Darn good places to eat

Home Forums All StateFansNation Darn good places to eat

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 180 total)
  • Author
    Pack78
    Participant

Tex-Had really good Mexican (at least to this NC native) at Joe T Garcia’s in Fort Worth way back when…still there and still good?

choppack1
    Participant

I see a thread like this, I realize it’s been a while since I have had a special meal.

So here’s a couple from a while back:
    Crawfish Monica at the fairgrounds for Jazz fest.
    Barbeque oysters @ redfish.
    Charcoal grilled oysters @ acme.
    Muffaleta from Central grocery
    A burger joint in Austin, TX that resulted in me making a subtle change to my own burgers.
    Italian mix from some small grocery delivery in Albany
    Pastrami @ Katz deli nyc

Fastback68
    Participant

Acme Oyster House New Orleans??

TheCOWDOG

Lamb fries?

Am I thinking what you are thinking?

McCallum

Yes.

choppack1
    Participant

Acme Oyster House New Orleans??

Yep.

Fastback68
    Participant

^The wife says it’s awesome, she travels across the country and knows all the good local places.

BassPacker
    Participant

Flying Fish !!! You nailed it Yogi !! Its worth the trip to Barbados just for it. Last time there, ask our taxi guy to pick a place he would go for lunch, it suggested flying fish sandwich and chievece at out of the way local dive on the beach. Told him take us there and will buy him lunch. Add some Bajan pepper sauce and a cold Banks or Piton beer….heaven.

Also Biminis at NMB is good choice. Its a little local dive bar/grill with plastic beach chairs and paper plates but the food is as good as the atmosphere. A must go place when visiting my parents can reach by golf cart. None of the cookie cutter type buffet joints can top it.

Another small out of the way worth the drive gem is the Lake Gaston Pizza grill next to the Food Lion on Eatons Ferry Rd. Don’t let the name fool ya, its got some good food made by owner Pete. Petes Pig Wings in a molasses pepper bq sauce it worth the trip. I always stock up on the bq sauce to use on my grill feature wings and chicken. Also try some of the best she crab chowder or Crab, Shrimp & Corn Bisque served with sweet cornbread this side of the mason Dixon line. Wash it down with a cold local craft beer. Just ask for Pete !!!                         

YogiNC
    Participant

As one who’s favorite dish, bar none, is Shrimp & grits, and I have spent a great deal of time in Charleston (was stationed there in the Navy), I’ve tried just about all of the incarnations of said crustacean and corn purveyed in the Holy City (local jargon for the city of Charleston). Some better than others of course.

At almost 64 I’ve had many years of travel to taste that dish in many a place, and in most places I eat that have it on the menu I’ll try it. To my surprise the shrimp & grits at the Washington Duke Inn topped them all. The other surprise that happened on our first visit there was my wife claiming the chicken breast she ordered had a sauce that made it the best she had ever had. Add to it outstanding service and it’s a recipe for a top notch dinning out experience.

Husk does it pretty darned good, but you don’t have to travel 4 hours to get what I think is the top of the heap for that dish.

Smarter than the average bear

McCallum
    Participant

Name, place, location

This thread is the start of an NC State travel culinary guide. Nothing new please and NO DAMN CHAINS.

Side comments are needed but have the first three clear and concise.

Ken’s Grill on Hwy 70 near LaGrange NC. Short order Mecca, all items good.

McCallum

choppack1
    Participant

Fastback – she is right. It took me a long time to want oysters any other way.

wirogers
    Participant

Red Apple in Lewiston/Woodville, West Rowan Cafe in Salisbury, and Ricks grocery in West Rocky Mount; all are hidden gems on the back-roads of life!!

Fastback68
    Participant

Chop, I tried for 17 years but oysters, sushi and mussels were a no go. She finally had a 3 day interview in NYC. They went to Nubo (spelling?) and Tamarins (Indian). That trip changed everything. She sent me some photos of acme and their oyster feast. I’m an oyster hound so it cut deep.

Texpack
    Participant

Tex-Had really good Mexican (at least to this NC native) at Joe T Garcia’s in Fort Worth way back when…still there and still good?

