Basketball in Blacksburg

Home Forums All StateFansNation Basketball in Blacksburg

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 292 total)
  • Author
    wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Just look at the list. Four guys likely to hit the beach in the next 5 years. Are we positioned to take advantage of the opportunity?

IMO the answer to that is NO. I think you need a young up and comer similar to UVA or Wake.

I pretty much agree with this. At this stage in the game where some heavy hitters are going to be retiring soon I would rather roll the dice on an unknown Archie or someone like that vs what we know we have in Gott.

Would it be too much to dream that we could snag Gregg Marshall back here if Yow isnt the AD anymore? I think he would jump at the chance to coach in the ACC at a reputable school. Just dont want UNC or Duke to get him.

Wulfpack
    Participant

You’d have to throw a lot at Marshall to get him back in these parts. He’s making $3.3 million at Wichita, where basketball is king. Keeps getting raises. He has really established a nice program there. I don’t know if that ship has sailed or not.

If for whatever reason our job were open, my first call would be to Archie, if he’s available. It’s the obvious choice. Only a matter of time before a major program snatches him away from Dayton.

Wulfpack
    Participant

The commenting is down and I suspect that you’ve nailed the reason for the reduced chatter…the results on the field/court aren’t producing anything that people want to discuss.

That’s the way I see it.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I think you need a young up and comer similar to UVA or Wake

I don’t think UVa hired an up and comer in Bennett. When they hired him away from Washington State, he had already made quite a name for himself. He was the AP National Coach of the Year in 06-07. He won 26 games in each of his first two years at Wash State, which is unheard of (it’s a basketball graveyard). He had two tourney appearances in three years and took the Coogs to the Sweet 16 in year two. He finished second and third respectively in the conference in his first two years. He was indeed a hot commodity that was looking for the right situation. UVa fit the bill. And I think we can all agree it was a stellar hire.

Manning on the other hand took Tulsa to the tourney in his second and final year. Won the conference. But anyone with half a basketball brain could tell you he was going to be a good coach (and obviously recruiter). I’ve seen several (including Self) announce that in print – how it was a no brainer. Up and comer? Not so sure. Both of these were can’t miss hires.

Rick
    Keymaster

I think you need a young up and comer similar to UVA or Wake

I don’t think UVa hired an up and comer in Bennett. When they hired him away from Washington State, he had already made quite a name for himself. He was the AP National Coach of the Year in 06-07. He won 26 games in each of his first two years at Wash State, which is unheard of (it’s a basketball graveyard). He had two tourney appearances in three years and took the Coogs to the Sweet 16 in year two. He finished second and third respectively in the conference in his first two years. He was indeed a hot commodity that was looking for the right situation. UVa fit the bill. And I think we can all agree it was a stellar hire.

Manning on the other hand took Tulsa to the tourney in his second and final year. Won the conference. But anyone with half a basketball brain could tell you he was going to be a good coach (and obviously recruiter). I’ve seen several (including Self) announce that in print – how it was a no brainer. Up and comer? Not so sure. Both of these were can’t miss hires.

No hire is “can’t miss”. Sendek was the next Pitino disciple. There are plenty of examples of “can’t miss” actually missing because what makes a midmajor coach great may not translate to the ACC.
    Nonetheless the point stands that those two schools will flourish when the old guard retires and we will not.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

No hire is “can’t miss”….because what makes a midmajor coach great may not translate to the ACC

The example I always use is Pete Gillen. Skip Prosser, Thad Matta, and Sean Miller all moved up from Xavier and succeeded while Pete did not. Here is a little blurb from wikipedia:

From 1985 to 1994, Gillen compiled a 202–75 record, including the program’s first five wins in the NCAA Tournament. The Musketeers advanced to the NCAA Tournament in six of Gillen’s nine years at the helm. In 1990, Xavier beat Kansas State and future Big East colleagues Georgetown to advance to the program’s first Sweet Sixteen

I agree that when State next needs a basketball coach, that we should look at head coaches that were successful at lower levels. However, the past two coaching searches have shown that for whatever reason, State is not viewed as a desirable destination. So not only is there no such thing as “can’t miss”, there is no reason to think that State will have their pick from the lower levels.

