Darn good places to eat

Home Forums All StateFansNation Darn good places to eat

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 180 total)
  • Author
    ryebread
    Participant

Yogi: I’ll give the Washington Duke a try. Who wouldn’t want to add another great Shrimp and Grits to their food quest?

I’m not a food snob, and one of my greatest pleasures is to find cheap eats that are as good or better than an expensive place. For me, price and food quality don’t necessarily equate. It is more about freshness, prep and flavoring. I’ll give a place some extra points for good service.

Having said that, Captain Stanleys just is not that. Half the stuff in there is out of the cans, and I’d guess the fish is frozen. There’s not a price low enough for me to consider that “good” food. It is calories. <shrugs>

I would agree about Calabash. There’s nothing down there worth the drive based on what I have sampled. I feel that way about all the fried seafood houses that litter the coastline.

I agree with those suggesting Cajun restaurants. After S&G, if gumbo or jambalaya are on the menu, that is what I’m going for.

Becton901
    Participant

… and the rumbling low frequency chant vibrated through the hall at 3am…. “char-grill, char-grill, char-grill…

Is it still there?

Fastback68
    Participant

^Yes, hamburger hut – No

ryebread
    Participant

Becton901: The last time I checked, there are various Chargrills. While I think the product they put out is probably about the same as it was 20+ years ago, I think there’s a lot more competition. When I was at State, there was Char-grill that was better than something like McDonalds or Wendy’s but wasn’t as expensive (or as good) as Fat Daddy’s. It was really the only thing in between. Now there are things like Cookout and Five Guys.

For my money, the best price/taste low to mid level burgers are Five Guys and In and Out. I’d rather have either than Chargrill.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Beef Burger, double meat super cheese. Or the Balogne Supreme.

Cape Fear Seafood Company is solid also.

YogiNC
    Participant

Trust me Rye, I’m far from a food snob, if it’s good I’ll eat it, within reason. I draw the line at o’possum. Yep, capt Stanley’s does sell stuff out of a can but it’s hard to find cole slaw in a can so that’s usually fresh, and frozen french fries have been everywhere for a very long time. I will go there for the senior fried shrimp plate if forced to.

As for Oak Leaf in Pittsboro, the first time I went there they had Golden Tile fish. OFF THE SCALE! Too bad that is not readily available, it was delicious. They usually have one or more fish items and it’s always fresh. Wife had a ribeye that was pretty good too.

Smarter than the average bear

Becton901
    Participant

Yeah, but it was hard to beat back then at 3am. The only time I saw Jimmy V up close and spoke was at CharGrill around that time of morning.

McCallum
    Participant

Char-Grill had a noticeable decline when they let women start working there.

McCallum

Becton901
    Participant

Anybody remember Mable at Hamburger Hut?

Becton901
    Participant

Sacrilege! Only men with scars worked there late 70’s early 80’s. Do they still use the chute that you slide your order down?

4in12
    Participant

Our 3:00 AM pilgrimages were usually to Krispy Kreme

Pack78
    Participant

Since old defunct places in the wee hours are up for discussion: Can’t believe that the Double R burger at Roy Rogers on Western hasn’t been mentioned!

ryebread
    Participant

I’ve heard from the younglings that CookOut on Western has passed Chargrill for a late night burger run. I will admit the shakes are far better at Cookout, though I think the burger is better at Chargrill. The fries are bad at both.

WolfBlood86
    Participant

Prego’s Trattoria in Burlington NC. Best Italian I have had outside of Italy. Don’t go there if you ain’t white apparently (Google review).

Charleston Burger Company in Charleston SC DUH! Fried mac and cheese on your burger. Enough said!

choppack1
    Participant

As someone who went to the original cook-out…I thought their burgers were good – but not any better than Char-Grill, not that much better than a Wendy’s Double quite frankly.

In the early 90s, I lived right down the road from it. It was pretty good – but it was just basically a fast food burger. Char-Grill was much more memorable. IN and OUT was better than both in my opinion. I have driven by both Char Grill and countless Cook-Outs, and sadly, in the case of Char Grill anyhoo, don’t find myself craving them. I do know next time I’m out west, I’m hitting in and out burger.

