, VA. Wilder knows it, too.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 180 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.