CFB Coaching Carousel

Home Forums StateFans Football CFB Coaching Carousel

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 238 total)
  • Author
    TheAliasTroll
    Participant

It’s also remarkable to see such widely divergent hairstyles being targeted in the same search.

This is a quality top notch observation, my dude!

Fastback68
    Participant

Vol fan listed a 5 year comparison between DD and Butch. Not even close.

Pack1997
    Participant

Anyone ever heard what our players think of DD? I have which is why I am not a fan. That being said remember only about 25% if what you read for coaching searches is accurate.

For record I think Chad Morris would come to State.

TheCOWDOG

^ The only thing to believe from any player is if the first word out of their mouth is:
    “He made us winners.”

Many a player felt wronged along the way, but almost all will cop to winning, #1.

tractor57
    Participant

I think DD should explore – I would (and did) in my field when I was offered a chance. Generally I said no as the money increase was small. Here we talk about millions with the caveat that it might only be for a couple years. DD leaving would set us back a bit but we still have the foundation he established. If he cannot live within the NC State framework and can get a “better” job I’m good.

TheCOWDOG

For the record, I ain’t giving DD the keys to the car.

He has not shown me the belief in sitting in that driver’s ed class. Ya know? You got the wheel, but your instructor gotta brake, too?

Let him walk, if he wants. He has not made them beleive.

Give the passenger brake to Des.

Fastback68
    Participant

State 3mm, 5 years
    UT 4.5 mm, 5 years

Will sleep on it

Fastback68
    Participant

I guess we find out tomorrow what DD believes.

YogiNC
    Participant

As usual I’m with Grey on this. And I believe CD is in that same category. He talked the talk but isn’t walking the walk that goes with it. IF he had won the Clemson and Wake games he could have written his own contract. Rocky top won’t be so forgiving of losing the close ones, or going oh fer in conference. If that bunch had a brain they’d get Fulmer back in there.

Time to cut him lose. Loyalty is one of the top 3 traits of a great employee. Above all else I thought that’s what Dave was, obviously I was wrong. And to be totally honest I’m p1ssed I was wrong. Yow should put a contract in front of him with a big buyout clause and say “Sign it”. If he doesn’t then pack all his crap up in boxes and sit them in front of the Murphy Center and change the lock on his office, TODAY. Loyalty goes both ways.

Smarter than the average bear

YogiNC
    Participant

And if DD walks go get Manny Diaz. that one was worth a nickle.

Fastback68
    Participant

Loyalty is a double edged sword.

ryebread
    Participant

I don’t have a problem with the man interviewing. I tell people to do that all the time, but be up front with their boss that they’re doing it. Word always gets back….

We may well have DD next year, but if so I would never t give him a dime more than the automatic extension. I would up the contracts of the assistants that I thought were good. From the outside that looks like OL, RB and WRs.

DD may walk as well. I think Tenn would be foolish to hire him, but I may be wrong. He’ll have some built in advantages there that he doesn’t have here but he is going to have to get much better at his weaknesses very quickly. They’re not going to give him an 0-8 season regardless of what he inherited.

If DD walks, I’d give Kitchigs a try as the head man. There is quite a bit of good with the program but also quite a number of issues as well. Kitchinga has seen it all, as well as TOB, so maybe he can make the needed changes (like Dabo did).

I’m not a “told ya so” person but it is nice to see some coming around. My read on this thing a few weeks back was that DD would be trying hard to find his next thing. This hasn’t surprised me at all. Remember how quickly he left N. Illinois to come here. He left effectively in the middle of the night, before the biggest game in their program’s history, but also seemingly before it becoming glaringly obvious against FSU just how much of a house of cards that really was….

Pack1997
    Participant

Cow I don’t disagree with you on the winning aspect. I should have chosen a better description. They don’t respect him. I think we have solid position coaches etc who do most of the coaching, which is the way it is supposed to be in football. I just have rarely seen that much disregard towards a coach.

Fast are you suggesting we haven’t been loyal to DD? Majority of schools would not have kept him around after his first 4 years.

Rye I am on the same page as you. If DD does walk give Kitch the keys and use the extra money to pay for high caliber assistants.

Pack1997
    Participant

Also outside of the money I see no reason to want to coach in the SEC. The failure rate for HC is through the roof due to the expectations.

YogiNC
    Participant

Loyalty is a double edged sword.

Trust me FB, i know that all too well. Had a career in the Navy and then worked for the same company for 16 years until they decided they needed to improve the bottom line and let 200 senior people go. They wound up having to hire back over 100 of them. When they asked me if I’d come back I said “Not only NO but

NO!”. But loyalty IS loyalty and it does go both ways.

