Darn good places to eat

Home Forums All StateFansNation Darn good places to eat

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 180 total)
  • Author
    McCallum
    Participant

I’d like to hear what you losers think.

First up: Cafe Rel in Franklin NC.

French Bistro in a gas station. Food is top of the line, cash only.

McCallum

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

If you’re in the coastal mood…
    I’d recommend Atlanta Hwy Seafood Market in downtown Gainesville

…. inexpensive and as good as anywhere on or off the water, except one…

they got Creole/Cajun too, if you’re feeling spicy…

The one is Uncle Billy’s Beach Bar, Grill and Urban Farm in my backyard where what we don’t grow, we catch or kill, for the most part….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    BassPacker
    Participant

First of all…..does Uncle Billy take reservations?

If ever in the north end of Lake Okeechobee area, the Speckled Perch is a must eat at place. Don’t go there if you want fish. They don’t serve fish, its a Steak House. And don’t judge it by the outside, just a plain cinder box building with dirt parking lot. It has a little bar room called the Bream Room, cold beer and $2 whiskey shots. No fish again as this is a mans man steak joint. If you order it rare, medium or well done, it comes out that way. Nothing fancy, just good eats.

SqlWolf
    Participant

Here are some places that my wife and I have recently been to and really like:

Larkins on the Lake at Lake Lure has a nice view on the lake. Folks can tie up their boat and walk right up to sit at a table outside. The food is good at a decent price.

Olde Hickory Station at the heart of old downtown Hickory NC. Their French Toast is huge plus awesome. Their Appalachian Benedict and Coastal Benedict are both very tasty.

We also really like Flying Biscuit Cafe in Cameron Village. There’s no bad choice on the menu there.

Pack1997
    Participant

Nellie’s Southern Restaurant in Belmont NC

In Winston I would go with QB Italian Slappy’s fried chicken, and Sweet Potatoes

McCallum
    Participant

Seafood in Hall County!!!

Ha!!

Name of place, location, items or people of interest.

If you are in San Francisco look for a place called Frascsti. Mediterranean styled grub, food is good, place is small and people mind their business.

I was there giving a speech against modern art.

McCallum

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Mc… I ain’t BS-ing… downtown Gainesville, Georgia…

As good a poorboys as you can get anywhere for that under $10 lunch…
    And you ain’t paying for real estate and atmosphere…

Let me know next time you down that way and I’ll introduce to my cousin…
    He’s a retired Army Colonel / Presbyterian Minister with Cows on Red Clay Hills…

I’m thinking ya’ll might get into some discussions…

Ha!

McCallum
    Participant

Gainesville daily baby.

McCallum

highstick
    Participant

Nellie’s Southern Restaurant in Belmont NC

In Winston I would go with QB Italian Slappy’s fried chicken, and Sweet Potatoes

I’ll second Nellie’s…Good food and music!

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

McCallum
    Participant

Kidd’s in Liberty NC.

Curbe service still used here. Working class, short order hot spot.

Owner can be an a$$ but was always good by me.

McCallum

TheCOWDOG

Irma Hotel, Cody, Wyoming. Cherrywood bar, fresh Pike and lamb fries.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

OK… ya’ll might have guessed… I like to cook and some say I’m pretty good at it…
    the reason for that is I spent alot of years traveling and eating in restaurants — all kinds, all grades… so you pick up a few things — like ‘don’t eat NO BBQ down in ‘Bama if the BEAR ain’t got his signed picture on the wall…

Anyway… I’d find a good recipe and come home and see if I could duplicate it… save some bucks and keep eating high…

Years later, by the time I got into the organic farming thing, I was bored sh#tless in the kitchen. When I discovered “colored veggies” it was like “wow! this is f’ing cool…” and along with that came a whole new batch of stir-fries and roasted stuff — most with some meat added… And there’s a bunch of veggies you can grow, you can’t find at the Food Lion — Romanesco, Rainbow Swiss Chard, Fingering taters… etc… and I ain’t going to WholePayCheck for groceries….

