CFB Coaching Carousel

Home Forums StateFans Football CFB Coaching Carousel

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 238 total)
  • Author
    choppack1
    Participant

Every one done good here. This is a win win as the situation could have been.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Grey…

I’d upgrade our OC first, and then spend what’s left…
    recruiting some Amerson type DBs and a Field Goal Kicker….

just one man’s opinion….

POP!!!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    choppack1
    Participant

Botb – drink is pretty good. He just needs to improve red zone efficiency. He does that and quite frankly he’s a top 5 OC.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^ he’s, or somebody higher up, likes the home run swing too much especially when he/they should be running the ball…

To Wit… 1st and goal at the Wake Forest 11 yd line with 2 minutes to play and the game in your hands… plus numerous other occasions…

Yeah… he’s better than TOB’s boy… so what?

Yeah… the wildcat is a proven way to lose 5yds everytime…

Yeah… we averaged probably 400 yds a game, I ain’t looking it up, but we lost games we might have won where if there had a modest modicum of ball control, especially in the last 20 minutes…

And yeah… if he had had an Old Testament tailback, things might have different…

Pretty good ain’t exactly cutting it….

So FIX THIS… one way or the other…

TheCOWDOG

Fix the safties first. Tbey already got a head start on LB by inserting Pratt…LB Nicholson had a boatload of plays as a true Frosh in ’16. Bet y’all forgot about him. His brain didn’t, probably just in time.

Let Drink work. Focus on who can play 42 with symbiotics.

Gowolves
    Participant

It’s been rumored that he was butt hurt about the rumors he would have been fired if he lost last year to UNC. If he is going to let that get to him then he is in the wrong business. That’s what you get in the coaching business, fair or not. Be strong and accept it. TCB and let everything else go. I’m sure it’s easier said than done.

DD, I’m happy you stayed. Keep it going.

ryebread
    Participant

I don’t think Drink is a better OC than Bible. Bible put two straight QBs in the NFL, and did it with a OL that was 1/2 as good as the one we have now. Bible was probably TOB’s best assistant.

I know the boards hate Hux, but I just cannot believe that DD isn’t heavily involved in the defense. I hate the 4-2-5 (at least how we play it), but is that decision Hux’s or DD’s?

I like the OL, RB and WRs coaches. Spend some of that keeping the three of them happy. Spend some
    More on an actual Special Team’s coach. Spend some on Thunder because the team looked in shape to me.

McCallum
    Participant

Don’t forget, 5 plays from 11-1.

1 long pass
    2 special teams (kick off and punt returns)
    1 long run
    1 fumble at goal line

That is pretty close gentlemen.

McCallum

YogiNC
    Participant

Don’t forget the offsides that wasn’t called.

Smarter than the average bear

Pack1997
    Participant

No offense but that is just crap. We weren’t 5 plays from 11-1. That is fan speak to make you feel better about the season. Those plays while important don’t guarantee the outcome of those games. A stop earlier in the game or a 3rd down conversion that was missed could be just as important. Whose to say those teams don’t march down the field for the winning score?

A better point would be, if our offense could have played well in 3rd quarter, we probably win those games. We are an 8-4 team due to many issues, most importantly though is kicking and safety play just as COW said.

Have y’all looked at the schedule for next year? Even with this team we probably finish 8-4 7-5 again. Unfortunately we will be a little worse, so we hope we can get back to that mark. If DD finishes the regular season with a winning record next year I would consider that a good year. Not a knock on him, just the way things are lining up. On the bright side Wake also takes a big step back, BC probably gets better, as does UNC.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

None of the flirty silliness with DD will be remembered if he maintains/builds on what he did this year. Continue to win and all the drama BS will be forgotten. Regress and all the drama BS will be right back at the top of everyone’s bitch list.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Don’t forget, 5 plays from 11-1.

1 long pass
    2 special teams (kick off and punt returns)
    1 long run
    1 fumble at goal line

That is pretty close gentlemen.

According to the old Professor in the Statistics department…

Yes and No…

The difference is the athletic equivalent of means and standard deviations…

Given the obvious weaknesses…
    1. weak DBs…
    2. no tailback…
    3. wildcat on 3rd down… i.e. dumba## play calling and questionable reads, numerous OPIs on pick plays, etc. …
    4. weak snapping and kicking on field goals and special teams, except for the punter..

Let’s say the mean is a 6-6 record for the season…
    From that we can estimate the probabilities of the occurrence of both positive and negative events…

If we say 8-4 is 1 standard deviation to the good from the mean…
    Then 11-1 would be 2 standard deviations from the mean, OR MORE…

The difference between 1 & 2 standard deviations at the same time is both close and yet so far away…

Now the old Stat Professor’s best friend is an old Economics Professor and he suggested looking at this another way, that is economically…

The marginal cost of achieving the difference between 1 & 2 standard deviations is more or less equal to achieving the distance between the mean and 1 standard deviation to the good.

GO PACK!

albunde55
    Participant

Rye, going o have to give you a “whoa nelly” on OC bible. You have forgotten all of 3rd and 8 draw plays! Followed by a 4h down punt! Thought wins and losses were how you judged a coach, not players in the pros!

McCallum
    Participant

No offense but that is just crap. We weren’t 5 plays from 11-1. That is fan speak to make you feel better about the season. Those plays while important don’t guarantee the outcome of those games.

Nothing offends me. No need to preface opinion with apology.

Those five plays were directly responsible for 35 points. Four direct play touchdowns for the opposition and one direct touchdown taken away by the opposition. That is a 35 point swing in a series of games (SC, Clempson and the lucky sperm club) that was decided by 20 points in total.

