CFB Coaching Carousel

Home Forums StateFans Football CFB Coaching Carousel

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 238 total)
  • Author
    Fastback68
    Participant

He is staying put

pakfanistan
    Participant

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

WRAL reporting the same…

OK…

I guess the pressure’s on Dr. Debbie && DD to correct the coaching deficiencies and fully respect the 8 wins a season MINIMUM he’s worked so hard to achieve….

GO PACK!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    WolftownVA81
    Participant

I think DD or his agent nearly overplayed their cards. Now enjoy the rest of the carousel.

ryebread
    Participant

DD staying. Not surprising. I hope we didn’t up that buyout.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Good news I suppose. But I’ll go ahead and warn you fellas, first loss next year and he’s getting a verbal reaming from me.

Edit: Also, Tenn gets the ole fashioned “point and laugh”. What a train wreck they’ve got over there. Making Lee Fowler look useful is an incredible task.

Gowolves
    Participant

Looking back whose to say that Doreen’s agent dragged out the negotiations from October because even at that time there was considerable speculation there would be at least 5 openings in the SEC. That would have been the smart play. Maybe he was never leaving but why sign early?

Then leak out that talks have been contentious. He was never going to Ole Miss. Why take over a program that has potential sanctions coming and going into the Deep South when most of his life has been upper Midwest. Doreen had leverage and I don’t think he overplayed his hand. He got exactly what he wanted.

ryebread
    Participant

I don’t think he overplayed his hand. He got exactly what he wanted.

I don’t think he had any real leverage, but I agree that he got what he wanted. I actually think that Yow got what she wanted too. She didn’t want DD to walk away. Do that and she likely would not have been allowed to pick the next coach. The best thing for her would be if DD were still around.

The question became how to get the $$$ people to agree to a bigger deal. Tennessee and the rolling ticker on the bottom of ESPN last night evidently got that done. Win/win/win for Yow, DD and his agent.

I suspect we’ll revisit this in a couple of years. I could be pleasantly surprised though.

My question is to the Greys of the world. Do you still love all things DD? I pretty much view him the same as I did before.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Tennessee could end up with Kevin Sumlin. Don’t think that would be a bad hire at this stage.

Yep, we better not have overpaid.

YogiNC
    Participant

My question is to the Greys of the world. Do you still love all things DD? I pretty much view him the same as I did before.

I take it you included me in that roster. I think he could have handled it much differently. I’m sure Tenn didn’t call him directly at first but rather went through his agent. And I’m also sure he could have had his agent bring him a number without him being in direct contact. Then he could have not acknowledged anything until he had worked out things with DY. As the old saying goes “perception overrides truth”. In this case the perception would have been that he was determined to stay at State from the beginning rather than playing the ends against the middle. The old squeeze play brings a degree of dirt with it. You may be safe at home plate and still get called out. Too much risk vs. reward. The other side effect is those who were not overly fond of him in the first place have more ammunition.

Smarter than the average bear

Pack1997
    Participant

Yogi, it depends on why you weren’t a fan in the first place as to ammunition. This does nothing to add fuel to my arguments. Mine have always been about him as a coach. As a coach you have to max out your value, sometimes that means putting one school against another. In his defense, he may not have been the one to leak it. It seems the whole world knows what UT is doing before they do. Drawback to doing it yourself versus a search firm.

tractor57
    Participant

Same story next year if he continues to win. I agree with Yogi that things could have been handled in a more PR friendly mode but maybe the not so friendly mode was the desired thing.

YogiNC
    Participant

pack1997, I think he sorta ‘poked the bear’ of those who have never cared much for him in the first place. He could have easily been PR friendly, to quote tractor, and still accomplished the same thing. To State fans it would have appeared that he didn’t seriously consider the offer and was loyal to State it would have scored him brownie points. He stated that he nor his family wanted to leave, but to some those words ring hollow in the light of how the deal went down.

Smarter than the average bear

gso packbacker
    Participant

With regard to this situation, most of us only know what we’ve read.

My sense (what I read somewhere) was that in not signing earlier, he was hoping that he won another game or two and to gain more leverage (that means he didn’t love the proposed deal, btw). Since he didn’t, that led to him “looking” elsewhere to get said leverage.