Rick
    Keymaster

No hire is “can’t miss”….because what makes a midmajor coach great may not translate to the ACC

The example I always use is Pete Gillen. Skip Prosser, Thad Matta, and Sean Miller all moved up from Xavier and succeeded while Pete did not. Here is a little blurb from wikipedia:

From 1985 to 1994, Gillen compiled a 202–75 record, including the program’s first five wins in the NCAA Tournament. The Musketeers advanced to the NCAA Tournament in six of Gillen’s nine years at the helm. In 1990, Xavier beat Kansas State and future Big East colleagues Georgetown to advance to the program’s first Sweet Sixteen

I agree that when State next needs a basketball coach, that we should look at head coaches that were successful at lower levels. However, the past two coaching searches have shown that for whatever reason, State is not viewed as a desirable destination. So not only is there no such thing as “can’t miss”, there is no reason to think that State will have their pick from the lower levels.

I hate to admit it but it appears you are right in how we are viewed. My hope is resting on Archie but I fear the timing is going to screw us on that one. I don’t understand how VT can get a Buzz Peterson and we were just spurned. It could be related to the two ADs doing the hiring but it is more likely the school.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

^Jeebus folks…the basketball program and job is not viewed in a negative light. That’s ridiculous. Fowler bungled searches monumentally. Yow went after Smart and his wife didn’t want to move. He took a few years before going to Austin. Marshall has wanted the job twice–I repeat–two times, but he was miffed this last time that we offered Smart first (who had just beaten him in the NCAA tournament in a 5 v. 12 matchup). This was bad mojo on the part of Yow and any others involved in the search. Marshall has since beaten Smart head up several times. No way he comes here now. Should’ve hired him when he was at Winthrop.

Rick
    Keymaster

^Jeebus folks…the basketball program and job is not viewed in a negative light. That’s ridiculous. Fowler bungled searches monumentally. Yow went after Smart and his wife didn’t want to move. He took a few years before going to Austin. Marshall has wanted the job twice–I repeat–two times, but he was miffed this last time that we offered Smart first (who had just beaten him in the NCAA tournament in a 5 v. 12 matchup). This was bad mojo on the part of Yow and any others involved in the search. Marshall has since beaten Smart head up several times. No way he comes here now. Should’ve hired him when he was at Winthrop.

Ridiculous? Our last two searches were an embarrassment. We ended up with an alumnus who had never coached college and a basketball announcer whose last coaching gig ended very poorly. We were spurned by anyone and everyone. I hope it is simply a case of bad management by the ADs but the reality is the searches made us look like a negative place to go.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

^Jeebus folks…the basketball program and job is not viewed in a negative light.

As far as I can tell, this is wishful thinking. Even if you blame the insanity of Fowler’s coaching search totally on his incompetence, Yow’s search wasn’t pleasant either.

tractor57
    Participant

I agree with Rick up to a point. The Lowe hire was after a extremely poorly run search. I had hopes he could at least be adequate but that really did not happen. The Gott hire was at the end of another less than ideal search but he has at the least been decent. Long term maybe he is not the right man for us but I’m not quite ready to go there.
    Agreed this season looks pretty tough but I have seen some improvements – maybe far from enough but I will remind everyone we have had basically this same conversation at this point every year of Gott’s tenure. That may mean there are real and repeating issues or it may mean we simply don’t accept the general plan that Gott uses for a season.
    I’m not happy with the mid season results but the end of the year results have been the best we have seen in decades. The ultimate question remains is that enough?