Not sure. I don’t get all the way to Ft Worth very often

Texpack
    Participant

As one who’s favorite dish, bar none, is Shrimp & grits, and I have spent a great deal of time in Charleston (was stationed there in the Navy), I’ve tried just about all of the incarnations of said crustacean and corn purveyed in the Holy City (local jargon for the city of Charleston). Some better than others of course.

At almost 64 I’ve had many years of travel to taste that dish in many a place, and in most places I eat that have it on the menu I’ll try it. To my surprise the shrimp & grits at the Washington Duke Inn topped them all. The other surprise that happened on our first visit there was my wife claiming the chicken breast she ordered had a sauce that made it the best she had ever had. Add to it outstanding service and it’s a recipe for a top notch dinning out experience.

Husk does it pretty darned good, but you don’t have to travel 4 hours to get what I think is the top of the heap for that dish.

Yogi the afore mentioned Main Street Bistro has an outstanding shrimp and grits with a Cajun twist.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Tonight at Uncle Billy’s Beach Bar, Grill & Urban Farm…

Gumbo In Da Pot!
    Gumbo In Da Pot

POP!!!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    McCallum
    Participant

Mmmmmm……gumbo.

Bacon grease as the base for your rue?

McCallum

TheCOWDOG

Wasn’t directed to me, but if one doesn’t use bacon grease for gumbo rue, and NE clam chowder…what’s the point of making it? Okra and file in gumbo+

Location/Name: Wherever I set up shop

choppack1
    Participant

Fastback – Yea. You missed it. I have eaten some around here and the effort is there but they come up woefully short. And the topper is the fresh french bread served with it.

I have come to the conclusion that of I can’t have acme or Drago’s (whom I have also heard good things about) – I will have none.

Now, more recently, I have become born again as a fresh oyster man – if the place passes some sanitation and freshness guidelines. They are really good as well.

Went to a little place on Meeting street in Charleston. The servers were snooty (for being restauntuers) but the oysters we’re awesome. Probably would have been a shame to char broil em

choppack1
    Participant

Fastback – if you like food New Orleans is a required destination. Of course, they cheat. Lots of butter, salt.

I want to try rendezvous sometimes in Memphis. I was hoping I got this gig that would require a 4 week stay there just so I could try it out.

McCallum
    Participant

Never can tell these days TCD.

McCallum

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Recent favs – Peninsula Grill in Charleston. My wife worked in the Charleston food and wine scene for while. Still haven’t tried Husk.

Raleigh – the bad. Don’t believe the hype, Brewery Bhavana blows. Bida Manda is far superior.

You fools probably never had the pleasure, but since bill is talkin long gone restaurants, the best Italian to ever visit NC was at in joint in Wilkes County called Sunny Italy. kitchen Roselli in East Bend is a relative, with of the same dishes, but the ingredients and sauces just aren’t Mama’s

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Okra and file in gumbo+

Okra – check…
    File – check…

Bacon grease as the base for your rue?

Bacon — Sorry to disappoint — which is a polite way of saying BRO—areyouf’ingcrazy =- NFW Any Authentic Cook uses store bought bacon…

Fried Out Salted Streak O Lean — check…

Plus….
    Andouille sausage — check…
    Fresh 12/16 Shrimp off the Boat — check…
    Stock – Strained, boiled shrimp heads and skins plus fish heads && crab shells and parts you can’t eat…

And you gotta know the rules and how to break ’em….
    a dash of powdered cloves…

AND with a tip of the strawhat to the Geechees and Gullahs down around Charleston….
    and to R.Thomas…
    FRESH ‘MATERS from the backyard….

FWIW… I almost got in a little tussle one day with a CoonAss down in Gonzales, La as to whether or not it was appropriate to put ‘maters in Jambalaya… which is required in Charleston for Red Rice….

I done told ya’ll… why go out and spend $$$ on real estate and atmosphere when you can eat at home… and avoid the hassle of riding in taxis or having a DD…

POP!!!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Whiteshoes67
    Participant

And gulf coast oysters suck. I’ve always been partial to Stumpies and Pamlicos, but my mind was blown away a few years ago by smaller New England varieties off the Maine coast.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Asheville – curate. Go early, eat and drink until they have to carry you out.

Millers Creek – igloo. Best dog in the foothills.

choppack1
    Participant

Curate must be good. I have heard too many different people from different backgrounds to think otherwise.

Do they have a kids menu? There, now you see my problem.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 180 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.