Basketball in Blacksburg

Home Forums All StateFansNation Basketball in Blacksburg

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 292 total)
  • Author
    Whiteshoes67
    Participant

In gottfrieds case, I think the past 2-3 coaches and their sluggish starts color judgment.dont confuse maximizing potential and establishing a foundation with core principles with the results of past seasons with core contributing players which he largely inherited. I’m not for canning him. But let’s be truthful, he inherited talented players with solid role players that had underachieved and been unprepared. He improved performance but Imo he also underperformed after year 1. Regular season results and play matter.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I’d be willing to bet that if Henderson doesn’t get hurt, this team is 12-2 and we’re not talking about firing anyone. Doesn’t make the situation any better, just something to consider.

And I’d be willing to bet that if we had decided to rebound and make a free theow or two yesterday, we would have won. But…

Blackfish
    Participant

I watched the entire game, there just wasn’t any difference in play the same issues. Poor execution, lack of focus, no rhythm, no fundamentals at the free throw line, and that lack of poise at the end of the game.

While I love my pack its just appears that our cloud just keeps getting darker. I really don’t understand after your non shooting big man gets fouled and the game plan is obviously to continue fouling him because, well he cannot shoot the free shots you just sit there like you have no other options. This is not the first we have witnessed a loss when the team employed this strategy.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Explain to me how it was prudent? I dont think that is the word you are looking for here.

Shouldn’t have to explain it. Look around the landscape of major college basketball.

Three Hints: Market forces, stability, recruiting.

But I know, if you had your way, Yow would fire Gott and replace him with Chuck Amato.

tjfoose1
    Participant

But yes, fire Gott. His Free throw offensive sets are horrendous.

PK Pollar
    Participant

fire Gott and replace him with Chuck Amato

I read Coach Amato’s biography on the Akron website yesterday. It is a phenomenal write up and might convince others that Chuck is up to the task.

It really made me feel good about NC State football.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

fire Gott and replace him with Chuck Amato

I read Coach Amato’s biography on the Akron website yesterday. It is a phenomenal write up and might convince others that Chuck is up to the task.

It really made me feel good about NC State football.

Makes me sad to think he is really 69. Damn he had has so effing close. Once in a generation opportunity. If only Marcus Stone was a marginal qb who knows where we would be now.

PK Pollar
    Participant

Rick said

The only reason to give a guaranteed contact if if there is a chance to lose him. That does not appear to be am issue so it is not a smart financial decision.

I thought there was analysis on SFN that said that the downside to giving the contract was pretty minimal. If true the contract work kept the contract in line with going rates in the market (playing to Gott’s work satisfaction) and should promote stability (playing to recruiting).

I will agree that Gott is a good coach and isn’t yet in the pantheon of great coaches. Realistically, however, he did just deliver a S16, won our first Top 10 road victory since the year 2000 (we had 22 previous attempts), and hasn’t had a horrible year. He’s probably the best only “good” coach in NCSU history that spent four years in the position.

2015-16 might be a horrible year. I don’t like how we look, but the year hasn’t played out yet. That is why the games must be played first. You don’t get any extra credit for predicting the bad year in advance. You only get to suffer an extra year.

Rick
    Keymaster

But yes, fire Gott. His Free throw offensive sets are horrendous.

It’s too bad Gott can’t choose which players he coaches nor can be train them or decide which ones are in the game.

pack_time
    Participant

Can Dennis Smith actually play this year?

Wulfpack
    Participant

Can Dennis Smith actually play this year

Yes.

Rick
    Keymaster

Can Dennis Smith actually play this year

Yes.

He is eligible. It depends on his knee. Hopefully it heals quickly.

jimi eno47
    Participant

As Rick said, yes he can play. Technically, the very next game against Louie … however, Gott has already declared ( see post game statement) that “Dennis will not play this year … that isn’t even being considered.” Once again, I have to ask if he is here for only one year why not put him in as soon as he is able ? I mean if, and I hope/hear he is, Smith is ALL THAT good and will have a month of practice with the team at some level … he should be able to contribute. And I doubt if anyone is a 1/2 and done. I have to wonder if there are not some under the radar guarantees between staff/players and these early “arrivers” ( as compared to arrovers).

Wulfpack
    Participant

Scouting tonight Wake vs. Louisville, 8pm espnu.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Scouting tonight Wake vs. Louisville, 8pm espnu.

Danny Manning is looking like the real deal.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^Is anybody surprised ?

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Wulfpack
    Participant

Not surprised in the least. He has a good young squad. Gave Lville a run for their money on the road tonight. Really good young PG in Crawford. Deacs are jumping us this year.

Heelh8r
    Participant

Are you kidding? He’s just like Gott can’t coach a lick his guys can’t hit ft’s either.

Rick
    Keymaster

Are you kidding? He’s just like Gott can’t coach a lick his guys can’t hit ft’s either.

I am glad you are finally starting to agree with me.

ryebread
    Participant

I’m not sold on Danny Manning’s coaching, though I think he’s a heck of a recruiter. He’s also riding that new coach momentum.

No comments on the loss to VT………. I think I know “what we’ve Gott” this year.

Gott will be here for quite some time. I wouldn’t be surprised to see some shake up in assistants though.

Heelh8r
    Participant

I am glad you are finally starting to agree with me.

Haha you know I am just joshing with you, Rick. Just pointing out the difference we seem to judge our own coaches as opposed to someone else. I’d prefer we find the positives and point them out in our coaches and criticize the competition instead. It is easier to find fault than to recognize and give credit for the things that go right. A good example is, I haven’t heard anyone give credit to the coach for made ft’s but all of a sudden it is the coaches fault when they are missed and maybe he shouldn’t have even recruited the guy.

Heelh8r
    Participant

FSU looks strong playing UNCheat. They are running them to death. I don’t know how FSU lost to Clemson. Of course, I’m still trying to figure out how we lost to VTech also.

Tau837
    Participant

I wouldn’t be surprised to see some shake up in assistants though.

I have been hoping for this for the past couple of seasons. This is the best way to inject positive change, like new perspective on recruiting philosophy (e.g., let’s use all of the scholarships) and different coaching emphasis (e.g., more focus/teaching on defense and rebounding).

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

So the lowly Hokies snatch a win against the #4 ranked Arrogants from Charlottesville…
    who saw that coming?

More importantly, does this mean NCState’s RPI goes UP ???

Or is this ACCnormal….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    tjfoose1
    Participant

No, it means time to fire Bennett, obviously.

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 292 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.