CFB Coaching Carousel

Home Forums StateFans Football CFB Coaching Carousel

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 238 total)
  • Author
    ryebread
    Participant

I don’t know our budget situation well, but also wonder to what extend the Gottfriend buyout hogties Yow’s hands in terms of salary flexibility. I know we went relatively cheap on KK base to start, but it’s my understanding we’re still paying Gottfried. Are we impacted by that bad hire?

Not only was it a bad hire, which some of us were pretty vocal about, it was a god awful contract renewal. Gott wasn’t leaving for UCLA, and we threw a king’s ransom in guaranteed money at him. This smells like a very similar situation, for very similar results, with some of the same parties…………..

If DD did walk, it’d show me that Yow had learned something. If we hear him back with more base (less incentives based) and more buy out, then I would argue that it is time for her to go (and I like her). I hate to say it, but it is looking like lose/lose for the AD.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

it’s my understanding we’re still paying Gottfried. Are we impacted by that bad hire?

Good question and I wish that I knew. But if Gott is affecting negotiations, its not the “hire” that caused a budget crisis, it’s the extension/raise that Gott received just before the wheels fell off.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster
    TheAliasTroll
    Participant

What a circus! Clowns abound!

If Goofball leaves we’ll be the ones holding the bag of excrement. Tennessee can’t even get Brohm to leave.. and now their best candidate is DD?! Imagining who we end up with is frightening.

I saw this coming a mile a way though. I knew if DD even sniffed a whif of success he’d jump right off our stepping stone asses at the drop of a hat.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

What makes this really amusing though is the Vols fans thought they were getting Lane Kiffin and now may just end up with 15-25 ACC record Dave Doeren. Brings a grin to my face let me tell ya what.

Vols fans hate him already and he’s not even coached a practice snap!

Pack1997
    Participant

I don’t think thats the case Alias. I think many coaches have turned down Tenn because of the AD. Everyone knows he will be fired for how bad this search has gone. The fans ran Schiano out before he was hired, while I agree he wasn’t a fit, the way they did it was ridiculous. Plus it’s the SEC where coaches don’t last. I think a number of the coaches who turned down Tenn would strongly consider us.

I think Chad Morris would be a solid hire. Kitch would be a solid hire. There are plenty of coaches out there just as good if not better than DD who would consider us.

tractor57
    Participant

We are in a better place today if DD leaves than we were when he was hired. Money might be an issue but at least there is some football talent on the team now. If he chooses to leave I can’t do anything to stop that. I also am not one to moan about a coach leaving for “better” opportunities (Lou did, Bo Rein did). I’m not sure TN is a better place currently but that is not my call.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Schiano covered up child molestation. He deserved far worse. They should have put a pitchfork up his arse.

Objectively speaking I’ll never believe NC State would be able to lure a coach over Tennessee. I think that’s wishful thinking.. maybe a little NC State fan biasness going on there. At the end of the day the SEC is the destination, not the ACC. Big boys want to play against other big boys and get paid like a big boy.

Pack1997
    Participant

All true, unless the guy hired you is about to be fired. Also knowing the fan base will be clearly upset by any hiring that isn’t one of the top 3 coaches in college football. The circumstances in this case don’t lend itself to be a better situation than where you currently are as a coach except pay.

As for Schiano who knows what he saw said etc while at Penn State. I will say that the fact only one person accused him of knowing anything makes it suspect. That combined with the fact of the 400 people investigated, deposed etc he wasn’t one says alot. If he did know something then he should rot in hell. The evidence points in the opposite direction though.

tractor57
    Participant

AT yes the SEC is the desire for many – most of those are now on the trash heap. So my point from a couple days ago remains – more money but more likely to be fired quickly. That is the final thing. If you can run with the big dogs and recover the TN program you win in the short term. But if you cannot you will not have 5 years to sort things out.

skitchwolf
    Participant

Like most of us here on this board, I’m not inside the football program so I don’t really know what’s going on in the sausage factory. It appears from where I’m at that DD has tried to emphasize a wholesome “Band of Brothers” approach to team-building and I THINK that the on-field success is, in part, attributable to that. I KNOW these guys are not Boy Scouts and that they’re not having Bible studies when they’re not studying game tapes, but it does appear that he is trying to discourage the worst of the bad habits/attitudes that some of them bring with them from some very bad background situations. (Evidence being the quick jettisoning of two freshmen who were clearly off to a bad start involving weed, women, and whatever this fall.) It also doesn’t surprise me that a number of players might not like him for this approach – or for just being kind of an “all business” kind of guy. As I see it, he’s the CEO of that little corporation and the guy on the assembly line doesn’t have to like or approve of his personality/methods. Let’s face it, we all gripe about the boss from time to time and I expect football players are no different. As many have observed: Winning solves everything.

As for assistant coaches, I have no problem with letting him manage them, pay them well, and provide them with some security year-to-year as long as the coach’s last name does not correspond with any television character’s last name once played by Bill Cosby after 1968. (Thus, any coached named Heathcliff, Cliff, Alexander, Scott, or Scotty, is a perfectly acceptable.)

gso packbacker
    Participant

At one time, didn’t Gott and Doeren have the same agent? If it is still the same, I wonder how that is impacting Debbie and how she is playing out things currently?