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Who’s Buzz Peterson??? 😀

Agree the last search was a charlie foxtrot. For the AD to send out a letter to the wolfpack club for damage control in the middle of the search it must’ve been pretty bad.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Buzz Williams, Rick.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Saying the searches were bungled–as they were–is far different than saying we’re viewed in a negative light or that the job isn’t desirable. Isn’t desirable by who? For what reason? Multiple components go into a decision like that. Pay and contract, relocation of families, chance to compete for national championship. Because Smart turned us down, the job isn’t desirable or we’re viewed in a negative light. That’s bunk. Coaches were chomping at the bit for that job. Yow swung and missed on choice 1 (Smart). Choice 2 (Marshall) felt miffed because he should’ve been choice 1. Choice 3 (Turgeon) was too reverent of Roy and K. And as far as we know, there were others who didn’t particularly want to work for Yow. That’s far, far, different than saying our basketball program isn’t a desirable job. The backup plan was a solid coach, probably better than at least 1, maybe 2 of our top 3. THe Lowe debacle has nothing to do with desirability of the job. It had everything to do with incompetence of Fowler. Shawn Miller and others were begging for those opportunities.

redisgood
    Participant

I saw an article last year where Gregg Marshall said the NC State job was the closest he ever came to leaving Wichita State.

“Declining to name all the schools, Marshall says he has received several firm job offers from schools in the big five conferences, some offering close to $2 million a year. The closest he came to leaving Wichita State, he says, was probably in 2011 when he says N.C. State offered him the job.”

Aeight
    Participant

Don’t suspect there will be an opening here anytime soon, but if so Archie is a no brainer. An alum, has a fire in his belly, and can coach his butt off. His players PLAY. If he isn’t offered someone in the admin is insane.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I think there was legitimate interest in the job after Lowe was released. For whatever reasons the A list of candidates did not pan out. There is no question DY had to move to plan B. Gott has elevated the profile of program signifanctly. My best guess is we will be in a better position to hire a good coach when the time comes.

redisgood
    Participant

MG on tonight’s game:

“They’ve got some good players and we have to be ready to play”.

That’s why he’s getting paid the big bucks.

Rick
    Keymaster

MG on tonight’s game:

“They’ve got some good players and we have to be ready to play”.

That’s why he’s getting paid the big bucks.

You can tell when someone has the TV analyst experience.

redisgood
    Participant

I just hope the epilogue isn’t “We didn’t come out ready to play”.

StateRed44
    Participant

I think we are positioned better than we have been in 25 years. Hopefully we should know if Gott will take the next step program wise in the next 2-3 years I would suspect. If the time comes to part ways, prospective hires would realize the run of 2 HOF coaches is closing. The time to hire a real homerun would be right before they leave. I just hope Brad Stevens stays put in Boston (wrt our 2 neighbors).

StateRed44
    Participant

And no, we aren’t viewed negatively. I do think coaching against Roy and K has its disadvantages. When and right before they leave is our time to strike. I don’t want to compete in a coaching search with them either.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

For whatever reasons the A list of candidates did not pan out.

Yet people insist that State’s program isn’t viewed negatively.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

^And people associate not accepting a job with viewing said job negatively, which is ludicrous. I’ve turned down bigger paychecks multiple times, and it had nothing to do with viewing the job or institution negatively. The same is true here. The basketball program and head coaching job is desirable. Having the right people run a search, offering the right incentives, and timing means a lot. On the other end, personal goals and objective and happiness are equally important. There is no evidence that our program is viewed negatively. We weren’t going to lure Billie Donavan, Rick Pitino, Caliparri, Sean Miller, and lure away coaches at perenial top 10 teams. We were in the hunt for a few rising stars, we didn’t do due diligence, and our AD looked like a fool blasting one of the ACC’s great coaches in the process. And we still landed a solid, if not spectacular coach.

Wulfpack
    Participant

“Negative” is the wrong word. There was serious interest. You don’t show interest if a job stinks. We are certainly better than many other ACC jobs. There were other factors that worked against us – each situation was different. Regardless, I think it will be different the next time around. At least that is my sincere hope.

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 292 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.