Basketball in Blacksburg

Home Forums All StateFansNation Basketball in Blacksburg

Viewing 17 posts - 276 through 292 (of 292 total)
  • Author
    redisgood
    Participant

Unless of course we win it all this year, then the next time will be many years away.

StateRed44
    Participant

It’s the fans fault for wanting a winner.[sarc]

Wufpacker
    Participant

Two words…
    Cali. Pari.
    Discuss amongst yourselves.

tjfoose1
    Participant

X

tjfoose1
    Participant

Considering we’re now a MAC school, I’d say the results aren’t too shabby.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

There is no evidence that our program is viewed negatively.

BS.

It took forever on the last two coaching searches to hire a coach. Yow’s search went so poorly she wrote a letter to tell everyone not to lose hope. You can ignore that if you wish, but I’m not.

TheCOWDOG

She wrote the letter because she was following our EPIC THREAD.

Hey, Mrs. Smart got cold feet, and that ain’t anecdotal. Maybe she perceived our promgram negatively.

Marshall was close, but large egos do get bent sometimes. Oh, do they.

Va…dig ya man, but I’m callin’ your BS, and raising.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

VaWolf82, I normally agree with you, but not in this case. Couple changes in the landscape of college basketball–massive increases in college coaches pay in mid-majors and the ability to compete from those schools with the big boys–you no longer needing to run off to a “power” conference, particularly if you’re content and don’t even see it as that big of a challenge. The grass just ain’t always greener and the reward isn’t always worth the risk. Yow didn’t write a letter because NC State was viewed poorly or negatively. She wrote a letter because she tried to save face because media outlets all over the place were already announcing who’d turned us down. And she like letters. Hell, she’s more interactive and responsive than most AD’s. And she thought GW had somehow sabotaged the search, which is a crock. Comparing Fowler’s search with Yow’s isn’t really fair either, and that’s not an endorsement of the latter. My criticism of Yow on the past one was that she went for the fresh face, the rising star based on one tourney run, over a tried and true competitor and winner. I like Smart but that was a bad decision.

StateRed44
    Participant

I think it was okay to go after Smart first. Worked out fine for Marshall too. Wasn’t Lon Krueger a name floated in the last search or two. Seems most guys we considered and either missed on or passed over are tearing it up now relative to what Gott has done. And he hasn’t exactly face planted. I hope we get a decent sense of his ceiling here within the next 2 years.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

I think it was okay to go after Smart first. Worked out fine for Marshall too. Wasn’t Lon Krueger a name floated in the last search or two. Seems most guys we considered and either missed on or passed over are tearing it up now relative to what Gott has done. And he hasn’t exactly face planted. I hope we get a decent sense of his ceiling here within the next 2 years.

You dont have an idea of what his ceiling is now after 4+ years?

MrPlywood
    Participant

Considering we’re now a MAC school, I’d say the results aren’t too shabby.

And I like the little Apple logo too.

tjfoose1
    Participant

An idea? Yes, but just that, and idea. Would’ve been nice to play Louisville in the NCAA without a Cat Barber puking in the locker room.

He’s got 2 Sweet 16’s in 4 years. He has the top point guard in the country sitting on the bench healing up. He has an integral cog of this year’s team sitting on the bench healing. He lost the assumed team leader and returning leading scoring to an unexpected departure. He’s coaching a team with ONE guard.

I’d say he’s doing fine, thus far. Frustrating, yes, made more so by the peaks of his success, but unless you’re using a fanatical analysis, all things considered, he’s been successful. Doesn’t mean the pinnacle of his arc of success thus far should not be expected to rise.

So said many a Hokie fan in 1991.

tjfoose1
    Participant

And I like the little Apple logo too.

+2

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

If Shaka was the only coach that turned down State, then you would be right. But Yow didn’t send out the letter because one coach turned down State. Turning the discussion around, if State was positively viewed, then the last two coaching searches wouldn’t have both turned into disasters.

Wulfpack
    Participant

If the time comes to part ways, prospective hires would realize the run of 2 HOF coaches is closing.

Make that four Hall of Famers (K, Roy, Pitino, Boeheim). There is going to be a void to fill. As it stands today, I see UVa as being in the best position to take advantage of that void.

Wulfpack
    Participant

If Shaka was the only coach that turned down State, then you would be right.

There are different reasons why each guy turned us down. I don’t think any of them were because they viewed the job “negatively”. They were definitely interested. Very interested.

Bottom line, to me at least, is Gott has shown you can win here. We have ALWAYS been able to recruit top talent, even when we have stunk. That’s never been the issue. Maybe the next time around will be another disaster scenario, I don’t know. Or maybe there’s a qualified guy out there that wants it now and is just waiting his turn. Who knows.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Would just like to mention from the stripe tonight I saw two underhanded attempts and two air balls. Yep, that’s college basketball in 2016…

Viewing 17 posts - 276 through 292 (of 292 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.