Anyway, these days when I go out to DINNER in a restaurant, I want to eat something I can’t/don’t cook at home…

Currently — my top two choices choice is Cerviches just this side of the Wrightsville Beach drawbridge on the R/S of Wrightsville Avenue… no surprise… the cerviche there is killer…

The other place here closed, but it was Moroccan cuisine… which like New Orleans is multi-cultural — the best of all the Mediterranean cuisines rolled together — the spices are extraordinary…

Restaurants down here come and go just like the tourists so I’m sure I’ll find something else interesting…

——————–

There used to be a Brazilian restaurant in downtown Charlottesville, Va in a basement… that was some good food — fried gator tail in a creamy spicy sauce for the appetizer — Feijoada for the main course…

And of course there’s Naw’lins… where Paul Prudhomme used to hang out… and no shortage of great places…

Damn, ya’ll making me hungry!!!

tractor57
    Participant

Back in the day before I was retired I traveled where textile mills were located. My first time in any town I of course let person I was there to see pick the place for lunch. Ate at a lot of otherwise nameless places where the food was decent and a few where the food was stellar. Given the time that has passed I would think most of them are now gone. There were also some fine dining spots where we would have dinner. Some were the chain places (fine dining in a mill town) but a few were really fine dining. Names I don’t remember in this case. Locally there was a little out of the way German Family restaurant. It has been closed for some time (I expect part of that was the lack of alcohol sales in the county) but the food was fine and the portions would feed a week these days.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

speaking of Naw’lins…

ya’ll check this out…

and you might want to be nice to Mama so you can snuggle up later…

Pack78
    Participant

Tony’s Ice Cream (they make their own) in Gastonia..the shakes are killer good and the livermush sammich is excellent.

McCallum
    Participant

Names I don’t remember in this case. Locally there was a little out of the way German Family restaurant.

If you were a damn woman I’d call you a tease.

THECowdog,

Thank you for following the guidelines and NOT indulging in a BOTB War and Peace missive.

Pack78,

Been to Tony’s several times.

Question: is that dump, The (Un)Sanitary Fish Market still open in Morehead City?

McCallum

McCallum
    Participant

Lamb fries?

Am I thinking what you are thinking?

McCallum

YogiNC
    Participant

Question: is that dump, The (Un)Sanitary Fish Market still open in Morehead City?

Yes it is, and still catering to the uninformed.

If you’re looking for something upscale for an anniversary or special occasion last spring we discovered the Fairview Dining Room at the Washington Duke Inn. They have special pricing for their Dinner at Dusk. It’s a bit pricy but the food is excellent and the atmosphere is top notch. It takes a lot for an eatery to really impress me, This place did it.

BOTB, I know what you mean about whipping up food you taste somewhere else. I have friends that have been after my best friend from high school and I to open a restaurant for over 40 years. My first job was working in a restaurant that my friend’s dad had opened. I learned early on that wasn’t my cut of life. He and I still break bread often and always try to one up each other with a dish. My winner from a little over a year ago was zucchini, yellow squash, asparagus and quinoa. It’s pretty tasty.

Smarter than the average bear

YogiNC
    Participant

Oh, almost forgot, flying fish ceviche on the island of Barbados. Take your pick of the restaurants. Flying fish is good stuff!

Smarter than the average bear

Greywolf
    Participant

When I think of good seafood, I think about Faircloth’s beside the bridge going into Wrightsville Beach. Of course it’s been closed over 50 years since the tore it down to put in the new bridge.

Capt Stanley’s in Garner. I seen Chuck in there a few times.

Can’t remember the name of it but it’s a Mexican rest. a few miles north of Santa Fe. The best Guacamole I ever tasted made right at the table. I could make a meal out of it.

rthomas44
    Participant

Seafood in North Myrtle Beach. Was treated by seed salesmen to Bimini’s. Great plate of fried seafood with huge, thick pieces of fish .

Fastback68
    Participant

Seafood Hut, Calabash/rock store BBQ, Stallings, 39 rue de Jean, Charleston, Fat Hen, between Kiawah and harbor town, prices chicken, Fran or Diane or Leann in Mount Pleasant, Endy’s on the way to Uwharrie National Forest, it’s gone, Doughton Park eatery on Blue Ridge Parkway, was supposed to be renovated and reopen, don’t know what happened, 2 waitresses had been there over 50 years.

Fastback68
    Participant

It’s Page’s in Mount Pleasant

Texpack
    Participant

League City, Tx
    Esteban’s – Best Tex Mex in Greater Houston
    Main Street Bistro
    Clear Lake Shores
    Joe Lees Seafood

4in12
    Participant

Husk in Charleston is pricey and a bit pretentious but they have the best shrimp & grits I’ve ever had (and I order that any time I see it on the menu).

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 180 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.