The offense generally scored enough to win, except at ND where State was not going to win BECAUSE their offense was running the State defense over, in every game. Four of those plays were single stand alone plays, game changers.

And finally, defense wins championships.

McCallum

choppack1
    Participant

CD – I didn’t forget about Nicholson. He went out in the USC game this year and is now done with football.

And you are correct, he played a lot of snaps and all indications were a high football iq. He is a big loss for the lb core. I don’t think I would have been concerned about that position with him and Pratt.

But you are right about the safeties. Josh Jones was a huge loss…as would be expected. But we gave up way too many big runs in 2017. The good news is that improved the last 2 games. Whether that was opponent related or something was “fixed” is TBD.

McCallum
    Participant

Opposition related.

McCallum

13OT
    Participant

The upside to this is that AD Yow won’t have to make another HC hire in football, at least not for now. The team and fans can now focus on the upcoming bowl game and recruiting.

The downside to this is that we’ve just signed on a coach for 5 more seasons who has, in his first 5 seasons, gone 15-25 in ACC play. There will be significant personnel losses for next season, and the media has stated that next season will likely be a “down” season.

If a coach can get a 5-year extension with the above numbers, he’d be a fool to go somewhere else where he’d be expected to win right away or move on, especially when the money was about the same. Low expectations has become the modern “State” of Wolfpack football. It doesn’t appear likely to change anytime soon, not with the people we have in charge of the athletic program right now.

YogiNC
    Participant

We also lost Nichols early on. He was a capable RB who could have filled in when Hines went down.

rthomas44
    Participant

STATE fans do not have low expectations…they have reasonable expectations. Except on this site. DD was left a mess by TOB that took years to turn around. Rome wasn’t built…etc. Looking forward to a great bowl game.

ryebread
    Participant

If wins and losses are the bottom line, then Bible and Drink look very similar to me. One could argue that Bible had some much better overall records on teams he coached. I didn’t love what Bible did with Glennon because I hated that we conceded the run (that scheme was perfect for Wilson), but Drink’s not the OC savior that some make him out to be. His one year at Boise was the WORST offense (and more importantly record) they’ve had in the last decade. They saw an immediate uptick the year after he left.

I’m not saying fire Drink. I’m just saying let’s be balanced. Are we better than the sum of the parts? I’m not so sure we were. I’d be rewarding the OL, RB and WR coaches. The parts are in place to do a lot. Hopefully the QB commit comes in and is the real deal, and we can say the same about Drink.

That 5 plays from 11-1 garbage is a strawman. It totally ignores what might have happened afterwards. The ONLY time a statement can be made about a single play is on the last play of the game, when the clock expires. It also ignores that we probably had 5 plays that helped get us to 8-4.

I’d say we were 8-4. That is exactly what I predicted. We did a lot of good things and have some things to fix as well (kicking, 4-2-5 scheme, red zone offense, etc.). Let’s go and roll up the sleeves and get better at the areas we clearly need to improve on. Talent and getting that class in is another one of them.

What we’ve done with this move is ensured that Yow will retire before we hire another football coach. I’m fine with that. A new AD is going to want to hire the football coach. I think that KK and Moore will be hires they’re happy to inherit. Avent will probably be set to retire in the next few years. My prediction is 3-5 years from now the fan base will think that DD = football version of HWSNBN. I would argue that it’s slightly different because of the inputs in football and basketball, and HWSNBN results may be perfectly acceptable (and lifetime contract worthy) at NC State.

Pack1997
    Participant

McCallum my point is there are lots of swing plays in a game. The ones we remember are the ones that stick out as controversial etc. We are more than a few plays from being an 11 win team. Its a matter of perspective ultimately but I have never been a fan of that mentality. For example Grey says we were one kick away from beating Clemson two years ago. Clemson fans counter with one less pick by Watson, and the kick doesn’t matter. Lots of swing plays.

As for the state of the program from DD to TOB, I find it funny. I remember many on here loving the fact TOB developed talent well. He never recruited well though, but many were ok with that. Now its flipped, we don’t develop players as well, but we recruit better players.

rthomas44
    Participant

The only thing I remember about TOB is he forced out Wilson. That is damning evidence enough.

Gowolves
    Participant

The only thing I remember about TOB is he forced out Wilson. That is damning evidence enough.

That’s hilarious!

tractor57
    Participant

Easy enough to castigate TOB for the Wilson thing but you also have to remember there were some other factors. RW forced his hand and if he kept Wilson Glennon was gone. At the time that was an issue. Today the NFL record might say otherwise but that was not the NFL. I’m no big fan of TOB but I can understand that decision at that time. What I never understood was to publicaly say he would give the ball to FB Gentry but never did. That attitude is an example why I’m not unhappy with his departure.

YogiNC
    Participant

Now its flipped, we don’t develop players as well, but we recruit better players.

Not sure I agree with that. With TOB he was lucky to get 2s and 3s, and the first 3 seasons DD didn’t fare much better primarily because of negative stigmas. That has changed in the last 2 classes somewhat BUT this years team has quite a bit of player development especially from the perspective of S&C. Both the D and O Lines are much better than the day they showed up. And LBs too. And a great deal of that is owed to coaching (assistants).

Granted improved recruiting helped because the upperclassmen were competing in practice against better opposition. From where I sit it is two pronged, both recruiting and coaching are much better now. One could argue that the top three could be better (lot’s of discussion of that already). Maybe we do fall off a bit next year simply because we are senior heavy. I’m not quite as concerned about that because what will be left after that class leaves is tons better than what DD inherited in his first year.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 238 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.