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

All true, unless the guy hired you is about to be fired.

Well if true then we’re in the same predicament. Yow not going to be around much longer either. I just don’t see a coaching search for us going swimmingly.

The circumstances in this case don’t lend itself to be a better situation than where you currently are as a coach except pay.

and better resources, and more money for your staff, and tradition and prestige, and easier recruiting.

If he did know something then he should rot in hell. The evidence points in the opposite direction though.

Interesting. I have no evidence and haven’t researched into it more than just what I’ve heard/read. Probably should dig into more than that before spouting off things as vile as that about another person as fact. Thanks for the info.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I had to google Chad Morris to find out who he is. Here’s a summary of places he’s been tied to this time on the carousel.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/smumustangs/2017/11/29/latest-smu-head-coach-chad-morris-whirlwind-day-reports

…if Doeren leaves North Carolina State, Morris would seem like a good candidate there, too. Before SMU, he was the offensive coordinator at Clemson, so he is familiar with the Carolinas and the ACC. He also interviewed for the NC State job in 2012, when Doeren got the job.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I just don’t see a coaching search for us going swimmingly.

The last several FB coaching searches went far better than the BB searches that ended up with Lowe and Gott in Raleigh. Both TOB and DD were “reasonable” hires, even if neither was considered a home run.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

1. At this level… they don’t make a formal offer without first confirming a 97%++ assurance of acceptance…

2. More Important!

Can we get DD && his Big Orange on the schedule next season? Home or Away, don’t matter…. I just would want to play ’em with DD at the helm….

Our boys would get up for ‘dat!!!

Chubb would probably figure out how to run the sidelines and inadvertently tackle DD…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    freshmanin83
    Participant

Could someone help me out with what it was that Coach Dave Doreen said that would mean he talked the talk but did not walk the walk if he takes the Tennessee job?

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Bruce Feldman Twitter
    (@BruceFeldmanCFB)

#Tennessee coaching search update: Source tells me #NCState’s Dave Doeren who the #Vols have now targeted, has a contract offer in front of him from NCSU with increases compensation and years, as well as an enhanced salary pool for his staff.

Pack1997
    Participant

Bill, Chubb would def steal his towel. Alias no worries on Schiano. He always came off as a DB to me. I just heard those facts on ESPN radio while driving. Heck until the this Tenn stuff I didn’t even know he coached at Penn State in any capacity back then.

As for DD, who knows what will happen. We just don’t want to overpay in a contract we cannot get out of later. Thats the most important aspect.

ryebread
    Participant

As for DD, who knows what will happen. We just don’t want to overpay in a contract we cannot get out of later. Thats the most important aspect.

That is the most important part. He’s two game 12 wins against UNC from us possibly already having to deal with a buy out. If he leaves, so be it, but do NOT overpay with anything guaranteed to get him to stay.

At one time, didn’t Gott and Doeren have the same agent?

Yep. It was rumored, but never confirmed that Yow did as well. I don’t think the latter is true, but there is clearly a relationship with that agent, which is part of how we got DD in the first place.

1. At this level… they don’t make a formal offer without first confirming a 97%++ assurance of acceptance…

As poorly as Tenn’s search is being run, I don’t know if I believe that in this instance. Maybe DD does have a formal offer, and if so, good for him. Maybe there’s a handshake deal, like what we had with Calipari. We’ll find out more in a few days. I still think that it is likely he is our coach next year.

albunde55
    Participant

I don’t care if he goes, but he takes recruits with him. DD has recruited and developed a team that can compete with Clemson, FSU and Notre Dame. DD in game decisions make me shake my head, but he gets paid for his opinion, I don’t. Based on our financial situation, this may be our best. We do not have 5 million to pay a big name coach. I want to drive a Porsche, but I don’t have the money. That means I purchase a Ford and go to work trying to earn the money for the Porsche. We need to earn the reputation to be able to afford better. Not to be a “butthead”, we are not there yet.

albunde55
    Participant

Hope Yow has talked to Kevin Sumlin’s agent. One deal breaker, has to give up the damn visor. Standard hat or no deal!

YogiNC
    Participant

Could someone help me out with what it was that Coach Dave Doreen said that would mean he talked the talk but did not walk the walk if he takes the Tennessee job?

He HAS a contract. Granted that don’t mean squat anymore to way too large a number of people, but from my side of the fence it does. 99.9999% of us (we’uns) that sign a contract fulfill that contract. For instance car loans, mortgages, you know REAL LIFE. Your word. I also had 4 contracts with the Navy. Bad juju if you break that one. DD’s talk from day 1 has been that he was here to build a program, and he got a contract, i.e. walk the walk. The truly honorable thing to do would be to say “no thanks UT”. It sure as heck would win him brownie points both with the administration AND the fans. Honor, Duty, Loyalty go a long way to instilling bonds. Just one of them things I learned early on in life from a man that lived all 3 every day he took a breath. And there are no shortcuts to any one of them.

Smarter than the average bear

Nuke
    Participant

On the upside, when was the last time a NC State Football HC was recruited or hired by another team? Monte Kiffin in 82? At least to others it looks like we hired a winner after TOB.

Fastback68
    Participant

Yes and No coming out of K Town. Nobody knows

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 238 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.