Last year DY stuck with DD but was firm in that certain expectations were in place. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever. It’s the bosses job to convey performance expectations. Did we catch some bad breaks, yep, but that goes with the job. Above all the rest the inability to find a place kicker drives me nuts. But this year has been better, the best in quite some time. But by the same token the thing that drives a faction of State’s fan base nuts will be exponential at Rocky top. That bunch was stoopid to let Fulmer go and they have done very little close to that since he left. Long suffering is not a trait for almost all of the fan bases in the SEC. How many coaches in the SEC other than Nicky have been on the same job for over 4 years? And as a football conference they are the best from top to bottom. If you don’t believe it just ask them. Only one coach has been there at least 4 years other than Nicky, and some of the schools have had 2 coaches in that 4 ywears. DD better take a long hard look before jumping into that frying pan.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Tennessee twitter is hilarious.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Well… it appears that the Big Orange fans will continue to realize less than their expectations for a another couple football seasons with DD heading west prospecting for gold and getting plenty of green….

So… my question is this…

Looking around the CFB scene in the cold, sober light of day…
    WHO’s this year’s college football version of Kevin Keatts?

Regardless of that answer…

IMO we must keep Coach Kitchins…
    He’s the key to our recruiting….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    tractor57
    Participant

If DD finds Rocky Top is better I have no real issue. I agree with BOTB about Kitchins.

Fastback68
    Participant

GoVols 247 is comedy gold with regards to DD.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

DD is a terrible fit for SEC. He either thinks too highly of himself, he or his family (meaning wife) are just plain dissatisfied here, a combination of both, or he and his agent are flat posturing for a raise (which is certainly fine). Knoxville is a hole (Sorry TN folks), certainly not as nice a place as Raleigh. He would be run out of TN in a heartbeat. With GA on the upswing, even with with built in recruiting advantages and budget, his game management and decision making will not allow him to move that program up the SEC east at the speed required to succeed. I suspect he knows this as well.

Worst thing DY could do is overpay. I’m fine with getting him close to middle of pack, renegotiating incentives for performance, and upping the assistant pay for some coaches (not all), and including incentives for those assistants as well. But anything more, let him walk if he thinks the pastures are greener.

ryebread
    Participant

I don’t think Tenn is desperate enough to hire DD. If they are, then so be it. Unlike NC State, they won’t give him 5 years to get to 8-4 and spend some of the year in the top 25. He’s got 3 tops. He’s going to have to up his game quickly.

While I don’t think DD is particularly smart, he’s not dumb either. If he fails at NC State, he won’t get another head coaching gig that is going to pay like ours. He’s got two options:
    1) Leverage whatever market value he has to get the most guaranteed dollars from us. That’s base salary, but more importantly buy out.
    2) Get as much as he can out of UT in base and buy out. If he can make more in 3 years there with the buy out than he could in 5-7 here if successful, then he’d be a fool not to take that.

The good thing for Tennessee fans is that they know on some level that if DD (or another candidate) doesn’t work out, they’ll be proactive in solving the problem. At NC State, we’ll give a guy like DD a lifetime contract and build him a statue made from the muffler bowl participation trophies.

It could work for both parties. Tennessee has so many built in advantages that the talent alone (and money for assistants) could allow DD to show quick improvement. I’m also not convinced that the conference is as good as it was 5 years ago. Sure it is top heavy (Alabama, Auburn, Georgia were all good this year), but the bottom isn’t scaring anyone. UT isn’t exactly going up against a murderer’s row of coaching talent either, and the East isn’t what it was 20 years ago. Florida is down. Is Smart the real deal at Georgia? Will Muschamp? Vandy and Kentucky? Looks ripe for the pickings to me. If I were DD and Tennessee offered me the numbers that worked with my calculations, I’d take it.

Fastback68
    Participant

I’m taking a page out of Bill’s playbook by going to the beach for 4 days. My eyes are seared after reading both pack and vol sites for days.

ryebread
    Participant

My god, we’re actually playing ball according to JPG. An improved offer? I wouldn’t give him a dime more given he’s been out courting. He let Canada go for similar reasons (well and other reasons).

I would double down on a handful of assistants though. If that’s the improved offer, then I’m fine with it. DD though wouldn’t get another additional dime out of me.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

I don’t know our budget situation well, but also wonder to what extend the Gottfriend buyout hogties Yow’s hands in terms of salary flexibility. I know we went relatively cheap on KK base to start, but it’s my understanding we’re still paying Gottfried. Are we impacted by that bad hire?

tractor57
    Participant

It is contract talk. Maybe he walks or maybe he doesn’t. One thing never again call out NC State fans for not being in their seats at the beginning of the second half. That is my one big issue with DD.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 238 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.