Not sure if that is what happened, but it seems VERY plausible.

tractor57
    Participant

He is surely in Al Davis mode now – just win baby. Had he done things more PR friendly maybe not so much but I agree with Yogi he has poked the bear.

freshmanin83
    Participant

I wonder what the Vols fans are thinking right now.

I think it is a good thing for Pack football but the proof will be in the future.

freshmanin83
    Participant

Could someone help me out with what it was that Coach Dave Doreen said that would mean he talked the talk but did not walk the walk if he takes the Tennessee job?

He HAS a contract. Granted that don’t mean squat anymore to way too large a number of people, but from my side of the fence it does. 99.9999% of us (we’uns) that sign a contract fulfill that contract. For instance car loans, mortgages, you know REAL LIFE. Your word. I also had 4 contracts with the Navy. Bad juju if you break that one. DD’s talk from day 1 has been that he was here to build a program, and he got a contract, i.e. walk the walk. The truly honorable thing to do would be to say “no thanks UT”. It sure as heck would win him brownie points both with the administration AND the fans. Honor, Duty, Loyalty go a long way to instilling bonds. Just one of them things I learned early on in life from a man that lived all 3 every day he took a breath. And there are no shortcuts to any one of them.

I like what you said about honoring commitments to contracts that you agree too. I am not sure that all contracts are the same.

Are coaching contracts written now with the understanding that the coach can leave/or be fired before it is finished.
    Are coaching contracts written now so that if they do fire a person the university will not pay the full amount of the contract but just a portion of it?

So would you think significantly less of or quit pulling for NCSU if they fired someone before that coach’s contract was up?

StateRed44
    Participant

We hung on to a guy we know can get us 6 ACC wins here and be a play or 2 away from 7-8. This is not conjecture about an up and comer but data points at our university. Much more solid info than any potential hire could offer outside of a top 5 guy. Even Jimbo Fisher and guys like Harbaugh have serious question marks IMO. Could always go back downhill a little next year, but with recruiting seemingly picking up and the feeling of the overall plan and culture I think I’ll take the bird in the hand and say “the trend is your friend”. Good move by all parties.

tractor57
    Participant

DD staying is not a totally bad thing but he has burned a lot of fan support with how this played. I’m not so bothered but many will be and a slip means he goes.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Had he done things more PR friendly

Multiple guys saying the same thing…
    so I ain’t picking on anybody… esp. T57…

BUT… maybe DD wanted to stay the whole time, and maybe DY was the one who wasn’t responding to PR friendly…

So basically he/his agent put her in a corner and helped her sh#t or get off the proverbial pot…

In which case, I’m 100% sure SHE did the right thing, at least for herself….
    No Damn Way she wants to hunting for a Football Coach, right now…
    or ever again, if the truth be told…

SO… win or lose… we still got Coach DD…
    could be / has been worse…

WRAL reporting In State Recruits love it…

I’m just hoping the DEAL including some real money for top shelf assistants….

POP!!!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    StateRed44
    Participant

DD staying is not a totally bad thing but he has burned a lot of fan support with how this played. I’m not so bothered but many will be and a slip means he goes.

If people are really pissed he turned down a million more per year to stay at State they are imbeciles. Even Valvano used to flirt with offers and he set our program back decades by becoming his own boss to get more money. In life people look out for themselves, everybody does. Ridiculous that people are immature about perceived slights to a football program that has no real history other than ancient conference titles.

tractor57
    Participant

This ^ but we know how it goes.

McCallum
    Participant

It is just business ladies.

Nothing personal.

Peace out

McCallum

highstick
    Participant

It is just business ladies.

Nothing personal.

Peace out

McCallum

Sometimes folks don’t understand that Mac…but you’re definitely right.. “Making sausage gets ugly and some folks just can’t handle it”.

It is what it is!

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

Greywolf
    Participant

I’m just hoping the DEAL including some real money for top shelf assistants….

$750K to be distributed per Doeren’s discretion. Don’t know if that includes the money for the 10th coach soon to be OKed.

Most folks want an up-grade in our DC. That would be my druthers along with absolutely keeping Ledford and McDonald.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 238 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.