As someone mentioned above – Fat Daddy’s had great burgers (they and Fuddrucker’s used the same kind of bun, which definitely enhances the overall “burger” experience.) I have also been to Bad Daddy’s – it’s good – but not great. Hop-Burger in Greensboro is pretty good. As mentioned earlier – Farmburger in Asheville is a favorite of mine. They marry the burger, a good beer, a place you can take a kid, fast service, but still feel like you are eating OUT better than any other spot around here.

Becton901
    Participant

Double-R Bar was a good alcohol absorber.

Becton901
    Participant

I thought the Roy rogers was on Hillsboro near Meredith.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I thought the Roy rogers was on Hillsboro near Meredith.

It was when I was at State.

tractor57
    Participant

In my day it was just down Hillsboro from Nelson. Next to the hardware store – but then I’m older than dirt.

Fastback68
    Participant

My brother parked at the hardware store his freshman year in 1974 with paid permission of course.

ryebread
    Participant

chop: That’s where I’m at. When I’m back in NC, I don’t go to Chargrill or CookOut, but would go to Chargrill before CookOut. When I’m out west, I always find time to make it to In and Out.

All this burger talk made me hungry, so I took a quick trip to 5 guys. Ahh, the once a month grease bomb…….

13OT
    Participant

The best of the gone and probably forgotten would include Faircloth’s (seafood) at Wrightsville Beach, which was mentioned earlier. It was an old barn-like building sitting next to the draw bridge over the Intercoastal Waterway. Soft drinks in bottles and lots of fish! Sauls Barbecue (not to be confused with Bob Sauls Barbecue on the 2-lane South Saunders Street going into Raleigh) was good stuff- was located on 15-A south of Raleigh, now 401 at 1010, or McCuller’s Crossroads. There was a neat little hamburger drive-in on Downtown (now Capital) Boulevard north of downtown Raleigh, called Bell’s. It was almost across the road from the Piggy Park Drive-In, where the Kix DJs did their nightly thing. Also, there was a great diner on Martin Street in downtown Raleigh, which was called the Capital (Capitol?) Restaurant. It was in a railroad car and they piled on the food at cheap prices. And if you needed something to do on Sunday night, you could play Putt-Putt at the corner of Western Blvd and Avent Ferry Road, where Mission Valley is now.

As for beef, Char-Grill is still to me the best hamburger around, although it would be perfect if you could get Five Guys fries with it. And steak- does anyone remember the Old Pro’s Table in (North) Myrtle Beach? Never had a better steak anywhere.

Becton901
    Participant

Being from East campus, we ate at Sadlack’s a bit. The John Hill’s Delight and the Dr. Frank’s Special were good sandwiches.

I guess Sadlack’s is no more?

Being from rural Stanly County, we never had any type of “ethnic” food. I remember the first bagel I ever saw was laying in the hall. I thought it was some kind of donut. It was hard as a rock and we played hockey with it for days until someone stomped it.

44rules
    Participant

So other than the Hall County, Georgia locations I mentioned above (exclusively for McCallum, because why the hell anybody would go from somewhere to Hall County if they didn’t have to is beyond me), are international joints up for discussion? If you’re ever in Paris, go to Boullion Chartier.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

choppack1
    Participant

Rye – 5 Guys is pretty good. Burgers are one of those things I can cook really good on my own (at least, to me, my burgers are every bit as good, if not better than 5 guys, cook-out, char-grill, etc) – and I’d rather be drinking beer on my patio grilling the burgers myself with whatever tunes I want than sitting in a booth paying an extra few bucks to have the process outsourced and tunes I don’t control and sanitary conditions I don’t control either.

Rye – regarding Cook-Out – you gotta watch out for Greensboro “boosters.” I like Greensboro, but there are lot of folks there who are very loyal to the town -and really champion things coming out of there. Cook-Out, Natty Green, Red Oak, Crafted – these things are pretty good – but sometimes, even within the town itself (especially true with Natty Green/Red Oak) – there’s a better alternative.

Becton91 – Sadlack’s was a victim of “progress.” It’s gone, I think they are building a larger building on there now. Joints with personality seem to be sorely missing on Hillsborough Street.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 180 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.